Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

A Moog Filtatron experiment in accidental ‘implied music’ - Tacit

edited June 2021 in Creations

A recent discussion on the board about whether the Moog Filtatron app was still working properly prompted me to dig it out for a spin. Had it forever, but never really used it before, and of course it is only IAA, but a) it seems to run fine for me and b) - I say, it is rather good, isn’t it? :) Inevitably, one thing led to another, and I ended up making a whole piece with it, using several Varispeeded File Player loops, and a sample from Apolyvoks.

The weirdest/best thing though was all the sort-of chordal progression here comes from a more or less accidental application of a slow triangle wave LFO from MiDILFO’s automating the gain of the mid band range of WOOT. It seemed, somehow, to suggest other harmonies and notes I never put in there, and made me think about an ‘implied music’ which happens in the gaps between the planned stuff… Psychoacoustic madness! :smile:

Comments

• @Svetlovska said:

The weirdest/best thing though was all the sort-of chordal progression here comes from a more or less accidental application of a slow triangle wave LFO from MiDILFO’s automating the gain of the mid band range of WOOT. It seemed, somehow, to suggest other harmonies and notes I never put in there, and made me think about an ‘implied music’ which happens in the gaps between the planned stuff… Psychoacoustic madness! :smile:

Nice! I’ve had this filter forever as well. Thanks for the reminder,

I love it when “implied music” finds its way!

• @Svetlovska said:
    A recent discussion on the board about whether the Moog Filtatron app was still working properly prompted me to dig it out for a spin. Had it forever, but never really used it before, and of course it is only IAA, but a) it seems to run fine for me and b) - I say, it is rather good, isn’t it? :) Inevitably, one thing led to another, and I ended up making a whole piece with it, using several Varispeeded File Player loops, and a sample from Apolyvoks.

I like this! I was using it mostly for drums with a simple bassline, makes me want to try something more melodic.

• of course you would do something really great with filtatron
    i think i'm in love with your track :heart: :love: :sunglasses:

• edited July 2021

I downloaded it during the Bob Moog birthday giveaway by Moog, but had no idea what it was or what it did. I’ll give it a spin. Nice piece, by the way.

• edited July 2021

@Edward_Alexander : thanks for the listen. :) I looked up ‘implied music’ when I was thinking what to call the thing to nail the feeling I had that somehow there was something more there than I had consciously put in, and discovered there is an actual, proper clever music theory idea, where people who know what they are doing can deliberately write phrases which play with the audiences learnt expectations of where the music should go, to create a kind of auditory illusion.

I am most definitely not claiming that this was going on here, of course, not least because music theory might as well be written in ancient Babylonian for all the sense it makes to me, but I do note that - interesting - things seemed to happen, for me at least, particularly when some of the passages were kind of dissolving at the point of distinct audibility into the general reverbed background, and I found myself mentally filling in little tone clusters here and there that weren’t actually there. Or indeed, here :)

@circledsquare : glad you liked it! Yes , I’d probably use Filtatron a lot more, it has quite a few cool features, (I have only just realised, duh!) but for that whole IAA thing. You have to remember to open it before trying to add it inside AUM, no save state, etc… It’d be fantastic if ever an AU version got made, but I somehow doubt it this far down the line…

Oh @senhorlampada, you could make a grown girl blush! (flutters fan coquettishly. Effect, overall, is frankly disturbing.) :)

But seriously - thank you for those kind words! :) It was another track which seemed to want to pull away from my usual sturm and drang into something a little lighter, even, dare I say it- cheery? (Rinses mouth with salt water and spits vigorously.) I can’t, I mustn’t do upbeat! Think of my reputation for miserabilism!!!

@NeuM : definitely worth a try, especially if you make a file player recording of some live tweaking on the xy pads…

• @Svetlovska said:

But seriously - thank you for those kind words! :) It was another track which seemed to want to pull away from my usual sturm and drang into something a little lighter, even, dare I say it- cheery? (Rinses mouth with salt water and spits vigorously.) I can’t, I mustn’t do upbeat! Think of my reputation for miserabilism!!!

You draw us into the dark waters with your siren call, with the protection of dagon spawn that absorb the energy of your somber tracks :smirk: :heart:

• Opened the app and played around with it, but found it does not work at all with GarageBand.

I did like the sounds I could get out of it as a stand-alone.

• @Svetlovska said:

A beautiful airy piece showing up your lighter side!

• I’ve also had this app forever & probably never used it on anything

• edited July 2021

@barabajagal said:
    A beautiful airy piece showing up your lighter side!

Aargh! I do NOT have a lighter side. It… it must have been a trick of the light, is all.

Yes, yes,that’s it.

A trick of the light.

It just made the gloom look… soft….

• But only for a moment!

…Oh no.

What would HP say?

• 🤣😂😆

• Very Very nice!!!