Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

No Simple AU Automation Recording App for AUM? (Soon to be Solved)

Comments

• @rs2000 be great to that drambo patch and the AUM patch on Patchstorage!

• edited September 2022

Some great tips here.I‘ll buy drambo a bit later,currently i have a list with some fx i want to buy now.

Can i delete unwanted channel in midi mixer? I need exactly 4 (well,plus master) and not more.

@espiegel123 thanks,i tried LK myself now and ido like it.I can see myself using it as a sequencer for a few hardware synth.One thing i couldn‘t figure out:is there a way to increase the resolution of the automation?

panflow is also a nice tip,already downloaded.

• @Poppadocrock said:
    @rs2000 be great to that drambo patch and the AUM patch on Patchstorage!

There's really not more to it than what I've shown in the screenshots. No hidden modules or tricks 😉

• But we can add more ;) How about a Buttons module with 8 buttons that mutes/unmutes 8 AUM channels. Same for Solo. Now I wonder what is needed to add so that these mute changes always happen on some next quantized boundary?

Maybe have your sliders on track 1, 2, 3, ... in Drambo, then view them all at once with Drambo's multitrack view. Plus, add similar sliders on Main in foldable sections, where one section e.g. is volume sliders for all 8 tracks next to each other (for easier access when only controlling volume across channels. Same for pan etc.)

A DrAUMbo ui patch.

• @bleep said:
    But we can add more ;) How about a Buttons module with 8 buttons that mutes/unmutes 8 AUM channels. Same for Solo. Now I wonder what is needed to add so that these mute changes always happen on some next quantized boundary?

A bar synced button sending MIDI CC that can be mapped to anything inside AUM:

• @belldu said:
    I use MIDIMixer for general cc automation in AUM, but if folks want something for free then the excellent PanFlow auv3 can be subverted to output CC on whatever CC you want for interesting (looped) effects.

I prefer Flux Mini 2 (free)/Flux Pro for this instead of PanFlow. The graph in Flux let's you make more precise automation shapes plus it has a bunch of handy workflow/editing enhancing tools (especially the Pro version) Flux can also be midi triggered (allows to control it from eg Atom 2) which I'm not sure whether Panflow can.
    No to mention it is waaay easier on the eyes on the iPhone if anyone want's to use it there. To me Panflow is practically unusable on the phone due to it's interface color scheme.

• Panflow is almost exactly what i want (but the interface is even on ipad not a pleasure),i‘ll look into Flux as well.That said,the idea of just getting Drambo is growing more and more 😂 But i‘m afraid i‘m losing myself in endless possibilities instead of just making some musiq…

• Sorry but it seems i need some help.I‘m too dumb to establish even the most simple connection 😜 I made a very simple test and want to control the Kick tune here from panflow.Midi channels are correct,midi CC is correct,midi out activated on panflow and midi routing is also active…but nothing happens.Panflow is running and would modulate the pan of anything i put into the channel input (which is why i did put it on a seperate channel)

• @rs2000 said:

@Poppadocrock said:
    @rs2000 be great to that drambo patch and the AUM patch on Patchstorage!

There's really not more to it than what I've shown in the screenshots. No hidden modules or tricks 😉

I know but it still be great to just load them up, especially for those who are still learning.

• @Crabman said:
    Sorry but it seems i need some help.I‘m too dumb to establish even the most simple connection 😜 I made a very simple test and want to control the Kick tune here from panflow.Midi channels are correct,midi CC is correct,midi out activated on panflow and midi routing is also active…but nothing happens.Panflow is running and would modulate the pan of anything i put into the channel input (which is why i did put it on a seperate channel)

Are you sure that sidekick responds to yhe cc that you are sending?

• @espiegel123 said:

@Crabman said:
    Sorry but it seems i need some help.I‘m too dumb to establish even the most simple connection 😜 I made a very simple test and want to control the Kick tune here from panflow.Midi channels are correct,midi CC is correct,midi out activated on panflow and midi routing is also active…but nothing happens.Panflow is running and would modulate the pan of anything i put into the channel input (which is why i did put it on a seperate channel)

Are you sure that sidekick responds to yhe cc that you are sending?

Yes and i found it in the meantime.I have to connect panflow to the“midi control“ input and not directly to sidekick…duh!

• @rs2000 said:

Thanks, working perfectly. I knew there needed to be a SH, but I was not familiar with the Clock generator.

• Is it possible to record automation in LK by moving the synthesizer knob or is it only possible to draw? Or maybe it possible in Atom 2?

• @KMTGN said:
    Is it possible to record automation in LK by moving the synthesizer knob or is it only possible to draw? Or maybe it possible in Atom 2?

I don't know about lk but that should be possible in Atom2, though I haven't tried it and now am wondering, why haven't I tried this? 😁

• @KMTGN said:
    Is it possible to record automation in LK by moving the synthesizer knob or is it only possible to draw? Or maybe it possible in Atom 2?

No touch automation in AUM (directly from the synth knobs).
    But every exposed parameter is automatable via MIDI (for instance CC values, which allow you to record by 'moving CC knobs/controllers').
    Atom 2 can record/playback CC but there's no edit options. Helium also does this and you can edit the automation.
    LK has a variation of CC controllers (IAP if I'm correct) and you can record/playback and edit.

• @janpieter said:

@KMTGN said:

No touch automation in AUM (directly from the synth knobs).
    But every exposed parameter is automatable via MIDI (for instance CC values, which allow you to record by 'moving CC knobs/controllers').
    Atom 2 can record/playback CC but there's no edit options. Helium also does this and you can edit the automation.
    LK has a variation of CC controllers (IAP if I'm correct) and you can record/playback and edit.

I'm trying to assign a midi controller to the LK, but so far it doesn't work

• and from the LK built-in controller the movements are not recorded. maybe i'm doing something wrong.

• @Gavinski said:

@KMTGN said:

I don't know about lk but that should be possible in Atom2, though I haven't tried it and now am wondering, why haven't I tried this? 😁

Can you try it?)

• @KMTGN said:
    and from the LK built-in controller the movements are not recorded. maybe i'm doing something wrong.

can you make a video of your attempt?
    many things I can think of: is your track armed? did you set the track's MIDI input to the controller? did you start the clip and press record there? did you set-up the parameter you wish to control with MIDI-learn?

• @KMTGN said:

@Gavinski said:

@KMTGN said:

Can you try it?)

From an earlier post in this thread:

'Atom2 will capture all CC automation into a loopable pattern.

The only downside is that the automation is not visible or manually editable, and can only be changed by clearing the automation from the pattern and re-recording it.

However, it is possible to overdub different CC automations to the same pattern in successive takes'

My own addition: Atom2 is not capable of overdubbing mpe midi in a musical way - any previous automation gets overridden by the new automation on successive passes. As far as I know, there is still no mpe looper for iOS that will overdub while preserving the character of earlier takes, please correct me if I'm wrong. I'd love to be wrong on this.

• wimwim
    edited February 2023

@Gavinski said:
    My own addition: Atom2 is not capable of overdubbing mpe midi in a musical way - any previous automation gets overridden by the new automation on successive passes. As far as I know, there is still no mpe looper for iOS that will overdub while preserving the character of earlier takes, please correct me if I'm wrong. I'd love to be wrong on this.

Have you tried Xequence 2 for this? I haven't tried myself but can later if you don't have X2. Though if you're not open to a non-AU solution I guess that would be a waste of time.

• @wim said:

@Gavinski said:

Have you tried Xequence 2 for this? I haven't tried myself but can later if you don't have X2. Though if you're not open to a non-AU solution I guess that would be a waste of time.

The nature of MPE makes it difficult to implement reliable overdubbing because MPE allows for devices to dynamically assign channels per note…when you are overdubbing, there can be collisions of new notes and their channels with the previously recorded notes.

• @espiegel123 said:
    The nature of MPE makes it difficult to implement reliable overdubbing because MPE allows for devices to dynamically assign channels per note…when you are overdubbing, there can be collisions of new notes and their channels with the previously recorded notes.

Excellent point. Not only notes, but expression per note as well.

• @wim said:

@espiegel123 said:

Excellent point. Not only notes, but expression per note as well.

Yeah that too.

So if you wanted to overdub a controller onto an existing voice, you would need to use the same midi channel and not overlap a later voice.

I’ve seen some people act like these choices by developers are laziness without any sense of how tricky the issues are.

• wimwim
    edited February 2023

That's very rare around here.

It's understandable that a typical musician without development experience would not naturally think of the underlying complexity of some of these things. Pointing out the context to help them understand is constructively helpful.

Of course, most times it's taken as a rebuke even if not meant as one. So there is that. 😂

• @wim said:
    That's very rare around here.

It's understandable that a typical musician without development experience would not naturally think of the underlying complexity of some of these things. Pointing out the context to help them understand is constructively helpful. Rebukes, not so much.

Of course, most times it's taken as a rebuke even if not meant as one. So there is that. 😂

+1 in setting people right without coming over too judgemental, amen

• edited February 2023

@wim yes, Xequence can overdub any "dimension" over existing notes by moving the controller ribbon on the left of the pianoroll editor while a note's expression data is being open for editing. (an external controller like a pitch wheel can also be used .)

Obviously all editing tools are also available to scale, time-stretch or manually draw expression data per note.

• Has there been anything new for this since the last post in Feb?

• @rs2000 said:

@bleep said:
    But we can add more ;) How about a Buttons module with 8 buttons that mutes/unmutes 8 AUM channels. Same for Solo. Now I wonder what is needed to add so that these mute changes always happen on some next quantized boundary?

Hey! Resurrecting kind of an old thread, I know. This thing is so, so, so cool and I love it, and I have been trying my best to figure out Drambo, but how in the world does this work??? I can see the modules and the connections, and I can see that it works, but I just can't get my head around why or what's going on here.

Any chance you could break it down or direct me to a better resource than the Drambo manual for learning things like this?

• Connectons go from left to right in Drambo and the colors help to see what is connected. After that it's just a matter of breaking down what each module and type of connection does.

1. The first module is a button. It just provides a high/low signal. More on that in #3.
    2. Next is a timed trigger generator. It's linked to the track's beat clock. The number is a divider. If it was 4 that would mean send 4 triggers every beat. Using 0.25 means that it will take 4 beats before a trigger is generated. That's where the measure timing comes from.
      The second number is just the length that the trigger will last. Not super important here.
    3. The S&H module is used to capture the value of the button module. See how the signal input is green to match the buttons module? The other input is a trigger input. A trigger is like a switch. It's linked to the output from the clock generator. Working together the inputs are telling the S&H module, "When the trigger signal from the clock module is high, sample the value of the button module."
    4. The CC Generator module gets the input from the S&H module and converts it to a midi CC value.
    5. The midi monitor displays the input from the CC Generator.