Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

No Simple AU Automation Recording App for AUM? (Soon to be Solved)

Comments

• @soundtemple said:
    @Poppadocrock Ah yep will make it available, maybe individually this time rather than one big confusing project

Awesome. Cheers mate.

• @ManWhoWouldBeStrings said:
    Maybe I’m missing the point of what you want to do but what about PhotonAU? Records midi and can playback in one shot or looped as far as I remember...also editable.

No worries, I’m talking about the CC automation. Not the midi notes. Sure LFOs and stuff like stepbud/octachron can get you close but if you look up apps Ribn, and CC Pal you’ll see what I mean. So basically I want to play a knob or whatever, have it record the cc values of what I do, over a period of time, maybe even a whole track, and then loop or playback that CC automation. With the ability to edit it as well. Also to visualize the CC would be great. But most importantly a dedicated app that does this one thing and does it well. It can be done in LK, MidiMixer, Atom 2, etc. but my hope is a lightweight solution, if that makes sense.

• @Poppadocrock said:

@ManWhoWouldBeStrings said:
    Maybe I’m missing the point of what you want to do but what about PhotonAU? Records midi and can playback in one shot or looped as far as I remember...also editable.

No worries, I’m talking about the CC automation. Not the midi notes. Sure LFOs and stuff like stepbud/octachron can get you close but if you look up apps Ribn, and CC Pal you’ll see what I mean. So basically I want to play a knob or whatever, have it record the cc values of what I do, over a period of time, maybe even a whole track, and then loop or playback that CC automation. With the ability to edit it as well. Also to visualize the CC would be great. But most importantly a dedicated app that does this one thing and does it well. It can be done in LK, MidiMixer, Atom 2, etc. but my hope is a lightweight solution, if that makes sense.

Atom 2 is a quite lightweight solution for this--recording and playing CC (but not editing). It has very low CPU use.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Poppadocrock said:

Atom 2 is a quite lightweight solution for this--recording and playing CC (but not editing). It has very low CPU use.

True. Thanks. I have a couple options, atom 2 being one of them. Cheers!

• @Halftone said:
    hmmm, just noticed this on Cem's twitter...

Seems like he was reading this thread actually 😆

• edited June 2021

If its not a full blown CC piano roll type recorder / editor, I’ll pass thanks 🤪

• @Halftone said:
    hmmm, just noticed this on Cem's twitter...

That’s crazy. I’ll have to check it.

• @sharifkerbage if anyone has some particular request on this he can write me at [email protected] 😉

• @ElliottGarage said:
    @sharifkerbage if anyone has some particular request on this he can write me at [email protected] 😉

Cheers, this looks dope. Real excited.

• @ElliottGarage said:
    @sharifkerbage if anyone has some particular request on this he can write me at [email protected] 😉

nice! thanks

• I am using LK at the moment but mapping is not optimal and it is a bit bloated for the job. Looking forward to what Cem is cooking

• @axens said:
    I am using LK at the moment but mapping is not optimal and it is a bit bloated for the job. Looking forward to what Cem is cooking

Agreed. It’s been a little while I wonder if @cem_olcay has any updates on his progress…?

• \o/ uuuup daate

• no news on this?

• @aaa said:
    no news on this?

Oh yes there is: MIDI Tape Recorder.
    https://apps.apple.com/en/app/midi-tape-recorder/id1598618004

• edited January 2022

Another vote for LK for this. If you also unlock the ‘controller’ module you can use this to play and record the automation. The biggest missing thing for me is being able to name the automation lanes - currently you have to remember what cc is mapped to what, which gets a bit tiresome. If I remember rightly, @sinosoidal had said this is coming in a future update. You can label the knobs on the controller module which can serve as a cc ‘cheat sheet’.

You’re right though @Samu , whichever way you look at it, host level automation would be much neater and much less fuss. I’m banking on @Michael and Loopy Pro here, especially as I find the targeted midi already so much easier to setup than in AUM.

• @gregsmith said:

You’re right though @Samu , whichever way you look at it, host level automation would be much neater and much less fuss. I’m banking on @Michael and Loopy Pro here, especially as I find the targeted midi already so much easier to setup than in AUM.

That is the only proper way to go about it...
    A 'host' should handle the automation w. editing for the plug-is it hosts.

Having to use Midi CC -> AUParameter mapping as a 'work around' may work for some but it quickly becomes a mess to overview and manage. (In AUM it's quick to map a parameter but a chore to get an overview of all the mapped parameters).

Which ever way I think about this Sequencing, Automation, Recording & Editing are 'host duties' and cutting down the number of 'middleware apps' to overcome host limitations when it comes to 'basic tasks' the better...

2022 will indeed be an interesting year to follow...

• Sunvox 2 will be good for this when released :)

• @Poppadocrock said:

oh wow and i thought it would be an easy task to find something.I‘m looking EXACTLY for an app like this as well to use it with AUM.

The @ElliottGarage app is still unreleased, LK seems to bloated for what i want. And it‘s not clear to me if you need the midi controller or the“matrix“ add on.Both was mentioned here.I thought mosaic is a sure thing,but not really.

I have StepPolyArp,i‘ll give this a try.And maybe i‘ll get the midi mixer and/or cykles.I just want to control some fx parameter,not even synths or drums.

Any newer releases since january?

• @Crabman said:

Drambo 2.0

• @Edward_Alexander said:

@Crabman said:

Drambo 2.0

Seems also exagerated for what i want but i‘ll put it on my list.I‘m also looking for some fx with own sequencer.So this would fit well i guess.

• @Crabman said:

@Poppadocrock said:

oh wow and i thought it would be an easy task to find something.I‘m looking EXACTLY for an app like this as well to use it with AUM.

The @ElliottGarage app is still unreleased, LK seems to bloated for what i want. And it‘s not clear to me if you need the midi controller or the“matrix“ add on.Both was mentioned here.I thought mosaic is a sure thing,but not really.

I have StepPolyArp,i‘ll give this a try.And maybe i‘ll get the midi mixer and/or cykles.I just want to control some fx parameter,not even synths or drums.

Re LK, the matrix is for midi recording and playback and editing. The controller add on is for sending CCs (to other apps, plugins, hardware or to the matrix to record.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Crabman said:

@Poppadocrock said:

Re LK, the matrix is for midi recording and playback and editing. The controller add on is for sending CCs (to other apps, plugins, hardware or to the matrix to record.

Thanks.And with the controller add on it‘s possible to i.e.record/draw/create CC movements in LK?

• @Crabman said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Crabman said:

@Poppadocrock said:

Thanks.And with the controller add on it‘s possible to i.e.record/draw/create CC movements in LK?

The matrix is where midi is edited. So drawing cc events happens there. The controllers is a real-time controller user interface.

• I have ditched AUM completely for Drambo.

• I use MIDIMixer for general cc automation in AUM, but if folks want something for free then the excellent PanFlow auv3 can be subverted to output CC on whatever CC you want for interesting (looped) effects.

• @ElliottGarage said:

Do the same for stereo panning?

• edited September 2022

You know what?
    I've just set up a little Drambo patch with a few sliders sending MIDI CC to AUM's MIDI control port and it works surprisingly well!
    To record automation, hit record inside Drambo.

The patch and the MIDI mapping inside AUM:

The MIDI matrix connection:

Moving faders in Drambo will move the knobs in AUM (or in your preferred AUv3 instrument/effect):

If moving the fader is not precise enough, you can open Drambo's automation editor anytime:

The fun part is that you're free to extend the Drambo patch with LFOs, beat-synced rhythmical patterns etc. anytime, and both can work simultaneously with adjustable amounts 😊

The other fun part is that you can change the "amount of automation" live, even invert or shift all up/down if you like, by turning the CC and modulation knobs.

This will be very CPU efficient as long as you don't add cpu hungry modules in Drambo.
    And you can have one single control panel for all your stuff hosted in AUM, plus you get a much faster and easier way of MIDI mapping your MIDI controller to the sliders if you need that.

• edited September 2022

Midi mixer by 4 pockets has like 7 already mapped to volume, pan, etc.. but it also has 4 free cc to assign. You can draw it in with a finger. Or record it.

LK I think does.

Drambo

This is something I’ve been wanting for awhile now a dedicated app that records automation.

Their is ccpal and Ribn but neither are Au.