Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

WebSDR by Mani Consulting Limited Company

Comments

• I’m having good results in AUM on my phone using iOS 16.2 but lots of problems on my iPad running 16.5 regardless of host or standalone

• I’ve been in touch with the dev about the 16.5 problems and they say they’re working on it

• @Simon the University of Twente link loads for me in the plugin inside AUM or Drambo, it's not down, it just doesn't play back audio

@hightunnels thanks for contacting the dev! Hopefully they can resolve the outstanding issues

• @Grandbear said:
    @Simon the University of Twente link loads for me in the plugin inside AUM or Drambo, it's not down, it just doesn't play back audio

Mmm... not good.

Thanks for the info.

• @Grandbear said:

@el_bo said:

@Grandbear said:
    The first entry (WebSDR at the University of Twente) hasn't worked for me in the plugin in a while, regardless of the mobile/desktop settings. The others I've tried all work, in both modes.

Interesting! thanks!

Just checked, and it's still online:

http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901

Oh yeah, that's what I meant: it does work both on my desktop computer and on my iPad, it just doesn't work inside the plugin

That’s a shame.

• As an alternative, I'd like to remind WebSDR users that most sites have an "Audio recording" option which produces a wav file that you can then save to the filesystem. It works perfectly on iOS.

• edited June 2023

This is a bit of a bummer. I really love this app and just recently got it a few weeks ago. Hopefully a fix will be out soon.

Tried to do a work around by going online with web audio player and it’s not working there either.

• @Grandbear said:
    As an alternative, I'd like to remind WebSDR users that most sites have an "Audio recording" option which produces a wav file that you can then save to the filesystem. It works perfectly on iOS.

Of course. And i still love using it on desktop. But was finally thinking of getting the app for the convenience factor. Hopefully there will be a solution soon :)

• @hightunnels said:
    I’ve been in touch with the dev about the 16.5 problems and they say they’re working on it

Many thanks :)

• edited June 2023

I checked this today. All the websites that don't work in the WebSDR app also don't work for me in Safari on iPhone. It may be difficult to fix this if it's an error in Safari itself because the WebSDR app depends on the same WebKIT api that Safari uses. Can anybody else confirm that the same error happens in Safari browser on iPhone?

We looked into this problem last week but decided to wait for the next iOS update because the fact that it used to work and now it doesn't indicates that the error is caused by something that Apple did. However, it is interesting that the second WebSDR site in the list still works. I'm wondering if we can figure out why that one works and then hack something similar into the other sites. This is challenging because the dev who wrote this app doesn't work for us anymore so I'm trying to fix it myself. So far I haven't figured out anything.

• edited June 2023

@Blue_Mangoo said:
    I checked this today. All the websites that don't work in the WebSDR app also don't work for me in Safari on iPhone. It may be difficult to fix this if it's an error in Safari itself because the WebSDR app depends on the same WebKIT api that Safari uses. Can anybody else confirm that the same error happens in Safari browser on iPhone?

We looked into this problem last week but decided to wait for the next iOS update because the fact that it used to work and now it doesn't indicates that the error is caused by something that Apple did. However, it is interesting that the second WebSDR site in the list still works. I'm wondering if we can figure out why that one works and then hack something similar into the other sites. This is challenging because the dev who wrote this app doesn't work for us anymore so I'm trying to fix it myself. So far I haven't figured out anything.

Hi @Blue_Mangoo thanks for taking a look. The Univ. Twente website does work for me in Safari, on my iPhone 13 (iOS 16.5), but not in the plugin in AUM. The website displays an overlay with the "start audio" button that's not shown in the plugin. This is both in the regular and the mobile versions of the site.

I hope this helps with figuring out the issue.

• edited June 2023

@Grandbear said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

Hi @Blue_Mangoo thanks for taking a look. The Univ. Twente website does work for me in Safari, on my iPhone 13 (iOS 16.5), but not in the plugin in AUM. The website displays an overlay with the "start audio" button that's not shown in the plugin. This is both in the regular and the mobile versions of the site.

Yeah, I see this start audio button popping up when I run the app in the iPhone simulator on my Mac but it doesn't pop up when I run on safari on my iPhone. Maybe I just need to find out why that button doesn't pop up. It would be nice if the solution would be that easy.

When I press "start audio" on the simulator it does play, but it is glitchy. It sounds like the website is attempting to play at a different sample rate that the browser doesn't support.

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@Grandbear said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

Yeah, I see this start audio button popping up when I run the app in the iPhone simulator on my Mac but it doesn't pop up when I run on safari on my iPhone. Maybe I just need to find out why that button doesn't pop up. It would be nice if the solution would be that easy.

When I press "start audio" on the simulator it does play, but it is glitchy. It sounds like the website is attempting to play at a different sample rate that the browser doesn't support.

Interesting, could it be an extension blocking that somehow?

• Fwiw it’s working fine here on iOS 15.7.3

• @Philandering_Bastard said:
    Fwiw it’s working fine here on iOS 15.7.3

Yes, the problem is definitely the result of an iOS update. But it could be a very long time to wait if we hope for Apple to fix it.

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@Philandering_Bastard said:
    Fwiw it’s working fine here on iOS 15.7.3

Yes, the problem is definitely the result of an iOS update. But it could be a very long time to wait if we hope for Apple to fix it.

Apple messing things up as usual 🙄 thanks for taking the time to stop. I do hope it can be fixed as I love the app but I understand if it’s out of your control. I couldn’t get it to work via safari or your web audio player app either.

• We did some more work on this today. Most of the WebSDR sites I tested do not work in Safari. Since our app uses the UIWebView embedded browser that is based on the same core as Safari, I do not think there is any possibility we can fix this error until either Apple fixes Safari or the WebSDR sites find a work-around. Some of the sites do work, so clearly a work-around is possible, but it needs to be implemented on each site individually.

Sorry about this. I'm hoping for a new version of Safari in iOS 17 to change the situation.

• edited June 2023

@Blue_Mangoo I still wonder what makes the difference between your testing setup and my 16.5 devices. The first 20 sites listed in websdr.org work for me just fine in Safari. The iPhone has to have the silence switch disengaged though.

• edited June 2023

I’ve been paying attention to this thread for a separate reason…hoping he would pop in…

Has @Blue_Mangoo been around these parts in awhile? Aka Mani Consulting Ltd.

I had a question about Web Audio, it works great but it caches the stored audio, instead of deleting it after each session. This bloats up the app size to 100-150mb or whatever from the last audio played. We spoke about it right after release, I had to create a new AUM session load app, closed app out, cleared AUM, closed aum and it went down in size. It’s either happening more or I’m noticing it more. It’s a small thing and app is super useful, but when space is at a premium, it be great to have him take a look at this. I think it’s something he would he interested in fixing, and so would I, lol. Minor blip from a great app.

Update - I see they have been active my mistake. Lol it’s only 2 posts above mine.

• @Blue_Mangoo said:
    We did some more work on this today. Most of the WebSDR sites I tested do not work in Safari. Since our app uses the UIWebView embedded browser that is based on the same core as Safari, I do not think there is any possibility we can fix this error until either Apple fixes Safari or the WebSDR sites find a work-around. Some of the sites do work, so clearly a work-around is possible, but it needs to be implemented on each site individually.

Sorry about this. I'm hoping for a new version of Safari in iOS 17 to change the situation.

Thanks for at least taking a crack at it. I’m hoping this gets fixed by apple soon because I really love this app. I’m glad some of the sites still work though.

• @Grandbear said:
    @Blue_Mangoo I still wonder what makes the difference between your testing setup and my 16.5 devices. The first 20 sites listed in websdr.org work for me just fine in Safari. The iPhone has to have the silence switch disengaged though.

That's very interesting. I didn't know Safari responded to the silent switch.

• edited June 2023

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@Grandbear said:

That's very interesting. I didn't know Safari responded to the silent switch.

Yeah, I don't know what's the deal with that. They do mention it in their FAQ:

Q: I'm using an iPhone/iPad and don't hear audio!
    A: An issue with iPad (-like) devices is that they have two mute switches: one which affects music, youtube, etc., and one which affects system sounds (like mail notification bleeps).
    Somehow, iOS treats the WebSDR audio as the latter. So please check that you haven't accidentally muted the system sounds. On some devices this is a software switch, on others it's a physical hardware switch.

• Anyone know why this still isn’t working? The recent AAfilebrowser worked fine with web sdr in AU mode but for some reason the Blue Mangoo apps still won’t work. Doesn’t seem to be an iOS issue anymore.

Any ideas @Blue_Mangoo ?

• @HotStrange said:
    Anyone know why this still isn’t working? The recent AAfilebrowser worked fine with web sdr in AU mode but for some reason the Blue Mangoo apps still won’t work. Doesn’t seem to be an iOS issue anymore.

Any ideas @Blue_Mangoo ?

One ongoing problem, specially with amateur radio and natural radio oriented web streams is, that they often use the open source OGG codec. The codec is free and does not have any potential copyright issues like mp3. Unfortunately iOS is not supporting OGG in the built in Safari engine. That means any app that uses it (and Apple doesn’t allow third party browser engines) cannot play these streams.
    My hope is iOS 17, but I don’t think Apple will do any improvements of this kind in their crippled browser engine.
    I wish there would be an AUv3 or at least IAA version of VLC…

• @catherder said:

@HotStrange said:
    Anyone know why this still isn’t working? The recent AAfilebrowser worked fine with web sdr in AU mode but for some reason the Blue Mangoo apps still won’t work. Doesn’t seem to be an iOS issue anymore.

Any ideas @Blue_Mangoo ?

One ongoing problem, specially with amateur radio and natural radio oriented web streams is, that they often use the open source OGG codec. The codec is free and does not have any potential copyright issues like mp3. Unfortunately iOS is not supporting OGG in the built in Safari engine. That means any app that uses it (and Apple doesn’t allow third party browser engines) cannot play these streams.
    My hope is iOS 17, but I don’t think Apple will do any improvements of this kind in their crippled browser engine.

Well like I said, the AUV3 web browser in AAFilebrowser plays the sdr stations just fine, but the Blue Mangoo apps don’t, which is what confuses me. Both run as AUs but it works with one app from one dev and not the other.

• edited September 2023

@HotStrange said:

@catherder said:

@HotStrange said:

Any ideas @Blue_Mangoo ?

Well like I said, the AUV3 web browser in AAFilebrowser plays the sdr stations just fine, but the Blue Mangoo apps don’t, which is what confuses me. Both run as AUs but it works with one app from one dev and not the other.

I just tried to get AAFileBrowser for a test, but I cannot find it on the App store, and all the links in the AAFileBrowser thread are giving me the "App not available in your Country or Region" warning (I am in the UK).
    Do you know what's going on here? Has Apple probably pulled the plug on this app, because it uses it's own browser engine? Or just one of those glitches in the App Store.

It looks as if the dev is in the process of giving the app another name (EasyFM). Apple does not seem to have approved it yet. The only app I can find on the App Store is some EFM EasyFileManager built only for a language that I cannot read.

• @catherder said:

@HotStrange said:

@catherder said:

@HotStrange said:

Any ideas @Blue_Mangoo ?

I just tried to get AAFileBrowser for a test, but I cannot find it on the App store, and all the links in the AAFileBrowser thread are giving me the "App not available in your Country or Region" warning (I am in the UK).
    Do you know what's going on here? Has Apple probably pulled the plug on this app, because it uses it's own browser engine? Or just one of those glitches in the App Store.

It looks as if the dev is in the process of giving the app another name (EasyFM). Apple does not seem to have approved it yet. The only app I can find on the App Store is some EFM EasyFileManager built only for a language that I cannot read.

Yeah as far as I know it hasn’t been approved yet but is submitted and the dev is just waiting for approval. Apple didn’t remove it, it was removed by the developer due to the name change and other things mentioned in the thread you read.

I still have it downloaded and it still works fine for me. Maybe Blue Mangoo will chime in, but right now that’s the only easy way to get SDR sounds on iOS. WedSDR has a small handful of working stations but it requires endless scrolling and clicking to even find them.

• Paging @Blue_Mangoo > @HotStrange said:

@catherder said:

@HotStrange said:

@catherder said:

@HotStrange said:

Any ideas @Blue_Mangoo ?

Yeah as far as I know it hasn’t been approved yet but is submitted and the dev is just waiting for approval. Apple didn’t remove it, it was removed by the developer due to the name change and other things mentioned in the thread you read.

I still have it downloaded and it still works fine for me. Maybe Blue Mangoo will chime in, but right now that’s the only easy way to get SDR sounds on iOS. WedSDR has a small handful of working stations but it requires endless scrolling and clicking to even find them.

Probably worth pointing out that audio files can be recorded and saved directly from many of the sites. They can then easily be found in 'Files' > 'Recents'. Obviously not the same as live manipulation but will more than do 'in a pinch'.

• @Blue_Mangoo hey I like your old company name better ;)

Any chance, Drum Session could become auv3?

• @el_bo said:
    Paging @Blue_Mangoo > @HotStrange said:

@catherder said:

@HotStrange said:

@catherder said:

@HotStrange said:

Any ideas @Blue_Mangoo ?

Probably worth pointing out that audio files can be recorded and saved directly from many of the sites. They can then easily be found in 'Files' > 'Recents'. Obviously not the same as live manipulation but will more than do 'in a pinch'.

How does it record the sound of none is coming out? Or do you mean recording the station within the AA app?