Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

WebSDR by Mani Consulting Limited Company

https://apps.apple.com/app/id1558990423

Description:

WebSDR is an Audio Unit Plugin that plays audio from Software Defined Radio (SDR) streams. It allows you to incorporate the sound of live radio into a live music performance.

WHAT IS SOFTWARE DEFINED RADIO?

A software defined radio is a device with an antenna that connects to a computer and allows it to receive live radio broadcasts. It features a wide variety of protocols; in addition to standard AM and FM modes found in most consumer radios it typically includes modes for LSB, USB, CW and other settings used to listen in on the CB radios used by taxi drives, marine weather stations, air traffic control towers, amateur radio enthusiasts and many other types of radio broadcasts.

The signals you can access using this app are not your own local radio stations; rather they are the radio stations in the vicinity of a collection of free servers, many of them operated by universities. These servers are positioned in many different countries around the world so using this plugin you can listen in on a variety of radio signals in a wide variety of languages and cultures.

WHAT DO PEOPLE USE THIS PLUGIN FOR?

The crackly sound of an old-style AM broadcast or a conversation between taxi drivers on a CB radio is a musical flavour that can not be replicated with other plugins. If you are looking for some really unique and interesting material to include in your performances or mixes, this plugin will supply.

NOTE: THIS IS AN AUDIO UNIT PLUGIN. IT RUNS INSIDE A HOST APP SUCH AS GarageBand.

Details:
Universal: Yes
Minimum OS version: 14.5
Rated: 0 based on 0 votes

Comments

• Bought. Great @Blue_Mangoo i love your apps

• But why set iOS 14.5 as base when beta was compatible with previous iOS versions?

• @Charlesalbert said:
    But why set iOS 14.5 as base when beta was compatible with previous iOS versions?

When we beta tested we found bugs in some iOS versions (including 14.4) that limited the functionality of the app. We decided to wait for Apple to fix it before releasing and then we had to require the latest iOS to prevent 14.4 users from buying it and then complaining about bugs we wouldn’t be able to fix.

• The beta link still works, so you can try it free for a few more days: https://testflight.apple.com/join/uCR4PwA5

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@Charlesalbert said:
    But why set iOS 14.5 as base when beta was compatible with previous iOS versions?

When we beta tested we found bugs in some iOS versions (including 14.4) that limited the functionality of the app. We decided to wait for Apple to fix it before releasing and then we had to require the latest iOS to prevent 14.4 users from buying it and then complaining about bugs we wouldn’t be able to fix.

Thanks so much for the reply.

• @Charlesalbert said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@Charlesalbert said:

Thanks so much for the reply.

Thanks for the five stars! ;)

• Great stuff @Blue_Mangoo, adds nicely to my latest hobby of physical SDR tinkering.

Now I need some AU apps to translate the various signals (even just Morse would be neat). Nothing out there from a brief look. You’d think such a mainstream interest would warrant more attention. ;)

• @TheVimFuego said:
    Great stuff @Blue_Mangoo, adds nicely to my latest hobby of physical SDR tinkering.

Now I need some AU apps to translate the various signals (even just Morse would be neat). Nothing out there from a brief look. You’d think such a mainstream interest would warrant more attention. ;)

You want to translate Morse code into text?

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@TheVimFuego said:
    Great stuff @Blue_Mangoo, adds nicely to my latest hobby of physical SDR tinkering.

Yes, there are a few apps that use the mic but no IAA or AU as far as I can tell.

Also stuff like ACARS data from aircraft.

• @Blue_Mangoo I see that that you were able to implement state saving in this one and in Web Audio, thanks for that!

• @TheVimFuego said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@TheVimFuego said:

Yes, there are a few apps that use the mic but no IAA or AU as far as I can tell.

Interesting. For an AU, it seems text to Morse code might be more appropriate than Morse code to text.

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@TheVimFuego said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@TheVimFuego said:

Interesting. For an AU, it seems text to Morse code might be more appropriate than Morse code to text.

Yes, these aren’t really typical AU use cases. I may end up getting into iOS dev just to satisfy my niche needs.

At the moment I’m using applications like Black Cat ACARS on the laptop for on the fly decoding.

Enjoying WebSDR to scratch my on the go needs, super convenient just to fire up and explore the airwaves.

• @TheVimFuego said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@TheVimFuego said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@TheVimFuego said:

Yes, these aren’t really typical AU use cases. I may end up getting into iOS dev just to satisfy my niche needs.

At the moment I’m using applications like Black Cat ACARS on the laptop for on the fly decoding.

Enjoying WebSDR to scratch my on the go needs, super convenient just to fire up and explore the airwaves.

It’s a shame that WebSDR is receive-only. It would be a lot more fun if you could also use it to transmit

• How do I keep the sound going on, after I close the apo?

• @Sergiu said:
    How do I keep the sound going on, after I close the apo?

It needs at least one WebSDR window open to keep the JavaScript interacting with the audio unit host. If you are in AUM you can work around by adding an empty track, putting WebSDR on it, and then dragging the window off to the edge of the screen without closing it. Once that is done, you can open and close the other instances and they usually keep working.

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

@Sergiu said:

It needs at least one WebSDR window open to keep the JavaScript interacting with the audio unit host. If you are in AUM you can work around by adding an empty track, putting WebSDR on it, and then dragging the window off to the edge of the screen without closing it. Once that is done, you can open and close the other instances and they usually keep working.

Doesn't seem to work for me - keeping one window open but off the screen doesn't prevent the sound of another instance cutting out when the window is closed. I've tried with the 'dummy' instance not 'tuned' to any server, or with a live feed, but the track muted.

• @Blue_Mangoo said:

Brilliant! Sold. It was the beautiful cat that did it <3

• @FPC said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

Brilliant! Sold. It was the beautiful cat that did it <3

Yes! It seems the cat is magic.

• @enkaytee said:

@Blue_Mangoo said:

@Sergiu said:

Doesn't seem to work for me - keeping one window open but off the screen doesn't prevent the sound of another instance cutting out when the window is closed. I've tried with the 'dummy' instance not 'tuned' to any server, or with a live feed, but the track muted.

Hm... yeah I noticed it doesn’t work sometimes. We have this problem with AU’s that get audio from the web: when you close the view, JavaScript stops and that’s the end.

• Hi, I just got WebSDR, and works great as a standalone, but when I add an auv3 instance no waterfall appearing and no sound at all, am I doin something wrong?

• @wRRng said:
    Hi, I just got WebSDR, and works great as a standalone, but when I add an auv3 instance no waterfall appearing and no sound at all, am I doin something wrong?

Hi, I've had fun with this in the past but today the only one in the list that works in AUM is the second one on the list 'BATC' - sorry I don't have a solution but you are not alone :#

• edited May 2023

Bummer.

This was on my "might buy if it goes on sale" list. It has been out 2 years and never gone on sale.

You might need to contact the developer (if you do tell him to put it on sale :smiley: ).

• It’s working for me in AUM. I didn’t get sound at first but if you turn mobile mode off and then back on, an option to start sound pops up. It used to be a button or on the page, I don’t quite remember, but I’m not sure why I have to do that now.

• Sometimes a simple device restart gets an app to work properly

• @wRRng said:
    Hi, I just got WebSDR, and works great as a standalone, but when I add an auv3 instance no waterfall appearing and no sound at all, am I doin something wrong?

Did you get WebSDR working ok?

• @Simon said:

@wRRng said:

Did you get WebSDR working ok?

+1 This is (was) an imminent purchase. But this thread has given me pause.

• The first entry (WebSDR at the University of Twente) hasn't worked for me in the plugin in a while, regardless of the mobile/desktop settings. The others I've tried all work, in both modes.

• @Grandbear said:
    The first entry (WebSDR at the University of Twente) hasn't worked for me in the plugin in a while, regardless of the mobile/desktop settings. The others I've tried all work, in both modes.

Interesting! thanks!

Just checked, and it's still online:

http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901

• @el_bo said:

@Grandbear said:
    The first entry (WebSDR at the University of Twente) hasn't worked for me in the plugin in a while, regardless of the mobile/desktop settings. The others I've tried all work, in both modes.

Interesting! thanks!

Just checked, and it's still online:

http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901

Oh yeah, that's what I meant: it does work both on my desktop computer and on my iPad, it just doesn't work inside the plugin

• edited June 2023

@Grandbear said:
    Oh yeah, that's what I meant: it does work both on my desktop computer and on my iPad, it just doesn't work inside the plugin

So the problem is with the University of Twente, not a problem with the app..?

The University of Twente link is down but the other "sources of radio" work ok?

I would like to run it inside AUM - you think that will work ok?

Thanks.