Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

ChowTape Public Beta

Comments

• Yeah, but get that tip jar working soon, Jatin, because there are so many of us who truly appreciate your hard work and passion — not to mention your extra effort to port your wonderful apps to iOS.

• Just wanted to say (again) you're the fucking man and thank you for sharing your work Jatin!

• Since I first tested ChowTape it’s made it’s way into almost every track. This app sounds amazing, simply put , it makes everything sound better.
    I’m not gonna say it’s the best tape emulation App because a) I don’t know which algorithm is more accurate, b) I don’t like the “this appA is an appB’s killer!” comments.
    I do find ChowTape to be more pleasing and indulging. Other tape emulations sort of darken the sound more, which is probably a tape thing. ChowTape sounds more musical to my ears.
    It’s an amazing app.
    Sometimes “free” leads people to think it means there’s something missing or there’s less work out into it. Not the case, this app is easy and complex, it’s got so many parameters and tweaking, yet comprehensive and easy to use. 10/10

• What does the “MixGroup” setting do?. Does anyone know?.

• Agreed, it doesn't have to sound dark, it can sound very tapey and analogue while retaining a very beautiful and somehow clean colour in the sound, I really love it

• I had a mix I’ve been struggling with for two weeks now because i couldn’t get the Rhodes piano riff to pop. I tried every trick in my toolbox and nothing sounded right because of the challenges of the Rhodes frequency range. Put ChowTape on it last night with the gritty setting and boom. The Rhodes popped out of the speakers. Love this app!

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    I had a mix I’ve been struggling with for two weeks now because i couldn’t get the Rhodes piano riff to pop. I tried every trick in my toolbox and nothing sounded right because of the challenges of the Rhodes frequency range. Put ChowTape on it last night with the gritty setting and boom. The Rhodes popped out of the speakers. Love this app!

I did the exact same on this track. Used a Korg Module electric piano that wasn’t too exciting by itself. ChowTape totally changed the vibe and character, turned it into something completely new. You can use ChowTape to subtlety enhance a track, like I’ve done on bass and drums here, or radically change it like the Electric Piano.

• @tahiche said:
    What does the “MixGroup” setting do?. Does anyone know?.

Mix Groups are for linking multiple instances of the plugin. So if you have four instrument tracks, and you want them all to sound like they were recorded to the same tape machine, you can put an instance of the plugin on each track and set them to the same mix group. Then the plugin parameters will be linked across all the plugin instances in the same group. U-he's Satin plugin has a similar feature that they explain pretty well in this video. It's also in the user manual under the "Main Controls" section. I'm not sure how useful this feature is on iOS, but it would have been more work for me to remove it, so I figured I'd leave it in.

Glad folks are liking the sound, and thanks for sharing your sounds also! Just double check, has anyone run into issues with the two-finger scrolling?

• I've been auditioning tape emulators lately and this one wins almost every time. Including against Saturn 2. I just have more luck with it when trying to both "warm" up a track and make it stand out a bit in the mix.

• I've been having fun just seeing how much I can chew up the sound. It works really well.

• @tahiche said:

@lukesleepwalker said:
    I had a mix I’ve been struggling with for two weeks now because i couldn’t get the Rhodes piano riff to pop. I tried every trick in my toolbox and nothing sounded right because of the challenges of the Rhodes frequency range. Put ChowTape on it last night with the gritty setting and boom. The Rhodes popped out of the speakers. Love this app!

I did the exact same on this track. Used a Korg Module electric piano that wasn’t too exciting by itself. ChowTape totally changed the vibe and character, turned it into something completely new. You can use ChowTape to subtlety enhance a track, like I’ve done on bass and drums here, or radically change it like the Electric Piano.

Nice track 👍

• Just tried Chowtape in Bitwig. Love it! Thanks so much. I normally use Reelbus but this will def get used on some tracks too now.

• @chowdsp... Minor point about aesthetics in the UI (as seen on iPad Pro). Can the preset picker be aligned with the column which is below it? It just looks “off” right now.

• It’s a common misconception (not directed at you Gav!) that tape is inherently noisy and warbly or whatever, whereas in fact it can be incredibly high fidelity (hence it being used in high-end studios for decades!) if you maintain your equipment properly and regularly change the tape! It has none of the dark roll-off that the bucket brigade chips on analogue delays have, it’s really quite a distinct sound all of its own.

Of course it’s a undeniably lovely when you get that beautiful wow and flutter of aged tape, and we love for for a good reason, just that it’s important to point put that that particular aspect of it was not in it’s design (just a lovely bonus) and also important to differentiate it from analogue delay, another (beautiful) beast all of it’s own!

(This is the guitar pedal nerd coming out in me sorry!)

@Gavinski said:
    Agreed, it doesn't have to sound dark, it can sound very tapey and analogue while retaining a very beautiful and somehow clean colour in the sound, I really love it

• Hi All,

I just officially released ChowTape version 2.8.0 with support for iOS! Thanks to all of you for your testing, feedback, and general positive encouragement. I'm really excited to hear more of the sounds folks make with the plugin, and to work on some new plugins for iOS in the future!

The iOS version is on the app store: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/chowtapemodel/id1557806564
    The desktop version can be downloaded here: https://chowdsp.com/products.html#tape

Thanks,
    Jatin

• @ghost_forests said:
    It’s a common misconception (not directed at you Gav!) that tape is inherently noisy and warbly or whatever, whereas in fact it can be incredibly high fidelity (hence it being used in high-end studios for decades!) if you maintain your equipment properly and regularly change the tape! It has none of the dark roll-off that the bucket brigade chips on analogue delays have, it’s really quite a distinct sound all of its own.

Of course it’s a undeniably lovely when you get that beautiful wow and flutter of aged tape, and we love for for a good reason, just that it’s important to point put that that particular aspect of it was not in it’s design (just a lovely bonus) and also important to differentiate it from analogue delay, another (beautiful) beast all of it’s own!

(This is the guitar pedal nerd coming out in me sorry!)

@Gavinski said:
    Agreed, it doesn't have to sound dark, it can sound very tapey and analogue while retaining a very beautiful and somehow clean colour in the sound, I really love it

Good points! Yes, easy to forget this now when many / most reach for tape emulators to go lofi

• @chowdsp gonna download now, once again thank you so much!

• @chowdsp said:
    Hi All,

I just officially released ChowTape version 2.8.0 with support for iOS! Thanks to all of you for your testing, feedback, and general positive encouragement. I'm really excited to hear more of the sounds folks make with the plugin, and to work on some new plugins for iOS in the future!

The iOS version is on the app store: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/chowtapemodel/id1557806564
    The desktop version can be downloaded here: https://chowdsp.com/products.html#tape

Thanks,
    Jatin

Thank u for such a wonderful app!.

• Incredible. Realistic. Tapemodeling! Period!

Thanks @chowdsp you rock, sir!

• This is a great app, lovely sounds and easy to understand. Thank you, Jatin!

Just a heads up to anyone as dumb as me: The tip jar doesn't work when using the AUv3 plugin, use the standalone instead.

• @yokotate said:
    This is a great app, lovely sounds and easy to understand. Thank you, Jatin!

Just a heads up to anyone as dumb as me: The tip jar doesn't work when using the AUv3 plugin, use the standalone instead.

I think its limitation of iOS, no iAP possible inside AU plugins, but I may be wrong!?

• Great work, Jatin!

• Awesome job, Jatin!

Will you be adding a tip jar to ChowCentaur soon?

So glad you were able to get it to work on ChowTape! Looking forward to your next releases...

• @david_2017 said:

@yokotate said:
    This is a great app, lovely sounds and easy to understand. Thank you, Jatin!

I think its limitation of iOS, no iAP possible inside AU plugins, but I may be wrong!?

Oh weird, I'm pretty sure I had tested it yesterday in AUM... though there might be a difference between the test environment and the production environment!

@SNystrom said:
    Will you be adding a tip jar to ChowCentaur soon?

Yes, I have that planned along with a couple other small adjustments for the Centaur... though I'm not yet sure when I'll get around to doing that.

Thanks all!

• @chowdsp This is everything I've ever wanted in a tape emulation for chewing up my sound.

• Amazing job! Thank you! ChowTape is becoming my go-to tape emulation. Warm and lovely sound.

• Possibly stupid question...
    I have the beta installed and use it on some projects. What happens if I install the release version?. Do I have 2 or does it overwrite the beta?. I don’t want to screw up the projects already using the beta.
    Cheers!

• @tahiche said:
    Possibly stupid question...
    I have the beta installed and use it on some projects. What happens if I install the release version?. Do I have 2 or does it overwrite the beta?. I don’t want to screw up the projects already using the beta.
    Cheers!

Looks like the update overwrites the beta.

• @tahiche said:
    Possibly stupid question...
    Cheers!

The update will overwrite the beta and your existing projects should work the same as before :)