Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

ChowTape Public Beta

Hi All,

Just wanted to announce that a public beta of the ChowTapeModel AUv3 plugin is now available! There's been a fair amount of testing on iPad, but not on iPhone yet.

To download: https://testflight.apple.com/join/bXsiyPLn.

For more information about the plugin:

Comments

• Yesssss been hoping you’d treat us to an auv3 of this, been using the desktop for bit and love it.
    Thanks for your amazing work 👊

• Works beautifully in AUM.
    iPhone 8 Plus
    iOS 14.4.1

• Great stuff, I’ve been messing with this on desktop, and using the little ones you also make in max4live patches - they’re really useful building blocks and a good stepping stone to making some gen stuff of my own...

• fantastico !!!!!
    I love your vcvRack plugs
    and vst ones :)
    lookin fwd for this on iPad !:)
    you generous and creative.
    thanks!!!!

• Wow! This is one amazing plugin!!!
    Love the degradation option in the loss section. It’s really nice! Love the results. Sounds awesome!

iPhone pro 12 and latest AUM.

You may want to think about the „+“ icon?! It took me some time to figure that „loss“ itself is another button when you are in CHEW mode for instance. Maybe an arrow pointing down (as in other menu GUIs) would fit better?! Think about it, if you like.

Is there a way to create even longer dropouts in the CHEW department?

Anyways, I love you! It’s one incredible LoFi love plugin on the horizon!!!! Thank you for coding good sir!!! @chowdsp

• Love it, love the sound, the parameters, etc... did have a few minor issues, one with the ui in the WOW box, The values of each slider were cut off a little bit on the top and the bottom. Also had an issue when trying to save a preset, sent feedback via TestFlight.

Heck of an app though.

• @chowdsp I want to apologize because in one of the emails I sent you through TestFlight, I said I also like your other beta app beef, but that’s by a different developer, my bad, the logos just have a similar look and color scheme. But this tape emu is the ish, cheers.

• Love chowtape in the computer! Thanks for bringing it to iOS!

• Hi All,

Glad so many of you are enjoying this! And thanks so much for all the great feedback :). Definitely some bugs to work out (especially with the UI for smaller screens), but it's definitely exciting!

Thanks,
    Jatin

• Dis stuff sounds really good

• Hi All,
    Thanks so much to everyone who has helped with testing ChowTape! The feedback has been super helpful. I've made some adjustments based on that feedback, the main change being that the main controls UI is now "scrollable", which should help for smaller screens, and for hosts that don't allow resizing the plugin window.

I've also made some adjustments to the way that user presets are handled on iOS, but there's still one thing that's giving me a headache. Basically, when you go to type a name for your user preset, the keyboard "hides" the text box that shows what you're typing. If you hide the keyboard to see what you've typed, the only way to get the keyboard back is to "click" somewhere else on the UI so that the text box loses the keyboard focus, and then click back on the text box to make the keyboard show up again. Anyway, I'm still trying to work out a better way to do this, but that's how it is for now.

There's still a couple things I'm trying to work out, but I'm hoping to officially release version 2.8 with iOS support in the next few weeks! In the meantime, there's a new TestFlight build available (https://testflight.apple.com/join/bXsiyPLn) for anyone who wants to try it!

Thanks,
    Jatin

• @chowdsp said:
    Hi All,
    Thanks so much to everyone who has helped with testing ChowTape! The feedback has been super helpful. I've made some adjustments based on that feedback, the main change being that the main controls UI is now "scrollable", which should help for smaller screens, and for hosts that don't allow resizing the plugin window.

I've also made some adjustments to the way that user presets are handled on iOS, but there's still one thing that's giving me a headache. Basically, when you go to type a name for your user preset, the keyboard "hides" the text box that shows what you're typing. If you hide the keyboard to see what you've typed, the only way to get the keyboard back is to "click" somewhere else on the UI so that the text box loses the keyboard focus, and then click back on the text box to make the keyboard show up again. Anyway, I'm still trying to work out a better way to do this, but that's how it is for now.

There's still a couple things I'm trying to work out, but I'm hoping to officially release version 2.8 with iOS support in the next few weeks! In the meantime, there's a new TestFlight build available (https://testflight.apple.com/join/bXsiyPLn) for anyone who wants to try it!

Thanks,
    Jatin

I think this is a common issue with iPads in landscape mode, perhaps with iPhones too. For example, I find that if I’m uploading a YouTube video on iPad in landscape, entering the text into all the sections (title, description) is really annoying and behaves as you describe. But in portrait mode it’s a piece of cake.

• Running Drum Computer through it and it sounds absolutely sick

• edited April 2021

@chowdsp said:
    Hi All,

Thanks,
    Jatin

Testing on iPad Pro using the app as an AUv3 in iOS GarageBand, the scrolling is a bit awkward because attempts to turn the rotary dials will also affect the screen scrolling. Perhaps scrolling should not be possible in the middle of the UI and only performed on the scroll bar? Or perhaps if any button or dial is touched, it locks the scrolling until the action is completed? This one is a tough call, but every attempt to adjust a parameter (other than a one-touch click function) resulted in moving the entire screen.

Another thing, in my opinion all of the various options should be set to “ON” by default, but either at a zero setting or a commonly expected level. Especially because in the iOS GarageBand case the “ON” button is hidden. I was not able to make expected adjustments until I realized the ‘power’ for that setting was off and hidden way at the bottom offscreen until the UI was scrolled down. Alternatively, perhaps the “ON” button could be right next to the name of the function at the top so it is immediately visible?

I also opened the app as a standalone so it was viewable full-screen on the iPad Pro and I found it a bit confusing trying to connect the ‘numerical levels’ of each setting to the rotary dials and the sliders because the numerals are way on the bottom of the layout, nearly overlapping the title of the next dial or slider. The numerical setting needs to be in the middle of the dials or on top so it can be easily seen and connected to the adjustments being made.

Love the range of options, especially the tiny details like being able to adjust tape thickness.

Thanks for working on such a cool app and making it available for testing, Jatin!

• @chowdsp : much improved on a 9.7 inch screen when first opened in AUM. This is an awesome plugin,

For scrolling, I wonder the standard two-finger drag gesture could be used for scrolling. It might be less finicky than the scroller though I realize some people don’t know about it.

Re the conflict between the onscreen keyboard and the preset name field. What about moving the preset naming area to the top of the window where there isn’t likely to be a conflict.

• Is fantastic! Hard to believe this is free on desktop. Will it also be free on iOS? Definitely a great plug-in. This is an example of doing William Basinski style disintegration but squeezed into a Twitter-friendly 90 seconds. Obviously it would be better done more slowly and subtly, but gives an idea of its power, great stuff!

• @chowdsp said:
    Hi All,

Just wanted to announce that a public beta of the ChowTapeModel AUv3 plugin is now available! There's been a fair amount of testing on iPad, but not on iPhone yet.

To download: https://testflight.apple.com/join/bXsiyPLn.

For more information about the plugin:

dopee af

• Hi All,

Thank again for the quick feedback and wonderful suggestions! I was able to get a new build together with a few additions. As usual, you can test with TestFlight.

• The Preset menu is now at the top of the screen. This seems to fix the issue with the preset box being hidden by the keyboard, at least on all the screens I tested on.
    • The on/off "power" buttons are now at the top of each section, so they are immidiately visible without scrolling.
    • Added a bit of space between some sliders.
    • Locked the screen so it won't scroll while moving a slider.
    • Enabled 2-finger scroll.

I should mention that I'm not 100% sure about the 2-finger scroll... it does work, but if you don't put the two fingers down at exactly the same time and one of your fingers is accidentally on a slider, it is possible to accidentally change a slider value, when you're trying to scroll. This issue is most apparent on smaller screens when the parameters are a little bit more "scrunched" together. If enough of you think this is an issue, I can disable the 2-finger scroll capability... as it currently stands I'm still on the fence about it.

I should also mention that I'm trying to maintain a reasonable amount of compatibility with the desktop version, even with the UI layout. I've noticed that the more I let the two implementations diverge, the more work that creates for me whenever I need to change or add something, or when testing changes.

@Gavinski I am planning to make the plugin free on iOs as well, though I've started looking into adding an in-app purchase "tip jar". Depending on how difficult it is to implement, the tip-jar may not make it into the initial iOS release. By the way, I'm really honored that you liek the plugin! Your videos were a big part of what got me into making music on iOS in the first place :smile:.

Anyway, depending on how everything goes, I'm hoping to officially release Chow Tape version 2.8 for desktop and iOS in the next couple weeks!

• @chowdsp Please add a tip jar. Offering this app as a free resource is pretty generous (allows folks who are cash strapped to enjoy the experience) and it SOUNDS GREAT! I'd be happy to tip you for your efforts.

• Is this app already on Mac/desktop? Loving it

• @chowdsp said:
    Hi All,

Thank again for the quick feedback and wonderful suggestions! I was able to get a new build together with a few additions. As usual, you can test with TestFlight.

• The Preset menu is now at the top of the screen. This seems to fix the issue with the preset box being hidden by the keyboard, at least on all the screens I tested on.
    • The on/off "power" buttons are now at the top of each section, so they are immidiately visible without scrolling.
    • Added a bit of space between some sliders.
    • Locked the screen so it won't scroll while moving a slider.
    • Enabled 2-finger scroll.

I should mention that I'm not 100% sure about the 2-finger scroll... it does work, but if you don't put the two fingers down at exactly the same time and one of your fingers is accidentally on a slider, it is possible to accidentally change a slider value, when you're trying to scroll. This issue is most apparent on smaller screens when the parameters are a little bit more "scrunched" together. If enough of you think this is an issue, I can disable the 2-finger scroll capability... as it currently stands I'm still on the fence about it.

I should also mention that I'm trying to maintain a reasonable amount of compatibility with the desktop version, even with the UI layout. I've noticed that the more I let the two implementations diverge, the more work that creates for me whenever I need to change or add something, or when testing changes.

@Gavinski I am planning to make the plugin free on iOs as well, though I've started looking into adding an in-app purchase "tip jar". Depending on how difficult it is to implement, the tip-jar may not make it into the initial iOS release. By the way, I'm really honored that you liek the plugin! Your videos were a big part of what got me into making music on iOS in the first place :smile:.

Anyway, depending on how everything goes, I'm hoping to officially release Chow Tape version 2.8 for desktop and iOS in the next couple weeks!

Wow, that's so great to hear, I'm honoured too 😂! Honestly, great work and it's amazing that this is free, definitely get that tip jar in there at least.

• This is amazing news. Free is incredible!!!! Wow, never would have seen that coming

Keep up the amazing work sir!!!

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    @chowdsp Please add a tip jar. Offering this app as a free resource is pretty generous (allows folks who are cash strapped to enjoy the experience) and it SOUNDS GREAT! I'd be happy to tip you for your efforts.

Absolutely. There’s no reason you should not be able to make a living doing this tremendous work.

• @NeuM said:

@lukesleepwalker said:
    @chowdsp Please add a tip jar. Offering this app as a free resource is pretty generous (allows folks who are cash strapped to enjoy the experience) and it SOUNDS GREAT! I'd be happy to tip you for your efforts.

Absolutely. There’s no reason you should not be able to make a living doing this tremendous work.

Unfortunately, actually charging for apps doesn't allow most iOS devs to make a living, never mind tips enabling that! But it does make me want to ask, why is this free? @chowdsp

• edited April 2021

@Gavinski said:

@NeuM said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

Unfortunately, actually charging for apps doesn't allow most iOS devs to make a living, never mind tips enabling that! But it does make me want to ask, why is this free? @chowdsp

One never knows when an app is going to be a hit, so they should be (in my opinion) priced and marketed as if there will be more apps and options coming if customers demand them. I’m guessing small developers can make a good living if they create a series of apps which will provide a continuous revenue stream. These apps from @chowdsp clearly have hit a nerve with buyers and they’re doing something different. That’s a perfect place to be and I see no reason why each of this developers apps couldn’t be comfortably priced somewhere between $3.99 to $6.99...

• @Obo said:
    Is this app already on Mac/desktop? Loving it

Yes! You can download the latest official release here, or the latest nightly build here.

@Gavinski said:
    But it does make me want to ask, why is this free? @chowdsp

So this plugin originally came out of a research project about using physical modelling to emulate analog tape machines, which ended up being published in a paper at the 2019 DAFx conference. The plugin was meant to be part of the "supporting materials" for the paper, to give a real-world demonstration of the method I was proposing. As such, it made sense to me for the plugin to be free and open-source (I have rather strong feelings about folks who like to keep their research behind a paywall).

From there, the plugin has mostly just been something I like to use for my own mixes, and work on for fun in my free-time. I currently have a good and stable "day job", and it honestly feels kind of weird to ask people for money for a thing that I do purely for my own enjoyment. So even though it makes me feel a little weird, I've decided to add the "tip jar" just because a lot of people have asked for it, and I also made a Patreon because a few friends convinced me to.

So yeah, hopefully that answers your question! Currently, all my plugins are free and open-source. I haven't ruled out making some paid plugins in the future, but they would still most likely be open-source. I've also been looking at the Airwindows plugins (open-source and Patreon-funded), and at Matt Tytel's Vital (sort of a freemium thing; also open-source), as "full-time" developers who have free plugins, but I think I'll have to find an approach that "feels right" for me and works with my development style. Anyway, sorry to be kind of long-winded.

Thanks,
    Jatin

• Sounds good Jatin, yeah, if you have a good job and this is a just a hobby, then more power to you, nice to spread the love 💪👍