Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Novation launchkey midi MK3

2»

Comments

• edited May 2021

The @wim's script works perfectly.
    https://patchstorage.com/launchkey-mk3-utility/

You can't enter "Session mode" but you can customize "Drum mode":

• You can assign different colors to each pad in both NoteOn and NoteOFF
    • You can group the pads so that if set to "None" each pad acts independently. Otherwise, only one pad in the same group will be on at a time.
    • Each pad or group can be lit steadily or flashing.

To do this you must:

• route output from MOZAIC to the “Launchkey DAW” port
    • route the "Launchkey MIDI" output to whatever it is you want to control

Doesn't need extra coding

• @espiegel123 said:

@tahiche said:

@espiegel123 said:

@tahiche said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Tim6502 said:

@blueveek said:
    LP Mini Mk3 and X are very similar for example, but differ in a few key sysex messages by just one byte ...

@espiegel123 said:

@Tim6502 said:

@FloRi89 said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

@FloRi89 said:
    I made a test script to put my Launchkey into session mode and it works fine. You can even control the LCD display.

Would you care to share this script? I’m about to start diving into scripting things for my LPP, and I’d like to see how you approached it. Also wondering if I should just bite the bullet and do it all with novations API.

O.K so I optimized my script a little bit and created a first draft for a AUM session mode script. This is still very rough, but it supports a few basic functions. Check out the description I wrote at patch storage:

https://patchstorage.com/launchkey-mk3-session-mode-for-aum/

Since this was very easy to make I‘m thinking of expanding that a bit. This might actually be useful, the only thing that is kind of annoying is that the session mode pots don‘t have pot pickup, I would have to code that myself. That‘s not fun.

I believe the LK Mini Mk3 and the LK Mk3 are programmed differently - this may be confusing, given the ambiguous title of this thread.
    So for the Midi Mk3 folks may want to check out Wim's script: https://patchstorage.com/launchkey-mk3-utility/

My impression is that the two are largely similar in terms of MIDI implementation.

Yes, what threw me off is that @wim's script (targeted at MK3) does not enter into DAW mode, which is apparently not necessary to do for lighting pads (as long as the DAW port is used).

But I verified now that @FloRi89's Mozaic script can also initiate the DAW mode on the LK Mini MK3, so that is available.
    So, as @blueveek notes, similarly to the situation with LP X and LP Pro, the LK Mini MK3 supports a subset of the LK MK3, though there is no separate Programmer's manual for the smaller LK, which might indicate that differences are not that big with respect to programming.

BTW, @espiegel123 - I do have some Mini MK3 adaptations for your Launchkey Mini MK2 Helper Script, is that still alive?

It would be great if you could post your version to patchstorage. I have no objections to someone publishing something based on what I posted. I have been using the script that I posted and have done more work on it since then (since it works for my purposes and there hasn't been any interest from others).

Hi,
    I am very interested in this script. I just got a Launchkey Mk3.
    I tried the script by @espiegel123 from Patchstorage and I get an error. @Tim6502 did you get it working?.
    Btw I can’t seem to use @wim script for customizing the drums either.
    Id live to be able to tweak the Launchkey. Seeing @espiegel123 ’s video for the mk2 version it looks amazing. I checked out the Novation Components web and you can’t seem to do half the things this script does, as far as I can tell (might be wrong) you can only assign notes and colors to pads.

my script should be pretty simple for someone with a mk3 to update. what was the error that you got?

Sorry, I meant to attach a screenshot.

I did read your instructions but, I understand correctly, it only matters for the colors.

you get this error loading the version of the script I put on patchstorage?

Yes. This one...

• @tahiche said:

@espiegel123 said:

@tahiche said:

@espiegel123 said:

@tahiche said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Tim6502 said:

@blueveek said:
    LP Mini Mk3 and X are very similar for example, but differ in a few key sysex messages by just one byte ...

@espiegel123 said:

@Tim6502 said:

@FloRi89 said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

@FloRi89 said:
    I made a test script to put my Launchkey into session mode and it works fine. You can even control the LCD display.

Would you care to share this script? I’m about to start diving into scripting things for my LPP, and I’d like to see how you approached it. Also wondering if I should just bite the bullet and do it all with novations API.

O.K so I optimized my script a little bit and created a first draft for a AUM session mode script. This is still very rough, but it supports a few basic functions. Check out the description I wrote at patch storage:

Since this was very easy to make I‘m thinking of expanding that a bit. This might actually be useful, the only thing that is kind of annoying is that the session mode pots don‘t have pot pickup, I would have to code that myself. That‘s not fun.

I believe the LK Mini Mk3 and the LK Mk3 are programmed differently - this may be confusing, given the ambiguous title of this thread.
    So for the Midi Mk3 folks may want to check out Wim's script: https://patchstorage.com/launchkey-mk3-utility/

My impression is that the two are largely similar in terms of MIDI implementation.

Yes, what threw me off is that @wim's script (targeted at MK3) does not enter into DAW mode, which is apparently not necessary to do for lighting pads (as long as the DAW port is used).

But I verified now that @FloRi89's Mozaic script can also initiate the DAW mode on the LK Mini MK3, so that is available.
    So, as @blueveek notes, similarly to the situation with LP X and LP Pro, the LK Mini MK3 supports a subset of the LK MK3, though there is no separate Programmer's manual for the smaller LK, which might indicate that differences are not that big with respect to programming.

BTW, @espiegel123 - I do have some Mini MK3 adaptations for your Launchkey Mini MK2 Helper Script, is that still alive?

It would be great if you could post your version to patchstorage. I have no objections to someone publishing something based on what I posted. I have been using the script that I posted and have done more work on it since then (since it works for my purposes and there hasn't been any interest from others).

Hi,
    I tried the script by @espiegel123 from Patchstorage and I get an error. @Tim6502 did you get it working?.
    Id live to be able to tweak the Launchkey. Seeing @espiegel123 ’s video for the mk2 version it looks amazing. I checked out the Novation Components web and you can’t seem to do half the things this script does, as far as I can tell (might be wrong) you can only assign notes and colors to pads.

my script should be pretty simple for someone with a mk3 to update. what was the error that you got?

I did read your instructions but, I understand correctly, it only matters for the colors.

Yes. This one...

I'll take a look.

• @espiegel123 said:

@tahiche said:

@espiegel123 said:

@tahiche said:

@espiegel123 said:

@tahiche said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Tim6502 said:

@blueveek said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Tim6502 said:

@FloRi89 said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

@FloRi89 said:

Hi,

Yes. This one...

I'll take a look.

what steps lead to this error?

• @espiegel123 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@tahiche said:

@espiegel123 said:

@tahiche said:

@espiegel123 said:

@tahiche said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Tim6502 said:

@blueveek said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Tim6502 said:

@FloRi89 said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

@FloRi89 said:

Hi,

Yes. This one...

I'll take a look.

Loaded it, assigned Launchkey daw output and tried to change the color and fiddle around with the knobs.

• @tahiche said:

@espiegel123 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@tahiche said:

@espiegel123 said:

@tahiche said:

@espiegel123 said:

@tahiche said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Tim6502 said:

@blueveek said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Tim6502 said:

@FloRi89 said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

@FloRi89 said:

Hi,

Yes. This one...

I'll take a look.

Loaded it, assigned Launchkey daw output and tried to change the color and fiddle around with the knobs.

I found where the error is happening for you but haven't been able to reproduce it. I don't think it should cause any problems.

If you could provide a series of steps that leads to it that would be great.

• @tahiche : btw, you may want to check to see what midi notes the mark 3 uses for the pads. if they are different from the mark 2, it will throw off the function that maps incoming notes to pad numbers.

• @tahiche said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Tim6502 said:

@blueveek said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Tim6502 said:

@FloRi89 said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

@FloRi89 said:

Hi,

I have now uploaded what I had done so far on @espiegel123's script to: https://patchstorage.com/arturia-novation-led-helper/

This did not touch the core functionality, I just added support for:

• Arturia MiniLab Mk ii and the
    • Novation LaunchKey mini MK3

controllers. As Arturia only supports 7 fixed colors (with 8 LEDs), there are somewhat bigger differences when you have that controller. I also started documenting usage in a text file (included in the patch).

• edited May 2021

I don't have one, but I know these are quite popular:

https://www.untergeek.de/2014/11/taming-arturias-beatstep-sysex-codes-for-programming-via-ipad/

Everything you need to make a mozaic script for a beatstep is in the above link
    Its pretty much the same for all arturia stuff. Worked on a minilab as Tim6502 stated above.

• edited May 2021

@Tim6502 said:

@tahiche said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Tim6502 said:

@blueveek said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Tim6502 said:

@FloRi89 said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

@FloRi89 said:

Hi,

I have now uploaded what I had done so far on @espiegel123's script to: https://patchstorage.com/arturia-novation-led-helper/

This did not touch the core functionality, I just added support for:

• Arturia MiniLab Mk ii and the
    • Novation LaunchKey mini MK3

controllers. As Arturia only supports 7 fixed colors (with 8 LEDs), there are somewhat bigger differences when you have that controller. I also started documenting usage in a text file (included in the patch).

Feel like an idiot. Nothing happens. Followed the documentation, which btw is excellent, but nothing... the pads do turn white when I press them on the Launchkey mini mk3, but that’s about it... I must be missing something obvious. I don’t even know what mode this is supposed to work on. Drum mode or custom?.

EDIT: got it working!!!. Impressive work!.

I don’t know what’s happening, or if it’s my fault. But I can make Tim’s version work only after I have first loaded Florian’s daw control for aum script here (https://patchstorage.com/launchkey-mk3-session-mode-for-aum/) .
    It seems, and I’m just guessing, that Florians script initializes the communication with the Launchkey. After that I can load the helper script and it works under “drums” mode. Obviously happened to notice by trial and error, haven’t got a clue about what’s really happening.
    There’s an amazing potential here, but to me if it feels like unless the devs specifically implement support in their apps it looses a lot of its potential. I love the concept. I just wonder why this can’t be done with the Novation Component app. Are they limiting it on purpose so you buy the big Launchpads?. As far as I can tell this Mozaic script is sort of “faking” daw integration, meaning it’s only sending but not updating based on the daw/app state. Which is fine and still extremely useful, but it’d make a lot more sense if you could load different mappings onto the device without the need for Mozaic. Even with the components software you can only assign colors and notes to pads, no cc’s, no groups, no toggles...

• edited May 2021

(Deleted double post)

• @tahiche said:
    I just wonder why this can’t be done with the Novation Component app. Are they limiting it on purpose so you buy the big Launchpads?. As far as I can tell this Mozaic script is sort of “faking” daw integration, meaning it’s only sending but not updating based on the daw/app state. Which is fine and still extremely useful, but it’d make a lot more sense if you could load different mappings onto the device without the need for Mozaic. Even with the components software you can only assign colors and notes to pads, no cc’s, no groups, no toggles...

Components is pretty limited but you can do cc's, faders and note layouts with the launchpad. Don't have a launch key so I can't see exactly what's in the components app for that. What iI think is really lacking in components is macros. A button should be able to do more than 1 thing if you want.

Theres just more feedback you can get if you're doing it in programmers mode. Mozaic will talk with the controller so you can get more than 1 color for a toggles "on" position, change layouts on the fly, but you still run into the same problem that most apps don't have that midi out component to talk to an external controller. I'm starting to just not use apps that don't provide midi out data. For example, that means shelving the nice eventide plugins for Turnado. They aren't the best effects, but they update the controllers.

I forget what thread or who said it, but someone said spot on that developers shouldn't be aiming to support controllers out of the box, but giving users ways to integrate their controllers instead. I couldn't agree more with this.

But Tahiche, you should look at your device's programmers reference and send what you want to the controller. I suck at coding to begin with, so I myself am also trying to wrap my head around the mozaic language. I'm fine if i see finished examples. I can see what's going on, take the snippets I need, but I can't start from a blank slate.

One day i think i'll be able to make that iPad app i have in my head, but who am I kidding! Looking at what the developers here go through, it seems like there 5000x more work to be done after that app in user support that it took to write the damn thing.
    (Just look at how much blueveek and the LK crew get in their threads. I don't think i'd have the patience for that part but I admire their dedication to their creation, even though they probably hate it by this point. Props you all you developers tho)

• Very interesting @AlmostAnonymous 👍

But Tahiche, you should look at your device's programmers reference and send what you want to the controller

But I’m not programming an app, I’m just using them. If my daw, Zenbeats for example, doesn’t send those commands there’s not much I can do. With Mozaic you’re instructing Launchkey to have this color or send this command, but it’s not actually receiving any state updates, as with LK, Atom or an app with actual integration. Right?. BTW I haven’t been able to make it work with Atom2 yet.
    So if not 2-way integration at least it’d be nice to be able to configure the midi controller side. Components is ridiculously limited compared to this Mozaic script. I just don’t get it.

• @AlmostAnonymous said:

@tahiche said:
    I just wonder why this can’t be done with the Novation Component app. Are they limiting it on purpose so you buy the big Launchpads?. As far as I can tell this Mozaic script is sort of “faking” daw integration, meaning it’s only sending but not updating based on the daw/app state. Which is fine and still extremely useful, but it’d make a lot more sense if you could load different mappings onto the device without the need for Mozaic. Even with the components software you can only assign colors and notes to pads, no cc’s, no groups, no toggles...

Components is pretty limited but you can do cc's, faders and note layouts with the launchpad. Don't have a launch key so I can't see exactly what's in the components app for that. What iI think is really lacking in components is macros. A button should be able to do more than 1 thing if you want.

Theres just more feedback you can get if you're doing it in programmers mode. Mozaic will talk with the controller so you can get more than 1 color for a toggles "on" position, change layouts on the fly, but you still run into the same problem that most apps don't have that midi out component to talk to an external controller. I'm starting to just not use apps that don't provide midi out data. For example, that means shelving the nice eventide plugins for Turnado. They aren't the best effects, but they update the controllers.

I forget what thread or who said it, but someone said spot on that developers shouldn't be aiming to support controllers out of the box, but giving users ways to integrate their controllers instead. I couldn't agree more with this.

But Tahiche, you should look at your device's programmers reference and send what you want to the controller. I suck at coding to begin with, so I myself am also trying to wrap my head around the mozaic language. I'm fine if i see finished examples. I can see what's going on, take the snippets I need, but I can't start from a blank slate.

One day i think i'll be able to make that iPad app i have in my head, but who am I kidding! Looking at what the developers here go through, it seems like there 5000x more work to be done after that app in user support that it took to write the damn thing.
    (Just look at how much blueveek and the LK crew get in their threads. I don't think i'd have the patience for that part but I admire their dedication to their creation, even though they probably hate it by this point. Props you all you developers tho)

I have a Launchkey 25 MK3. For the pots you can basically just set the MIDI message they are sending, the pads you can change the color and switch between toggle and non-toggle. It's very limited but it's enought to create a control surface.

• @tahiche said:
    Very interesting @AlmostAnonymous 👍

But Tahiche, you should look at your device's programmers reference and send what you want to the controller

But I’m not programming an app, I’m just using them. If my daw, Zenbeats for example, doesn’t send those commands there’s not much I can do. With Mozaic you’re instructing Launchkey to have this color or send this command, but it’s not actually receiving any state updates, as with LK, Atom or an app with actual integration. Right?. BTW I haven’t been able to make it work with Atom2 yet.
    So if not 2-way integration at least it’d be nice to be able to configure the midi controller side. Components is ridiculously limited compared to this Mozaic script. I just don’t get it.

Yeah. That’s why I was saying you’re still limited if the app doesn’t send midi out.
    But take a launchpadmini. It only has 3 custom modes. But using programmers mode, you can get a lot more, have pads send macros, have mozaic convert note on to a sysex string for hardware. Basically send all the midi command components won’t let you do.

• @Tim6502 any idea why I need to launch @wim ’s script before I can use yours?.
    I’m just wild guessing here, but. Could it be that the Launchkey needs to be initialized in session mode first?. Maybe in your use case the Launchkey was already initiated in session mode?. I might try and merge both into one and see what happens.
    How do you edit Mozaic scripts?. I find it very cumbersome to do it within Mozaic. It’s ok to edit a variable or 2 but I can’t see how you’d code a more lengthy script.
    Cheers!.

• @tahiche said:
    @Tim6502 any idea why I need to launch @wim ’s script before I can use yours?.
    I’m just wild guessing here, but. Could it be that the Launchkey needs to be initialized in session mode first?. Maybe in your use case the Launchkey was already initiated in session mode?. I might try and merge both into one and see what happens.
    How do you edit Mozaic scripts?. I find it very cumbersome to do it within Mozaic. It’s ok to edit a variable or 2 but I can’t see how you’d code a more lengthy script.
    Cheers!.

Many of us use Textastic for editing Mozaic code. @_ki posted a syntax package for it.

• @tahiche said:
    Cheers!.

Textastic with _ki's syntax package is great. I like to edit the scripts with Textastic on my MacBook, then with Handoff enabled copy/paste them into Mozaic on the iPad.

I also edit them with Textastic on the iPad and a Bluetooth keyboard. The keyboard has shortcut keys that make it easy to switch between apps and do the copy/paste. A keyboard really helps with typing and with screen real estate.

• @tahiche : I haven't looked at the script you are talking about. but what you describe sounds like you are probably right. take a look at my script (which puts the LKey into session mode when it loads) and see if there is something similar in the script you are looking at.

• @espiegel123 said:
    @tahiche : I haven't looked at the script you are talking about. but what you describe sounds like you are probably right. take a look at my script (which puts the LKey into session mode when it loads) and see if there is something similar in the script you are looking at.

Yep!. I’ve yet to figure out how to edit the Mozaic files, I don’t have Textastic and 11€ without even knowing if I’m going to use is a bit too much...
    I’m starting to understand the concept behind the Launch controller concept. I was messing around with Zenebeats where you’d need a template file to sort of make use of it (via Mozaic) but you can’t seem to map notes, so the pads can’t be used...
    On Cubasis3 on the other hand, it seems to work a lot better.
    But I guess you can’t control a DAW via Mozaic, right?. So it is doable?. Because the daw is not gonna initiate the script that starts the Launchkey session...
    in general, what I don’t get is how little control you have over configuring the Launchkey, just the very limited Custom mode... Cubasis has the Mackie UI thing, so it might be possible to make a Mozaic script that mimics it. I saw somewhere a script for Presonus that turns Launchkey into a controller. But again, I assume the daw or app has to allow an init script that sends the startup and session commands (via midi) to the Launchkey... and that’d be the case not only for Launchkey but for any controller...
    Thanks @espiegel123 and @wim. Impressive work.

• edited May 2021

Hi @espiegel123 and @Tim6502
    I believe found the issue with the script not initializing the Launchkey mini mk3. The method @inControlOn was only targeting Launchkey mk2. I added the case for mini mk3 and the sendmidi event that I took from @wim ’s script. Now it launches on startup. It’d be nice to add a manual “launch daw mode” control like the one in Wim’s in case you loaded the script before making the midi connections.

/////////////////////////////////

@inControlOn 
      if kbdModel=2
         SendMidiNoteOn lkChan,inControlNote,127
    // added this to init session/daw mode
      elseif kbdModel=3
        // taken from wim's launchkey helper scipt
           SendMIDINoteOn 16, 12, 127
      endif
      inControlState=1
    @end 

I’m now in the process of merging both scripts into one, so i have daw control in session mode and all the rest in drum mode.
    As I commented before I’m not sure about this whole philosophy... so we have Mozaic scripts to be able to put the Launchkey in session and drum modes, we can configure colors, groups, and even send Cc messages from LK pads. That’s great.
    BUT you can’t control a DAW this way. Or at least not in a very “smart” way. For example Zenbeats mapping needs CC messages, it doesn’t respond to Notes. Zenbeats midi input is the Launchkey not Mozaic, so even if you load the Mozaic script to trigger Cc messages on pad press, it won’t be able to map to Zenebeats. I can map a knob, not pads.
    Maybe it’s possible through some complicated setup where Mozaic sends to a virtual midi port in some other app running in the background and bla bla bla. Not worth it.
    Now if the daw/drum modes were saved or recalled from Launchkey and we could configure them like we can with Mozaic, it’d be a LOT more useful. Maybe you can on the bigger models?. Assign CCs, groups and so on to pads on more custom modes?.
    I don’t get it. Unless it’s a “business model” thing where they’re crippling the possibilities. Thing is I don’t really want a big launchpad, I like the size and footprint of the mini.

• Hi,
    Here’s the script that merges Wim’s Launchkey Helper for session mode to control mutes, solo and volume and @espiegel123 ‘s script adapted by @Tim6502.
    After adding the init part taken from @wim ‘s script it now initiates correctly upon launch. So you have Wim’s helper under daw mode (checkout his AUM project with all the mappings to go with it) and @espiegel123 / @Tim6502 customizer with paging under drum mode.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/quisebw49myhhu7/Launchkey drum & DAW.mozaic?dl=0