Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Novation launchkey midi MK3

Just purchased Novation launchkey Mini 3 MK3 want to use on my iPad but Ableton Live lite cannot download on Ipad, is there a work around?

OR is there an app compatible that can be used as a midi controller wih sound for launchkey midi MK3?... new at this any help is appreciated.🙂

Comments

• edited February 2021

Ableton Live is not available for iOS, it’s as easy as that. The Launchkey Mk3 is a very capable MIDI controller though for almost any iOS music app like synths and DAWs.

Deep dive into the forum and search for topics like ”best DAW on iOS”, or synth, or effect, or any other music need and you’ll find plenty of opinions about every music app there is.

Welcome to the forum!

Regards,
    DMfan🇸🇪

• schsch
    edited February 2021

The issue you will run into is that almost no current DAWs have MIDI learn and therefore you cannot really exploit the LP in the way that it interfaces and acts with Ableton. I’m in the exact same boat with my new Launchpad X… still looking for the best iOS option.

I have pretty much all the DAWs, such as Auria Pro, Cubasis 3, Nanostudio 2, Gadget and BeatMaker 3. Of all of these, only BeatMaker 3 allows MIDI CC programming and has a session view (called SCENES) as well as a traditional linear SONG view). Unfortunately, for me, it’s the least favourite of all of the DAWs I have, but I'm thinking that I need to buckle down and really learn it.

Check out this video that shows setting up and using the LPX with BM3:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=QXUORKBLTVs&t=600s

The Ampify Launchpad app does interface very nicely with the launchpad, but it is really only a clip launcher with no easy way to do content creation.

Hope this helps… let us know what you come up with. Cheers!

• If you want Launchkey integration you should start with Groovebox by Ampify

• edited February 2021

Launchkey Mini MK3 runs great with Groovebox, Drambo, BM3 and AUM from my experience. You just need to take the time to configure the Midi Learn to your liking.

• Standby for Atom 2

• @Rebus_Knebus said:
    If you want Launchkey integration you should start with Groovebox by Ampify

This is by far the easiest one to start with, it is also free to download with limited synth editing features so you can check to see if you like the integration before you spend any money unlocking features which give you access to more synth features.
    Be aware though that the Launchkey functionality does not expand into the unlockable features, it is limited to those synth parameters available in the free version only. What you get in terms of control are note playing via both keys and scale locked pads, clip launching, scene switching and up to 5 parameters (dependent on the synth, these are the controls that are available on each synths home panel) mapped to the rotaries.

@echoopera said:
    Launchkey Mini MK3 runs great with Groovebox, Drambo, BM3 and AUM from my experience. You just need to take the time to configure the Midi Learn to your liking.

Worth noting that Launchkey works with Groovebox out-of-the-box with no setup or MIDI learn required BUT you cannot change any of the mapping so you cannot customise it to your liking, apart from wanting to add some of the unlocked synth parameters i have never felt the need to change any of the mapping.

The other apps mentioned here require some initial setup, and don't necessarily work as nicely as they lack the feedback for the controller to light up the pads. (Apart from the mentioned elsewhere Atom2, but we don't know to what level that integration goes as yet)
    You can set up a couple of custom modes on the Launchkey itself which will let you control synths that have fixed MIDI CC's and do not support MIDI Learn. This is more advanced setup and would need some understanding of MIDI and Controllers.

• Just some additional info:

• Groovebox triggers the LK session / DAW mode, as far as I'm aware no other app on iOS does that right now.
    • You can pretty much control any app that has midi learn though
    • To customize the buttons & knobs you have to download the Novation components app
  • edited February 2021

LK by imaginado integrates with some Launchpads to offer Ableton style clip launching on iOS, hosted in AUM.

You can use It either standalone as a controller for Ableton on a computer, or as an AUv3 midi clip recorder and launcher within AUM on iOS.

It works with the DAW mode ‘session’ control for some Launchpads at the moment, but not yet the mini mk3.

I use it with a Launchpad X and the experience is really good, very similar to using it with Ableton Live. Launchpad Pro and mini mk2 are also supported. I have a mini mk3 on the way, so I’m hoping they add that next.

• edited February 2021

It may help to understand a bit more about Ableton integration with certain kinds of MIDI controllers. Certain Novation MIDI controllers, the Launchpad, Keys and Control all have a layer of midi that is only used with Ableton. This layer controls certain parts of Ableton that a controller without that functionality, without that map of Ableton, would not.

That map is redundant with any other software but it doesnt affect the performance of the hardware, the Launchkeys or whatever. It just means that you have to make your own map when you use it with anything else, if you want a similar depth of integration.

On a sidenote, part of the reason why Ableton is so ridiculously expensive is due to the cost of promoting it to all and sundry. You might find something like Reaper or even Renoise is more cost effective and manageable to get your head around at first.

• edited February 2021

@ashh said:
    It may help to understand a bit more about Ableton integration with certain kinds of MIDI controllers. Certain Novation MIDI controllers, the Launchpad, Keys and Control all have a layer of midi that is only used with Ableton. This layer controls certain parts of Ableton that a controller without that functionality, without that map of Ableton, would not.

That map is redundant with any other software but it doesnt affect the performance of the hardware, the Launchkeys or whatever. It just means that you have to make your own map when you use it with anything else, if you want a similar depth of integration.

On a sidenote, part of the reason why Ableton is so ridiculously expensive is due to the cost of promoting it to all and sundry. You might find something like Reaper or even Renoise is more cost effective and manageable to get your head around at first.

This isn’t totally correct, LK on IOS makes full use of that Ableton integration and makes it usable within AUM. I’m also pretty sure that Bitwig (on desktop) can also use the Launchpad ‘session mode’ with the DrivenbyMoss controller template.

• @steve99 said:

@ashh said:

This isn’t totally correct, LK on IOS makes full use of that Ableton integration and makes it usable within AUM. I’m also pretty sure that Bitwig (on desktop) can also use the Launchpad ‘session mode’ with the DrivenbyMoss controller template.

I‘ve taken the time and researched that a bit. Session mode as it’s called is pretty much open, you only have to send the right messages to the controller. There is also documentation for that.

On iOS afaik there is currently Launchpad & LK that will make use of the session mode on the Launchpads and Groovebox for the Launchkey series.

I made a test script to put my Launchkey into session mode and it works fine. You can even control the LCD display.

So in theory you could write a Mozaik Script to make full use of the session mode. But so far the
    custom modes are more then enough for me.

Yesterday I got a Launchpad MK3, I‘m going to make a video about the possibilities, but it’s going to take a week at least.

• @FloRi89 said:

@steve99 said:

@ashh said:

I‘ve taken the time and researched that a bit. Session mode as it’s called is pretty much open, you only have to send the right messages to the controller. There is also documentation for that.

On iOS afaik there is currently Launchpad & LK that will make use of the session mode on the Launchpads and Groovebox for the Launchkey series.

I made a test script to put my Launchkey into session mode and it works fine. You can even control the LCD display.

So in theory you could write a Mozaik Script to make full use of the session mode. But so far the
    custom modes are more then enough for me.

Yesterday I got a Launchpad MK3, I‘m going to make a video about the possibilities, but it’s going to take a week at least.

Can’t wait to see your video

• @sinosoidal I think thete’s some momentum in this thread for LK to support Launchpad mini mk3. Can you consider adding it please? Apologies if you already have - mine just arrived in the post, I’ll correct this if it already works. Thank you.

@FloRi89 i look forward to your video. I bought my launchpad x on an impulse when it was mentioned to work with Atom 2. Still no Atom 2, but the Launchpad has completely changed my creative workflow (with LK, Quantum Komposer and as a Drambo controller).

Also I’m loving it as an instrument for note and beat input (the ‘x’ anyway with its velocity sensitive pads). I’ve now added the mini for more control - The future is square... although I’ve also added an Orba for more MPE, so a little bit round as well.

• @FloRi89 said:

Would you care to share this script? I’m about to start diving into scripting things for my LPP, and I’d like to see how you approached it. Also wondering if I should just bite the bullet and do it all with novations API.

• @AlmostAnonymous said:

@FloRi89 said:

Would you care to share this script? I’m about to start diving into scripting things for my LPP, and I’d like to see how you approached it. Also wondering if I should just bite the bullet and do it all with novations API.

Sure, I‘m not at home right now but I will upload it tonight. Don’t expect much though, all it does is enable/disable DAW mode, color a pad and send a SysEx to display something on the screen. It’s just a test for now, I wanted to see what I could do with it.

Mozaic is fantastic, I‘m pretty sure I could create some kind of session mode for AUM, but I‘m not yet sure what I would want to use that for that I can’t do with regular custom modes.

• edited February 2021

@steve99 said:
    @sinosoidal I think thete’s some momentum in this thread for LK to support Launchpad mini mk3. Can you consider adding it please? Apologies if you already have - mine just arrived in the post, I’ll correct this if it already works. Thank you.

@FloRi89 i look forward to your video. I bought my launchpad x on an impulse when it was mentioned to work with Atom 2. Still no Atom 2, but the Launchpad has completely changed my creative workflow (with LK, Quantum Komposer and as a Drambo controller).

Also I’m loving it as an instrument for note and beat input (the ‘x’ anyway with its velocity sensitive pads). I’ve now added the mini for more control - The future is square... although I’ve also added an Orba for more MPE, so a little bit round as well.

@FloRi89 @steve99 Love my launch pad pro and am playing it like a Linnstrument.

I cannot believe that Novation do not allow you to use that isomorphic layout as input for recording to the sequencer. Have you figured out how todo this with LK? Record sequences from launch pad pro playing it like a Linnstrument? I can’t figure out the setup LOL

• @AlmostAnonymous said:

@FloRi89 said:

O.K so I optimized my script a little bit and created a first draft for a AUM session mode script. This is still very rough, but it supports a few basic functions. Check out the description I wrote at patch storage:

https://patchstorage.com/launchkey-mk3-session-mode-for-aum/

Since this was very easy to make I‘m thinking of expanding that a bit. This might actually be useful, the only thing that is kind of annoying is that the session mode pots don‘t have pot pickup, I would have to code that myself. That‘s not fun.

• edited March 2021

• @FloRi89 said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

@FloRi89 said:

O.K so I optimized my script a little bit and created a first draft for a AUM session mode script. This is still very rough, but it supports a few basic functions. Check out the description I wrote at patch storage:

Since this was very easy to make I‘m thinking of expanding that a bit. This might actually be useful, the only thing that is kind of annoying is that the session mode pots don‘t have pot pickup, I would have to code that myself. That‘s not fun.

I believe the LK Mini Mk3 and the LK Mk3 are programmed differently - this may be confusing, given the ambiguous title of this thread.
    So for the Midi Mk3 folks may want to check out Wim's script: https://patchstorage.com/launchkey-mk3-utility/

• @Tim6502 said:

@FloRi89 said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

@FloRi89 said:

I believe the LK Mini Mk3 and the LK Mk3 are programmed differently - this may be confusing, given the ambiguous title of this thread.
    So for the Midi Mk3 folks may want to check out Wim's script: https://patchstorage.com/launchkey-mk3-utility/

According to Novation the programming is the same for both, so the session mode demo I made should still work. There is no programmers reference for the MINI MK3, so it's hard to tell. But someone with e MINI could try it and tell us.

• @FloRi89 said:

@Tim6502 said:

According to Novation the programming is the same for both, so the session mode demo I made should still work. There is no programmers reference for the MINI MK3, so it's hard to tell. But someone with e MINI could try it and tell us.

Wim's script works perfectly with the MINI MK3

• @Tim6502 said:

@FloRi89 said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

@FloRi89 said:

My impression is that the two are largely similar in terms of MIDI implementation.

• edited March 2021

LP Mini Mk3 and X are very similar for example, but differ in a few key sysex messages by just one byte (e.g. controller identification). Almost everything is identical, but because the first few bytes of each message is different, you can't theoretically reuse the exact same code for both of them. Hope this helps!

• @blueveek said:
    LP Mini Mk3 and X are very similar for example, but differ in a few key sysex messages by just one byte ...

@espiegel123 said:

@Tim6502 said:

@FloRi89 said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

@FloRi89 said:

My impression is that the two are largely similar in terms of MIDI implementation.

Yes, what threw me off is that @wim's script (targeted at MK3) does not enter into DAW mode, which is apparently not necessary to do for lighting pads (as long as the DAW port is used).

But I verified now that @FloRi89's Mozaic script can also initiate the DAW mode on the LK Mini MK3, so that is available.
    So, as @blueveek notes, similarly to the situation with LP X and LP Pro, the LK Mini MK3 supports a subset of the LK MK3, though there is no separate Programmer's manual for the smaller LK, which might indicate that differences are not that big with respect to programming.

BTW, @espiegel123 - I do have some Mini MK3 adaptations for your Launchkey Mini MK2 Helper Script, is that still alive?

• @Tim6502 said:

@blueveek said:
    LP Mini Mk3 and X are very similar for example, but differ in a few key sysex messages by just one byte ...

@espiegel123 said:

@Tim6502 said:

@FloRi89 said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

@FloRi89 said:

Yes, what threw me off is that @wim's script (targeted at MK3) does not enter into DAW mode, which is apparently not necessary to do for lighting pads (as long as the DAW port is used).

But I verified now that @FloRi89's Mozaic script can also initiate the DAW mode on the LK Mini MK3, so that is available.
    So, as @blueveek notes, similarly to the situation with LP X and LP Pro, the LK Mini MK3 supports a subset of the LK MK3, though there is no separate Programmer's manual for the smaller LK, which might indicate that differences are not that big with respect to programming.

BTW, @espiegel123 - I do have some Mini MK3 adaptations for your Launchkey Mini MK2 Helper Script, is that still alive?

It would be great if you could post your version to patchstorage. I have no objections to someone publishing something based on what I posted. I have been using the script that I posted and have done more work on it since then (since it works for my purposes and there hasn't been any interest from others).

• @espiegel123 said:

@Tim6502 said:

@blueveek said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Tim6502 said:

@FloRi89 said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

@FloRi89 said:

It would be great if you could post your version to patchstorage. I have no objections to someone publishing something based on what I posted. I have been using the script that I posted and have done more work on it since then (since it works for my purposes and there hasn't been any interest from others).

Hi,
    I am very interested in this script. I just got a Launchkey Mk3.
    I tried the script by @espiegel123 from Patchstorage and I get an error. @Tim6502 did you get it working?.
    Btw I can’t seem to use @wim script for customizing the drums either.
    Id live to be able to tweak the Launchkey. Seeing @espiegel123 ’s video for the mk2 version it looks amazing. I checked out the Novation Components web and you can’t seem to do half the things this script does, as far as I can tell (might be wrong) you can only assign notes and colors to pads.

• edited May 2021

@tahiche
    I’m in the process of this myself and trying to figure out how to use programmers mode of the novation stuff in a mozaic script instead of doing it all in a teensy/arduino. Components is pretty basic compared what we can do with scripting it.

• @tahiche said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Tim6502 said:

@blueveek said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Tim6502 said:

@FloRi89 said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

@FloRi89 said:

Hi,
    I tried the script by @espiegel123 from Patchstorage and I get an error. @Tim6502 did you get it working?.
    Id live to be able to tweak the Launchkey. Seeing @espiegel123 ’s video for the mk2 version it looks amazing. I checked out the Novation Components web and you can’t seem to do half the things this script does, as far as I can tell (might be wrong) you can only assign notes and colors to pads.

my script should be pretty simple for someone with a mk3 to update. what was the error that you got?

• @espiegel123 said:

@tahiche said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Tim6502 said:

@blueveek said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Tim6502 said:

@FloRi89 said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

@FloRi89 said:

Hi,

my script should be pretty simple for someone with a mk3 to update. what was the error that you got?

Sorry, I meant to attach a screenshot.

I did read your instructions but, I understand correctly, it only matters for the colors.

• @tahiche said:

@espiegel123 said:

@tahiche said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Tim6502 said:

@blueveek said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Tim6502 said:

@FloRi89 said:

@AlmostAnonymous said:

@FloRi89 said:

Hi,

Sorry, I meant to attach a screenshot.

I did read your instructions but, I understand correctly, it only matters for the colors.

you get this error loading the version of the script I put on patchstorage?