Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

TimeLoop by Jack Marshall (Apple Watch)

Comments

• @mistercharlie said:

That was me!

Yeah, great article!

• Any way you could sync the heartbeat sensor to Ableton link so I can control my music to the rhythm of my vascular system?

• @DaveMagoo said:
    Any way you could sync the heartbeat sensor to Ableton link so I can control my music to the rhythm of my vascular system?

I can’t sort out if you’re kidding or brilliant. I’m a fan either way.

• Is the app supposed to show up on the iPhone Watch app? It is present on my Watch, but I can't assign it as a complication as TimeLoop doesn't appear in the app list (either on the Watch, or the iPhone). Any ideas?

• edited February 2021

@sch said:
    Is the app supposed to show up on the iPhone Watch app? It is present on my Watch, but I can't assign it as a complication as TimeLoop doesn't appear in the app list (either on the Watch, or the iPhone). Any ideas?

It should appear on the app list in the iPhone watch app once it's installed.
    I haven't added a complication yet so that's why your not seeing that. Would it be useful?

• edited February 2021

@jmarshallgtl said:

@sch said:
    Is the app supposed to show up on the iPhone Watch app? It is present on my Watch, but I can't assign it as a complication as TimeLoop doesn't appear in the app list (either on the Watch, or the iPhone). Any ideas?

I haven't added a complication yet so that's why your not seeing that. Would it be useful?

Hi Jack!!

I bought it immediately some days ago, that’s a great watch app. Thanks for that great idea, mini GTL :-)

It works really well.

A complication could be a nice addition for sure, for faster looping.

Also, only issue I’ve encountered is app never quit and use audio in background forever (yellow mic icon). I force closing app like this: app on foreground, long press home button then long press crown button. This is with Watch 5 latest watchOS.

And of course like others I wish to export loops to iPhone.

I still use Grouptheloop everyday with my sax since day one ;-)

Cheers

Jean

• @Janosax said:

@jmarshallgtl said:

@sch said:

Hi Jack!!

I bought it immediately some days ago, that’s a great watch app. Thanks for that great idea, mini GTL :-)

It works really well.

A complication could be a nice addition for sure, for faster looping.

Also, only issue I’ve encountered is app never quit and use audio in background forever (yellow mic icon). I force closing app like this: app on foreground, long press home button then long press crown button. This is with Watch 5 latest watchOS.

And of course like others I wish to export loops to iPhone.

I still use Grouptheloop everyday with my sax since day one ;-)

Cheers

Jean

Glad you like the app Jean! Well spotted re the background audio, I'll shut down the audio engine when nothing is playing. That should prevent you having to force close it.

Cheers!

• edited February 2021

I have difficulties with closing the app. If I forget to force close (which is a bit complicated), the app eats all my battery in no time.

+1 for complication.

Edit: Sorry - I crossposted with your answer

• @128BPM said:
    I have difficulties with closing the app. If I forget to force close (which is a bit complicated), the app eats all my battery in no time.

+1 for complication

Great thanks @128BPM. Should be a simple fix, I'll include it in the first update.

• Excellent :)

• edited February 2021

@syrupcore said:

@DaveMagoo said:
    Any way you could sync the heartbeat sensor to Ableton link so I can control my music to the rhythm of my vascular system?

No kidding, just a vision of a late night deep in the early hours producing a track in a semi hypnotic state that seems to evolve from my own hearts rhythm is most intriguing to me, especially after some Old Toby... 😎

...ever since using Holon I wanted an app on Apple Watch that simply did heart beat to Ableton Link....this is the closest thing...

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/holon/id1352687747

I bought the timeloop app anyway as the watch is helping relieve my addiction to my phone

• @jmarshallgtl said:

@sch said:

Yeah, a one-touch way of launching the app. Currently, I have Voice Memos as a complication and TimeLooper would be a more comprehensive app to use in its stead.

• @DaveMagoo said:

@syrupcore said:

@DaveMagoo said:

No kidding, just a vision of a late night deep in the early hours producing a track in a semi hypnotic state that seems to evolve from my own hearts rhythm is most intriguing to me, especially after some Old Toby... 😎

...ever since using Holon I wanted an app on Apple Watch that simply did heart beat to Ableton Link....this is the closest thing...

I bought the timeloop app anyway as the watch is helping relieve my addiction to my phone

Love it. Even without the real-time Ableton Link part. Like, what if an app could capture your heart rate (or any biometric data the watch can capture) for 5 minutes or capture an average over 10 hours (or 10 days or...) and you could export that as a tempo map into a DAW? For the averages, I'm thinking you'd tell the app something like "make me a 4 minute tempo map by averaging/slicing my [e.g. heart rate] over the last [5] days".

• @syrupcore said:

@DaveMagoo said:

@syrupcore said:

@DaveMagoo said:

Love it. Even without the real-time Ableton Link part. Like, what if an app could capture your heart rate (or any biometric data the watch can capture) for 5 minutes or capture an average over 10 hours (or 10 days or...) and you could export that as a tempo map into a DAW? For the averages, I'm thinking you'd tell the app something like "make me a 4 minute tempo map by averaging/slicing my [e.g. heart rate] over the last [5] days".

Hi, Our apps Holon and Holon.ist do work with Ableton Link if you want to sync tempo with a pulse. For average heart rate, you can use data from HealthKit, for example averaged over a day or an hour. Heart rate variability and walking/resting heart rates are also available. I find real time pulse sync very expressive. Both apps were in fact developed to enable ”passive control”, as in not actively operating the phone.

• @jmarshallgtl said:

@128BPM said:

+1 for complication

Great thanks @128BPM. Should be a simple fix, I'll include it in the first update.

Any news?
    Will there be an Update?

Thanks

• edited June 2021

@128BPM Jack just replied to a e-mail I send him :

''I’ve been looking into the phone companion app, only benefit would be to import/export loops and it seems a bit OTT to build a whole new app just for this. I’ve been exploring some other ways to get loops off the watch so I’ll keep you posted.

The best way would be to use iCloud however watchOS 7 does not support this. Maybe there’s some progress in watchOS 8. Fingers crossed!''

So we can forget a iPhone companion app, that's sad to hear.

• @Pierre118 said:
    @128BPM Jack just replied to a e-mail I send him :

''I’ve been looking into the phone companion app, only benefit would be to import/export loops and it seems a bit OTT to build a whole new app just for this. I’ve been exploring some other ways to get loops off the watch so I’ll keep you posted.

The best way would be to use iCloud however watchOS 7 does not support this. Maybe there’s some progress in watchOS 8. Fingers crossed!''

So we can forget a iPhone companion app, that's sad to hear.

Thank you👍

Yes, a companion app would have been great…Hope there Will be another solution

• What else would we expect from a companion app? It’s not completely off the cards I just think there could be an easier way to transfer files.

@128BPM, I did fix the background audio bug. Thanks for reminding me, I’ll get the update sorted.

• >

@128BPM, I did fix the background audio bug. Thanks for reminding me, I’ll get the update sorted.

Great, Thanks, that is good news!
    I was just Playing with it this morning, and had forgotten how to shut it Down.

• What’s the craic with this app now? Did we get a way to get the loops off the watch yet?

I got an Apple Watch a few months ago but haven’t explored anything musical with it.
    Does anyone know what the mic is like for field recordings and stuff like that?

• I've had problems with calibrating to the airpods. I cannot get through the entire process even though I've restarted my watch, ensured I was in a quiet place, and had the airpods right next to the watch. Also, the level of the loop recording is way too low to be useable. I adjusted the level to max in the app, but it barebly audible. Any ideas?

• Ah darn, thanks for letting me know about those problems. I’ll have a look tomorrow and see if I can figure out what’s going on.

What AirPods are you using?

No progress on exporting loops yet. I’ll have another look to see if they released anything recently that could help. As far as I’m aware airdrop and iCloud sharing don’t work on standalone watch apps. :(

• edited June 2023

Late to the party, but bought to support the dev. Big plus ones to a) exporting the loops to iPhone/iPad, and b) a complication so I can just set it running with one tap. This would be excellent for on the fly field recording. An app I already have as a complication called Just Press Record already offers on-watch export to iPhone, so it is clearly possible.

• @jmarshallgtl said:
    Ah darn, thanks for letting me know about those problems. I’ll have a look tomorrow and see if I can figure out what’s going on.

No progress on exporting loops yet. I’ll have another look to see if they released anything recently that could help. As far as I’m aware airdrop and iCloud sharing don’t work on standalone watch apps. :(

Airpod Pro. Thanks for any advise you can provide. This looks like a very interesting approach that I could use.

• edited June 2023

@Svetlovska said:
    Late to the party, but bought to support the dev. Big plus ones to a) exporting the loops to iPhone/iPad, and b) a complication so I can just set it running with one tap. This would be excellent for on the fly field recording. An app I already have as a complication called Just Press Record already offers on-watch export to iPhone, so it is clearly possible.

Is ‘just press record’ any good? What’s the quality like?

• edited June 2023

Pretty good, actually. I got it to use as an instant voice memo thing rather than a music thing but I have used it once or twice to capture ‘sounds of opportunity’ like piledrivers at building sites.

• @funjunkie27 said:

@jmarshallgtl said:
    Ah darn, thanks for letting me know about those problems. I’ll have a look tomorrow and see if I can figure out what’s going on.

Airpod Pro. Thanks for any advise you can provide. This looks like a very interesting approach that I could use.

Hi, @funjunkie27, I think I know what's going on. The calibration asks you to take off your headphones, the AirPods automatically turn off when you do that so the calibration doesn't work. Any way, this is all irrelevant as I did some research and the AirPods don't need calibrating as they report the latency to the app automatically. The calibration is just for 3rd party headphones.

TimeLoop is a little old now and there are a few bugs at the minute. I've been working on it today and fixed some of them. Might be worth waiting for the next update.

• @jmarshallgtl - thanks for the update! Any idea on the timeline of the update? Looking forward to it.

• edited June 2023

@funjunkie27, the AppStore have just approved TimeLoop 1.0.2. Many fixes and improvements. Let me know how you get on.

• @jmarshallgtl said:
    @funjunkie27, the AppStore have just approved TimeLoop 1.0.2. Many fixes and improvements. Let me know how you get on.

WIll do...I'm going to tied up with work for the next several days, but I should be able to look at it before the eow.