Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

TimeLoop by Jack Marshall (Apple Watch)

New apple watch app from the developer of Group The Loop

https://apps.apple.com/app/id1519972456

Description:

Stand alone audio looper app for the Apple Watch.
Sketch out ideas, build up layers, practise and hone your musical skills - All on your watch!

Video:

Details:
Universal: No
Minimum OS version: 13.0
Rated: 0 based on 0 votes

Comments

• Incredible a looper on a wrist, the most innovative and game changing development since a long time.
    Instabuy.

• What a time we live in. That is truly a "we were promised jetpacks" type of product there. Can you export the loops to your iOS device or laptop?

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    What a time we live in. That is truly a "we were promised jetpacks" type of product there. Can you export the loops to your iOS device or laptop?

Thanks everyone,

Not as yet @lukesleepwalker. As it's a standalone app apparently we're not allowed to share stuff... Anyway if people are interested in this I will put together a simple iPhone companion app to get the loops off the watch.

Keep me updated with feedback.

• Some people have been having issues installing it on the watch after purchasing it on the iPhone. Must be something up with the App Store.

Best way at the moment is to search for it directly on the watches App Store and install from there. TimeLoop one word.
    If you're still having issues let me know and I'll sort it out.

Cheers!

• @jmarshallgtl said:

@lukesleepwalker said:
    What a time we live in. That is truly a "we were promised jetpacks" type of product there. Can you export the loops to your iOS device or laptop?

Thanks everyone,

Not as yet @lukesleepwalker. As it's a standalone app apparently we're not allowed to share stuff... Anyway if people are interested in this I will put together a simple iPhone companion app to get the loops off the watch.

Dude, that is very cool. Nice work!

• @jmarshallgtl said:

It would be nice to be able to get the loops off the watch, so I vote for a companion app to handle this 😊👍

• Noted, thanks for the feedback @White.

• YES! Thank You 🙏

I literally bought an iWatch, waiting for this kind of app to arrive.

I write better songs on the go and even an iPhone can be too distracting, so this is a really exciting development.

Having just downloaded it, Your app seems to work very well👍

It would be perfect if I could

1: Import a backing track from iPhone.

This way, I could make a pool of sketches/mix that need a Topline or lyric. Then go for a walk -> get in the zone. I could have all my current sketches made in the studio, ready on the watch for instant inspiration elsewhere.

Yes, I know Apple makes this transfer difficult/impossible?

Or

2: Record the backing track directly on the watch with the watch microphone. ( if #1 isn’t possible)

3: The backingtracks should be like templates, protected for being overwritten/overdubbed.

4: When You make an overdub, the new overdub/take should be saved as a new separate file ( not messing with the original backing track)

The dream would be to have an option to choose whether to save the new loop as:

A: “mix” (backing + new topline)
    B: “Topline” Only the new take.

5: option to transfer the files to iPhone.

So, basically a kind of 2 track recorder. I once had a dictaphone that could save as 2 separate files. It was perfect for sketching. Think it was a Tascam DR-1 (?)

Maybe it is too much to ask for🤗

Keep up the good work.

• An extra vote for a companion app please

• edited January 2021

Thanks for the feedback @128BPM,

All good ideas, I like the backing track as a template. Maybe it could be run in place of the metronome track.

The plan was to have a share option in the app but subsequently found this not possible. Shame but I suspect a companion app for the iPhone is the way to go to make this happen.

Saving new files for overdub layers - I agree but not sure the watch is up to it yet haha. TimeLoop originally could run multiple loops simultaneously however it ground to a halt after just a few...

• edited January 2021

@jmarshallgtl said:

I like the backing track as a template. Maybe it could be run in place of the metronome track.

Yes - good idea!
    Would be nice to be able to choose between different templates ( songs).

I know the Watch isn’t ready for all my wishes yet...but thank You for pushing the limits.

And...it is important to find the right balance between
    immediate <> options

• @jmarshallgtl sooo... at the moment there's no way at all to get the recordings off the watch?

• @skiphunt said:
    @jmarshallgtl sooo... at the moment there's no way at all to get the recordings off the watch?

Afraid not at the moment. It's at the top of my list and I'm hoping to take a look at it next week. I suspect the solution will be some sort of companion app for the iPhone. Keep those loops safe, I'll make it happen!

• Are there any other good watch-based music apps? Like a theramin app, for example?

• @mistercharlie said:
    Are there any other good watch-based music apps? Like a theramin app, for example?

Good idea: Theramin Watch App!
    That’s money!

• I know there have been some watch-based metronomes, but I never found one I liked more than the phone metronome apps.

• edited February 2021

I’ve got these two (the free versions)

https://apps.apple.com/dk/app/melodybox/id1530925661

https://apps.apple.com/dk/app/soundbirdy/id1528844278

Haven’t really tried them yet.

• Also:

Tuner
    https://apps.apple.com/dk/app/free-guitar-string-instruments-chromatic-tuner-tone/id1041717340

And a GREAT radio app.
    You can find any style from around the world From Amigamusic -> Swedish folk songs -> Afro -> EDM -> talkradio -> Lebanese pop.
    Anything.
    The sound quality is often low, but some stations is OK.
    Nice way to “travel” COVID -19 safe.

https://apps.apple.com/dk/app/streamlets/id1507575984

• Is it available as AUv3?

Does it accept MIDI CCs?

What audio effects does it come with?

Can I export to Ableton?

Will it go on sale? I see it's $1.99 but I prefer buying things on sale.

Does it do polyrhythms/polymeter?

Does it send export audio as 24 bit 192khz?

Will it support poly aftertouch?

Is it velocity sensitive?

Can I use it inside BM3 while BM3 is inside AUM which is inside Drambo?

What are the dev's plan for integration with modular?

Does it send/receive master clock?

Did I miss anything guys?

• @ipadthai said:

Ableton Link

• edited February 2021

Hi @ipadthai,

Some great questions!

@ipadthai said:
    Is it available as AUv3?

TimeLoop is a standalone Apple Watch app so it's not available on iOS which means no AUv3 unfortunately. If there is enough interest then I will consider porting it.

Does it accept MIDI CCs?

Again as it's just on the Apple Watch I don't think MIDI is possible. I may be completely wrong though! I'll check that.
    Question for others: Would MIDI control of TimeLoop be of use to anyone? Bear in mind TimeLoop is best as a sketch / practise tool as we don't have wired audio connections on the watch only bluetooth.

Will it support poly aftertouch?

As above ^

Is it velocity sensitive?

As above ^

What audio effects does it come with?

None I'm afraid. As soon as Apple opens up their audio unit frameworks to watchOS devs then it will be possible.
    Also I suspect the hardware is not powerful enough yet for any serious effect processing. I had to be super light with TimeLoop.

Can I export to Ableton?

I'm working on export this week. Looks like we might be able to incorporate iCloud or if not a companion iPhone app to handle all this stuff.

Does it send export audio as 24 bit 192khz?

As answer above. Would we really need this quality? Remember TimeLoop uses the watches microphone to record. It also has very limited storage so it would be upscaling at best.

Will it go on sale? I see it's $1.99 but I prefer buying things on sale.

No plans yet.

Does it do polyrhythms/polymeter?

Nope, I'm sure you could do this yourself on a looper though. It has many different time signature options.

Can I use it inside BM3 while BM3 is inside AUM which is inside Drambo?

Like Inception haha?
    No it's for watchOS only at the moment.

What are the dev's plan for integration with modular?

Pass

Does it send/receive master clock?

Nope, I wonder wether Ableton Link would work on the watch... I'll check.

Nope :)

It's good to remember this is fairly new territory plus the Apple Watch runs on a different OS to the iPhone and iPad. It shares a lot of the same workings although it's missing some useful audio features, so not everything is possible at the moment.

Cheers

• @jmarshallgtl said:
    Hi @ipadthai,

Some great questions!

@ipadthai said:
    Is it available as AUv3?

TimeLoop is a standalone Apple Watch app so it's not available on iOS which means no AUv3 unfortunately. If there is enough interest then I will consider porting it.

I think there's a lot of interest for an auv3 audio looper, just read this discussion:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/43483/working-synced-looper-for-aum-enso-not-working#latest

• Oh boy. What have I done? I was poking fun with my questions at people who ask a million questions about an app that's a few bucks. But thanks anyway for answering them :)

• Haha, great :)
    More awareness to Apple Watch audio

• I'll nab it "as is" just as soon as you can export out. Using iCloud (if possible) would be cool

• @ipadthai said:
    Oh boy. What have I done? I was poking fun with my questions at people who ask a million questions about an app that's a few bucks. But thanks anyway for answering them :)

Haha! Doh, well I enjoyed answering them. You never know could be useful for someone.

• @mistercharlie said:

That was me!

Really appreciate this @mistercharlie, it’s a cracking article!