Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Recommend a DAW that sends MIDI control when "record" is pressed?

2»

Comments

• @Sabicas said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Sabicas said:
    What’s wrong with this routing? If I go straight from Streambyter to MidiScope, I see what I want in the monitor. But if I go into networksession then back out into Midiscope, nothing.

Network session requires that some host has been setup and that you've joined the session. AUM doesn't publish its MIDI port. So Auria can't listen to it. You may need to use Audiobus for this. I often have to use Audiobus as a go-between between AUM and apps that need a port to listen to.

Would you mind giving me a rundown on the Audiobus process you have in mind. I assume I need to route Streambyter to Audiobus in AUM? Then what? Do I even need AUM anymore?

I went to the midi tab, choose Streambyter as the source and Auria (all channels) as midi receiver. In Auria, I choose receive MMC from AB3. Nothing yet.

There are many ways to go. I'll do a couple of tests. In the meantime, post to the Auria from about MMC not being sent.

And you did double check that everything was set to work in the background?

Are you planning on using AUM for anything other than routing to your camera?

• @wim said:
    @sabicas - if I've read correctly, your camera app responds to notes, correct?

If so, then a very simple Mozaic script would do what you want, I think:

@Description
    Send a note out on host start and stop.
    Set the note number to send for "on" and "off" below (can be the same note)
    @End

@OnLoad
      channel = 0
      on = 36
      off = 38
    @End

@OnHostStart
      SendMIDINoteOn channel,on,127
    @End

@OnHostStop
      SendMidiNoteOn channel,off,127
    @End

All you would need to do is route the midi out from the script to your camera app, copy/paste the above into the "code" area and press "upload". If it works then save it as a script for later use. If not then it probably won't be hard to sort out. The nice part is the script should work in any host that can route midi out from AU plugins.

If you don't have Mozaic it's worth getting whether you're interested in scripting or not. There are a whole mess of fun and useful scripts available on patchstorage.com, and almost always someone willing to write a custom script if needed.

Mosaic isn’t expensive but I’m holding off buying new apps until I get some response from Auria support. I’m becoming more and more convinced that the non-pro version doesn’t communicate MMC at all, despite having the settings visible.

• edited December 2020

@espiegel123 said:

@Sabicas said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Sabicas said:
    What’s wrong with this routing? If I go straight from Streambyter to MidiScope, I see what I want in the monitor. But if I go into networksession then back out into Midiscope, nothing.

Network session requires that some host has been setup and that you've joined the session. AUM doesn't publish its MIDI port. So Auria can't listen to it. You may need to use Audiobus for this. I often have to use Audiobus as a go-between between AUM and apps that need a port to listen to.

Would you mind giving me a rundown on the Audiobus process you have in mind. I assume I need to route Streambyter to Audiobus in AUM? Then what? Do I even need AUM anymore?

I went to the midi tab, choose Streambyter as the source and Auria (all channels) as midi receiver. In Auria, I choose receive MMC from AB3. Nothing yet.

There are many ways to go. I'll do a couple of tests. In the meantime, post to the Auria from about MMC not being sent.

And you did double check that everything was set to work in the background?

Are you planning on using AUM for anything other than routing to your camera?

I’ve contacted the Auria dev. If Audiobus can send a midi note via Bluetooth to my iPhone, and my above AB3 setup can kick off Auria with the same note, then there’s no need for AUM.

Did you see my latest screenshots?

UPDATE: AB3 triggers Midi Camera. No problems there.

• @Sabicas, have you considered just adding a midi track with a pattern that has the note in it, then just placing that pattern where you want recording to start? Or is it critical that wherever and whenever you press play the camera starts?

• @Sabicas said:
    I’ve now got it set up completely in AB3. I get the sysex start command in midiscope, successfully. no response from Auria.

Try F0 7F 01 instead of 00 per the example posted earlier. Also, do you have Auria listening to AB's virtual MIDI port? You might need to send it that way.

• edited December 2020

@espiegel123 said:

@Sabicas said:
    I’ve now got it set up completely in AB3. I get the sysex start command in midiscope, successfully. no response from Auria.

Try F0 7F 01 instead of 00 per the example posted earlier. Also, do you have Auria listening to AB's virtual MIDI port? You might need to send it that way.

Script updated

This is the only choice I have.

• @wim said:
    @Sabicas, have you considered just adding a midi track with a pattern that has the note in it, then just placing that pattern where you want recording to start? Or is it critical that wherever and whenever you press play the camera starts?

I have the non-pro version of Auria which means I can’t create a midi track. Audio only.

• edited December 2020

@espiegel123 said:

@Sabicas said:

Success! This worked. I’m not sure why because I added the Audiobus virtual midi bridge (channel 1) as an AB output, but it didn’t appear as an input in Auria. I’m now able to start and stop, but it disarms the transport record button after stop. Is there a possible addition to the script that will arm record just before hitting play?

• @Sabicas . I tested this and it works for me.

StreamByter code

`# StreamByter - Audeonic Apps
    If MT == 90

Send F0 7F 01 06 02 F7

End `

Setups

• @sabicas: if I press a key on the audiobus keyboard, auria’s transport starts.

• edited December 2020

@espiegel123 said:
    @sabicas: if I press a key on the audiobus keyboard, auria’s transport starts.

Did you see my previous reply? It’s working!

I need to figure out the script for “record”, “undo” and possibly “rewind”.

• @Sabicas said:

@espiegel123 said:

I must have missed it.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Sabicas said:

@espiegel123 said:

I must have missed it.

Thanks for sticking with me through this marathon thread.

• @Sabicas said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Sabicas said:

Success! This worked. I’m not sure why because I added the Audiobus virtual midi bridge (channel 1) as an AB output, but it didn’t appear as an input in Auria. I’m now able to start and stop, but it disarms the transport record button after stop. Is there a possible addition to the script that will arm record just before hitting play?

what is called virtual midi bridge in Audiobus Is what Auria Pro calls Audiobus. The machine command for record is 06.

You might find this page useful

http://midi.teragonaudio.com/tech/mmc.htm

• @espiegel123 said:

@Sabicas said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Sabicas said:

what is called virtual midi bridge in Audiobus Is what Auria Pro calls Audiobus. The machine command for record is 06.

You might find this page useful

http://midi.teragonaudio.com/tech/mmc.htm

I tested it and sending the 06 machine code is like pressing play and record. There are stop and rewind commands, too.

• edited December 2020

After all the slog and fuss, this has worked out rather nicely. I can control everything (Auria and Midi Camera) from one screen and not have to switch apps between takes.

• edited January 2021

Deleted