Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Recommend a DAW that sends MIDI control when "record" is pressed?

edited December 2020 in General App Discussion

Possibly noob stuff here, but here's what I'm trying to do. I want to record multi-track instrumental videos but don't want to have to hit "record" both on my iPad DAW to capture audio and on my iPhone camera to start video recording on every take. I've made the following progress but hit a roadblock with Auria.

• I purchased the excellent "Midi Camera" app from Secret Nerd Base. I was able to set up AUM on my iPad to trigger my iPhone camera to stop and start using the built-in AUM keyboard.
  • I'm also able to trigger the record button in AUM with the same keyboard midi note. However, I need a traditional DAW timeline so recording in AUM is not going to work for me.

Here's where the roadblock comes in.

• After doing a lot of research and manual reading of various DAWs, I now own Auria and hitting record does not send out any midi signal that I can route to the Midi Camera app on my iPhone. The manual says it can send stop/start messages. Talking to support about it.
  • I haven't figured out how to trigger record/stop in Auria from AUM.

Even if the second Auria option above is possible, I really just need a DAW that can trigger Midi Camera so I only have to hit record/stop in one place.

Are there any DAWs that can do this? I read about the 4Pockets Multitrack app and would love to work solely in AUM with that plugin, but it sounds like it has a lot of limitations. It's not even clear if I can trigger it to record from AUM itself.

My basic requirements from a DAW, besides the above.

• Audio only. I don't do midi, except for the above control need.
  • Must host auv3
  • Must be able to do basic editing such as crossfades, slice, etc. I don't need a lot of the advanced routing options in Auria. Nor do I need mastering. I'm not making commercial quality recordings here, just youtube vids to share and collaborate with others.

Thanks for any suggestions or ideas of what might be a better workflow that I haven't thought about.

Comments

• @Sabicas said:
    Possibly noob stuff here, but here's what I'm trying to do. I want to record multi-track instrumental videos but don't want to have to hit "record" both on my iPad DAW to capture audio and on my iPhone camera to start video recording on every take. I've made the following progress but hit a roadblock with Auria.

• I purchased the excellent "Midi Camera" app from Secret Nerd Base. I was able to set up AUM on my iPad to trigger my iPhone camera to stop and start using the built-in AUM keyboard.
    • I'm also able to trigger the record button in AUM with the same keyboard midi note. However, I need a traditional DAW timeline so recording in AUM is not going to work for me.

Here's where the roadblock comes in.

• I own Auria and hitting record does not send out any midi signal that I can route to the Midi Camera app on my iPhone.
    • I haven't figured out how to trigger record/stop in Auria from AUM.

Even if the second Auria option above is possible, I really just need a DAW that can trigger Midi Camera so I only have to hit record/stop in one place.

Are there any DAWs that can do this? I read about the 4Pockets Multitrack app and would love to work solely in AUM with that plugin, but it sounds like it has a lot of limitations. It's not even clear if I can trigger it to record from AUM itself.

My basic requirements from a DAW, besides the above.

• Audio only. I don't do midi, except for the above control need.
    • Must host auv3
    • Must be able to do basic editing such as crossfades, slice, etc. I don't need a lot of the advanced routing options in Auria. Nor do I need mastering. I'm not making commercial quality recordings here, just youtube vids to share and collaborate with others.

Thanks for any suggestions or ideas of what might be a better workflow that I haven't thought about.

Auria can send MIDI machine commands. Look in settings. You can route MMC to any MIDI device Auria can see. You could also use Audiobus and set it up to use a midi command you could send it from anywhere to start both AP’s transport and your midi camera.

• edited December 2020

@espiegel123 said:

Auria can send MIDI machine commands. Look in settings. You can route MMC to any MIDI device Auria can see.

I'm afraid not. I've tried every setting possible in Auria and the best I can do is get a "Reset All Receivers" message in my midi monitor. That's not something I can use to trigger the camera.

• edited December 2020

@espiegel123 said:
    You could also use Audiobus and set it up to use a midi command you could send it from anywhere to start both AP’s transport and your midi camera.

If that's possible in Audiobus, wouldn't it also be possible in AUM?

• @Sabicas said:

@espiegel123 said:

Auria can send MIDI machine commands. Look in settings. You can route MMC to any MIDI device Auria can see.

I'm afraid not. I've tried every setting possible in Auria and the best I can do is get a "Reset All Receivers" message in my midi monitor. That's not something I can use to trigger the camera. I wrote Auria support and was told this is not possible.

A couple of things.

• Have you tried using a MIDI Monitor to see what AP sends when it send MMC to the MIDI Monitor? It sends a bunch of MIDI when you press play. You could write a simple script to listen for a critical command that happens at that time and send a MIDI command of your choice out to MIDI Camera using StreamByter or Mozaic.

• Do you have AudioBus? It has a MIDI Learn feature which will map any MIDI it can receive to lots of different things..including its transport. Since it’s transport can start AP, you could use the same MIDI to trigger AP playback/record and send something to external MIDI.

• edited December 2020

@espiegel123 said:

@Sabicas said:

@espiegel123 said:

I'm afraid not. I've tried every setting possible in Auria and the best I can do is get a "Reset All Receivers" message in my midi monitor. That's not something I can use to trigger the camera. I wrote Auria support and was told this is not possible.

A couple of things.

• Have you tried using a MIDI Monitor to see what AP sends when it send MMC to the MIDI Monitor? It sends a bunch of MIDI when you press play. You could write a simple script to listen for a critical command that happens at that time and send a MIDI command of your choice out to MIDI Camera using StreamByter or Mozaic.

Yes, it sends nothing. The only setting that shows up in the monitor is "send notes" which results in either "FF" or "Reset all Receivers", depending on which monitor app I use (Midi Wrench and MF Montior, respectively).

• Do you have AudioBus? It has a MIDI Learn feature which will map any MIDI it can receive to lots of different things..including its transport. Since it’s transport can start AP, you could use the same MIDI to trigger AP playback/record and send something to external MIDI.

The Midi Camera app also has midi learn.

I did purchase Audiobus, years ago, but have never learned to use it. AUM just made more sense to me. I figured everything Audiobus could do for me, AUM could do it as well.

But before we get into Audiobus details, I think we should figure out why you receive messages from Auria that I don't.

• @Sabicas said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Sabicas said:

@espiegel123 said:

A couple of things.

Yes, it sends nothing. The only thing that gets a response is "send notes" which is results in either "FF" or "Reset all Receivers", depending on which monitor app I use (Midi Wrench and MF Montior, respectively).

I did purchase Audiobus, years ago, but have never learned to use it. AUM just made more sense to me. I figured everything Audiobus could do for me, AUM could do it as well.

But before we get into Audiobus details, I think we should figure out why you receive messages from Auria that I don't.

I put a midi monitor on what Auria sends out and there is quite a bit that it sends. If you send that Mozaic or streambyter, you can listen to those messages and send whatever you went to another destination.

Load a midi monitor app . I used midiscope. Choose it as a destination from AP and choose send MMC. It sends many midi bytes. You could choose anything that gets as your trigger for sending something else.

• edited December 2020

@espiegel123 said:

@Sabicas said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Sabicas said:

@espiegel123 said:

A couple of things.

Yes, it sends nothing. The only thing that gets a response is "send notes" which is results in either "FF" or "Reset all Receivers", depending on which monitor app I use (Midi Wrench and MF Montior, respectively).

I put a midi monitor on what Auria sends out and there is quite a bit that it sends. If you send that Mozaic or streambyter, you can listen to those messages and send whatever you went to another destination.

Load a midi monitor app . I used midiscope. Choose it as a destination from AP and choose send MMC. It sends many midi bytes. You could choose anything that gets as your trigger for sending something else.

I tried midi scope. I checked all boxes in the Filter tab, tried it with the scope tab connected and disconnected. No response after arming a track, hitting record and play. See screenshots.

• Here are the AP settings

Here is MIDI Scope after having starters and stopped the transport

Those are the MMC commands for start and stop.

• edited December 2020

I don't have the "pro" version of Auria so I don't have those options starting with "Transient paste...". However, the transport and send stop/start are not listed as pro-only options in the manual. Indeed, I even see that radio button in my settings. I don't know what else to say, my monitor does not get those commands. It's blank.

• @Sabicas said:
    I don't have the "pro" version of Auria so I don't have those options starting with "Transient paste...". However, the transport and send stop/start are not listed as pro-only options in the manual. Indeed, I even see that radio button in my settings. I don't know what else to say, my monitor does not get those commands. It's blank.

Maybe you don’t have MIDI Scope set to display all messages? I mean AP HAS to send those messages outp. That is what MMC is..midi. AP supports MMC. MMC is just midi sysex messages that tell a transport what to do.

Btw, you could also use any of those controller reset messages (you mentioned earlier) as triggers from an app like Mozaic To send whatever midi message you want. It doesn’t matter what their intention was. If they only happen when you start playback, listen for them and send something out when you receive it.

• edited December 2020

Well, I checked midiscope again and I do have it set it up to display everything (MIDI Channel = ALL and all checkboxes checked). This would be the third midi monitoring app that I would have set up wrong....not to mention the midi camera app that also can't see the messages. It's becoming apparent this is a bug that is probably only present in the Auria non-pro version.

I was looking into Mozaic and thought the same thing, however, it seems that it's not necessary if my Auria app is working correctly. So, I'm going to hit up support and try to get this resolved.

• @Sabicas said:
    Well, I checked midiscope again and I do have it set it up to display everything (MIDI Channel = ALL and all checkboxes checked). This would be the third midi monitoring app that I would have set up wrong....not to mention the midi camera app that also can't see the messages. It's becoming apparent this is a bug that is probably only present in the Auria non-pro version.

I was looking into Mozaic and thought the same thing, however, it seems that it's not necessary if my Auria app is working correctly. So, I'm going to hit up support and try to get this resolved.

Can post pictures of your midiscope filter set up?

If AP isn't sending MMC, you should report it to the dev.

As I said, you could watch for the reset controllers message that you said you do see with send notes.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Sabicas said:

As I said, you could watch for the reset controllers message that you said you do see with send notes.

• @Sabicas said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Sabicas said:

I just looked at your setup. I think you may have MIDI Scope set up listening to the wrong port. Turn on the MIDI Scope virtual port. That is what Auria is sending the commands to. When you choose MIDI Scope from Auria, you are telling Auria to send the MIDI to MIDI Scope not to Auria.

• edited December 2020

New screenshots. Same result... I also tried it with only the "MIDI Scope virtual" checked and not the other two.

• @Sabicas said:
    New screenshots. Same result... I also tried it with only the "MIDI Scope virtual" checked and not the other two.

You should tell the developer that MMC isn't being set. (Though it might be worth rebooting your iPad and trying again -- because it seems like a pretty huge bug that is is not sending MMC)

In the meantime, if you turn on Send Notes, you take a look at the messages that AP sends out when you press start. You could listen to one of those messages with Mozaic or streambyter and then send whatever you want.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Sabicas said:

You should tell the developer that MMC isn't being set. (Though it might be worth rebooting your iPad and trying again -- because it seems like a pretty huge bug that is is not sending MMC)

In the meantime, if you turn on Send Notes, you take a look at the messages that AP sends out when you press start. You could listen to one of those messages with Mozaic or streambyter and then send whatever you want.

Thanks for the suggestion of Mozaic and streambyter. If this doesn't work out after talking to the Dev, I'll head down that path. Until then, I'm not going to spend any more $$ or introduce any more variables. If I can get Auria to send MMC, I can send those messages directly to my phone through bluetooth midi with no workarounds necessary.

• @Sabicas said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Sabicas said:

Thanks for the suggestion of Mozaic and streambyter. If this doesn't work out after talking to the Dev, I'll head down that path. Until then, I'm not going to spend any more $$ or introduce any more variables. If I can get Auria to send MMC, I can send those messages directly to my phone through bluetooth midi with no workarounds necessary.

Does the receiving app know about MMC? They are sysex commands and unless an app knows about MMC, it might not see them.

• I checked with the MIDI Camera Dev and it does not listen for MMC/sysex. So, I’ve got streambyter set up in AUM and have sent the only thing possible from Auria. However, I just figured out that the “FF” message I get is not sent on “play”. It’s sent on “stop”. So, this path still awaits an MMC fix from Auria Dev. Then I’ll have to convert it in streambyter. Pain in the butt, this is.

• @Sabicas said:
    I checked with the MIDI Camera Dev and it does not listen for MMC/sysex. So, I’ve got streambyter set up in AUM and have sent the only thing possible from Auria. However, I just figured out that the “FF” message I get is not sent on “play”. It’s sent on “stop”. So, this path still awaits an MMC fix from Auria Dev. Then I’ll have to convert it in streambyter. Pain in the butt, this is.

Just making sure that you have background processing On in both midi scope and AP.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Sabicas said:
    I checked with the MIDI Camera Dev and it does not listen for MMC/sysex. So, I’ve got streambyter set up in AUM and have sent the only thing possible from Auria. However, I just figured out that the “FF” message I get is not sent on “play”. It’s sent on “stop”. So, this path still awaits an MMC fix from Auria Dev. Then I’ll have to convert it in streambyter. Pain in the butt, this is.

Just making sure that you have background processing On in both midi scope and AP.

Other things you can do:

• listen to midi clock with Mozaic and send your command the first time you receive a clock event
    • Have a track in your Auria pro project with a midi track that has the MIDI event of your choice at time zero that gets sent to your camera.
  • edited December 2020

@Sabicas Cubasis 2 and 3 send MIDI Status Start, Stop and Continue messages plus MIDI clock pulses when playing or recording. Both have their bugs but they should work for what you've described.

Edit: I've read your post again and I think that you don't have to mess with MIDI sync at all because the MIDI camera app also supports note messages. All you need is a MIDI track alongside your audio tracks that has one note on it to trigger the camera app.

Garageband should work just as well btw.

• edited December 2020

does Midi camera itself send MTC or MMC? Details on the app are scarce.

• edited December 2020

@SoNoob said:
    does Midi camera itself send MTC or MMC? Details on the app are scarce.

Not that I can see. It's a very simple interface.

@rs2000 @espiegel123 I do not have Auria Pro so I can't create a midi track.

Currently, I'm trying to use Streambyter to convert notes from the AUM keyboard to MMC messages. As I've already got AUM successfully triggering the Midi Camera app via bluetooth, I just need to send an MMC message to Auria. I've got the conversion script working, however, I can't seem to get it to talk to Auria. My version of Auria only shows "Network Session 1" as an input, as shown in my screenshots. I've got it set to receive MMC and can see my start/stop messages in my midi monitor if I send it directly to the monitor from Streambyter. However the network session route doesn't return anything.

I've noticed that Network Session always seems to be a dead end. What's the deal with that?

• edited December 2020

What’s wrong with this routing? If I go straight from Streambyter to MidiScope, I see what I want in the monitor. But if I go into networksession then back out into Midiscope, nothing.

• @Sabicas said:
    What’s wrong with this routing? If I go straight from Streambyter to MidiScope, I see what I want in the monitor. But if I go into networksession then back out into Midiscope, nothing.

Network session requires that some host has been setup and that you've joined the session. AUM doesn't publish its MIDI port. So Auria can't listen to it. You may need to use Audiobus for this. I often have to use Audiobus as a go-between between AUM and apps that need a port to listen to.

• Wow. Triggering a remote camera has now ballooned from 2 apps to 5. Downloading Audiobus.....

• edited December 2020

@espiegel123 said:

@Sabicas said:

Network session requires that some host has been setup and that you've joined the session. AUM doesn't publish its MIDI port. So Auria can't listen to it. You may need to use Audiobus for this. I often have to use Audiobus as a go-between between AUM and apps that need a port to listen to.

Would you mind giving me a rundown on the Audiobus process you have in mind. I assume I need to route Streambyter to Audiobus in AUM? Then what? Do I even need AUM anymore?

I went to the midi tab, choose Streambyter as the source and Auria (all channels) as midi receiver. In Auria, I choose receive MMC from AB3. Nothing yet.

• wimwim
    edited December 2020

@sabicas - if I've read correctly, your camera app responds to notes, correct?

If so, then a very simple Mozaic script would do what you want, I think:

@Description
    Send a note out on host start and stop.
    Set the note number to send for "on" and "off" below (can be the same note)
    @End

@OnLoad
      channel = 0
      on = 36
      off = 38
    @End

@OnHostStart
      SendMIDINoteOn channel,on,127
    @End

@OnHostStop
      SendMidiNoteOn channel,off,127
    @End

All you would need to do is route the midi out from the script to your camera app, copy/paste the above into the "code" area and press "upload". If it works then save it as a script for later use. If not then it probably won't be hard to sort out. The nice part is the script should work in any host that can route midi out from AU plugins.

If you don't have Mozaic it's worth getting whether you're interested in scripting or not. There are a whole mess of fun and useful scripts available on patchstorage.com, and almost always someone willing to write a custom script if needed.

• edited December 2020

I’ve now got it set up completely in AB3. I get the sysex start command in midiscope, successfully. no response from Auria.