Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Should I get Korg Gadget now it's on sale?

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • What version are we at still Gadget 2? hopefully Gadget (Au)v3 is next!

The Korg sounds are good, it’s easy to find sounds that work together in a mix.
    The platform is stable, it just needs to open up some more audio editing, effects. Maybe a proper piano roll or onscreen keyboard.
    It’s expensive when you add up all the expansions, but if you grab stuff on sale, piecemeal at a time, it’s not so bad.
    It’s the app that made me buy an iPad in the first place, my first app love, can never let her go, haha.

• @Sandstorm said:
    Also is there audio recording for vocals, guitar or is it sample import rather than real time audio recording?

Yes, but only direct from an input device. You can't record audio output from another app. So, for instance, you can't record guitar through an external amp sim.

• @wim said:

@Sandstorm said:
    Also is there audio recording for vocals, guitar or is it sample import rather than real time audio recording?

Yes, but only direct from an input device. You can't record audio output from another app. So, for instance, you can't record guitar through an external amp sim.

Thanks for the tip.

• @CapnWillie said:
    I consider it one of the rare iOS essentials. There are so many options on iOS but everytime I open Gadget I ask myself if I really needed anything else. It’s dead simple. I would list GarageBand as it’s only competition in terms of ease of use and stability.

I agree. I think it's worth having for just about anyone at sale prices. Particularly if you own the other Korg synths that become Gadgets and can then be used with multiple instances in Gadget. I also appreciate the track freeze as I'm on older hardware.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited November 2020

@Sandstorm said:
    I'm still interested though as a lot of the patches in the module pro are stunning but come with basic adjustable parameters and it's always the ones that I don't want to change on certain patches. I wish there was way more control.

That's a real shame. So basically the same limited editing as Module Pro?

In fact, adjustable parameters of patches from Korg apps you own in the Korg Gadgets is even more limited than in native Korg apps. On the other hand you will get a 1) DAW, 2) the ability to use all the patches from the Korg apps you have inside Gadgets as others mention - which is already a good reason to buy Gadgets IMO and 3) a lot of additional patches you are interested in from 20 other free Gadgets included in Korg Gadgets (+ the possibility to buy new Gadgets (patches) in the application)

• I would immediately buy Gadget again. It's not the only good composition software but definitely the one I've done most songs with. Montpellier, Stockholm, Milpitas and Bilbao are my favorite add-ons.
    Second comes Drambo, third is Nanostudio 2.

It's clearly not a good choice though for people who prefer linear workflow over pattern based song arrangement.

• @CapnWillie said:
    I consider it one of the rare iOS essentials. There are so many options on iOS but everytime I open Gadget I ask myself if I really needed anything else. It’s dead simple. I would list GarageBand as it’s only competition in terms of ease of use and stability.

The wise Willy one knows...

• @BCKeys said:

@Sandstorm said:

@BCKeys said:

@Sandstorm said:

@BCKeys said:
    https://soundcloud.com/booh-yahh/antibodies

I'm not used to sharing what I do but this is a cover in progress, for a friend who gives guitar lessons and who will use it for a next concert with his students. Well, for the moment, confinement, no lessons and no concert in sight...
    In short, it's not mixed, not finished, needs a lot of adjustments and humanization for drums, well in the state of a model and the guitar part is disastrous (hey I’m not a real guitarist ! 😃)
    But the idea is here, just to show that we can make something else than ambient with Gadget 😉

And again, to me covering is really a good way to progress because it forces ear training to notes, sounds, mix, mastering etc love it !

Edit : the original is here https://youtu.be/F2t_jIhQLjE

I tried clicking on the soundcloud link and it says item is not there or been removed.

@Sandstorm said:

@BCKeys said:
    https://soundcloud.com/booh-yahh/antibodies

I'm not used to sharing what I do but this is a cover in progress, for a friend who gives guitar lessons and who will use it for a next concert with his students. Well, for the moment, confinement, no lessons and no concert in sight...
    In short, it's not mixed, not finished, needs a lot of adjustments and humanization for drums, well in the state of a model and the guitar part is disastrous (hey I’m not a real guitarist ! 😃)
    But the idea is here, just to show that we can make something else than ambient with Gadget 😉

And again, to me covering is really a good way to progress because it forces ear training to notes, sounds, mix, mastering etc love it !

Edit : the original is here https://youtu.be/F2t_jIhQLjE

I tried clicking on the soundcloud link and it says item is not there or been removed.

Oh sorry, it was my first try on SoundCloud, now it should be ok .. I hope 😋

That was really cool! I think your selling yourself short here. I really enjoyed your cover and the original.

Oh thank you so much @Sandstorm, it is much appreciated 😊

The trick is that I spend a lot more time playing with friends or working on my technique, so I use very basic mixing equipment (I use $10 headphones.. lol)

I have a friend who's a sound engineer and he's the one who takes care of mastering when I have more serious projects.

Buuut I plan to equip myself very soon in any case!

And yes, Poni Hoax is a great band, in the vein of Phoenix, Tahiti80, George Kaplan etc..

Was it the George Kaplan conspiracy you were talking about?

I just had a listen to their song Again, Really, really love the song so you have put me onto someone new to listen to!

• @dakti said:

@Sandstorm said:
    I'm still interested though as a lot of the patches in the module pro are stunning but come with basic adjustable parameters and it's always the ones that I don't want to change on certain patches. I wish there was way more control.

In fact, adjustable parameters of patches from Korg apps you own in the Korg Gadgets is even more limited than in native Korg apps. On the other hand you will get a 1) DAW, 2) the ability to use all the patches from the Korg apps you have inside Gadgets as others mention - which is already a good reason to buy Gadgets IMO and 3) a lot of additional patches you are interested in from 20 other free Gadgets included in Korg Gadgets (+ the possibility to buy new Gadgets (patches) in the application)

Thanks for the info. I think I'll bite the bullet and get it. There are too many pluses to not buy it especially with 50% off!

Just out of interest how would you compare it to Caustic 3? As I have been using this on my phone for years and seem to get a lot done with this. Would you say the workflow is similar?

• @Sandstorm said:

@dakti said:

@Sandstorm said:

Thanks for the info. I think I'll bite the bullet and get it. There are too many pluses to not buy it especially with 50% off!

Just out of interest how would you compare it to Caustic 3? As I have been using this on my phone for years and seem to get a lot done with this. Would you say the workflow is similar?

To some extent, yes. Also works quite well on an iPhone.

• @wim said:

@Sandstorm said:

Well you can with the right audio interface, NI audio6 for example. you could send an audio signal out through outputs 3 and 4 and record in with inputs 1+2. Or with internal routing using the iconnectaudio4+.

• @espiegel123 said:
    Btw, you can use Gadget as a synth rack and send midi to it from the sequencer of your choice.

I bought it today, and, one of the first thing I did was to download one of Xequense2 demo project (Beta) which I wanted to run ever since I bought Xequense2. Good partners, very cool indeed. :smile:

• @rs2000 said:
    I would immediately buy Gadget again. It's not the only good composition software but definitely the one I've done most songs with. Montpellier, Stockholm, Milpitas and Bilbao are my favorite add-ons.
    Second comes Drambo, third is Nanostudio 2.

It's clearly not a good choice though for people who prefer linear workflow over pattern based song arrangement.

what this guy said! id buy it if i didn’t have it

• I’ve downloaded the new IAP for Module. The Lofi house pack. First impressions are that it has some decent sounds but not on a par with the other packs. Be interested to see what others think

• I’ve been messing iOS music since the beginning and Gadget is the only thing that keeps bringing me back when I stop using it. If you get some of the good Gadgets (the classic synths) it’s the most fun and easy to get ideas going. It’s the best balance of feature to simple ratio to make the best of iOS, if they only made a AUV3 hosting gadget but Korg sounds are so good it’s not the worst.

If you want to get an idea going or just have a smooth fun workflow, Gadget is my vote for ...”it just works, gets things done, tool in iOS”

• @rs2000 said:

@Sandstorm said:

@dakti said:

@Sandstorm said:

To some extent, yes. Also works quite well on an iPhone.

Thats great news. I much prefer pattern based sequencing over linear. One reason I never bought a Roland workstation after I had my Fantom X.

• A few questions about Gadget, if I may:
    I currently have no Korg synths but am tempted by ODYSSEi, iMS-20, etc. How much do their Gadget equivalents cost, and how do the equivalents compare to the standalone synth apps?
    And is Gadget IAA/Audiobus?

Thanks

• @TimRussell said:
    A few questions about Gadget, if I may:
    I currently have no Korg synths but am tempted by ODYSSEi, iMS-20, etc. How much do their Gadget equivalents cost, and how do the equivalents compare to the standalone synth apps?

Thanks

I believe Gadget 2 is IAA and Audiobus compatible. I have Odyssei and iMS-20 which you can use inside gadget 2 and they are 50% off at the moment. I might be wrong but I think the only way to use these to apps inside Gadget 2 is to buy them straight from the app store and not inside Gadget but once you have them they will work inside Gadget 2.

• @TimRussell said:

Thanks

I would buy them as standalone which allows you to also use their Gadget equivalents. But the opposite isn’t true. The standalone Odyssei, for example, has a cool step sequencer not found in the Gadget version.

• edited November 2020

@TimRussell said:

Thanks

You can’t buy those synths in Gadget, they will unlock inside Gadget when you buy the standalone synth. iMS20 inside Gadget is the full thing minus the drums/sequencer stuff, ODYSSEi as well. Pretty sure all Korg standalone synths are fully represented in Gadget, with a smaller GUI though

• Thanks. I presume the standalone apps at least have IAA/Audiobus??

• @TimRussell said:
    Thanks. I presume the standalone apps at least have IAA/Audiobus??

Definitely IAA for sure.

• @TimRussell said:
    Thanks. I presume the standalone apps at least have IAA/Audiobus??

The standalone are IAA. You can find out a lot about them by searching the archives here.

• edited November 2020

Gadget might be the only app on iOS where I enjoy casually working on the arrangement of tracks. Something about the traditional horizontal DAW seems too arduous after being spoiled by Logic for years. But with Gadget you can sorta casually tap around and build out song structures in a more rapid fashion.

• edited November 2020

Just tried connecting(I use a Focusrite2i2) my guitar to Rosario in Gadget. Do not sound bad at all :smiley: I seriously did not know this and kinda glad I didn't because then I already would have bought it, at full price. Cool! I think the interface in Gadget is very weird, I'm a Reason man and have never used Ableton. Well, as usual it's learn learn learn (gymnastics for the brain I read somewhere :D :D )

• @Pxlhg said:
    I'm a Reason man and have never used Ableton. Well, as usual it's learn learn learn (gymnastics for the brain I read somewhere :D :D )

I hear this, and same lol. I used to fight and fight and fight with the sequencer, but when I finally just laid down and accepted it, everything became fine lol :)

• @iammane said:

@Pxlhg said:
    I'm a Reason man and have never used Ableton. Well, as usual it's learn learn learn (gymnastics for the brain I read somewhere :D :D )

I hear this, and same lol. I used to fight and fight and fight with the sequencer, but when I finally just laid down and accepted it, everything became fine lol :)

Thanks for those encouraging words :smiley: Yeah, maybe I should install Ableton Lite, I have got it from various buys (Focusrite, EG Pulse) but never get around to install. You think one understands Gadget better if one can embrace Ableton? Or maybe you just meant Gadget.