Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Show 'n Tell: Raspberry Pi BLE Midi Bridge Thingy

Comments

• @wim said:

@espiegel123 said:
    @wim: i don't recall. did you put a little microdisplay on yours? I didn't on mine but am now thinking it would be handy to see a list of what is connected

I did, but decided I didn't care for it on there. Instead I extended it with a little web server so I can check the connections without the clutter of the display. See the wiki article if you're interested in that option. Otherwise, I can scratch my memory a bit for how I had the OLED display configured if you need some help.

One reason I didn't keep the display is I don't think the example code included scrolling if there were more lines than could fit on the display (4 in my case). I would have had to find a way to do that. But the real reason was I didn't like the fragile nature of it with the display attached, and didn't have a way (then) to make a case.

Thanks!

• wimwim
    edited December 2020

@espiegel123 said:

@wim said:

@espiegel123 said:
    @wim: i don't recall. did you put a little microdisplay on yours? I didn't on mine but am now thinking it would be handy to see a list of what is connected

I did, but decided I didn't care for it on there. Instead I extended it with a little web server so I can check the connections without the clutter of the display. See the wiki article if you're interested in that option. Otherwise, I can scratch my memory a bit for how I had the OLED display configured if you need some help.

One reason I didn't keep the display is I don't think the example code included scrolling if there were more lines than could fit on the display (4 in my case). I would have had to find a way to do that. But the real reason was I didn't like the fragile nature of it with the display attached, and didn't have a way (then) to make a case.

Thanks!

You're welcome.

The web server option also has a handy "Reconnect Devices" function - handy in case something goes wonky with the connections.

I highly suggest making a backup image of the SD card before attempting either modification. I've only tested the wiki instructions on my own device, so there could well be problems, especially if your configuration is different in some critical way.

• @wim said:

@espiegel123 said:

@wim said:

@espiegel123 said:

Thanks!

You're welcome.

The web server option also has a handy "Reconnect Devices" function - handy in case something goes wonky with the connections.

I highly suggest making a backup image of the SD card before attempting either modification. I've only tested the wiki instructions on my own device, so there could well be problems, especially if your configuration is different in some critical way.

Thanks for the warning. My OS version is probably different. I had a slightly newer OS than they used for the Neuma instructions and few small but critical changes needed to be made to get it all to work. I sent them my notes about what needed to change -- and I am not sure if that info ever made it onto the side.

• I built mine with Raspberry Pi OS Lite (Buster) with all updates. The Neuma Studio instructions worked verbatim several times for me. Odd.

• @wim said:
    I built mine with Raspberry Pi OS Lite (Buster) with all updates. The Neuma Studio instructions worked verbatim several times for me. Odd.

Just checked. It looks like they did update the instructions with the info I provided. I think they were necessitated by some minor differences between Buster and the previous OS version. (The old instructions were for a prior OS version)

• If anyone cares, I am getting awful latency on Big Sur with M1 Mac Mini. Works fine on my iPads still. I haven’t checked a standard device like CME XKey yet. I haven’t also double checked on my 2012 Catalina Mac Mini either. I”m not sure what is going on, but wanted to notate the issue. Don’t get in a panic yet, there is only limited information.

• @DMan said:
    If anyone cares, I am getting awful latency on Big Sur with M1 Mac Mini. Works fine on my iPads still. I haven’t checked a standard device like CME XKey yet. I haven’t also double checked on my 2012 Catalina Mac Mini either. I”m not sure what is going on, but wanted to notate the issue. Don’t get in a panic yet, there is only limited information.

Do you have the same latency sending Bluetooth from your iPad or iPhone directly to the Mac with no raspberry pi involved?

• @espiegel123 said:

@DMan said:
    If anyone cares, I am getting awful latency on Big Sur with M1 Mac Mini. Works fine on my iPads still. I haven’t checked a standard device like CME XKey yet. I haven’t also double checked on my 2012 Catalina Mac Mini either. I”m not sure what is going on, but wanted to notate the issue. Don’t get in a panic yet, there is only limited information.

Do you have the same latency sending Bluetooth from your iPad or iPhone directly to the Mac with no raspberry pi involved?

Bluetooth from iPhone to M1 Mac is working fine no latency noticeable. I can’t stand playing keyboard on a phone screen, but it’s working fine. It’s just the Pi Bluetooth wasn’t working well with bad latency. No matter I mostly use it on my iPad anyway. Though to be fair, I can’t plug in this keyboard to the Mac as it really only works on Linux by USB.

• @wim I made one :) Thank you so much for setting it all out so clearly. I’ve installed the bluetooth midi bridge inside my home made Turnado controller, in place of a Yamaha UD-BT01 which I can now repurpose. Apart from a bit of a wait on startup it seems to be working just as well for a fraction of the cost.

When I first went to the wiki I was absolutely overwhelmed, but I bought a Pi Zero W on your advice and the easy instructions were for Pi 3B and 4B, so I stiffened my resolve and soldiered on...

I got badly stuck at the very beginning as I couldn’t get the Pi to connect over WiFi in Mac OSX Terminal. After a lot of head scratching I found the IP address of the Pi in my router settings page and, encouraged to see it there, tried ‘ssh [email protected]’ rather than ‘ssh [email protected]’ and then all was good in making the connection. Hitting that obstacle slowed me down enough to read around the task and realise going through the other steps was something I could attempt. I did, it worked and I’m delighted.

Thanks again, will start on number 2 soon.

• @steve99 said:
    @wim I made one :) Thank you so much for setting it all out so clearly. I’ve installed the bluetooth midi bridge inside my home made Turnado controller, in place of a Yamaha UD-BT01 which I can now repurpose. Apart from a bit of a wait on startup it seems to be working just as well for a fraction of the cost.

When I first went to the wiki I was absolutely overwhelmed, but I bought a Pi Zero W on your advice and the easy instructions were for Pi 3B and 4B, so I stiffened my resolve and soldiered on...

I got badly stuck at the very beginning as I couldn’t get the Pi to connect over WiFi in Mac OSX Terminal. After a lot of head scratching I found the IP address of the Pi in my router settings page and, encouraged to see it there, tried ‘ssh [email protected]’ rather than ‘ssh [email protected]’ and then all was good in making the connection. Hitting that obstacle slowed me down enough to read around the task and realise going through the other steps was something I could attempt. I did, it worked and I’m delighted.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll think about adding something in the wiki about finding the IP address if raspberry.local doesn't work. It's a tradeoff between trying to include everything and having an even more intimidating wiki article. Maybe I can just find a clear web page that describes ways to find the IP address and link to that.

The best and easiest way is to hook up a USB keyboard and HDMI monitor and not deal with ssh at all.

• @wim said:

@steve99 said:
    @wim I made one :) Thank you so much for setting it all out so clearly. I’ve installed the bluetooth midi bridge inside my home made Turnado controller, in place of a Yamaha UD-BT01 which I can now repurpose. Apart from a bit of a wait on startup it seems to be working just as well for a fraction of the cost.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll think about adding something in the wiki about finding the IP address if raspberry.local doesn't work. It's a tradeoff between trying to include everything and having an even more intimidating wiki article. Maybe I can just find a clear web page that describes ways to find the IP address and link to that.

The best and easiest way is to hook up a USB keyboard and HDMI monitor and not deal with ssh at all.

To find the address of my pi, I need to use a util (Zenmap which is front-end for the nmap Unix function) to scan my network. I can identify the Pi by this line which shows up in the scan in nmap (zenmap)

MAC Address: <> (Raspberry Pi Foundation)

• While you're here @wim, is the Rpi 2 viable to use as a usb midi host? Or would it be better to use a 4?

• @ashh said:
    While you're here @wim, is the Rpi 2 viable to use as a usb midi host? Or would it be better to use a 4?

For what its worth, the instructions that got @wim started say that they are for an Pi 3B or higher. Pi 3s have substantially better performance then Pi 2. Pi 2 doesn't have the built-in wifi that a Pi 3 or more recent has.

• heshes
    edited January 2021

@espiegel123 said:

@ashh said:
    While you're here @wim, is the Rpi 2 viable to use as a usb midi host? Or would it be better to use a 4?

For what its worth, the instructions that got @wim started say that they are for an Pi 3B or higher. Pi 3s have substantially better performance then Pi 2. Pi 2 doesn't have the built-in wifi that a Pi 3 or more recent has.

I wonder whether a Pi 2's slow performance and lack of wifi would make any difference when the device is acting just as a simple usb midi host. It's not like midi routing takes much processing power. Wim himself has done it with a Pi Zero (right?), which I'm pretty sure is much less capable than a Pi 2. Also, there are plenty of standalone usb midi host devices that I expect have very little cpu power and no wifi. So I expect any problem with Pi 2 would result more from configuration or possible limitations in Linux versions available for Pi 2, but if the Pi Zero can do it, I'd expect the Pi 2 can.

As with many things, though, these things are cheap enough that it's sometimes better to buy the standard item that you know can be made to work easily, than to spend time, effort, and face potential frustration in trying to get something else to work. Unless that second route sounds more fun, which it does to some people. . . .

• @hes said:

@espiegel123 said:

@ashh said:

I wonder whether a Pi 2's slow performance and lack of wifi would make any difference when the device is acting just as a simple usb midi host. It's not like midi routing takes much processing power. Wim himself has done it with a Pi Zero (right?), which I'm pretty sure is much less capable than a Pi 2. Also, there are plenty of standalone usb midi host devices that I expect have very little cpu power and no wifi. So I expect any problem with Pi 2 would result more from configuration or possible limitations in Linux versions available for Pi 2, but if the Pi Zero can do it, I'd expect the Pi 2 can.

As with many things, though, these things are cheap enough that it's sometimes better to buy the standard item that you know can be made to work easily, than to spend time, effort, and face potential frustration in trying to get something else to work. Unless that second route sounds more fun, which it does to some people. . . .

A couple of things: all my setting up of the Pi is done via wifi (remote shell). I have no idea if the instructions we followed apply to the version 2 pi.

• @espiegel123 said:

@hes said:

@espiegel123 said:

@ashh said:

A couple of things: all my setting up of the Pi is done via wifi (remote shell). I have no idea if the instructions we followed apply to the version 2 pi.

I don’t think the Pi 2 has Bluetooth, does it?

• heshes
    edited January 2021

@wim said:

@espiegel123 said:

@hes said:

@espiegel123 said:

@ashh said:

No, but maybe then you can have even more fun attaching a bluetooth dongle, just $3!: https://thepihut.com/products/nano-usb-to-bluetooth-dongle-v2-0

• @wim said:

@espiegel123 said:

@hes said:

@espiegel123 said:

@ashh said:

No, it doesn't. I (perhaps incorrectly) interpreted the post to mean could a pi 2 be used as a (wired) MIDI hub

• @hes said:
    No, but maybe then you can have even more fun attaching a bluetooth dongle, just $3!: https://thepihut.com/products/nano-usb-to-bluetooth-dongle-v2-0

That might mean some significant configuration changes though. I’m not sure.

• If I had a bluetooth dongle, I’d test it on my Pi 2 for you, but I only have a wifi dongle for that thing. If you don’t download the remade images and just run the code it might work out.

I set up mine with the Pi Zero W. I’ve been using it all the time and it works great with my setup. Plugging in the Pi Zero also charges my keyboard and it’s giving a lot more life out of my very first keyboard I got 20 years ago.

• https://github.com/urbanvanilla/midisynctools
    I wrote this menu script a while ago for this kind of thing.
    I got it to run on this thing: https://www.experimentalpi.com/PiBoy-DMG--Full-Kit_p_18.html with the joystick as a mouse.

• edited January 2021

@espiegel123 said:

@wim said:

@espiegel123 said:

@hes said:

@espiegel123 said:

@ashh said:

No, it doesn't. I (perhaps incorrectly) interpreted the post to mean could a pi 2 be used as a (wired) MIDI hub

Wired, yes.

@hes is right, I don't like having stuff that will do a job but buying another one because it's easier.

I could add a dongle for Wifi or BT, couldn't I? Also, will it extend the midi hosting via a USB hub?

• @urbanvanilla said:
    https://github.com/urbanvanilla/midisynctools
    I wrote this menu script a while ago for this kind of thing.
    I got it to run on this thing: https://www.experimentalpi.com/PiBoy-DMG--Full-Kit_p_18.html with the joystick as a mouse.

LOL!

Sorry if that was not the correct response.

• edited January 2021

• @ashh said:

@espiegel123 said:

@wim said:

@espiegel123 said:

@hes said:

@espiegel123 said:

@ashh said:

Wired, yes.

@hes is right, I don't like having stuff that will do a job but buying another one because it's easier.

I could add a dongle for Wifi or BT, couldn't I? Also, will it extend the midi hosting via a USB hub?

What do you mean “will it extend the midi hosting via a USB hub”?

• heshes
    edited January 2021

@ashh said:

@espiegel123 said:

@wim said:

@espiegel123 said:

@hes said:

@espiegel123 said:

@ashh said:

Wired, yes.

Yes, to the dongle for wifi and BT on a Pi2, but of course there could be configuration issues. And yes, even without wifi or bluetooth a RPi2 should work as a usb midi host for a connected usb hub. The RPi2 seems to have the same USB implementation as an RPi3, though RPi4 is different. This document indicates that an RPi3 and lower can have issues with devices on a USB 3.0 hub, so you would want to make sure you're using a USB 2.0 hub. https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/raspberrypi/usb/README.md

So theoretically you should be able to get things working as you want with a Pi2. Theoretically. . . .

• @wim do you know if the Pi Zero can act as USB host and USB device at the same time?

• @NoiseFloored said:
    @wim do you know if the Pi Zero can act as USB host and USB device at the same time?

From what I have read, a Pi Zero can (in some circumstances) be either a USB host or slave device but can’t be both at the same time. What are you trying to accomplish?

• edited January 2021

@espiegel123 said:

@NoiseFloored said:
    @wim do you know if the Pi Zero can act as USB host and USB device at the same time?

From what I have read, a Pi Zero can (in some circumstances) be either a USB host or slave device but can’t be both at the same time. What are you trying to accomplish?

Thanks! My immediate use case is filtering out MIDI clock messages coming from my controller, using the Pi Zero as an intermediary. I have experience with RPi3 and mididings for routing and filtering, but the host+device bit was the important aspect in this case.

• @NoiseFloored said:

@espiegel123 said:

@NoiseFloored said:

Thanks! My immediate use case is filtering out MIDI clock messages coming from my controller, using the Pi Zero as an intermediary. I have experience with RPi3 and mididings for routing and filtering, but the host+device bit was the important aspect in this case.

I am not sure that I understand how the Pi being a USB master or slave relates to this. MIDI master/slave for clock purposes isn't (as far as I know) tied to the USB host/device status.