Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

BeatMaker2 & Audiobus

Comments

• So what's the verdict regarding BM2 vs Auria vs Cubasis when it comes to efficiency and quality of Audiobus workflow at the moment? I only have Auria right now but I'm tempted by the MIDI stuff in the other two.

• I can record virtual midi from Animoog, but I can't record any virtual MIDI from PPG Wavemapper into BM2. Anyone here been able to do that ?

• @circuit I'm having exactly the same problem. PPG Wavemapper doesn't record midi to BM2

• I have successfully recorded WaveMapper into BM2.

• @mgmg4871 midi or audio?

• @mgmg can I ask what settings worked for you to record MIDI output from WaveMapper ?

• edited February 2013

I recorded into a midi and audio track in Cubasis. I think the settings in Cubasis are most important. In audio track I set input to Audiobus WaveMapper. In midi track I set to no instrument and PPG WaveMapper. Port is off in WM, omni, and midi channel 1.

• @mgmg4871 thanks for the info, but the problem is with BM2, not Cubasis!

• @Michael_R_Grant, It's all about your requirements and expectations, really. BM2 and Cubasis are similar in their functionality. I would say Cubasis gets the nod for UI, but BM2 winds out for stock sounds and flexibility. Until you go in and start playing in BM2 you won't really understand the full power of the sampler/chop feature. Its amazing. Also, you can find tons of other sample libraries for BM2 all over. Personally, I prefer BM2, but I think that might be just because I've lived with it for so long and its just very familiar. I hear a lot of complaints about the interface in BM2 v/s Cubasis, but for me, I don't notice that too much. Again, this is probably just because I've had BM2 for two years and Cubasis for less than a month. Auria, on the other hand, is a completely different beast from my perspective. It's a more robust DAW for live recording imo, and the effects are every bit as good as everyone says (as i'm sure you already know). I love Auria and if I had to only have one output in AB it would probably be Auria, just becuase of what I can get out of it in the end. The great thing is, I don't have to settle for just one. Depending on what I'm doing I'll switch between Auria and BM2. Maybe Cubasis will creep back in there after they update the nasty bug. Wow...I talk a lot.

• @boone51 The thing I'm worried about with BM2 is that whenever I see a video of its interface, it seems really convoluted to me. Like there are so many submenus and options just to do one thing. Have you found that?

• @SaveAs im not near my ipad now, but I'll check BM2 settings and post here later.

• @Michael_R_Grant, I haven't really found that, but like I said, it may just be that I'm familiar with it. There is definitely a learning curve to it. I like the midi editor in BM2 a lot better than Cubasis, though, for instance. While some of the interface is a little jumbled at times, I feel like the power of BM2 makes it worth the investment to learn. And just like anything else, once you learn it the interface goes away a little. That's always the goal anyway, right? If I had to complain about BM2 I would just say their file management leaves a lot to be desired. The process to export a track for copy/pasteis painful in that respect. However, now with AB support that sort of goes away a little.

• IanIan
    edited February 2013

@SaveAs @Circuit I can't get wavemapper to do anything with midi, in bm2, cubasis or even controlling. Unless I've cocked up, always a possibility

• Thanks Ian, I don't think it's you. I've tried every possible combination and virtual MIDI simply doesn't work out of wavemapper. I was strangely relieved when @SaveAs confirmed the problem - I was starting to think I'd lost my MIDI fu. For me it's not a major problem but it would be nice if Wolfgang can fix it. It's such an expressive instrument.

• I've dropped a line to Mr Palm. I'll let you know any reply

• edited February 2013

Okay guys, here's how to record midi from WM to BM2 . Open WM and BM2, Go to home screen add instrument, for instance keyboard Sampler. Choose empty preset on left bottom. Hit record button and record into empty track. I also have Beatmaker as chose of ports in WM settings. Settings, midi setup, and PPG WaveMapper as output in BM2.

• Thanks @mgmg4871, I've tried that a dozen times already, no joy. I wonder if this is an iOS version thing. What version of iOS are you running, and which iPad version ?

@Ian cheers, I was going to but you've saved me the work. Look forward to hearing his reponse.

• @mgmg4871 - re-reading your post, it looks like what you're doing is playing an empty keyboard sampler in BM2, and the MIDI output is going to WM, and recording in BM2. That's OK at my end too, no problems at all recording MIDI from BM2. It's playing the keyboard on WaveMapper and getting its MIDI to be recorded into BM2 that is what @SaveAs , @Ian and I can not do. The keyboard on WM is much more expressive than that of BM2. Of course I'm not sure how many of the control values (CC) from WM will get recorded by BM2. I've been reading other users elsewhere not being able to record any CC output from WM too.

• edited February 2013

@circuit You are right. That's exactly what I am doing. Sorry I misunderstood what you are trying to achieve. I am recording through a ipad 2. I guess to get the use of WMs keyboard you have to record audio, at least until this gets updated. I guess a workaround would be to record midi from WM into Cubasis and export.

• Just bought BM2 because of the audiobus integration. Anyone notice that if you receive a call whilst its playing the audio drops to half speed after the call is ended?

• edited February 2013

i really dig beatmaker 2 and jam up with the bus...but is there a way to use my synth staition 25 keyboard with ipad 2...my cam kit says not enough power and a power hub dosent do the trick...i really would like to use this keyboard since i have it on hand before i get something else.

• im gonna get the ios keyboard from ik....looks like it would be better

• I am a able to use mine with a Belkin Hi speed USB 2.07-Port Mobile Hub. I think I purchased it at Walmart for a few dollars.

• Lol. Thought I had forgot to click on post comment, just realized it was a different post.

• For people having trouble with recording the keyboard's MIDI from WaveMapper into BM2: did you set the "KEYS" parameter in the "SETUP" Module to "External" or "Both"?
    I do not own BM but MIDI definately gets send from WaveMapper to other apps (I tried Arctic Keys and others).

Regards, Boele

• IanIan
    edited February 2013

No, sorry. I can only get a sound with internal or both, and I'm not getting any midi out. Just tried Arctic Keys: nothing I'm afraid EDIT: I can get thumbjam and Animoog to work

• @SCD, yes I tried the "External" and "Both" keyboard settings in WaveMapper. I figure this is probably not a fault of BM2, but of WM failing to bind correctly to BM2's virtual MIDI port. I can record virtual MIDI output from Animoog into BM2 for example. WM isn't the first app to have problems with virtual MIDI though.

• edited February 2013

What happens if you stick MIDI Bridge between them?

If that doesn't work, if you have NLog, try using WM to drive NLog, turn down the Volume on NLog and turn on MIDI through. Use the MIDI output from NLog to drive BM2. That might work.

• Further update: due to my incompetence I have to backtrack on both arctic keys and cubasis. Set to "both" they work perfectly, even recording into cubasis. Use Bm2 though and the keyboard hangs with the output continuing using external or both. Internal is fine but doesn't put out midi. Haven't tried midibridge yet