Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Chord Bud 2 Out Now

Comments

• @echoopera said:
    Anyway to preview a Chord before adding it to the sequencer?

Nope no need for the previews, you can do your edits while the sequencer is running!

• xorxor
    edited September 2020

I was surprised when drag left overwrote rather than inserted between existing chords. Maybe drag down to delete (like Drambo)? Or a delete button on the double-tap panel?

• xorxor
    edited September 2020

Inversions don’t appear to be doing anything. F, F/A, F/C all generate the same notes. (AUM)

• xorxor
    edited September 2020

I can’t grab the right edge to change the length. (AUM) I was trying to grab the edge, rather than inside the box.

• edited September 2020

@cem_olcay said:

@echoopera said:

Nope no need for the previews, you can do your edits while the sequencer is running!

Sure that works but what if you want to audition via playing first? It’s a little bit of a buzz killer to wait for the note to play instead of hearing it immediately upon pressing it. I know if my MPCOne forced that workflow on me I’d chuck it across the room when I’m trying to get into a flow state.

Maybe I’ll get use to it. I mean i have only played with it for five minutes 🤪

Nice work btw.

• xorxor
    edited September 2020

@cem_olcay said:

@echoopera said:

How can you change the base chord? You enter a G but it doesn’t work so you want to change it to an Em? If you add the Em, it changes the sequence length so even if you drag the new chord over you have to adjust the length. Also when you do that the original chord is still underneath waiting to cause trouble if the new chord is ever moved again.

• Is iOS 14 > @xor said:

Inversions don’t appear to be doing anything. F, F/A, F/C all generate the same notes. (AUM)

I also didn't hear anything on the one or two chords I tried inversions on. Beta testers on this, y'all been sleeping yo @Poppadocrock 😂

• @xor said:

Yeah that wasn’t reported before lol
    The fix will be released in 24hrs :smiley:

• @xor said:

@cem_olcay said:

@echoopera said:

How can you change the base chord? You enter a G but it doesn’t work so you want to change it to an Em? If you add the Em, it changes the sequence length so even if you drag the new chord over you have to adjust the length. Also when you do that the original chord is still underneath waiting to cause trouble if the new chord is ever moved again.

You can change the behavior from the settings menu, select the “update” option for the chord input behavior when a chord is selected.

• @echoopera said:

@cem_olcay said:

@echoopera said:

Sure that works but what if you want to audition via playing first? It’s a little bit of a buzz killer to wait for the note to play instead of hearing it immediately upon pressing it. I know if my MPCOne forced that workflow on me I’d chuck it across the room when I’m trying to get into a flow state.

Maybe I’ll get use to it. I mean i have only played with it for five minutes 🤪

Nice work btw.

You can create a new pattern page and work on a single chord, for the preview 👍

• I would like this preview ability too actually, would be very useful

• @cem_olcay said:

@xor said:

@cem_olcay said:

@echoopera said:

You can change the behavior from the settings menu, select the “update” option for the chord input behavior when a chord is selected.

I found that but the behavior seems odd for a setting. Maybe selecting a new chord while pressing on the chord button could replace it? Or double-tap the chord to give it a kind of focus then select the new chord.

• This is wired. When I first opened the app dragging the right-most chord overlayed the chord under it and did not change the pattern length. After playing around a bit (and going into settings and changing it to overwrite/replaces mode) dragging the right-most chord is shortening the chord to the left and shortening the sequence. Stranger still is that I’m now in a situation where the end of the sequence is before the last chord and is glued to the left edge of the last chord. Also the left chord grows and shrinks fro the left rather than the right (even though I have to tap on the right side of the pad).

Here’s a quick video:

• Here’s another video illustrating the overlaying rather than shrinking while dragging. When I first saw this behavior it was while dragging the right-most chord not the second but I can’t reproduce that anymore even after uninstalling/reinstalling the app.

• Here’s how to repro the odd right-side chord pad, just make the chord a negative length. :smile:

• edited September 2020

I thought about previews to but then it’s just like a chord pad player not a Sequencer

• @xor thanks for the videos. I’ll do something about the negative length thing :smiley:

• I’d love to see the ability to add bass notes one and two octaves down, preferably each with option to send on a different midi channel.

• @wim said:
    I’d love to see the ability to add bass notes one and two octaves down, preferably each with option to send on a different midi channel.

That be cool. Like on the Mozaic chordulator script

• @wim said:
    I’d love to see the ability to add bass notes one and two octaves down, preferably each with option to send on a different midi channel.

I was thinking that too (and would still like it despite what I’m about to say) but then realized it’d never stop. Which note should be in the bass? Can I do an Eb/G where the chord is in the root position and a doubled-up G an octave-and-two down? Maybe the top note should be an octave up. Split the chord across two hands. It goes on and on.

• Curious if a beats-per-measure setting is on the to-do list?

• wimwim
    edited September 2020

@xor said:

@wim said:

I was thinking that too (and would still like it despite what I’m about to say) but then realized it’d never stop. Which note should be in the bass? Can I do an Eb/G where the chord is in the root position and a doubled-up G an octave-and-two down? Maybe the top note should be an octave up. Split the chord across two hands. It goes on and on.

I think a simple toggle to either use the root or the lowest note of the chord would suffice.

• edited September 2020

@Gavinski said:
    Getting problems with two things:

Long press to delete not working in AUM. I had the same prob in standalone, took two reinstalls to fix it there but still not working in AUM.

When I set up a chord sequence, it seems to keep missing out one or two steps in the sequence every few bars.

Anyone else?

Long press bug can usually be sorted by rotating the iPad to portrait then back to landscape (or portrait to landscape and back). However, the 'delete' pop-up that appears is then usually misplaced in relation to the chord in question. It's looking like an ios issue that should be resolved in ios 14.

• Any way to get other notes into a chord? Say a Bb under an F or “The Genesis Chord” tm Rick Beato. Or leave notes out so you could do runs of fifths?

• @cem_olcay

A ) How do i prolongue a chord amidst a sequence ? If a resize the length, the next chords either get overwritten. Do i really have to move away all the other chords manually one by one before prolonging a chord ?

B ) Same thing for shortening - do inhave to mannually move all the following chords to close the gap ?

C ) I want to pre-listen to chords, so please add an option to let the chord selection button behave like chord pads. In that way one could even check out combinations of chords. Playing the whole sequence over and over and always updating the last chord is super cumbersome and takes too long to be a good workflow. Having the chord select buttons optionally issue notes would also work without a running host.

D ) It should be possible to insert a chord a specifc place. Placing the current position marker before a chord currently overwrites the chord and doesn‘t insert. Insertion should either fill an available timing gap if shorter than a bar or insert a single bar. Currently always a bar is inserted in gaps, possibly overwriting or even deleting existing short chord-sequences.

E ) Rearranging the sequence by moving around chords should offer a ‚insert‘ mode that moves the exisiting chords, deletion should offer a mode that closes the gap.

F ) Update/Add/Insert/Delete mode changes or actions should be available as icons on the main interface (like the clear all that i first though would only clear the last entered chord) and not be hidden in the settings. Perhaps things can be combined (like moving the sequence on insert and delete, or not moving stuff around) like for editing video snippets in Lumafusion. Long-press and a menu (like already working in the standalone) also hinders the workflow if needed too many times.

• Big +1 @_ki these are definitely important additions in my view. This current workflow is not ideal though it is definitely a cool app in many respects

• lots of requests and ideas. I too would love to be able to audition the chords before adding them but for now I’ll just say, great work on the app. Its a great addition and step forward for iOS song creation!

• Another + 1 for preview.....thanks

• Why not just add a delete button on the menu? Currently I keep hitting clear assuming that will delete an individual chord (and then getting really mad as I lose all my work).

Also has anyone else experienced chords not being played periodically? I suppose it could be the synth I'm using (TAL).

• Also +1 for all the workflow stuff above. I currently find the workflow quite awkward and unintuitive, but most of those seem like fixable things.

I also find that if I'm changing a chord and the sequencer is playing, often the next chord (i.e. not the one I changed, but the next one on the timeline) won't change for some reason.

It's also a pain adding chords once your sequence gets longer than about 10 bars, as the timeline doesn't go far enough.

I'd love to be able to set voicings individually for each step. I realize that would make things more complex though.