Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Moodunits from Moodscaper [auv3] // Available Now!!!

18910111214»

Comments

• edited February 2021

@moodscaper : finally got Bzrgtar and Granalog to both download, and oh, my, :) they are good. Just had to whip up a little something with them straight away. Check it out if interested over here:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/43817/new-moodunits-bzrgtar-and-granalog-in-action-great-stuff/p1?new=1

• Many, many thanks guys. This support and encouragement really is very much appreciated, especially so when things go a bit wonky like they did with granalog dreaded dash issue!

BIG THANKS.

• Yep, "FREE" appeared instead of "-"

Then I could PURCHASE and DOWNLOAD.
    After some WAITING I needed to STOP and after trying to DOWNLOAD again, the content could actually be downloaded.

Happy again 🤗

• All better. Everything is gravy. Thank you @moodscaper

• edited February 2021

@moodscaper First of all thanks for making these samples. I like that they can just be dropped in to a project without having to mess around with adding effects, keep them coming :smile:

I’ve been trying to make an all-MU track in MTS (MultiTrackStudio) today and have noticed warbling/crackles when playing or mixing down tracks. I only have a couple of tracks with no FX on an Air 4 so it should not be a resource issue. It sounds like the sort of thing you would expect from a sample rate mismatch but the MTS project is set to 48k.

I have done some limited testing (just one track) and with the project set to 44.1k then I have not yet heard the crackles. edit: just added a second track and the crackles have returned at 44.1k. Seems to be related to the number of tracks, e.g two bzargtar crunch cause the problem but one does not.
    Edit: more testing on an IPad 7 (native 44.1k) shows that the problem is less pronounced when playing in the DAW but it does still occur in the mixdown.

For some reason it is the guitar samples, e.g. bzargtar crunch that I notice it the most. I don’t hear it on factory fx fifths reverb but that could just be coincidence.

It works OK in AUM so it could be an MTS bug but I did try a few different AU instruments to test with in the same slot and did not hear the crackling from those. If there is nothing obvious that you can think of that could be causing this then no problem as I have workarounds available but thought I should mention in case there was an easy fix.

Edit: further testing shows no crackles in NS2, AEM, Auria or GarageBand. I also tried without Bluetooth headphones and with wired headphones via USB-C adapter, I noticed a separate issue that mixdown in Auria rendered to plain sine waves and the same happened when merging MU tracks in GB, though a full GB mixdown seemed to work OK. NS2 mixdown worked fine also. There is something that MTS does not like that I have not been able to reproduce with other AUs but it is looking more like an MTS issue

Thanks.

• Really enjoying MoodUnits. Here’s a little piece i did in Drambo using 7 instances of this fine synth:
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/43838/drambo-mood-units-towards-a-beginning-and-end

• The new presets are epic. 12 instances of moodunits plus MUFX. Continuing my RDR2 score. Good work @moodscaper

• edited February 2021

Hi @MisplacedDevelopment - thanks for the detailed investigation and many thanks for letting me know.

Seems like all hosts handle offline rendering slightly differently. I think Cubasis was the one that had me scratching my head the most so far. Looks like I need to do more head scratching for some others too!

I'll keep you posted here. Cheers, -Rob

• @iOSTRAKON - impressive setup and very atmospheric! Nice job!

• @moodscaper Thanks for taking a look at this. The GB/Auria sine wave issue might be to do with the host switching sample rate as I noticed happening once or twice outside of rendering, the fix being to select a different patch and then go back to the one you were working on. If you manage to crack the problem in GB then I’m happy to test if the same fix works in Auria unless you were thinking of getting it anyway.

Something else I noticed in MTS is that it has a default brightness/cutoff of 64 which MU does not seem to respond to. I could not work out why exported MIDI sounded different in AEM vs MTS until I realised that MTS exports a controller track for the brightness 64 setting. AEM + MU obviously get along as it respected the setting but it made the track sound different to what I was hearing in MTS. Setting the brightness to 127 before exporting from MTS did the trick. I assumed this was an MTS bug but the bs16-i AU plugin also responds to brightness and that does seem to start off at the correct brightness rather than the max. Could it be that MTS is not sending the value to the plugin and bs16-i just defaults to 64 vs a default of 127 for MU?

• edited February 2021

@MisplacedDevelopment - thanks for the update. I'm looking at the GB issue now and I'm able to reproduce it. It's not sample rate related, it's down to the way GB does offline rendering, i.e. converting the AU output to an audio track, but not in realtime. Turns out that mix down (i.e. share) which works OK is done in a different way to merge, and that's basically the issue. You'd expect them to be pretty much the same, but, y'know... it's Apple, and there's no real accepted standard way of doing this... :neutral:

• @moodscaper That’s good to hear. From what I have read on here from different AU devs it does seem a bit of an undocumented nightmare to work with AUs. It seems each developer has to jump through these same hoops, tweaking this and that until everything works and then Apple release a new OS and things break again. It is a shame that a company the size of Apple does not have proper reference code for all of the different things an AU might need to do.

• edited February 2021

@MisplacedDevelopment - thanks for your understanding. As I have often said of this stuff, if it was easy, everyone would be doing it and sometimes I wish I wasn't doing it :smile:

Hopefully good news though - I'm 90% certain I've fixed the GB merge issue. Bit more testing to do, plus Sunday is usually my day off :smile:

I'll probably get the GB fix out ASAP as it's a bit of a howler. The MTS stuff will require a bit more digging...

• Thanks! AUM Session of 24+ tracks of moodunits coming soon.

@moodscaper said:
    @iOSTRAKON - impressive setup and very atmospheric! Nice job!

• edited February 2021

@MisplacedDevelopment - there's a 1.6.3 update available that hopefully fixes the track merging issues. As suspected, the MTS ones look a bit more interesting so will need more investigation.

@iOSTRAKON - 24+... yikes! I hope nothing breaks :smile:

• @moodscaper Thanks so much for looking at this on a Sunday and turning a fix around so quickly. I tested with GB and tracks now merge/render correctly. Auria still renders to the odd sine wavey sounds but I’m not sure if that was expected to be fixed with this update. After the render then the MU instances also end up in this state and the presets need to be reselected. If there is anything I can do to assist then do let me know,

• edited February 2021

Cool, thanks @MisplacedDevelopment. One down, um... more to go. So yep, I wanted to get the GB fix out ASAP as I know a lot of folks who have moodunits use it in GB. I may have a fix for Auria, but need to test properly tomorrow / Monday. Are you Auria Pro or the standard version? Hopefully, they behave in the same way. Thanks again, hopefully I'll have something to offer as a small token of my appreciation before too long :wink:

• @moodscaper I’m on the Pro version here.

• edited March 2021

@MisplacedDevelopment said: @moodscaper I’m on the Pro version here.

Looks like you can't do much MIDI (any?) stuff unless you're on Pro anyway, so I upgraded.

I think I've fixed the Auria mix down issue this morning and confirm that it does this stuff ever so slightly different to all the other DAWs I've looked at so far... :confused:

Also importing the mix down as a new track now seems to work OK.

As an aside, pretty much every time I run Auria, I get a dialog telling me "a crash occurred the last time Auria ran" :neutral:

Update: 1.6.4 update with this fix now available.

• edited March 2021

@moodscaper Auria now renders correctly with my test, thanks again for the fast turnaround on these.

I also see those Auria errors even when I didn’t think there had been a crash.

• XL version on the way.