Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Dystopia Distortion AU for iOS by Anthony Di Furia - WINNERS ANNOUNCED!

2»

Comments

• @despego said:

@royor said:
    @Gavinski Whoa.. man.. It’s gonna take some great sounding demo to get me past that GUI.. if anyone can accomplish that.. right now my eyes are saying no.. I’ll check out your vid later tonight + then listen to what my ears have to say.. 😆

I have the dev’s other apps. Great sounding and different but that GUI... man! This is one I’m going to pass.

This is kind of rare isn’t it? Sound should trump everything else - BUT - in this case, my eyes just can’t take it.. I mean, if you’re going to be constantly tweaking to find a sound, there’s no way I could stand looking at this for more than a few seconds.. watching this demo, I literally could not read some of the text.. and it seemed like the longer I stared at it, the worse it got.. who knows.. maybe my eyes are super sensitive to this red/black colour scheme.. at this moment, I’m also passing on this one..

• Haha. Well tell the dev! He needs to know that this matters to people.

• @Gavinski Good point.. it obviously may be preventing a few people from picking it up.. I’ll find a contact and zip off a note..

• @royor said:
    @Gavinski Good point.. it obviously may be preventing a few people from picking it up.. I’ll find a contact and zip off a note..

Thhat is something that puts me down about Anthony's apps. He uses these colors that make me hard to use his apps, if at least he would let us change it. They sound great but it is painful to the eyes to see where one is going

• @royor said:

@despego said:

@royor said:
    @Gavinski Whoa.. man.. It’s gonna take some great sounding demo to get me past that GUI.. if anyone can accomplish that.. right now my eyes are saying no.. I’ll check out your vid later tonight + then listen to what my ears have to say.. 😆

I have the dev’s other apps. Great sounding and different but that GUI... man! This is one I’m going to pass.

This is kind of rare isn’t it? Sound should trump everything else - BUT - in this case, my eyes just can’t take it.. I mean, if you’re going to be constantly tweaking to find a sound, there’s no way I could stand looking at this for more than a few seconds.. watching this demo, I literally could not read some of the text.. and it seemed like the longer I stared at it, the worse it got.. who knows.. maybe my eyes are super sensitive to this red/black colour scheme.. at this moment, I’m also passing on this one..

I had a similar issue with Spectrum Bundle - not as serious though - I really don't like the design but the bundle just sound gorgeous and the dev made a great effort explaining why he wouldn't charge for it. Now, that is just aesthetics. In the case of Anthony's is more than that: as you say, that color combination just hurt my eyes, then is the big knobs and the scrolling. I fell for the delays and for the esoteric synth but distortion is not my thing so I can resist this.

I would tell, @Gavinski but for my part I'm afraid of being just me. He might read this thread - maybe - so he can act as he pleases.

And then I can lie to myself and believe my GAS is not that serious after all!!

• FWIW, I sent Anthony a quick note..

• Nice one! Now you're hoping he's not as scary as his GUI, 👻

• edited July 2020

Wow.. he already responded.. that’s crazy good.. respect..👍

Edit: I think anyone else with GUI issues should contact him and let him know exactly what you’d wish to see as an alternative..

• @royor said:

Edit: I think anyone else with GUI issues should contact him and let him know exactly what you’d wish to see as an alternative..

Don't keep us in suspense @royor What did he say?

• edited July 2020

@Jocphone said:

@royor said:

Don't keep us in suspense @royor What did he say?

I guess in summary, he’s thinking about an alternative and would like to hear opinions on how the graphics should be.. get in touch..

Edit: It is supposed to have 90’s style game graphics.. that was the intention..

• Would be very interested to hear people's ideas about what would be the ideal interface for this app. It needs to preserve the infinite scalable knobs in some way.

• To me is not about the knobs is about the colors and contrast

• Dug into the main plugin a bit more last night and figured it out a lot more.

Pretty sweet distortion playground. There is a lot to take in at first and I don't think it helps that the default has settings all over the place that you may not realise is affecting your sound until you go over all the settings and null them out.

Am working on an init patch with everything turned off so that I can try one thing at a time to get a better undertanding of what is what.

The matrix makes a bit more sense now. Although you can ignore that at first and just use the master outs at the bottom to mix the different distortion types together. Then later experiment with the matrix options of passing one effect through another.

If anyone is on the fence about the UI, you do get a hang of it after a couple of hours. It is definitely worth the effort for the wide range of sounds to be coaxed out of it.

• Thnx for the report. Definitely more for me to explore here too.

• The Random Number generator has spoken and the lucky winners are:

Shine zacharias
    Paul Kopco
    Piotr Talalay

Congrats! 🎉 🎉 🎉

• Email sent as well. Goddamn it Jim, I’m a musician, not an art critic.

• @Prog1967 said:
    To me is not about the knobs is about the colors and contrast

Yea. Clean, clear, good contrast in colors.

• @Philandering_Bastard said:
    Email sent as well. Goddamn it Jim, I’m a musician, not an art critic.

😆🤣😂 So true.. I mean I can respect the vision behind creating an app BUT this is definitely on the extreme side.. I don’t even know if a somewhat simple change to white text instead of red would do it.. I think it needs quite a bit more than that.. 🤷‍♂️ Good on you for sending that email..

• @royor said:

@Philandering_Bastard said:
    Email sent as well. Goddamn it Jim, I’m a musician, not an art critic.

😆🤣😂 So true.. I mean I can respect the vision behind creating an app BUT this is definitely on the extreme side.. I don’t even know if a somewhat simple change to white text instead of red would do it.. I think it needs quite a bit more than that.. 🤷‍♂️ Good on you for sending that email..

Anthony has already replied with a very friendly mail. He’s currently busy but thinks he’ll change the graphics by September at the latest. He’s asking for advice. I’m with @Poppadocrock: clean, clear, better contrast. I was thinking about giving also some examples. Apesoft apps are complex yet well designed, same with Toneboosters for effects apps.

Any other ideas?

• I thought the colours used by FAC in their plugins are really clear and usable, the knobs are actually quite similar I think...

• @Krupa said:
    I thought the colours used by FAC in their plugins are really clear and usable, the knobs are actually quite similar I think...

I knew there was a reason I like you. FAC is the perfect example.

• @Philandering_Bastard said:

@Krupa said:
    I thought the colours used by FAC in their plugins are really clear and usable, the knobs are actually quite similar I think...

I knew there was a reason I like you. FAC is the perfect example.

o:)

• Magic Death Eye stereo!!

You guys do realise that it's likely months and months if not longer of hard work for someone to learn to code a beautiful interface like the FAC ones? 😅 There's a reason why so many apps have crappy looking interfaces. You also realise that the few people who actually love this current Dystopia interface are gonna be out for your blood when it gets changed from blood-drenched gothic madness to something tasteful with mainstream appeal? 😂😂

• I don’t mind the goth or the blood 🩸 really. I’m not really all that bothered by the overall GUI of any of his apps.

It’s basically the typeface he’s using. If the text was better, the rest of it would be plenty tolerable. I don’t think he really needs to waste time coding a new GUI, just a better looking typeface and it’d be fine.

• @Gavinski said:
    Magic Death Eye stereo!!

You guys do realise that it's likely months and months if not longer of hard work for someone to learn to code a beautiful interface like the FAC ones? 😅 There's a reason why so many apps have crappy looking interfaces. You also realise that the few people who actually love this current Dystopia interface are gonna be out for your blood when it gets changed from blood-drenched gothic madness to something tasteful with mainstream appeal? 😂😂

This is nonsense Gav. The developer said that he was going for a 90s-style video game aesthetic. Duke Nukem probably. That’s fine but doesn’t work in this context.

All that is necessary right now is to change some bitmaps. Not nothing, of course, but doable. And it will make the app much more appealing to the other weirdo who was too drunk to already get this Distortopalooza.

• @Gavinski said:
    @Philandering_Bastard fair 'nuff 😉

Other than that, all hail the Gav🎉