Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Dystopia Distortion AU for iOS by Anthony Di Furia - WINNERS ANNOUNCED!

Dystopia Distortion AU for iOS by Anthony Di Furia - video walkthrough.

A - VERY! - experimental distortion for iOS by Anthony Di Furia, featuring an interesting ‘waterfall matrix’ allowing multiple routing possibilities between various types of distortion. One for the experimentalists. We hear it here on drums, bass and pads.

https://apps.apple.com/cn/app/dystopia/id1524937873?l=en

Comments

• @Krupa You got your wish! Wasn’t sure about this one, but with some more tinkering and once Anthony had set me right about how to tweak the knobs, it is definitely growing on me and capable of some cool sounds.

• Just when I thought I was safe from this one :D

• Haha, I like the matrix on the drums and I LOVE what the FM one does to that bass.

• Anthony gave me one spare code. First person to comment here gets it!

• You might have to wait a few hours if u don't comment immediately as I'm about to sleep 😂

• PMed you, you jammy bugger, 😂, well done.

• Ha, I looked up from Saturn dabbling for a second 🤣

Thought brevity was probably the best policy in the circumstance...

• @Gavinski Whoa.. man.. It’s gonna take some great sounding demo to get me past that GUI.. if anyone can accomplish that.. right now my eyes are saying no.. I’ll check out your vid later tonight + then listen to what my ears have to say.. 😆

• Chaos awaits

• @royor said:
    @Gavinski Whoa.. man.. It’s gonna take some great sounding demo to get me past that GUI.. if anyone can accomplish that.. right now my eyes are saying no.. I’ll check out your vid later tonight + then listen to what my ears have to say.. 😆

GUI is moot when the sound is good.

• @Gavinski I appreciate your dry approach to app demo/tutorial/reviews. I hope you keep it dry going forward, it's strightforward and to the point, no junk.

• @Gavinski this app wasn’t doing it for me at first but after watching just part of your video it clicked. Thanks! 😎👍🏼

• @Krupa said:
    Ha, I looked up from Saturn dabbling for a second 🤣

Thought brevity was probably the best policy in the circumstance...

I guessed this. In fact you were taking quite a risk stretching the message to 3 characters 😂

• @Bill_Brasky said:
    @Gavinski I appreciate your dry approach to app demo/tutorial/reviews. I hope you keep it dry going forward, it's strightforward and to the point, no junk.

Thanks Bill! That's my aim.

• @anickt said:
    @Gavinski this app wasn’t doing it for me at first but after watching just part of your video it clicked. Thanks! 😎👍🏼

Cheers Anickt. It wasn't doing it for me either until shortly before I made the video. A few things about it I just couldn't get into, but eventually understanding the power of the matrix, and what the arrows above the knobs do (I actually thought they were a weird aesthetic addition to the GUI), as well, as the sound potential of things like the FM modulation, made me decide to go for it.

• @royor said:
    @Gavinski Whoa.. man.. It’s gonna take some great sounding demo to get me past that GUI.. if anyone can accomplish that.. right now my eyes are saying no.. I’ll check out your vid later tonight + then listen to what my ears have to say.. 😆

Yeah, I guess it's just going to have to be one of those - excuse the phrase - 'you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire' moments 😅😂😏.

• @Gavinski :D HaHaHa!! Don't think I've ever heard that phrase until this moment.. too funny..

• Not a great analogy in this case, as you don't get far with a touch screen by fumbling around with the lights off, but you get the gist. 😂

• FM seems like the Ace in the pack here, love the fine control dial in you seem able to do with it. I’m a big fan of his very idiosyncratic apps, may have to check this one out too.

• The FM is the thing that should seal the deal for anyone on the fence, I think, yes!

• You can hear that from around the 6.50 minute mark in the tutorial.

• I didn't really pick up much from the video, sorry @Gavinski

But I bought it anyway.

Love a good distortion AD Grind appears on most things of my making.

So far I haven't found much to like with this plugin. The knobs are really fustratingly slow or too fast or sometimes nothing.

And the sound.. Nothing special so far. Maybe I need to spend more time with it.

• No worries, but from your comment on the knobs I wonder if you weren't paying full attention 😉. Because the video specifically explains that you need to use the arrows above the knobs to control how fast or slow the knobs spin. Give it a try, and maybe watching the video again will help. The more right presses you get, the faster / coarser the knob movements become. The more left presses you make, the slower the movements. There were too many modules in this to go through every knob etc in detail. And same with the sound. Not every module will sound good with every type of input. I also need to experiment more to find what works with what. That's the nature of an experimental plugin, which it claims explicitly to be. There's nothing else exactly like it out there, everyone needs to spend a bit of time with it before they'll get something from it. Thanks for watching anyway. 👍

• @Gavinski said:
    No worries, but from your comment on the knobs I wonder if you weren't paying full attention 😉. Because the video specifically explains that you need to use the arrows above the knobs to control how fast or slow the knobs spin. Give it a try, and maybe watching the video again will help. The more right presses you get, the faster / coarser the knob movements become. The more left presses you make, the slower the movements. There were too many modules in this to go through every knob etc in detail. And same with the sound. Not every module will sound good with every type of input. I also need to experiment more to find what works with what. That's the nature of an experimental plugin, which it claims explicitly to be. There's nothing else exactly like it out there, everyone needs to spend a bit of time with it before they'll get something from it. Thanks for watching anyway. 👍

No I got the point about the knobs but didn't feel that it worked very well and maybe wasn't consistent amongst all the knobs. Although the colour scheme is a matter of taste I do think that the overall layout could do with a bit better organisation and I don't really see the point of having that matrix collection version either, when you can stack them yourself in a host and in the order you choose.

Also there seems to be a mix issue in that for any of the plugins you can turn input up full and effect down to nothing but the output is stll really effected. Nothing that can't be worked around but it does feel a little odd.

If you are taking feedback on the video I though it may have been better to demo the types of distortion with some more sustained and harmonically richer sounds. That monotonous drum beat didn't really help in hearing what the distortion was capable of.

Maybe this plugin will get to sit alongside Grind and Saturn 2 but I need to find some sweet spots where I think it adds something unique to the mix. 4pockets NuRack has some new distortions and I heard @giku_beepstreet mention an upcoming distorion module so interesting times ahead.

• @royor said:

I have the dev’s other apps. Great sounding and different but that GUI... man! This is one I’m going to pass.

• @Jocphone fair point about the drums perhaps, thanks for the feedback. I'm not experienced in using distortion on drums, the bass and mononoke provided richer sustained sounds for that though.

The matrix I think definitely makes it easier to route things. I did a very straightforward routing there, but if you were routing several modules into selected other modules, setting that routing up in AUM, then having to diamantle it every time you wanted to try new routing would be a major pain in the cahones. So I can't agree with you on that point.

I also noticed some weird behaviour of ins and outs. I'll investigate that further. If you do figure out there is a specific problem, tell the dev for sure, as will I. 🙏

• @despego said:

@royor said:

I have the dev’s other apps. Great sounding and different but that GUI... man! This is one I’m going to pass.

Yeah, the GUI is brutal, most would agree. Some ppl like it though, as u can see if u peruse the comments section.

• @Gavinski said:
    @Jocphone fair point about the drums perhaps, thanks for the feedback. I'm not experienced in using distortion on drums, the bass and mononoke provided richer sustained sounds for that though.

The matrix I think definitely makes it easier to route things. I did a very straightforward routing there, but if you were routing several modules into selected other modules, setting that routing up in AUM, then having to diamantle it every time you wanted to try new routing would be a major pain in the cahones. So I can't agree with you on that point.

I'm not sure that I would need all the different plugins feeding into each other just yet but I get your point. My own workflow would be more along the lines of pick between one and three of them in series for each effect bus or indivdual instrument. That may change and I realise that other people will be using this differently and will gel with this matrix approach. The fact that we can use each plugin separately enables us to have that choice. SO all good.

I also noticed some weird behaviour of ins and outs. I'll investigate that further. If you do figure out there is a specific problem, tell the dev for sure, as will I. 🙏

This may have been post-install weirdness. Have restarted the iPad now and it behaves much better.

Overall I think I am coming round to this plugin. I spent some time with putting some simple sounds through DyStort and played with the distortion type, amount(?) and overall effect mix and was able to get much more interesting sounds out of it.

If the other plugins are as deep then this should be an exciting bunch of effects. Shame the overall presentation doesn't do it justice.

• This is probably bringing owls to Athens but the developer has extensive tutorial series for his other apps, Dystopia will surely follow as well:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFI-8Cqp5fxcpFbm4eJbaJA/videos?view=0&sort=da&flow=grid