Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Elliot Garage’s new app is called “sEGments”

Comments

• @MonzoPro fix for this is coming. I’m just waiting some users feedback and then I’ll submit the update with this and other little fixes

• @ElliottGarage said:
    @MonzoPro fix for this is coming. I’m just waiting some users feedback and then I’ll submit the update with this and other little fixes

Great, thanks.

• @ElliottGarage said:
    @rs2000 you need to add to the CPU load equation also the polyphony (you need a timestretch instance for each individual voice) and the limited resources available for an AudioUnit

Just for fun, I did a 3-voice polyphonic timestretching slicer in Drambo hosted inside AUM this morning, and I only have an iPad 6 from 2018. Pitch one octave up and one octave down with constant slice playback length.
    With 256 samples buffer size in AUM, CPU load remained under 30% while the stretching quality is surprisingly good. So I would say it's definitely possible if you choose good and efficient time stretching algorithms.

• @rs2000 my past attempts with polyphonic timestretch were a failure (but I have more about 10 polyphony voices). I tried pretty much all the algorithms out there but they were pretty heavy or too expensive for the price tag of the app (that's one of the problem of iOS environment). Anyway I'm collecting user requests then I'll decide what's to be added or not.

• First update with many fixes submitted

• fixed waveform disappearing
    • fixed note cutoff with gate triggering mode
    • fixed MIDI app name in standalone app
    • fixed Aiff Apple loops automatically import of markers (also via Airdrop)
    • fixed import of files with emoji or emoticon in filename
    • fixed open in from other apps (AudioShare)
    • multi output mixer bus configuration will not be reset after a preset change
  • edited June 2020

@ElliottGarage said:
    First update with many fixes submitted

• fixed waveform disappearing
    • fixed note cutoff with gate triggering mode
    • fixed MIDI app name in standalone app
    • fixed Aiff Apple loops automatically import of markers (also via Airdrop)
    • fixed import of files with emoji or emoticon in filename
    • fixed open in from other apps (AudioShare)
    • multi output mixer bus configuration will not be reset after a preset change

I’m getting the resizing issue most of the time, and now the keyboard seems to have disappeared.

Back with a reboot, but this is exceptionally buggy on my Air 2.

• @MonzoPro can you please write me to [email protected] what issues are you encountering and some details to recreate the keyboard missing?
    About resizing, that's the normal behaviour, since the app is designed to scale only vertically and it needs full horizontal scale to show all its buttons.

• @ElliottGarage said:
    @MonzoPro can you please write me to [email protected] what issues are you encountering and some details to recreate the keyboard missing?
    About resizing, that's the normal behaviour, since the app is designed to scale only vertically and it needs full horizontal scale to show all its buttons.

It’s cutting off the pads and wave display on the far right - even when I resize the window. But anyway, the whole point of an AU is that the windows can be scaled and moved around.

I’m not really sure what more I can tell you. I load a few instances, move things around, and the resizing issue happens. On opening a previously saved project in AUM the samples had vanished. And just now when I clicked the keyboard icon after recording a sample, there was no keyboard there. I’ve made screenshots and shared them here.

Come on, I’m not a beta tester, I’m a customer and I’ve paid for this, I don’t want to spend the next few days bug testing. I’ve been giving good feedback, but now I’m getting miffed because tonight was supposed to be about making music, not doing this.

• edited June 2020

I’ve had the chromatic keyboard not display the lowest C and D keys last night but I’m not sure what caused it. Going up on octaves foxes it and it has t happened since. It got a bit sluggish with three instances on an Air 1 as well but Air 1 is old as fuck so I’m sure it’s just the device causing that

• @MonzoPro the waveform disappearing has been fixed and already submitted...just a little patience and I'm trying to make everyone happy.

About resizing AU window, each host behaves differently unfortunately due to lack of Apple documentation. GarageBand, Cubasis, NS2, BeatMaker,nTrack only change the AU window height...only AUM (among the big) allow to freely change window width. EG Pulse was scaling horizontally and people complain about it, sEGments scale only vertically and people complain about it...ahhh help me! :D
    BTW Waveform and pads are not cut off on the far right here on my iPad Air 2, the only thing happening is some buttons hiding...

• Thanks for the quick fixes :) yeah keyboard disappearing here sometimes too, reloading the app fixes it.

• Hey @ElliottGarage I’m having various issues on iPad 2016 with newest iOS, all as AUv3 unit in AUM. Not just the interface sizing ( I can not get the slider bar that adjusts individual pad elements to display correctly no matter what I do. I actually have not been able to view the entire interface of segments as an AUv3 in AUM, at all, on several tries and after a restart, No matter how much resizing I do. Maybe something like 10-15% of the right side of the interface is cut off.) I’m also having trouble with correct key and tempo. I’ve imported several samples that were key and tempo labeled. Sometimes it recognized a different tempo, and sometimes Segments recognized a different key then the sample was labeled. The samples were free but from a reliable source. As much as I’m loving this app and what I know it’s capable of, this issues are making it very hard to work with.

Non issue but app request, if you hold down a pad, then hit another pad, then second pad plays but when you lift finger off Second pad the original pad no longer plays. It would be awesome if you still hold down pad 1 it would trigger again after letting go of the second pad. Abu Dhabi in Gadget does this when slices are looped.

• Take your time @ElliottGarage Just wanted to bring this to your attention. It’s an amazing app though. Congratulations on creating something amazing and the release.

• @Poppadocrock +1 to that last idea, that would be great

• edited June 2020

@ElliottGarage said:
    @MonzoPro the waveform disappearing has been fixed and already submitted...just a little patience and I'm trying to make everyone happy.

About resizing AU window, each host behaves differently unfortunately due to lack of Apple documentation. GarageBand, Cubasis, NS2, BeatMaker,nTrack only change the AU window height...only AUM (among the big) allow to freely change window width. EG Pulse was scaling horizontally and people complain about it, sEGments scale only vertically and people complain about it...ahhh help me! :D
    BTW Waveform and pads are not cut off on the far right here on my iPad Air 2, the only thing happening is some buttons hiding...

Glad to hear there’s a fix, but it’s not just about making me happy (though that’s a nice side-effect) - in its current state the app is unusable for me as it cuts off the pads, buttons, and the waveform (see below). I just want to be able to use it, and a big chunk of the thing is missing.

I posted yesterday about the different layout methods you might be using. The keyboard and pads/keys seem to be working on a percentage, so they resize, but the menu bars seem to have a fixed width, with elements sliding over one another. Just wondered whether this is causing a glitch, and whether it’d be better if the menus scaled as well?

• Setting slice one to thru and the rest to shot works in standalone but I have problems in Nanostudio 2. the playhead Runs „thru“ but the sounds dies after the playhead transitions to the next slice 🤔 am i overseeing something here

• the update with bunch of fixes is already up here. thanks Andrea! fast as hell.

ppls -pls give the man time!
    for the fixes! he is damn fast and responsive but it needs time...

• @waka_x said:
    the update with bunch of fixes is already up here. thanks Andrea! fast as hell.

No-one’s hurrying things up boss, just reporting bugs here.

• @MonzoPro said:

@waka_x said:

All cool. As you read I was in the first place thinking that I may have overseen something in the workflow here. Didn’t found anything in the RTFM though. Andrea is an amazing dev and I am a big fanboy.

BTW, sEGments is the missing Audiotrack in Nanostudio haha

• @waka_x said:

Thanks for heads up. That was a quick one. Before the weekend even ended.

• @david_2017 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@waka_x said:

All cool. As you read I was in the first place thinking that I may have overseen something in the workflow here. Didn’t found anything in the RTFM though. Andrea is an amazing dev and I am a big fanboy.

Yep, ll cool, I'm a fan of Pulse too.

The update seems to have fixed the resizing/cutoff issue for me. The menu still slides over and obscures some of the buttons, but I can live with that.

• Hmm, still not “open in” from audioshare to sEGments after the update and reset of the iPad. sEGments doesn’t show up in the list of available apps. (Ipad Pro 12.9” 2nd gen. - iPadOS 13.5.1)
    A request: Option to have folders in the preset list, so you can categorize.
    Another request: Option to trim a recorded sample.

I’m already very satisfied with the current state of the app. A good alternative for Serato Sample on PC.

• @david_2017 said:

No, not even close.

• @Turntablist said:

@david_2017 said:

No, not even close.

You can launch clips and loops. A start at least

• @ElliottGarage Would you consider an option to record in via FX quantized to host? For my workflow, would be a killer feature. I suspect others would concur.

• @david_2017 said:
    Setting slice one to thru and the rest to shot works in standalone but I have problems in Nanostudio 2. the playhead Runs „thru“ but the sounds dies after the playhead transitions to the next slice 🤔 am i overseeing something here

yes I'm trying to recreate that, I've seen that a quick workaround is to move one marker a little so that markes refresh their settings

• @MonzoPro glad that the cutoff issue has been solved
    @lukesleepwalker what's a typical workflow to record quantized to host? how to sync?

• I really like being able to export the slices into Pulse, it feels like I have a little auv3 beatmaker I can use within aum. Maybe you should just make your own Beatmaker type DAW since you actually support your apps and they run a lot more smoothly lol

• thanks @Fingolfinzzz who knows...maybe one day! For the moment I wanna enjoy the Pulse+sEGments combo :)