Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Hypnopad’s iPad only studio project

Comments

• @hypnopad said:
    @aleyas Yes.
    Here’s a short little proof of concept
    demo.

That's really coming together and looks like it will provide infinite possibilities for new
    patterns, textures and sound designs. This is a good time for IOS music makers in general and for creative use of controllers for live performing/creating.

• @McD said:
    That's really coming together and looks like it will provide infinite possibilities for new
    patterns, textures and sound designs. This is a good time for IOS music makers in general and for creative use of controllers for live performing/creating.

Yeah. I’m very happy with the progress that’s been made. In this use case I’m not sure it will ever get to the level it is on the laptop but it sure will get close enough for me. At this point I wouldn’t bet against that happening though.
    Looking back at my days of using a half meg Atari computer and a rack of expensive sound modules, these days are a virtual electronic music paradise.

• Decided to work on incorporating my Touche’ controller into my set up manipulating several parameters in my Drambo patch. Drambo doesn’t have built in controller range and scaling (yet - coming soon) so I found a nice solution with Mozaic in the meantime. @wim has a great script:

https://patchstorage.com/multi-midi-scaler/

Even after Drambo gets controller ranges/scaling I can see using this for other synths that have midi learn but no scaling/ranges.
    It’s working well and really let’s me be expressive with the layered Impaktor patches I’ve made. They were cool before but now they are way cooler!
    In this rig the Impaktors will be the main focus and the mirack round robins will have more of a supporting role: bass/ chord changes/ various melodic lines.
    Next I’ll be working on getting polyphony/chords and velocity incorporated into the AUv3 version of Mirack.

• edited June 2020

Here’s another short proof of concept video. This time showing my Touche’ controller modulating several parameters in Drambo and the feedback parameter in Alteza. The controller values are being constrained and scaled with the Mozaic multi midi scaler script from @wim.
    Didn’t add any other midi control (scene changes) or instrument layers to keep it simple and to keep focus on the Touche’ modulations. Right hand tapping on a Roland pad and the left hand manipulating Touche’.
    Will put out more short videos of certain aspects of the project as they are added and a final comprehensive one when it’s completed.

• edited June 2020

@aleyas Been working on using multiple sequences in each of the write 32 sequencers in Mirack. Instead of just getting polyphony from it I decided to add different notes/ lengths and sounds to each sequence. If I’m going to go through all that work, I want to make it more complex sounding. Makes interesting/random chords.
    Unfortunately the compositional workflow in Mirack in general feels slow and clunky to me. Hopefully it will get better with time.
    I see we have the same issue with midi controllers and scenes in Drambo. The range control parameter is nice though.

• @hypnopad said:
    Here’s another short proof of concept video. This time showing my Touche’ controller modulating several parameters in Drambo and the feedback parameter in Alteza. The controller values are being constrained and scaled with the Mozaic multi midi scaler script from @wim.
    Didn’t add any other midi control (scene changes) or instrument layers to keep it simple and to keep focus on the Touche’ modulations. Right hand tapping on a Roland pad and the left hand manipulating Touche’.
    Will put out more short videos of certain aspects of the project as they are added and a final comprehensive one when it’s completed.

Really nice music coming out of this work.

• It’s been a bit of a lull here. Been working more and lately had to pack up my studio and store it in a safe place due to fire danger. Things are looking better- just brought back the iPad only part. Also kind of hit a juncture of waiting on a couple new apps and others to get new features.Putting out feelers/requests.Doing some experimenting and learning more about the apps I will be using. Some experiments lead nowhere but some are fruitful and I will be implementing them in the future. Will post something when I feel I’ve gotten past this slow stage.

• It's good to see you're making progress since this is a great way for many to enter the world of IOS music making using Drum pads as the MIDI triggers.

Hopefully, we'll see more apps like Impaktor (and don't tell me about the Drambo tour please... that's not Impaktor). Unfortunately, the Impaktor developer is extremely busy so no update to AUv3.

This leaves an opening for another developer to step up and make a "tapping" input app
    with a simple record/loop function in the AUv3 format, please.

@Hynopad shouldn't have to work so hard to find tools for his process. It's an open application space for someone looking for "gaps" to fill with new products.

• Today feels like I may be turning a corner. @wim just made an awesome round robin Mozaic script (beta) for me that I think will supply an important missing piece of this puzzle. Together with the impending release of sEGments today I feel like this project can finally reach its potential.

• @McD You have made me curious as to what exactly I’m missing out on using Drambo as a replacement to Impaktor. I know Impaktor has more models (24) versus (11) in Drambo but I’ve found combining the modal resonator and the waveguide seems to cover a lot of the bases for me. The fact that I can modulate and midi learn all the parameters in Drambo more than make up for any short comings. The thought of Impaktor as an AUv3 does excite me but I seriously doubt it will ever happen.
    Not arguing just genuinely curious.

• wimwim
    edited June 2020

Heh, heh, you do realize Drambo and Impaktor are from the same developer, @McD? I get the impression that the Impaktor-ish aspects of Drambo are meant as a replacement for Impaktor, and that the issue isn't time, but willingness to revisit the older app. My memory could be faulty on that point though.

• @hypnopad said:
    @McD You have made me curious as to what exactly I’m missing out on using Drambo as a replacement to Impaktor.

I shouldn't have vented about this. Impaktor is a drop dead simple toy for turning typing into little loops. I'd like it to be available as an AUv3 option. It had an almost flat learning curve and apps like that for drumming are rare. It made my IOS devices a physical instrument.

I test drove the Impaktor presets and Drambo and didn't get the same types of sounds
    and gave up.

@wim said:
    Heh, heh, you do realize Drambo and Impaktor are from the same developer, @McD?

I do... which is why I don't expect the developer to stop making Drambo better and better
    to look backwards. He's done an amazing job with Drambo and has ambitious plans
    in the roadmap.

For me Impaktor was just an amazing out-of-the-box toy. Something I would hand to a child to play with.

Anyway... carry on. I'm just being a crank and I don't like selfish cranks as a rule.
    "Mirror, mirror..."

• edited June 2020

@McD said:

@hypnopad said:
    @McD You have made me curious as to what exactly I’m missing out on using Drambo as a replacement to Impaktor.

Impaktor is a drop dead simple toy for turning typing into little loops.

I never used the sequencer/looper part of it. I could see how you might miss that simple feature though.
    I was also a bit let down at first when comparing Drambo’s version of Impaktor. It wasn’t a one to one parameter kind of thing I expected but in the end I could get close enough and then take it to a whole new level. Not as simple and immediate as Impaktor but much deeper for sure.

• wimwim
    edited June 2020

@McD said:

@hypnopad said:

I shouldn't have vented about this. Impaktor is a drop dead simple toy for turning typing into little loops. I'd like it to be available as an AUv3 option. It had an almost flat learning curve and apps like that for drumming are rare. It made my IOS devices a physical instrument.

I test drove the Impaktor presets and Drambo and didn't get the same types of sounds
    and gave up.

@wim said:
    Heh, heh, you do realize Drambo and Impaktor are from the same developer, @McD?

I do... which is why I don't expect the developer to stop making Drambo better and better
    to look backwards. He's done an amazing job with Drambo and has ambitious plans
    in the roadmap.

For me Impaktor was just an amazing out-of-the-box toy. Something I would hand to a child to play with.

Anyway... carry on. I'm just being a crank and I don't like selfish cranks as a rule.
    "Mirror, mirror..."

Out of curiosity, is there anything wrong with Impaktor as it is? I still have it on my devices. Haven't used it for a long time though, so I can't say if it's working or not.

Sorry for the O.T. jaunt, @hypnopad. I'm just curious.

• McDMcD
    edited June 2020

@wim said:
    Out of curiosity, is there anything wrong with Impaktor as it is?

Just the lack of AUv3 or IAA feature so I can use it in AUM.

I'm a drummer and it spoke to me on my terms. Just hand drum on the
    table and lay the phone down.

The quest @hypnopad is on is similar... to drum input for synths.

I really should re-visit the streambyter script that turned FAC Transient into
    a drum trigger module for use in AUM. But that's just one "drum" input.
    I was hoping Fred would make it sensitive to rough pitch variations.

I think table drumming on an iPhone with Impaktor was more fun than any other
    iPhone app with a close second for Roli Seaboard and the Ocarina app where you blew
    air into the mic... elegant conversion of gestures to musical instrument.

Gestrument Pro also probably deserves more time for my tastes in elegant interfaces.

PS - I feel the same way about the Animoog(s)... sound great never get much use.

• edited June 2020

Alright. It looks things are moving ahead nicely with the Mozaic script. Yet I’m already seeing the next hurdle (one of many) ahead. The round robin works great until I have to limit its note input so each one plays on its own pad. Each Mozaic instance is getting two streams of midi (17 contiguous midi notes for control from the Quneo and a separate single note from a pad on the Handsonic. That rules out using the built in note range window in AUM. So I’m going to use two instances of a note filtering Mozaic script to see what happens.

• No longer need the other filter scripts since @wim made the trigger ranges part of the script. The hypno sequence Mozaic script is more than I expected and I think it makes all the difference in regards to making things possible on iOS that I thought were only possible on the laptop. I am in the process of building the next AUM patch and will demo it soon.

• Here’s a picture of the finalized setup.

Now it’s all on me. Build up an AUM template, choose some sounds/synths and compose a song. I’ll post a video and then consider this experiment a success. Might consider an album if I really like the workflow.

• @aleyas Thanks for all your generous expertise. You are definitely one of the few here that I consider as a cohort/collaborator in this adventure of mine.I’ve decided to go with Mozaic as the round robin instead of Mirack. I’m glad I stuck my toe into the euro rack world but it had too many shortcomings and complexities for my workflow right now.

• @lukesleepwalker Have you done much with sEGments yet? I’ve been busy with other aspects of this project to check it out to see if it will actually work as a simpler replacement with warping capabilities.

• @hypnopad said:
    @lukesleepwalker Have you done much with sEGments yet? I’ve been busy with other aspects of this project to check it out to see if it will actually work as a simpler replacement with warping capabilities.

Not much yet in terms of workflow. I spent some time with it last weekend and learned the basic UI and tested the audio quality from various sampling scenarios. Duly impressed by the results with no miss and no fuss. Next step is to work it into the flow.

• @lukesleepwalker I was hoping more from sEGments.Apparently you can’t change the pitch of a riff without changing its speed in keyboard mode even with warp activated. I don’t think that’s possible on iOS yet.
    If I’m limited to regular one hit sample playing I think I’m left with AudioLayer, Drambo or sEGments. Any favorites? Other options?
    PS. I hope you are enjoying your Mozaic gift as much as I am !

• edited July 2020

@hypnopad said:
    @lukesleepwalker I was hoping more from sEGments.Apparently you can’t change the pitch of a riff without changing its speed in keyboard mode even with warp activated. I don’t think that’s possible on iOS yet.
    If I’m limited to regular one hit sample playing I think I’m left with AudioLayer, Drambo or sEGments. Any favorites? Other options?
    PS. I hope you are enjoying your Mozaic gift as much as I am !

Too bad about sEGments; I haven't had time to play more with it but hope to this coming weekend. I trust that the dev is not done with that app so I'll be patient. I'm using AudioLayer as my sampler and it's reliable even if not totally easy to use. I do a fair bit of pre processing in BM3 or Auditor.

The recent Mozaic scripts from @_ki and @wim are like creative kindling. I’m loving what these scripts allow me to do.

• edited July 2020

@lukesleepwalker Here’s to creative kindling!👍🏻

• All right. This video demo fulfills 90% of what I normally accomplish on the laptop. I’m calling it a success. Didn’t do the vocal to midi conversion- would of required a second iPad. Also couldn’t find any sampler to play rhythmic melodic riffs in different pitches while maintaining tempo. The cpu power just isn’t there yet. Almost brings my laptop to its knees accomplishing that. Otherwise really happy. Thanks so much to everyone who helped me with this - @McD and @aleyas etc and special thanks to @wim for the incredible Mosaic scripts!
    See description of things used and workflow in the YouTube version.

• Nice! Love all your stuff on YT. Sometimes wish they were longer though. B)

• Thanks @wim Working on making things a bit longer. Some things on YT are just demos and are purposefully kept short. Others could definitely be extended.That’s something I’ve always had a problem with - making things sound interesting over a longer period of time. I always feel I would just be repeating the same part over and over. Compositionally I am just winging it!

• Unfortunately I had to cannibalize my laptop rig to make the iPad only setup. I’m really wanting to get back to the big rig and make more videos (I’ll post them in their own thread on the forum).
    I’ve learned a lot in the process. Mostly how cool and helpful the people on this forum are. We now have a proper melodic round robin on iOS - that’s huge! I will bring some things back to my big rig (Drampaktor!!) and will still experiment with the hypno sequence script in Mozaic now that it has many directions and rests/ presets. Round robin Fugue machine here I come! I will post those here probably.
    Thanks again everybody.

• edited July 2020

Decided to run my Drampaktor patch through FF Saturn 2 (glitchy goodness). Put on my space suit and took a trip. Played with fingers on a drum pad and the occasional glass to adjust knobs.Here’s a long one for you @wim. Check out YouTube for additional info.