Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Looperator by Sugar Bytes

Comments

• @reasOne said:

@MonzoPro said:

@reasOne said:
    how many times in your life does anyone need to use tape stop sheesh lol i personally can’t stand that effect 🤣 are the effects all 1/32th notes made for fast crazy music or can you drag a filter out longer to actually make something that sounds creative and not like you have been smoking meth all day??

The graphic equivalent is the curled page corner effect, beloved by designers in the 90’s.

You can get away with using it once, but after that...

🤣

And the album cover mirror effect of the oldest iPods ;)

• The graphic a tremendous (in a bad way), the stop effects and scratches too But except for that i’m really enjoying this app.

• The best thing about this isn't the effects, I agree I dislike the tape stop or even over filtered effects. This is more about the live slicing/looping and blending with the source material like Glitchcore.

Effectrix is more an effect sequencer, this is more a slice sequencer, but they overlap :)

• bought for the scratches and stutters :-)

• WHILE WE ARE BYTIMG SUGAR TOGETHER HOW ARE YOU ALL SYNCING OR USING EGOIST ?

I have an issue w sync and getting it to be slave to my be clock or just WORKIKG LIKE IT DID PRIOR TO AUDIO UNIT CONVERSION....

• How is Looperator diff than the old Steinburg Looper-something or other....

• @RUST( i )K said:
    WHILE WE ARE BYTIMG SUGAR TOGETHER HOW ARE YOU ALL SYNCING OR USING EGOIST ?

I have an issue w sync and getting it to be slave to my be clock or just WORKIKG LIKE IT DID PRIOR TO AUDIO UNIT CONVERSION....

I’ve been having stop/start issues in AUM for a while now with different apps, however, loading up AB3 and using it’s transport controls lets me start everything with the highest degree of reliability. IDK if that helps. Also, for Egoist specifically, check if the AU instance is using external clock source and has host start enabled 😅 I spent some time being angry at the app which should have just been spent ‘settings surfing’ instead

• @WillieNegus ... Nice to have your opinion as always!
    _
    Finally, 17.99 is robbery for what it does._

This is my takeaway as well. But, i'll probably get it our of curiosity if it goes on sale someday. Cuz, ya know ... apps.

• I keep telling myself ... this hobby is cheaper than eurorack. Hope you're well!

• Yeah, this can do a lot. It isn’t just an edm thing. The feature set is different enough from Effectrix for me. The random slice feature, among other things, is enough to keep me interested and having fun.

• @WillieNegus said:

@kinkujin said:
    @WillieNegus ... Nice to have your opinion as always!
    _

This is my takeaway as well. But, i'll probably get it our of curiosity if it goes on sale someday. Cuz, ya know ... apps.

Aw man don’t I know...well over a grand on apps/software/gear this month. Beginning to think GAS and Cabin Fever is a lot more dangerous to my health than the Rona 🤦🏽‍♂️.

I’m going cold turkey. No apps or plugins for a few months. Wish me luck.

• I > @gusgranite said:

@WillieNegus said:

@kinkujin said:
    _

Aw man don’t I know...well over a grand on apps/software/gear this month. Beginning to think GAS and Cabin Fever is a lot more dangerous to my health than the Rona 🤦🏽‍♂️.

Good luck 😀... nothings written in stone... you deserve a treat.... this could be the one you finally needed..... it’s on special offer for a limited time... you only live once.... why wait.... you shouldn’t be unkind to yourself..... it’s causing more frustration that it’s worth not to have it.... that developer needs and deserves support.... what harm can it really do.....

• @robosardine said:
    I > @gusgranite said:

@WillieNegus said:

@kinkujin said:
    _

Good luck 😀... nothings written in stone... you deserve a treat.... this could be the one you finally needed..... it’s on special offer for a limited time... you only live once.... why wait.... you shouldn’t be unkind to yourself..... it’s causing more frustration that it’s worth not to have it.... that developer needs and deserves support.... what harm can it really do.....

😈

• Anyone have a solid demo video of this?

• @Littlewoodg said:

@AudioGus said:

@drewinnit said:
    I love the concept of Effectrix but the effects aren't quite to my taste (too many scratch and loop fx), I'm interested in this but the tape stop and record scratch effect that features prominently in the demo vid kinda turn me off....maybe 4Pockets Flux is another similar option

Yah the demo vid doesn't sound anything like what I use Looperator for.

Do you have any interest in making video of how you use it...?

I use it pretty much like how anyone else does. i just don’t do ‘bangers’ and feed it different sounds than the video.

• 😈 🤷‍♂️ 😇

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    I love Sugar Bytes. Prolly my favorite developer. This one really isn't for me. Too samey (for me) and somewhat old-fashioned sounding (in my clumsy hands). Will consider the money invested in their work moving forward...

Yeah my thoughts too. > @Carnbot said:

The best thing about this isn't the effects, I agree I dislike the tape stop or even over filtered effects. This is more about the live slicing/looping and blending with the source material like Glitchcore.

>

Yeah that bit looks good - you can do it in Egoist, but not with a live feed (I think). Turnado does a bit of this as well, but with less of a WYSIWYG UI.

• @MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    I love Sugar Bytes. Prolly my favorite developer. This one really isn't for me. Too samey (for me) and somewhat old-fashioned sounding (in my clumsy hands). Will consider the money invested in their work moving forward...

Yeah my thoughts too. > @Carnbot said:

The best thing about this isn't the effects, I agree I dislike the tape stop or even over filtered effects. This is more about the live slicing/looping and blending with the source material like Glitchcore.

>

Yeah that bit looks good - you can do it in Egoist, but not with a live feed (I think). Turnado does a bit of this as well, but with less of a WYSIWYG UI.

@MonzoPro I still suspect I will use this somewhere or COULD but in my slow hands Turnado/Wow/Effectrix/ and especially Egoist will probably get ridden first.

@WillieNegus good to hear your inimitable dulcet tones Mister :)

• Yeah Zilld: I am curious too as I have effectrix and turnado... I mean friggin sugar bytes are always amazing but I kinda thought effectrix was similar to turnado. Hmmm, anyway the free trial model sucks me in every time! Cheers and I hope this is amazing.

• edited April 2020

@WillieNegus said:

Finally, 17.99 is robbery for what it does.

Yup yup. I paid $25 cad and for me it would be well worth the full desktop price again on iOS. Think I am going to go back to NS2 now as the Looperator remote list works fantastic in there. Bless you Sugar Bytes!

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro I still suspect I will use this somewhere or COULD but in my slow hands Turnado/Wow/Effectrix/ and especially Egoist will probably get ridden first.

SugarBytes are right up there in my top toy drawer, so any porting of their desktop products is absolutely welcome and appreciated.

Thing is it's £18 for something I can (almost) do already, and not an effect I'm after much anyway. Plus I'm hardly using the iPad at all for music these days as the old Air 2 is wheezing a bit lately, and I'm a bit skint look - so any spare cash needs to go in the new iPad fund for now.

I've filed this under the 'wait until I've got a bit of cash to spend, they have one of their sales, and I'm looking for a little silly treat'.

• edited April 2020

@WillieNegus said:

@AudioGus said:

@WillieNegus said:

Yup yup. I paid $25 cad and for me it would be well worth the full desktop price again on iOS. Think I am going to go back to NS2 now as the Looperator remote list works fantastic in there. Bless you Sugar Bytes!

Was thinking the same. Love BM3 but Looperator does a lot of the heavy lifting I don’t exactly enjoy spending time doing manually anymore. Especially when trying to complete a vibe. Zenbeats or NS2 will be getting a lot more action in the coming days.

Egoist I almost use exclusively as standalone but still the best at exploring long loops or songs I want to sample. Looperator was my not so secret secret weapon on desktop for completely mangling a sample into something new.

Egoist in NS2 was huge for me in my last NS2 run. Now I have Fab Filters and Looperator so it really is leaning to that direction, regardless of a lack of AU fx automation and pretty limited audio support. If BM3 had bug free automation though I probably would be sticking in there, where Looperator could shine. Funny how super limited AU automation of NS2 wins out over just a hair too buggy automation of BM3. Heh, well OK not funny, just practical I guess.

• @WillieNegus said:

@AudioGus said:

@WillieNegus said:

Was thinking the same. Love BM3 but Looperator does a lot of the heavy lifting I don’t exactly enjoy spending time doing manually anymore. Especially when trying to complete a vibe. Zenbeats or NS2 will be getting a lot more action in the coming days.

Egoist I almost use exclusively as standalone but still the best at exploring long loops or songs I want to sample. Looperator was my not so secret secret weapon on desktop for completely mangling a sample into something new.

Hmmm...think I might have to install the demo and watch some vids, and revise my previous impression, just in case I’m missing a trick...

• @MonzoPro said:

@WillieNegus said:

@AudioGus said:

@WillieNegus said:

Hmmm...think I might have to install the demo and watch some vids, and revise my previous impression, just in case I’m missing a trick...

You might find it like Turnado is for me where the presets probably don't hit your sweet spots, but once you get into the parameter noodling it becomes your own.

• @AudioGus said:

@MonzoPro said:

@WillieNegus said:

@AudioGus said:

@WillieNegus said:

You might find it like Turnado is for me where the presets probably don't hit your sweet spots, but once you get into the parameter noodling it becomes your own.

Yeah, I do like digging into the guts of Turnado and tweaking the levers. And, well, Sugarbytes..,

I’ll have a play with the demo, will still wait for a sale though.

• Just in case I am missing it somewhere or I haven’t overlooked it in the manual... is there a sort of freeze option similar to the one we have in GlitchCore?

• edited April 2020

@david_2017 You mean the much maligned tape stop? It falls under the auspices of the Vinyl user effect, and there are also some canned Tape Stop and Vinyl presets.

• I haven't pressed purchase yet, but will do over the weekend. I was hoping for a freeze too, not as an effect, but just an option to hold the buffer until releasing it. Pretty sure it doesn't have this though.....? So I think you have to loop in your DAW/host first as a workaround.

• @WillieNegus said:
    How is GlitchCore?

GlitchCore is sublime:
    Can remix live audio, freeze audio, loop to marked points, play backwards, stutter and glitch. Its hands on and can be automated.

Between GlitchCore, BitMaestro, and ScatterBrain (and a million FX apps) I've got my per step effects covered.

• I’m loving GlitchCore, simple and brilliant. The glitch step generator is really easy and speedy to play with. You can sample into it live and then glitch that loop - only thing is if you unfreeze you lose the loop, so I’ve taken to recording it in Enso if it’s something I can’t bear to let go.

Live sampling and slicing has been my obsession of late. I’ve been using Drambo and EG pulse for slice to pads and also Reslice (not an elegant workflow as an AU, but great results). Whatever I’ve tried, I keep going back to Blocs Wave for its unsurpassed slice and sequence. Now though I think GlitchCore might just displace Blocs - and I can use it several times over.

On this thread it’d be wrong not to say I always run everything through Turnado’s loopers and slicers, haven’t really got on with Effectrix, but have played with the Looperator demo and can see it working well for me in the future. For now though, I’m going to really push GlitchCore and see where it takes me.