Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Mononoke for dummies

13»

Comments

• edited November 2020

I had a play with Mozaic script which ‘worked’ but it wasn’t a particularly useful option.

Can you trigger mononoke without mpe at all? I’ve tried using the keyboard in AUM but none of the notes do anything at all.

Cubasis 3 seems to record some midi from it but without ableton link that’s basically pointless in AUM.

I think Xequence 2 has mpe coming?

I read through the atom 2 thread and no mpe there at launch by the looks of it after all.

I guess best option is to record a mononoke performance as audio and put into segments or something??? Definitely feel like I’m missing something?

Edit: just tried recording from mononoke into Xequence which did capture midi but didn’t seem to play anything when I fed it back into AUM destination then to mononoke

• edited November 2020

@gregsmith said:
    I had a play with Mozaic script which ‘worked’ but it wasn’t a particularly useful option.

Can you trigger mononoke without mpe at all? I’ve tried using the keyboard in AUM but none of the notes do anything at all.

Cubasis 3 seems to record some midi from it but without ableton link that’s basically pointless in AUM.

I think Xequence 2 has mpe coming?

I read through the atom 2 thread and no mpe there at launch by the looks of it after all.

I guess best option is to record a mononoke performance as audio and put into segments or something??? Definitely feel like I’m missing something?

Yeah, I’m not sure there’s a solid iOS solution outside of Cubasis right now, that script I just used so that I could record my playing (albeit a limited quantity - I think it’s 1000 events) and then tweak other parameters or effects as it played back and I could record that audio while that happened...

Edit: there is photon but I never bought it so I can’t say for sure...

• edited November 2020

Garageband also records MPE very well.

Alternatively you can disable MPE mode and use it as a normal MIDI synth, but then you'll lose 90% of the expressiveness.

It's an instrument that is designed to be 'played live', just like e.g. acoustic instruments. So recording your performance as audio is the best way to go, unless your DAW records MPE data properly :)

• @royor said:
    New Mononoke owners (myself included) should get this great Mozaic script for Mononoke from @_ki which extends Mononokes expression possibilities by offering 4 user defined tunings that are updated using a smart change strategy:

MONONOKE Smart Tunings v1.2
    https://patchstorage.com/mononoke-smart-tunings/

Good tip!

• @brambos said:
    Garageband also records MPE very well.

Alternatively you can disable MPE mode and use it as a normal MIDI synth, but then you'll lose 90% of the expressiveness.

It's an instrument that is designed to be 'played live', just like e.g. acoustic instruments. So recording your performance as audio is the best way to go, unless your DAW records MPE data properly :)

Thanks for the clarification. Sometimes I don’t need the expressiveness - it’s just the lovely tone I’m after and the merging of the harmonics.

Otherwise will record as audio for now :)

• edited March 2021

Has anyone found any Mononoke presets out there? Yea it comes with like 25, and I really love more then half of them but I was hoping to find some free ones available somewhere? Anyone shared any, or willing to do so?

Also why no random button? Most @brambos apps have a random button, and it seems like at least to me, after a few days of having Mononoke it’s a perfect candidate for a random. Not the tunings, the actual synth, preferably two randoms, one for left and one for right, so if you have something you like on one side, you could randomly generate until you have something you like on other side. I know the actual synth knobs aren’t too complicated and dialing in something isn’t to tricky even for a novice sound designer like me, but I would absolutely love if Mononoke had a patch randomization button.

Any plans on a random patch creation button for Mononoke by any chance @brambos ?

• Maybe a Mozaic script? I’m going to ask about it in the thread that’s for Mozaic scripts.

• Does mononoke listen to a cc thats in the mononoke manual, on both ch 1 and 2-16? So another synth mapping cant be the same cc as mononoke on ch 1 and a channel from 2-16 and can then mononoke be in any aum audio channel. If I ended up needing to use aum filter system ( meaning ) Does aum audio and midi channel have to be the same or can you filter the midi of ch 1, if its in aum audio ch 4?

• Dont worry. I will fix it when actually mapping.

• Hi there, are there any more presets anywhere for this brilliant synth? Thanks in advance, Russell

• 💖 Thanks for this, mate 💖

• Been enjoying your vids so must check this one. Thanks

• Tips for using the Buchla Thunder overlay with this?

• Hi Bram. Congrats on job, They know style.

Mapped mononoke to controller. So dont need to use the parameter screen.

It would be cool. For the sake of how good the app can be. If the lfo waveforms were baked into the pad screen also.

Wouldnt make mononoke look bad.

• It’s easy to map Mozaic midi cc randomizer script to Mononoke and generate random patches.

• edited October 2021

Not sure about the lfo. I didnt even notice Ripplemaker through Mononoke but mapped dual mononoke. Like the bit at 10.11. You think you are getting good with the animations etc.

Lyra would have more fold ( as someone said about Ocoast ) but think the ipad is more expressive.

What is the click within fold? Are you ment to encorperate fold much?

• edited November 2021

Anyone knows if Bram was influenced by the Lyra for this one?

There is so many incredible apps on the AppStore, I don't know why music production on iPad is not more popular than that.

• @richardyot said:
    Here's a quick jam in C Mixolydian, with a few additional FX apps:

That was great! I don’t have Mononoke, but hearing this example has got me interested! Nice one! 👍

• @Spidericemidas said:

@richardyot said:
    Here's a quick jam in C Mixolydian, with a few additional FX apps:

That was great! I don’t have Mononoke, but hearing this example has got me interested! Nice one! 👍

Thanks!