Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Mononoke for dummies

Comments

• edited January 2020

Nice, thanks. I like the chord idea, that’s what I went to as well, I usually make like a 7th chord for the lower keys and then add in like a 9, 11, 13, and another root on the other side

• edited January 2020

@robertreynolds said:

@brambos said:

@robertreynolds said:

@brambos said:

@robertreynolds said:
    When playing mononoke with my Seaboard block or Roli block in AUM or Cubasis, do I need it set to Midi?

I get nothing in either host when setting Mononoke to MPE, which seems counterintuitive.

No, you need to have it on MPE when using MPE controllers as you’d expect. Are you routing the controller into Mononoke?

I am. For example.

1. I connect my block in AUM through settings (it appears connected)
    2. I add mononoke to a channel.
    3. I add Noise melody to a channel.
    4. I route the block to both Mononoke and Noise Melody using midi routing.

Result: I can play Noise melody AU fine. I get absolutely nothing in Mononoke.

I’ve restarted iPad. I’ve also duplicated in Cubasis 3. Neither block or seaboard block work with Mononoke In MPE mode but work with other MPE synths.

I’m likely doing something really stupid here, but I can’t figure it out.

Does AUM's built-in keyboard work when you switch to MIDI mode?

Yessir. AUM keyboard works fine. And both the block and seaboard also work when in midi mode.

I’m using the latest version of Mononoke on an IPad Pro with iOS 13.3.

Is there a chance the Rolis are set to regular MIDI mode instead of MPE then? They’re not supposed to trigger Mononoke at all when the app is set to MIDI and the controllers to MPE.

• @brambos said:

@robertreynolds said:

@brambos said:

@robertreynolds said:

@brambos said:

@robertreynolds said:
    When playing mononoke with my Seaboard block or Roli block in AUM or Cubasis, do I need it set to Midi?

I get nothing in either host when setting Mononoke to MPE, which seems counterintuitive.

No, you need to have it on MPE when using MPE controllers as you’d expect. Are you routing the controller into Mononoke?

I am. For example.

I’ve restarted iPad. I’ve also duplicated in Cubasis 3. Neither block or seaboard block work with Mononoke In MPE mode but work with other MPE synths.

Yessir. AUM keyboard works fine. And both the block and seaboard also work when in midi mode.

Is there a chance the Rolis are set to regular MIDI mode instead of MPE then? They’re not supposed to trigger Mononoke at all when the app is set to MIDI and the controllers to MPE.

Let me check. It’s quite possible on the block I suppose, less likely on the seaboard though.

• Posted this in the other thread / got the buffer at 1024

Trying to run mononoke / touchscaper / Poly2 in AUM and they’re not playing nice. Some great ambient sounds but getting regular cpu spikes. Air 2

• @robertreynolds said:

@brambos said:

@robertreynolds said:

@brambos said:

@robertreynolds said:

@brambos said:

@robertreynolds said:

I am. For example.

Let me check. It’s quite possible on the block I suppose, less likely on the seaboard though.

Omg I feel so dumb. I’m so sorry I wasted your time. I connected both to the blocks dashboard software and they were both in something called multi-channel mode. I updated them and restored them to factory defaults, ensured they were both in MPE mode and both now work perfectly. And holy hell! Does Mononoke feel like an actual instrument using these controllers. They’re both super expressive and incredibly fun to play. Thank you and sorry again!

• @robertreynolds said:

@robertreynolds said:

@brambos said:

@robertreynolds said:

@brambos said:

@robertreynolds said:

@brambos said:

@robertreynolds said:

I am. For example.

Omg I feel so dumb. I’m so sorry I wasted your time. I connected both to the blocks dashboard software and they were both in something called multi-channel mode. I updated them and restored them to factory defaults, ensured they were both in MPE mode and both now work perfectly. And holy hell! Does Mononoke feel like an actual instrument using these controllers. They’re both super expressive and incredibly fun to play. Thank you and sorry again!

You have done us boys at the back (and we are legion) the tremendous momentary favor of not feeling entirely alone... well done Sir :)

• @brambos , Maybe I’m wrong, but in the previous version, when the pads were selected as ‘free’ rather than ‘note’, the display was 3 figures, I assume hz, now it still displays the note values in free mode.

• @david_2017 said:
    @barabajagal wow. Period! „Ma heartbeat“ is the best i have heart yet ;)
    Thanks for sharing. I was trying to get something like Celer or Hotel Neon or maybe mount shrine. You nailed this one!

Thanks 👍 Appreciate that. You’ve also given me some bands I need to check out that are not on my radar. Cheers

• What MIDI apps are good to record the MPE in this (preferably in AUM). I have searched about a bit and seems atom won’t but beathawk might. I tried BH and got some stuff recorded but didn’t seem quite as I played it so I’m not sure it’s recording the full performance from the pads or just notes a bit of pitch bend and velocity...

Sorry if this is a dumb question but I can’t find a clear answer on this from google...

Cheers

Chris

• McDMcD
    edited January 2020

@Krupa said:
    What MIDI apps are good to record the MPE in this (preferably in AUM).

I think Cubasis can record MPE streams and Host Monoke. I'm not aware of an app that can in record it AUM. I haven't tried Cubasis yet.

This might be the wrong thread to ask on since a Dummy won't figure this out. And I don't think it's a question a dummy would ask either.

Try "Monoke for IOS Masters" for $100, Alex. If there isn't such discussion an IOS Master should get right on it.

• Good answer 👌

• Apparently Cubasis 2 records MPE from the AU, but Cubasis 3 does not yet.

• Good info, ta 👍

• That’s an absolutely brilliant explanation of the App. Gold medal post! I’m really getting to grips with it now - here’s a jam I did in AUM with Fugue Machine when I first got it.

• @brambos said:
    Apparently Cubasis 2 records MPE from the AU, but Cubasis 3 does not yet.

Well that's a perfect reason NOT to upgrade from 2 to 3 along with the fact that I'm really cheap.

• @barabajagal said:

@david_2017 said:
    @barabajagal wow. Period! „Ma heartbeat“ is the best i have heart yet ;)
    Thanks for sharing. I was trying to get something like Celer or Hotel Neon or maybe mount shrine. You nailed this one!

Thanks 👍 Appreciate that. You’ve also given me some bands I need to check out that are not on my radar. Cheers

Cheers ;)
    These are my favorites when it comes to drone music.

Right now am missing the musical aspect of mononoke. It gets too quick out of order and the note selection is not my thing.
    Hope to have some time with it and try to get it tamed with some verbs and filters and other plugs. We will see.

• I’m so cheap I only have the LE version, and I don’t think I can load anything into that 🤣

@McD said:

@brambos said:
    Apparently Cubasis 2 records MPE from the AU, but Cubasis 3 does not yet.

Well that's a perfect reason NOT to upgrade from 2 to 3 along with the fact that I'm really cheap.

• Actually, having said that, I just tried it in auria Pro and found an interface glitch, probably best post it in the other thread though I guess...

• @richardyot said:
    Here's a quick jam in C Mixolydian, with a few additional FX apps:

“ I felt a great disturbance in the Force. As if millions of voices sound track composers cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.”

• Really neat. Thank you. I read the manual, though. Bram always writes em really good

• @richardyot said:

@richardyot said:

@richardyot said:

That’s a really cool piece. Magic.

• Just got mononoke in the sale and trying to find an app to record the midi into in AUM. Atom 2 will surely do it but that’s not out yet obvs. Any easy options?

• @richardyot Thanks so much. I never really explored Mononoke ‘til now. It’s amazing.

• @Schmotown said:
    @richardyot Thanks so much. I never really explored Mononoke ‘til now. It’s amazing.

My pleasure!

• @gregsmith said:
    Just got mononoke in the sale and trying to find an app to record the midi into in AUM. Atom 2 will surely do it but that’s not out yet obvs. Any easy options?

It’s MPE I believe, there’s a mosaic script that I’ve used in the past and I’ve heard tell that photon does that as well, but I’d check that with someone who knows if I were you...

• @Krupa said:

@gregsmith said:
    Just got mononoke in the sale and trying to find an app to record the midi into in AUM. Atom 2 will surely do it but that’s not out yet obvs. Any easy options?

It’s MPE I believe, there’s a mosaic script that I’ve used in the past and I’ve heard tell that photon does that as well, but I’d check that with someone who knows if I were you...

Thanks. Any idea what the Mozaic script is called? Had a look on patchstorage but nothing jumped out.

• @gregsmith said:

@Krupa said:

@gregsmith said:

Thanks. Any idea what the Mozaic script is called? Had a look on patchstorage but nothing jumped out.

I might be wrong about it properly doing mpe but I’m not sure, this one is the one I meant though...I think it just records everything that gets piped into it, so maybe that’s enough for it to work as a basic mpe recorder?

https://patchstorage.com/simple-recorder-looper/

I seem to remember capturing mononoke performances with it, and the aum session I just loaded up with it in played back something...

• New Mononoke owners (myself included) should get this great Mozaic script for Mononoke from @_ki which extends Mononokes expression possibilities by offering 4 user defined tunings that are updated using a smart change strategy:

MONONOKE Smart Tunings v1.2
    https://patchstorage.com/mononoke-smart-tunings/

• @Krupa said:

@gregsmith said:

@Krupa said:

@gregsmith said:

I might be wrong about it properly doing mpe but I’m not sure, this one is the one I meant though...I think it just records everything that gets piped into it, so maybe that’s enough for it to work as a basic mpe recorder?

I seem to remember capturing mononoke performances with it, and the aum session I just loaded up with it in played back something...

Thanks for this. Appreciate it.

• @gregsmith said:

@Krupa said:

@gregsmith said:

@Krupa said:

@gregsmith said:

Thanks for this. Appreciate it.

Cool man, I hope it works for you :)