Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Wotja 20

Comments

• @Masanga said:

@craftycurate said:

Would sure like to hear it :)

Hee-hee. Be careful what you wish for…

It is really good. :wink:

• @impete said:

@Masanga said:

@craftycurate said:

Excellent thanks!

• @impete said:

@Masanga said:

@craftycurate said:

Trying to load @Masanga 's file, I encounter the following iOS13 behaviour, and I wonder if you might be able to advise:

It seems there are two Wotja folders in Files app.
    1. "On my iPad". I can copy .wotja and .noatikl files here but they don't show up in the User tab in Wotja
    2. "iCloud Drive". I can copy only .wotja files here, but they do show up in Wotja.

Weird though - if try to copy your ZIP file into the iCloud Drive folder, it appears in teh "On My iPAD" Wotja folder, not in the iCloud Wotja folder?

Also, I've tried moving the .noatikl file into the iCloud Wotja folder but the "move" button in Files is greyed out suggesting that it's blocked. I tried uploading in my browser iCloud app, but had an error saying "Can only upload files that Wotja recognises" or similar.

• @craftycurate said:

Trying to load @Masanga 's file, I encounter the following iOS13 behaviour, and I wonder if you might be able to advise:

OK - by way of example (having just tried this myself), I've selected a mail attachment .wotja file, in order to load it up to Wotja Pro 20 on my iPhone...:
    I see the usual iOS menu pop-up.
    From this, I select "More" ... I scroll down under Suggestions, and select "copy to Wotja Pro 20" ... and the file is loaded into Wotja Pro 20 without any fuss!

Are you trying some sort of different workflow?

What happens if you try what I suggest above?

My Wotja Pro 20 is configured to use iCloud.

Pete

• @impete said:

@craftycurate said:

OK - by way of example (having just tried this myself), I've selected a mail attachment .wotja file, in order to load it up to Wotja Pro 20 on my iPhone...:
    I see the usual iOS menu pop-up.
    From this, I select "More" ... I scroll down under Suggestions, and select "copy to Wotja Pro 20" ... and the file is loaded into Wotja Pro 20 without any fuss!

Are you trying some sort of different workflow?

What happens if you try what I suggest above?

My Wotja Pro 20 is configured to use iCloud.

Pete

It's the noatikl file that cannot be copied into the iCloud folder. I can copy the wotja one OK and it appears in the User panel.

• @craftycurate said:
    It's the noatikl file that cannot be copied into the iCloud folder. I can copy the wotja one OK and it appears in the User panel.

OK, that is surprising. Not sure what to suggest, immediately.

On a separate note, to use the .wotjabox file from @Masanga, once you have the next build, you won't actually need the .noatikl file as well.

I'll try to look at this next week - I'm just getting the new release ready!

Best wishes,

Pete

• edited January 2020

We've started to add some new tutorial videos for Wotja 20 here - https://intermorphic.com/learn/ - I hope you find them useful!

Pete

• @craftycurate said:

Three things things that may help:

1. It seems as if the iOS Open In… share sheet recognises .wotja files but not .noatikl files (nor .wotjabox files, for what that's worth), though they're recognised by Wotja 17 & 18 and indeed by Noatikl 2–3. That may be connected to why the Mix gets through but the Template doesn't.

2. iTunes file sharing does work as a way to get .noatikl files into the Wotja folder, as do iFunBox, iMazing, and iExplorer. All these seem bulletproof from a quick trial with the current version.

3. I've seen the double Wotja folders on an iOS 13 device but never on mine (which is still on jailbroken 12.4). iCloud seems to be implicated here in some way, but I generally avoid it with Wotja as you can see and access either your iCloud files or your local files but not both at the same time, and I happen to have gone with local.

• @impete said:
    We've started to add some new tutorial videos for Wotja 20 here - https://intermorphic.com/learn/ - I hope you find them useful!

Thanks so much, Pete – Mark's one is terrifically helpful, not least on the Note On Random option in the LFO (which I stumbled on in the E-Piano Space synth preset, which maps it to Pan, and have been slathering on everything ever since):

• @impete said:

@craftycurate said:

On a separate note, to use the .wotjabox file from @Masanga, once you have the next build, you won't actually need the .noatikl file as well.

I'll try to look at this next week - I'm just getting the new release ready!

Best wishes,

Pete

Look forward to it!

@impete said:

Pete

Great - the ones I've seen already have been very useful.

• edited January 2020

v20.1.4 has fixed the issue with missing templates, in that the cell content is now there where forlorn red cells used to be – but I'm finding that some cells based on user templates have had their ISE settings scrambled, to the point that I initially thought they weren't producing any sound at all. I'll have a look at the same files on desktop in the morning (where I'm still on the previous version) and see if I can figure out what's going on. Text display improvements look good!

• edited January 2020

@impete Thanks for latest update. Can load @Masanga ’s Mix file without problems. Cell text looking a lot better thanks. If the “wrap on space” could be applied to File names in the User tab that would be an added bonus.

Keep up the good work :)

• Thanks folks!

@Masanga if you have a problem file, where you can explain what you think the problem is :smile:, can you please mail it to Intermorphic support? Thanks!

• @impete said:
    Thanks folks!

@Masanga if you have a problem file, where you can explain what you think the problem is :smile:, can you please mail it to Intermorphic support? Thanks!

Hi Pete. The file in question originates with me so I can send it over, although @Masanga will be able to explain a lot more coherently than I can.

• @cooksferryqueen said:
    Hi Pete. The file in question originates with me so I can send it over, although @Masanga will be able to explain a lot more coherently than I can.

Cool, thanks! Pete

• @impete said:

@cooksferryqueen said:

Cool, thanks! Pete

What's the email address? I don't think I can attach a file to the contact form embedded in the website.

• Just say you have a file to send us (c.f. this forum post), and we'll get back to you quickly! Hoping that helps, Pete

• edited January 2020

OK, I have what's going on: cells with " (MISSING)" templates are preserving the IME component correctly, but have their ISE component reset to a default pad setting that looks like this:

– where both the wavetable units are set to the old workhorse 21.1-Syn Strings patch from the IM NT2-MT6 pak. (I don't immediately recognise this as corresponding precisely to any of the built-in synth presets, though the structure is a fairly standard one.) I'm getting this not just with @cooksferryqueen's file but with files of my own. The good news is that the files themselves seem uncorrupted; they all still display and play correctly in the desktop version, where the update hasn't yet dropped (at least for Mac).

• @Masanga said:

OK, thanks for that info!

Pete

• Just to note that I didn't get notified about your post - probably because you didn't tag my name in it! :wink: Pete

• @Masanga @cooksferryqueen Just to let you know: it looks like I’ve now fixed this - coming in 20.1.5. Thanks folks!

• edited January 2020

@craftycurate said:
    If the “wrap on space” could be applied to File names in the User tab that would be an added bonus.

Done in 20.1.5. Thanks for the prompt :wink: !

Best wishes, Pete

• @impete said:

@craftycurate said:
    If the “wrap on space” could be applied to File names in the User tab that would be an added bonus.

Done in 20.1.5. Thanks for the prompt :wink: !

Best wishes, Pete

Excellent thanks 👍

• edited January 2020

20.1.5 just dropped as I was heading to bed! Many thanks, @impete – some extreme misbehaviour from the ISE at first (all sounds, including in built-in Albums, completely replaced, mostly with the world's worst-played piano), but I rebooted and euphony was restored.

As you forewarned, any Cells in existing Mixes that are based on user-created Templates and haven't been further tweaked in-mix need to be reloaded to restore the original Template's ISE sounds, and the restored Mix then needs to be saved in the new version to lock the settings in place, after which it should be safe to share and archive Mixes without needing to keep the Template around in the same folder. I'll test this properly in the morning.

• @Masanga said:

Glad it is working for you now - many thanks for helping us to track this down!

Tim has documented this here https://intermorphic.com/help/#faq-ensure-template-data-is-in-cell ... together with the historical background.

I sometimes reflect that this software has been in active development by Tim and me for more than 30 years now - and think, wow. That must be pretty unusual! :smile:

Best wishes, Pete

• edited January 2020

@impete said:
    Tim has documented this here https://intermorphic.com/help/#faq-ensure-template-data-is-in-cell ... together with the historical background.

Very helpful! Big thanks to both. I'm still finding that, in addition to freestanding Mixes, many Mixes archived in Boxes are also missing their user Templates' ISE settings and have to be exported and restored, then re-archived (which sometimes takes a few goes to save successfully). But so far it looks as though it's easy to spot Cells where the Template needs to be reloaded, because they always show grey ISE synth & fx objects in the network view (and play with the default wavetable gibbon-thumping-a-piano sound). I've rebuilt all but a handful of my Mixes and so far haven't needed to export anything to a temporary template.

One apparent bug: in the sub version only, Export Mix to File (from within a Box) seems to be broken for me. It works normally in the Pro version, but in the sub version the save dialogue appears and confirms that the file has been saved under the name chosen, except that no file is actually saved – though Wotja apparently is sufficiently convinced that it has that if you try again it'll append a number to the name (and then still not save anything). It's not an issue with Refresh; inspection of the directory in Filza shows no file created.

One possibility is that this might be iCloud-related. I earlier today tried to get rid of the rather persistent and intrusive iCloud-unavailable dialogue by temporarily activating iCloud Drive (in the sub version but not the Pro version), whereupon all my hundred-odd local files were apparently uploaded to the iCloud Wotja folder and deleted locally (which I didn't think happened in earlier versions?); I checked in iFunBox during the panic, and the local Wotja Documents folder had completely emptied apart from the Inbox folder and, inexplicably, a couple of old Mixtikl demo files that I'd forgotten about. But then they were all recreated locally when I crossed fingers and deactivated iCloud. Maybe it thinks it's still saving these exported Mixes to iCloud? But I could be barking up completely the wrong tree here…

• edited January 2020

@Masanga said:

When you convert from Local to iCloud, the files you have locally are indeed transferred to iCloud (and vice-versa); I seem to recall that being a requirement when I first implemented iCloud support several years ago ... which was one of the most complicated things I've ever had to write, due to some appalling documentation from Apple back in the day!

Interested to hear about an iCloud unavailable dialog - when do you see that?

I'll investigate Export Mix to File ...

Thanks! Pete

• @impete said:
    Interested to hear about an iCloud unavailable dialog - when do you see that?

It started popping up in an earlier version of v20 after I turned on iCloud briefly in the Pro version (which I've been mainly using as a sandbox to test Template issues, with the sub version as my main workspace) to troubleshoot an issue I now forget but was probably part of the Template-loading/referencing pursuit. Weirdly, it was then in the sub version that I then started getting notifications of iCloud's unavailability, which appear when either copy of the app first loads (but I think not every time it first loads). I assume that's something to do with iCloud maintaining a single Wotja folder for all versions of the app, whereas the local storage is sandboxed for each version separately. I don't think I ever turned on iCloud for the sub version before today; I don't trust iCloud any further than I can throw my own head, and was relieved that you turned out to have anticipated and guarded against its enthusiasm for deleting local copies. The iCloud-not-available prompt is only a minor annoyance, which is why I didn't start poking around in it till everything was safely converted to 20.1.5. I'll keep an eye on when it does and (perhaps more usefully) doesn't appear.

• @Masanga said:

Interesting stuff! I totally rely on iCloud for Wotja, as it keeps the Mac and the iPhone / iPad etc. synced - Tim uses it too. Has been 100% reliable for us in Wotja!

Pete

• edited February 2020

We're getting Wotja 20.2.1 ready now - with many improvements and tweaks.

I hope you all like it!

Pete