Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

CVquencer

Comments

• @Liquidmantis Polyend's website says it's class compliant, so it should work fine.

Pro's of using an audio interface to generate CV/Gate:

• Timing: it's sample accurate across all the channels. No MIDI jitter or other issues. Vince Clarke would approve. :D
    • Tuning accuracy: the calibration process means the output voltages will be exactly matched to the oscillator, and you don't even need to tune the oscillator. Plus some MIDI to CV converters aren't that accurate since they just use 8-bit values.
    • Flexibility: you can configure the outputs of the interface for pitch / gate or other control voltages as you wish. A lot of MIDI to CV converters have outputs dedicated to particular functions so you couldn't go from, say, four pitch / gate pairs to two pitch / gate plus two per-step control voltages.
    • You can drive Volt/Octave or Hz/Volt synths, or both at the same time.

And the con's:

• You need to have a DC-coupled audio interface and suitable software.
    • It's going to take channels of the interface that you might want for audio purposes.
    • It's more complex to set up.
  • very well said, @AlanC3. I've always used MIDI-CV interfaces, although rather good ones (Kenton, Doepfer, and more recently Endorphines, Tubbutec), but also wanted to get into DC-coupled audio interfaces long ago. Maybe one day I will get an ES-8 or ES-9.

• Just finished a Live Stream Tutorial for CVquencer, must apologise for being late with this one.

• Thank you, Doug.

Sorry about not being around for the live stream, but we just lost one of the family to cancer. :'(

• Will this have more than 16 steps in the future? Seems very artificially restricted for a digital thing?

• edited February 2020

Yes, at last, what an app. I’ve been waiting for this, at last a great midi app that does the cv out from es-9 and 8 on the iPad, it’s been missing for ages, and it’s a great Sequenzer, thank you so much, amazing.
    I’m running an euro rack with es-9, and I’ve been dreaming of being able to use only my rack case and iPad as a portable rig, and now I use cvquenser and, AUM as Mixer with effects, fantastic.

I might be doing wrong because I haven’t used it much, but one thing I think would be cool would be to be able to send Different midi input channels to different layers, a midi input channel per layer instead of now a midi input for everything, and play the other layers simultaneously. I sent midi from steppolyarp from AUM, and it actually worked, but it takes over every layer I’m on. It would be cool to be able to send an arp to one of the layers For evolving pattern, and sequence the others as usual on top. But I’m just dreaming, it’s an fantastic app.

Another thing that would be cool, is a similar app, that could receive a few midi channels, and translate it to cv with es-8, 9, I would pay a lot of money for such An app, there’s no such app existing for the iPad.

Fantastic app, I love it, keep up the good work.
    Regards Hans

I will upload some tests soon

• I’m so sad for your loss, my condolences.
    Regards Hans

• @bobbfett said:
    I might be doing wrong because I haven’t used it much, but one thing I think would be cool would be to be able to send Different midi input channels to different layers, a midi input channel per layer instead of now a midi input for everything, and play the other layers simultaneously. I sent midi from steppolyarp from AUM, and it actually worked, but it takes over every layer I’m on. It would be cool to be able to send an arp to one of the layers For evolving pattern, and sequence the others as usual on top.

At the moment the MIDI input transposes all the layers simultaneously. I'll take a look at what would be involved in getting each layer to respond to a different channel when I'm doing the next round of updates.

Another thing that would be cool, is a similar app, that could receive a few midi channels, and translate it to cv with es-8, 9, I would pay a lot of money for such An app, there’s no such app existing for the iPad.

I'm working on pretty much exactly that at the moment. ;) If I don't run into any unexpected problems there should be a beta available via TestFlight in about two weeks.

Thank you, glad you like the app. :)

• @bobbfett said:
    Yes, at last, what an app. I’ve been waiting for this, at last a great midi app that does the cv out from es-9 and 8 on the iPad, it’s been missing for ages, and it’s a great Sequenzer, thank you so much, amazing.
    I’m running an euro rack with es-9, and I’ve been dreaming of being able to use only my rack case and iPad as a portable rig, and now I use cvquenser and, AUM as Mixer with effects, fantastic.

I might be doing wrong because I haven’t used it much, but one thing I think would be cool would be to be able to send Different midi input channels to different layers, a midi input channel per layer instead of now a midi input for everything, and play the other layers simultaneously. I sent midi from steppolyarp from AUM, and it actually worked, but it takes over every layer I’m on. It would be cool to be able to send an arp to one of the layers For evolving pattern, and sequence the others as usual on top. But I’m just dreaming, it’s an fantastic app.

Regards Hans

I will upload some tests soon

Do you have videos of this? Want to do same when I get ES9 in future. Are you using CVSequencer on same iPad as AUM and switching between them?

• @auxmux said:
    Do you have videos of this? Want to do same when I get ES9 in future. Are you using CVSequencer on same iPad as AUM and switching between them?

You'll be able to do CV/Gate in AUM fairly soon. ;)

• @AlanC3 said:

@auxmux said:

Wowwww, what?

• @auxmux said:
    Wowwww, what?

AUv3 MIDI to CV/Gate converter.

AUM is the best host right now thanks to the latest version supporting AU's with multiple output busses (a big thank you to @j_liljedahl for letting me join the beta), but I also have it working in Cubasis 2, so it should run fine in most hosts.

• I haven’t taken the plunge yet but will do on pay day.

Very exciting app, I couldn’t help noticing the note in the App Store about AUv3 not being viable because of the lack of multi audio. Obviously that changed quite recently. Does this development mean a AUv3 update is on the cards? I will purchase regardless.

Also can scale quantisation be deactivated to free tuning?

The MIDI to CV conversion app sounds very enticing too.

I have read about your bereavement, my condolences.

Your pioneering application is very exciting.

• @AlanC3 said:

@auxmux said:
    Wowwww, what?

AUM is the best host right now thanks to the latest version supporting AU's with multiple output busses (a big thank you to @j_liljedahl for letting me join the beta), but I also have it working in Cubasis 2, so it should run fine in most hosts.

Omg, yes it will be so amazing, opens up new worlds, thank you.

• @auxmux said:

I’m not at home, so I’m fa away from my rack, but I made a video with only the iPad, here I’m sending an arp to the transpose.

• edited February 2020

And here is an arp recorded, this is what I meant would be cool if I was able to record on one layer, and sequence and play the other layers at the same time as usual. But the other app will be wonderful for that, fantastic, can’t wait, instabuy.
    Br Hans

• @AlanC3 said:

@auxmux said:
    Wowwww, what?

Awesome news! Looking forward to that!

Thanks for the videos @bobbfett

• @AlanC3 said:

@auxmux said:

I’ve been thinking about your new app and the possibilities are huge, there are so many cool sequencers and midi modifiers you could combine and use on iPad. A hardware euro sequencer is so expensive and you only have one type of sequencer, with this it’s limitless. I’m thinking of cvquencer, mozaik, mirack, steppollyarp, polyphase, fugue Maschine, atom, Cality, etc etc.
    I don’t think many people realise what a multi eurorack tool an iPad could bee, and I think with your new app will be absolutely pioneering this area.
    Amazing work

• edited February 2020

true, an iPad is a very powerful 'module' for modular synthesis, especially as a sequencer. And it's also true that this combination is not commonly used. Probably because of interfacing.

By the way, nice sequences you've created.

• @bobbfett said:
    And here is an arp recorded, this is what I meant would be cool if I was able to record on one layer, and sequence and play the other layers at the same time as usual.

I'd misunderstood what you were asking for there - I though you were wanting to be able to transpose the layers independently using different midi channels; this is being able to input notes via MIDI while the sequence is running. Since the sequencer is fully interactive while it's playing this should be doable. Again, it's something I'll take a look at when I'm doing the next round of updates.

Meanwhile, back to the MIDI to CV/Gate converter...

• edited February 2020

@AlanC3 Now I got home and wanted to test it properly. I have a problem, gates work, sending mod cv works, but when calibrating the cv it seems to stop before it has ended the process. I can see that it sends cv, i don’t hear anything and it doesn’t register, butI can hear the sinewave sweep if I listen through AUM. It seems that it never saves the calibration, or cvquenser never gets the input channel. (the two vids don’t sync). I have tested with different input channels, and different oscillators, and with everything else On iPad is off and in flight mode. If i turn on AUM I can pick any of my imput channels and I get sound. What can I be doing wrong, hmm.
    Es-9 output channels are 9-16 inputs 1-14.

I’m on iPad Pro, latest iOS, es-9.
    Sorry for my message bombing, I will keep calm in the future, I’m just so happy for this app.
    Br Hans

Tested a bit more today, turned anything off that could disturb. It definitely doesn’t connect to the inputs on the es-9, I get the same if I pull out the cable. Strange, because it should work, es-8 and es-9 has the same numbering on the inputs, according to the manuals, hmm.

• It looks like there's no audio reaching the app at all. If you'd selected an input with nothing connected to it then the small amounts of noise from the interface would give a random, jagged graph, but this isn't producing anything.

Could you try again without any other audio apps running, please?

I don't have an ES-9, but from a quick look at the manual it appears everything is connected OK: output 9 (labelled 1) definitely has the CV signal since I can see the LED changing as it steps through the positive side of the voltage range, and output 10 has the gate.

The problem is definitely on the input side: the LED on input 1 is showing a signal, but the app isn't picking it up, so it stops the calibration after running from 0V to the maximum positive voltage the ES-9 can produce. I'm going to read through the ES-9 manual to see if I can spot anything that might be the cause.

• So having read through the ES-9 manual, a question: have you used the configuration tool to modify the routings in any way?

And one thing to try: if you connect the oscillator to input 1 and then run AUM can you see/hear the signal on channel 1?

I'm honestly a bit baffled by this: if a signal was getting through then, even if the levels were way out of range you should see something on the calibration graph. The fact the calibration stops after running through the positive side of the voltage range, that nothing shows up on the graph, and that it doesn't save, suggests there's absolutely no audio getting through to the app.

• edited February 2020

@AlanC3 said:
    So having read through the ES-9 manual, a question: have you used the configuration tool to modify the routings in any way?

And one thing to try: if you connect the oscillator to input 1 and then run AUM can you see/hear the signal on channel 1?

I'm honestly a bit baffled by this: if a signal was getting through then, even if the levels were way out of range you should see something on the calibration graph. The fact the calibration stops after running through the positive side of the voltage range, that nothing shows up on the graph, and that it doesn't save, suggests there's absolutely no audio getting through to the app.

So now I tried without any other apps running, and I have the same problem.
    I also tried with input 9 to 14, because there I have disabled the dc blocking filters on the internal mixer. I have done that because I get more accurate cv input signals when disabling them (it’s in the manual), so i thought I would try nr 9, just in case.
    Everything else is on standard settings, and I use it with vcv rack all the time on my pc.
    The strange thing is that you can see and hear that I get signal in AUM, from both 9 and 1, I’m switching the patch cable between them.
    Hmm, I’m baffled too, It should work. Are the input named differently on es-8 and 9, could I look that up somehow. If you want me to try something out I would be happy to help. I live in Sweden so there’s a time delay (middle of the night now), so if you don’t mind late reply’s. I downloaded TestFlight, but I have never used it.

• Thanks for doing that, and for being willing to help me find the cause. I'm in the UK, by the way, so you're 1 hour ahead of me.

There are no problems with the ES-9. The fact AUM is picking up the signal on inputs 1 and 9 shows everything is OK, and the input channel numbers used by CVquencer should be identical, so it has to be something else.

Easy one first:

• Open Settings and select CVquencer in the list on the left.
    • Check that the option to allow the app access to the microphone is enabled.

This option actually enables or disables all audio input to the app, so if it's off the calibration process won't work.

If that doesn't work please could you record a short section of audio from the oscillator (just one or two seconds) with nothing connected to the CV input, save it as a WAV or AIFF and upload it to Dropbox or some other file sharing service so I can take a look to see if there's anything unusual about the waveform that could be causing the calibration to fail.

• edited February 2020

@AlanC3 This was extremely embarrassing, that was it, the microphone was disabled. And I’m taking your time from working on your new app, really sorry. One thing I notice, is that it calibrates a steeper curve than in the manual, both on the ts-l and Dreadbox whiteline Osc, but now it works really well, thank you for your help, amazing support, and sorry again.

• No problems. :) I'm really glad that's all it was, and I don't know why I didn't immediately think of that option as the most likely cause.

The graph is fine. It shows the voltage on the horizontal axis and the notes on the vertical axis: if the line goes from bottom to top then the calibration has covered the full 8 octaves. The ES-9 goes -10V to +10V, or 20 octaves at 1V per octave, so only part of that range is needed. That makes the curve look steeper than in the examples in the help file.

It's possible to limit the voltages the calibration routine outputs by changing the CV Maximum value on the dialog. For example, setting the value to 0.5 would mean the ES-9 would output half its maximum voltage, going from -5V to +5V, but if everything is in tune with the value set to 1.0 then this isn't necessary.

• Thank you so much for the explanations and tips n tricks, and for the support. As I said before, you’re apps are pioneering iPad and euro solutions. Thank you

• @bobbfett said:

I’ve been thinking about your new app and the possibilities are huge, there are so many cool sequencers and midi modifiers you could combine and use on iPad. A hardware euro sequencer is so expensive and you only have one type of sequencer, with this it’s limitless. I’m thinking of cvquencer, mozaik, mirack, steppollyarp, polyphase, fugue Maschine, atom, Cality, etc etc.
    I don’t think many people realise what a multi eurorack tool an iPad could bee, and I think with your new app will be absolutely pioneering this area.
    Amazing work

Velcro on the back of an iPad Mini -> velcro on the top and bottom rails... Should basically 'fit' with a little spill. Most powerful 40HP sequencer available? :tongue: