Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

DigiStix vs EG Pulse

Comments

• @chisel316 said:

@gregsmith said:

@chisel316 said:
    How easy is it to configure general MIDI mapping of the drums with these apps? I have a workflow where I use Xequence 2 to trigger the drums in Beathawk. The problem is BH doesn't allow you to change the MIDI mapping, so i end up having to rearrange the pads instead.

Thanks,
    chisel316

I think it’s fairly easy in digistix, but I just ended up making a drum map in xequence instead

That's interesting. I thought the X2 drum map was for mapping the internal drum pads, I didn't realize you could use it to remap the MIDI output.

It just decides what notes the pads play, so as long as you know what notes digistix / pulse pads are, you’re good to go

• @gregsmith said:

@chisel316 said:

@gregsmith said:

@chisel316 said:
    How easy is it to configure general MIDI mapping of the drums with these apps? I have a workflow where I use Xequence 2 to trigger the drums in Beathawk. The problem is BH doesn't allow you to change the MIDI mapping, so i end up having to rearrange the pads instead.

Thanks,
    chisel316

I think it’s fairly easy in digistix, but I just ended up making a drum map in xequence instead

That's interesting. I thought the X2 drum map was for mapping the internal drum pads, I didn't realize you could use it to remap the MIDI output.

It just decides what notes the pads play, so as long as you know what notes digistix / pulse pads are, you’re good to go

So if I import a MIDI file into X2 that has a GM drum track, I can use the X2 drum mapper to remap the notes in this track to any arbitrary notes that get sent through MIDI out to my drum app? I have to take a closer look at the manual because I didn't think this was possible. Thanks!

• This thread is exactly what I needed. I'm about to make this decision between these 2. Honestly surprised 4Pockets is so close although it's cheaper.

• wimwim
    edited October 2019

@chisel316 said:
    So if I import a MIDI file into X2 that has a GM drum track, I can use the X2 drum mapper to remap the notes in this track to any arbitrary notes that get sent through MIDI out to my drum app? I have to take a closer look at the manual because I didn't think this was possible. Thanks!

No, it definitely doesn’t do that.
    As @gregsmith said, it’s just a way of making drum pad surfaces that send the notes you want.

You can use something like mfxConvert to translate GM between X2 and apps that don’t have the ability to map notes to pads. But it needs to be set up for each app since they all follow different conventions.

An app that has a library of common GM to App conversions would be nice to have. I started to do one in Mozaic, but it’s so tedious trying to come up with good mappings for 127 possible GM notes to sensible mappings for other apps that have only 8 pads or so that I lost interest.

• edited October 2019

@chisel316 said:

@gregsmith said:

@chisel316 said:

@gregsmith said:

@chisel316 said:

Thanks,
    chisel316

I have several gm drum patterns made in different apps imported into X2 and just changed the mapping in Digistix to respond to gm from X2 then saved it as a kit. When I want to change a sound on this kit I use references and save it as a song. I will probably sample my favourite drum sounds from Beathawk into Digistix as and when I need them.

• @sisterkate said:

@chisel316 said:

@gregsmith said:

@chisel316 said:

@gregsmith said:

@chisel316 said:

Thanks,
    chisel316

I have several gm drum patterns made in different apps imported into X2 and just changed the mapping in Digistix to respond to gm from X2 then saved it as a kit. When I want to change a sound on this kit I use references and save it as a song. I will probably sample my favourite drum sounds from Beathawk into Digistix as and when I need them.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I really appreciate it. @sisterkate Sounds like this is the same workflow I would use. I guess DigiStix is the way to go then if I want to move on from using BH.

• @chisel316 said:

@sisterkate said:

@chisel316 said:

@gregsmith said:

@chisel316 said:

@gregsmith said:

@chisel316 said:

Thanks,
    chisel316

Thanks everyone for your replies. I really appreciate it. @sisterkate Sounds like this is the same workflow I would use. I guess DigiStix is the way to go then if I want to move on from using BH.

Pulse allows you to map the notes too. So that shouldn’t be a deciding factor between the two.

• @wim said:

@chisel316 said:

@sisterkate said:

@chisel316 said:

@gregsmith said:

@chisel316 said:

@gregsmith said:

@chisel316 said:

Thanks,
    chisel316

Pulse allows you to map the notes too. So that shouldn’t be a deciding factor between the two.

Can you manually change the note mappings or does it have to be via midi learn?

• Manually.

• @wim said:
    Manually.

Oh cool. That was one of my beta requests but we never saw another build. It must have been updated in production.

• wimwim
    edited October 2019

@gusgranite said:

@wim said:
    Manually.

Oh cool. That was one of my beta requests but we never saw another build. It must have been updated in production.

Oops. I am wrong. Only by midi learn.
    Though that's not even a small problem to me.

• @wim said:

@gusgranite said:

@wim said:
    Manually.

Minor issue if you can manually hit the drumpads like on hardware but it made mapping a live sequencer like Rozeta X0X almost impossible. Maybe I was doing it wrong?

• wimwim
    edited October 2019

@gusgranite said:

@wim said:

@gusgranite said:

@wim said:
    Manually.

Minor issue if you can manually hit the drumpads like on hardware but it made mapping a live sequencer like Rozeta X0X almost impossible. Maybe I was doing it wrong?

Simply playing the notes on the keyboard of any host I can think of gets around the XOX issue easily. B)
    Ya' just gotta think outside the xox, Gus!

• @wim said:

@gusgranite said:

@wim said:

@gusgranite said:

@wim said:
    Manually.

Simply playing the notes on the keyboard of any host I can think of gets around the XOX issue easily. B)
    Ya' just gotta think outside the xox, Gus!

Ha. You’re right!

• @sisterkate said:

I bought DigiStix tonight. I created a drumkit with GM mapping from X2. It works with the kit if I don't make any changes, but if I try to replace a sample (either by reference or permanently), I lose the MIDI mapping. How are you retaining the MIDI mapping in DigiStix?

Thanks!

• edited October 2019

@chisel316 said:

@sisterkate said:

I bought DigiStix tonight. I created a drumkit with GM mapping from X2. It works with the kit if I don't make any changes, but if I try to replace a sample (either by reference or permanently), I lose the MIDI mapping. How are you retaining the MIDI mapping in DigiStix?

Thanks!

I went back to Digix to see if I could do it again. I replaced a snare permanently. I had to map it again and save the altered kit. Then I pressed play on X2 and the gm pattern played back this time with the new snare.

I also tried to map a reference but this time I could not. It seemed to work when I first did it. I am still experimenting with the mapping both in Dstix and X2.

Hope you can make it work by replacing your sample.

• @sisterkate Thanks for the reply. It would be nice if DigiStix saved the MIDI mapping separately so you could flip through the kits without losing your mapping. I tried starting with an Init kit and to my surprise, it doesn't even give you the option to MIDI map! Apparently, this feature is only available if you already have a sample permanently loaded on the pad.

How does EG Pulse handle MIDI mapping? Is it as restrictive as DigiStix?

• I’m assuming no-one else uses DigiStix with GarageBand?

I find host sync gets really choppy when any other Auv3 in the project is opened.
    Also when using the GarageBand keyboard instead of pads, random hits will play the sample reversed, Around 1 in 5 key presses will do this.

I have neither issue in Cubasis or AUM

• @chisel316 in EG Pulse the MIDI map is saved together with the drumkit, so basically you can have a different MIDI map for each drumkit. For more info see the EG Pulse related thread or write me at [email protected] :)

• @ElliottGarage said:
    @chisel316 in EG Pulse the MIDI map is saved together with the drumkit, so basically you can have a different MIDI map for each drumkit. For more info see the EG Pulse related thread or write me at [email protected] :)

Thanks for the reply. The problem with this is that you can't flip through drum kits to audition them with your song.

• wimwim
    edited October 2019

@chisel316 said:

@ElliottGarage said:
    @chisel316 in EG Pulse the MIDI map is saved together with the drumkit, so basically you can have a different MIDI map for each drumkit. For more info see the EG Pulse related thread or write me at [email protected] :)

Thanks for the reply. The problem with this is that you can't flip through drum kits to audition them with your song.

You can if they all have the same mappings. But yeh, I kinda see what you mean.

You could keep all kits at the default mapping, and use mfxConvert to do the remapping. That’s my usual approach with all drum apps. The mfxConvert mappings can be saved as presets.

• @wim said:

@chisel316 said:

@ElliottGarage said:

You could keep all kits at the default mapping, and use mfxConvert to do the remapping. That’s my usual approach with all drum apps. The mfxConvert mappings can be saved as presets.

Yeah, that sounds like a decent solution. Thanks for the suggestion.

Peace \/
    chisel316

• edited October 2019

DigiStix vs EG Pulse

Both will record samples within an effects slot in AUM.

I know I can extract my custom samples I make in EG Pulse, by opening the exported kit file in AudioShare.

Is there an easy way to export "sharable" individual sound files of your custom samples in DigiStix?

In my attempts so far, exporting yields a file with ".spatch" extension. I don't know if DigiStix has the ability to export custom samples?

• wimwim
    edited October 2019

@chisel316 said:

@wim said:

@chisel316 said:

@ElliottGarage said:

Yeah, that sounds like a decent solution. Thanks for the suggestion.

Peace \/
    chisel316

A Mozaic script that could be a sort of Universal Translator between GM and different drum apps is badly needed. Sadly, the only person I know of that has attempted this has pretty much lost interest due to how tedious it is trying to make meaningful maps from 127 possible GM notes to apps with only 8 pads that can each be anything from a Kick to a Cowbell.

(That person happens to be me, and he is so far being pig-headed about returning to the project. I've kinda lost confidence in him at this point.)

• Hi all, what’s the current opinion on this comparison now? Both apps have had a fair bit of development since release, and I’m considering an AU drum machine purchase.

I need:
    1. Midi mapping for controller pads
    2. Midi cc assign for use with Rozeta XOX and Rozeta Rhythm
    3. Good humanising features like random and ‘rotate’ (I’m an ex-patterning user)
    4. Decent kits!

Thanks.

• Would be interested to know this also. Would be using with Xequence so not so much interest in sequencer features but would like to know if all (inc. master) fx parameters are exposed and basic ones like pan/ vol etc.
    Digistix fx look to be better and it’s cheaper...
    Don’t own any apps by either dev so nothing to go on in terms of quality...

• @Zerozerozero said:
    Would be interested to know this also. Would be using with Xequence so not so much interest in sequencer features but would like to know if all (inc. master) fx parameters are exposed and basic ones like pan/ vol etc.
    Digistix fx look to be better and it’s cheaper...
    Don’t own any apps by either dev so nothing to go on in terms of quality...

I found DigiStix to be unstable in Cubasis 2 earlier this year - the UI would disappear never to return. I’ve not seen this with any other plug-in.

• I found DigiStix to be unstable in Cubasis 2 earlier this year - the UI would disappear never to return. I’ve not seen this with any other plug-in.

Yeah, read some comments in another thread about instability/bugs but sounded like an update had fixed this.
    Also read that Pulse is currently having some issues.
    If BeatHawk went multi out that would solve my problem !
    iOS sampling always seems tricky to some degree..🤔

• Hi!
    I purchased EG Pulse only to find it doesn’t do multiple velocity samples / layers.
    I went for EG Pulse because DigiStix can’t/couldn’t do pattern switch via midi cc, which is I believe a very basic functionality. So I solicited a refund and don’t have DigiStix anymore. Now I find EG pulse is missing the other part of the puzzle (velocity layers).
    Has this pattern switching feature addressed by any chance?.
    I can’t understand how this is not a critical feature. I see they’ve added a random pattern. So you can change patterns to “who knows” but not from “verse” to “chorus”?.

I’ve got half a dozen sampling thingies yet they’re all missing something critical or the workflow is overkill for a drum machine use. DigiStix is the closest, if only It could change patterns via cc... internal sequencer makes no sense in DAW or LK usage without pattern changing.

Anyone here with buddy access to the great 4pockets Paul that can make this happen?.

Cheers!

• edited November 2020

With digistix you can just tap in a beat and record it into the sequencer, can you do the same with pulse?

Edit: just saw a video, it seems that, yes, you can.