Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

DigiStix vs EG Pulse

Can anybody who has puchased them both tell the differences? Or are there not really differences and can I can for the cheapest (DigiStix)?

Comments

• @greengrocer said:
    Can anybody who has puchased them both tell the differences? Or are there not really differences and can I can for the cheapest (DigiStix)?

I'm in a similar dilemma. I don't think there's a great deal between them (from what I can see from the vids), aside from price, but personally I prefer the EG Pulse UI and workflow. There did seem to be a lot of reports of crashes with DigiStix too, though they may have been fixed in recent updates. Look forward to reading what the oners have to say.

• @MonzoPro said:

@greengrocer said:

I'm in a similar dilemma. I don't think there's a great deal between them (from what I can see from the vids), aside from price, but personally I prefer the EG Pulse UI and workflow. There did seem to be a lot of reports of crashes with DigiStix too, though they may have been fixed in recent updates. Look forward to reading what the oners have to say.

The crashes have been fixed I think.

They are both developing so quickly that it is really hard to choose between them. More updates on the way.

• I only have Digistix but it hasn’t crashed on me at all.

• dramatically different workflow and GUI paradigms.

Which one is better is very subjective Just have to go with your gut.

At least these devs didn’t Drambo us 😀

• Have purchased both as I was off ill for a few days and, why not? Was thinking to get a refund for Pulse as it didn't appear to give me much at all that I didn't get already from DigiStix but I will probably keep it as they both have been pretty active on the forum. Did some sampling with DigiStix which is pretty cool but then got distracted by miRack and haven't given either the attention they deserve. Making noises in miRack to immediately use in DigiStix would be pretty cool if miRack ever gets audio out.

• Oh and DigiStix worked out of the box with Rozeta XOX and Rhythm, as far as I could tell. Don't know about pulse but the kits seemed to be upside down sometimes.

• @gusgranite said:

Ah cool, good to hear.

@Jocphone said:
    Have purchased both as I was off ill for a few days and, why not? Was thinking to get a refund for Pulse as it didn't appear to give me much at all that I didn't get already from DigiStix but I will probably keep it as they both have been pretty active on the forum.

How do they compare CPU resource-wise?

• @MonzoPro said:

@gusgranite said:

Ah cool, good to hear.

@Jocphone said:
    Have purchased both as I was off ill for a few days and, why not? Was thinking to get a refund for Pulse as it didn't appear to give me much at all that I didn't get already from DigiStix but I will probably keep it as they both have been pretty active on the forum.

Not sure. Wouldn't have thought either would be CPU hogs as playing back samples doesn't take too much calculation but I can have a play later to check if you like.

• EG PUlse is “slicker” UI but I have been going back to DigiStix more. Some little nagging issues with due to my workflow. Also digistix is half the price.

You know you will end up getting both eventually!
    Both are awesome

Both have been solid in standalone mode for me. Haven’t tested much in AU.

• Do either of these apps drive other drum machines? Seems that what's missing in iOS is a good AU drum sequencer, not the drum sounds, no?
    It sounds backwards to me to want to drive DigiStix with Rozeta XoX or Rhythm.

• edited September 2019

@ExAsperis99 said:
    Do either of these apps drive other drum machines? Seems that what's missing in iOS is a good AU drum sequencer, not the drum sounds, no?
    It sounds backwards to me to want to drive DigiStix with Rozeta XoX or Rhythm.

Octachron is nearly perfect drum sequencer because you can 8 midi cc per track in a addition to midi note out. So, 64 midi cc per instance.

• I never gave Octachron its due. I tried it once and had a sync issue. It was obviously out of time. I swapped to Rozeta XOX (I basically needed a kick/snare) and it worked perfectly. I must have done something wrong. Just dove back in, and it's quite elaborate. Wish I could get it to work with DM2, but that's always been a problem.....

• Octachron is great, really liking Pulse too, but haven't had enough time to use it much yet, waiting also for midi out and polyrhythyms.

I don't have Digistix so can't comment but even though I appreciate the developers apps and support, I'm not a big fan of his gui design which is one reason I waited for Pulse.

• edited September 2019

I initially found Digistix “punchier” than Pulse.

I think for two reasons Digistix has louder default volume and the pads visual fade animation is slightly slower on Pulse.

• I have both and they’re both good. At the moment I probably slightly prefer digistix because while it doesn’t look as immediately slick as EG, and I’m not really a fan of of 4pockets guis, either, the app allows you to get things done really quickly. That said, there are too many message boxes in DigiStix, which I hope the dev sorts out, e.g. a message box you have to ok when you click save, followed by another message box telling that it’s saved, and so on. But aside from these little annoyances it’s quick to get stuff done. EG looks nice and has some really nice features, but I don’t think they’re yet - as well implemented as DigiStix, and the EG workflow gui also has little issues, e.g. saving takes too many steps, and I’ve been saving often because I’ve had quite a few crashes with it. DigiStix had lots of crashes on release but these seem to have been ironed now out, meaning that it’s pretty solid. Hope this helps. Both are really impressive, though, so thumbs up to both devs.

• edited September 2019

Speaking about sound, Digitix is far better as it allow round robin or velocity mapping of samples.

• @Jocphone said:

@MonzoPro said:

@gusgranite said:

Ah cool, good to hear.

@Jocphone said:

Not sure. Wouldn't have thought either would be CPU hogs as playing back samples doesn't take too much calculation but I can have a play later to check if you like.

No don’t worry, thanks for the offer though.

DigiStix seems to be getting a lot of good feedback in this thread, so likely I’ll grab it tomorrow.

• edited September 2019

Does digistix have filters per pad? And is it only one Bank/16pads?

• @MonzoPro said:

@Jocphone said:

@MonzoPro said:

@gusgranite said:

Ah cool, good to hear.

@Jocphone said:

DigiStix seems to be getting a lot of good feedback in this thread, so likely I’ll grab it tomorrow.

I don’t think you’ll be disappointed. Tried quickly with Rozeta Rhythm powering the first kit in AUM, cpu was around 26%, duplicated both those but with a different, cpu not much different. Added in 8 more Rhythms and DigiStix. All playing a different beat with different drum kits. CPU stays at around 28%. Adding more doesn’t seem to stress the cpu any further.

• edited September 2019

EG Pulse hands down has the better workflow of the two. It feels and plays like a drum sampler. DigiStix is feature rich but the workflow is counter intuitive for a drum machine. It’s like nothing else, and that isn’t necessarily a good thing.

This is entirely my opinion of course, but DigiStix hasn’t inspired anything in me to create, whereas EG Pulse had me hanging out until the wee hours to create this little groove:

• edited September 2019

@echoopera said:
    EG Pulse hands down has the better workflow of the two. It feels and plays like a drum sampler. DigiStix is feature rich but the workflow is counter intuitive for a drum machine. It’s like nothing else, and that isn’t necessarily a good thing.

This is entirely my opinion of course, but DigiStix hasn’t inspired anything in me to create, whereas EG Pulse had me hanging out until the wee hours to create this little groove:

FWIW, I had exactly the opposite experience--and I went in much preferring the aesthetic of Pulse (it's beautiful!). It also reminds me of BM3 in some ways, which I like. But in my day to day creative process, digistix is what I reach for and I can't really put my finger on why but it just clicks. This could change as we see the transient detection and slice to pad features coming on line. But yeah, pretty surprised that I have gravitated to digistix. Note that I don't use on screen pads for finger drumming--pulse is the winner there for sure

• @echoopera said:

Another example of different strokes for different folks! I find DigiStix completely intuitive although I’d like to see a couple of tweaks. Pulse, not so much. I need to spend more time with it while I was knocking out interesting stuff with Digi pretty quickly. All of our brains are wired differently that’s for sure! This is a prime example of the need for a trial period. I think I’d be willing to pay more for apps knowing I can work with them rather than take a chance. I’ve spent plenty on apps I’ll never use. Of course this has been discussed extensively in other threads.

• @echoopera said:

This is entirely my opinion of course, but DigiStix hasn’t inspired anything in me to create,

Lol I have the complete opposite experience. I’m doing the best drum programming of my life with DigiStix

• edited September 2019

We all should just use what works for us. This is the beauty of iOS. 👊🏼™️ Plus once something is in AUM or AB the juice begins to flow.

• I’m looking forward to the updates for EG Pulse. For me, these will put it in a different class. As far as DigiStix, it’s clunky looking, but there are things about the layout that I appreciate- everything is actually pretty easy to get to. It also has filters and arguably better effects.

One thing about EG Pulse - when I copy a pattern, the automation doesn’t copy as well - this is a little frustrating. Am I missing something?

• @echoopera said:

Just wanted to say I thought this was beautiful (and a reminder to me to think more broadly about what drum apps can do!)

I bought both and had just assumed I would immediately so there was never a decision struggle haha. They lead you in different directions which I think makes them a great well-timed 2-pack.

• @marmakin said:

@echoopera said:

Just wanted to say I thought this was beautiful (and a reminder to me to think more broadly about what drum apps can do!)

I bought both and had just assumed I would immediately so there was never a decision struggle haha. They lead you in different directions which I think makes them a great well-timed 2-pack.

Thanks for the comment and for enjoying it.

What’s truly beautiful about the iOS platform is that there is about 5 ways to perform the same workflow. I love that developers put their heart mind and spirit into the great apps they create for us.

• To be fair, that video could also be done with Beathawk in AUM, or with BM3 alone. The thread title could have included a "vs BH" if saving some money is of interest:)

I'm a little concerned with the UI of Pulse and its seemingly disconnect with what you see and what you hear. As a potential buyer you look at videos, see the blue highlight running across the 16 pads at the bottom, expecting them to trigger a sound when it crosses a red or yellow box, then being puzzled when that doesn't happen. I get that it is a storer of patterns and fills, being re-used so that a pattern box instead indicates step position with the blue runner (?), and maybe this makes sense if you come from hardware boxes. Sofware can do better, though.
    That, and the awkard use of "Read" and "Proba" buttons, and some seemingly Snap awkwardness, has kept me on the fence for now.

Digistix looks quite intuitive, has layer support and midi out from the sequencer, but I'd like to see general midi CC support in the controller view before considering. Beathawk is already doing fine in this area.

• @Jocphone said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Jocphone said:

@MonzoPro said:

@gusgranite said:

Ah cool, good to hear.

@Jocphone said:

I don’t think you’ll be disappointed. Tried quickly with Rozeta Rhythm powering the first kit in AUM, cpu was around 26%, duplicated both those but with a different, cpu not much different. Added in 8 more Rhythms and DigiStix. All playing a different beat with different drum kits. CPU stays at around 28%. Adding more doesn’t seem to stress the cpu any further.

Are you still on an Air2?

One instance would be fine for me, I just want to get some AU drum action in AUM, though the sample playing has potential.

Good thread this, didn't mean to hijack Mr Greengrocer's original post, but it's all meat for the gravy. DigiStix is holding up well, and despite Echoopera's tempting vid, I think DigiStix is the one for me.

• @MonzoPro said:

@Jocphone said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Jocphone said:

@MonzoPro said:

@gusgranite said:

Ah cool, good to hear.

@Jocphone said:

Are you still on an Air2?

One instance would be fine for me, I just want to get some AU drum action in AUM, though the sample playing has potential.

Good thread this, didn't mean to hijack Mr Greengrocer's original post, but it's all meat for the gravy. DigiStix is holding up well, and despite Echoopera's tempting vid, I think DigiStix is the one for me.

I never had an Air2, was on the original Air(1) until last year when I bought a base model iPad 32GB.

As for many instances, I think you will soon realise the attraction once you have several kits going. And then several more with random samples..