Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

The END of IAA? | Inter App Audio Deprecated | haQ attaQ

Apple is deprecating Inter App Audio aka IAA in iOS 13 in favour of AUv3! So it seems that the IAA protocol has hit its end game, but what does that really mean for iOS based music producers?

To answer this question I got in contact with several prominent app developers, who's apps most mobile musicians know about, due to their importance for the iOS music production scene. Want to know what the future holds?

haQattaQ

«1

Comments

  • APPLE

    Shitting on music making customers since 2015

  • @RUST( i )K said:
    APPLE

    Shitting on music making customers since 2015

    Don't really agree here. We've got better tools today compared to what we had in 2015...

  • @RUST( i )K said:
    APPLE

    Shitting on music making customers since 2015

    Headphone jack discontinuation lead to so much grief :neutral:

  • edited September 17

    Yep but IAA still works in iOS13, right?
    Still, I believe this will be the end for many great audio apps sooner or later because many (now mostly inactive) developers won't update their apps to AUv3.

  • edited September 17

    @rs2000 said:
    Yep but IAA still works in iOS13, right?
    Still, I believe

    It would be many years before IAA is completely removed from iOS but apparently no more maintenance or enhancements to it.

  • I'm getting so much more done with AUs and using it professionally is much easier now.
    IAA is a workaround if no AU is available. Useful to have it but I don't miss the annoying workflow. :)

  • @MobileMusic said:

    @rs2000 said:
    Yep but IAA still works in iOS13, right?
    Still, I believe

    It would be many years before IAA is completely removed from iOS but apparently no more maintenance or enhancements to it.

    No more enhancements but maintenance will largely depend on customer feedback. There were APIs and system calls deprecated in MacOS in 2003 or 2004 that continued to be maintained (and bugs fixed when they appeared) as a late as 2018 because those calls were used by enough apps (these were sound-related, btw) that Apple maintained them for a lot longer than anticipated.

    I suspect IAA won't stick around that long but they already addressed some IAA-specific bugs in the 13.1 beta.

  • Thanks Jakob. Get better!

  • I’m just sad that those lovely Lumbeat drum apps will one day disappear.

  • @TimRussell said:
    I’m just sad that those lovely Lumbeat drum apps will one day disappear.

    There are workarounds now and they will still exist for years to enable IAA Apps
    to continue to delight IOS users. I do not expect Luis Martinez to quit supporting his apps
    anytime soon. There is a poll going around for another Drum Style we would like to
    buy/use.

    Deprecate doesn't have the consequences too many fear. We're basically counseling
    folks through the loss of some future ill-defined capability. Fundamentally it's the fear of change and the unknown. I see a bright future with IOS 13 providing many needed improvements for file use and parallel scaling. Something might break and undoing updates has always been an Apple problem but the overall progress should be positive.

    Wait for confirmation from the early adopters and turn off automatic IOS updates to be safe.

  • edited September 17

    I alluded to this in another thread, but it's just the word 'deprecate' that has everybody in an over-reacting tizzy. Oooh, exotic! It's like a classic Simpsons gag.

  • McDMcD
    edited September 17

    @oat_phipps said:
    I alluded to this in another thread, but it's just the word 'deprecate' that has everybody in an over-reacting tizzy. Oooh, exotic! It's like a classic Simpsons gag.

    I have been deprecated so many times I can't cope. Sometimes 2-3 times in a day.
    Still... I persist in my optimism that I'm OK. Just turn off self-criticism and forge ahead without mirrors, photography or recording devices. It's not denial... it's self-preservation.

    However, is rumored there is a better world ahead (for some believers). Just don't bet the farm on it, folks. "Don't immanentize the eschaton."

  • edited September 17

    Excellent news. IAA is that half-baked, buggy, not really suitable solution that is now being replaced by AUv3, which works better in so many ways. In the long run, this will force devs to support AUv3 which is good for everyone.

    And the difference between deprecate and no longer supported could be as short as 1-2 update cycles, so better be prepared and invest in AUv3 instead of IAA....

  • @DavidM said:
    Excellent news. IAA is that half-baked, buggy, not really suitable solution that is now being replaced by AUv3, which works better in so many ways. In the long run, this will force devs to support AUv3 which is good for everyone.

    And the difference between deprecate and no longer supported could be as short as 1-2 update cycles, so better be prepared and invest in AUv3 instead of IAA....

    Only AU offers no host to host communication...and some apps make sense as hosts. And sometimes one wants those hosts to communicate.

  • @McD said:

    @TimRussell said:
    I’m just sad that those lovely Lumbeat drum apps will one day disappear.

    There are workarounds now and they will still exist for years to enable IAA Apps
    to continue to delight IOS users. I do not expect Luis Martinez to quit supporting his apps
    anytime soon. There is a poll going around for another Drum Style we would like to
    buy/use.

    Deprecate doesn't have the consequences too many fear. We're basically counseling
    folks through the loss of some future ill-defined capability. Fundamentally it's the fear of change and the unknown. I see a bright future with IOS 13 providing many needed improvements for file use and parallel scaling. Something might break and undoing updates has always been an Apple problem but the overall progress should be positive.

    Wait for confirmation from the early adopters and turn off automatic IOS updates to be safe.

    A couple of people on one of the Facebook forums that talked to Luis Martinez assured he is already working on AUv3 versions of the drummers, although he said it will take some time since he is rewriting them from scratch.

  • Apple will continue to support IAA marginally as long as they are making more money from apps that primarily use IAA than they are forced to spend supporting it.

    Most companies will support lagging software tech as long as it’s not cost-prohibitive.

  • ttkttk
    edited September 18

    Without IAA how can we route audio from an Auv3 host to another Auv3 host?

  • @RUST( i )K said:
    APPLE

    Shitting on music making customers since 2015

    Unfair. Very unfair.

    They have done a few things I don't like but they do good things like make great products, free GarageBand etc...

  • edited September 18

    @Simon said:

    @RUST( i )K said:
    APPLE

    Shitting on music making customers since 2015

    Unfair. Very unfair.

    They have done a few things I don't like but they do good things like make great products, free GarageBand etc...

    Yeah.. more like "Musicians - Unwilling to accept change since 2500 b.c."

    :D

  • @LinearLineman said:
    Thanks Jakob. Get better!

    Thank you! :blush:

  • @ttk said:
    Without IAA how can we route audio from an Auv3 host to another Auv3 host?

    Michael and Jonatan did address that in the video. But as Michael mentioned, it’s up to users. If there’s a demand then it’ll happen.

  • @eyesunderground said:
    Apple will continue to support IAA marginally as long as they are making more money from apps that primarily use IAA than they are forced to spend supporting it.

    Most companies will support lagging software tech as long as it’s not cost-prohibitive.

    Yeah, Jonatan (Kymatica) told me, in the email he wrote, that there are loads of technologies that have been continuously deprecated simcenyears back and most users never realise it.

  • @oat_phipps said:
    I alluded to this in another thread, but it's just the word 'deprecate' that has everybody in an over-reacting tizzy. Oooh, exotic! It's like a classic Simpsons gag.

    I initially thought it was a typ-o and I thought it was supposed to say “depreciate”. But when I saw several devs using that word including Apple themselves I decided to google it. And apparently this word is used a lot in coding lingo. :sweat_smile:

    I saw this word in articles about html, swift and java.

  • Maybe it's the new catchphrase of the Daleks: DE-PRE-CATE! DE-PRE-CAAAAAAAAATE!

  • The real problem is on iOS 12.4.x where Apple killed IAA audio input (although there is a workaround). That was nasty . On a major iOS update OK , but that sounds like a raw forced device upgrade

  • edited September 18

    @Korakios said:
    The real problem is on iOS 12.4.x where Apple killed IAA audio input (although there is a workaround). That was nasty . On a major iOS update OK , but that sounds like a raw forced device upgrade

    That raw forced device upgrade sounds like no more apple iDevices into my ears... I’m more into one device one functionality as every day goes...

  • @Samu said:

    @RUST( i )K said:
    APPLE

    Shitting on music making customers since 2015

    Don't really agree here. We've got better tools today compared to what we had in 2015...

    Sammi......kidding ....it was tongue in cheek.......little Apple bashing............LOL

  • @jakoB_haQ said:

    @eyesunderground said:
    Apple will continue to support IAA marginally as long as they are making more money from apps that primarily use IAA than they are forced to spend supporting it.

    Most companies will support lagging software tech as long as it’s not cost-prohibitive.

    Yeah, Jonatan (Kymatica) told me, in the email he wrote, that there are loads of technologies that have been continuously deprecated simcenyears back and most users never realise it.

    My brain is deprecating quicker than my devices......lol

  • @jakoB_haQ said:

    @eyesunderground said:
    Apple will continue to support IAA marginally as long as they are making more money from apps that primarily use IAA than they are forced to spend supporting it.

    Most companies will support lagging software tech as long as it’s not cost-prohibitive.

    Yeah, Jonatan (Kymatica) told me, in the email he wrote, that there are loads of technologies that have been continuously deprecated simcenyears back and most users never realise it.

    FWIW, the app family I worked on from 1999-2018 had code deprecated in about 2004 that was maintained by Apple (including addressing introduced bugs) through Mojave. Some deprecated code is killed much more quickly .

  • edited September 18

    Another great video! @jakoB_haQ

    Hope this lowers the IAArmageddon thread count.

Sign In or Register to comment.