Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

EG Pulse - ElliottGarage new AU3 Drum Machine - available right now on App Store

Comments

• Very glaring omission unless I missed it, no triplets anywhere? Not every rhythm is based on twos.
    I want to be able to add or delete any note in the grid view but you can’t select a note if you’re not in the right rhythmic division so you have to change that first. Annoying.

• thanks @Faland...gonna see what's happening

@d4d0ug if you press the little '+' icon near the MIDI note you can learn from incoming MIDI controller

• Another bug (?) in Cubasis: as soon as I press the rec button the host sync stops to work and no sound.

• @ElliottGarage Is there a INT grid option like you have with kits to clear all the notes out of the sequencer in one go?

• thanks Faland...MIDI out from sequencer is still in development. Now you can only record pads midi out when manually playing them.

• @ElliottGarage said:
    thanks Faland...MIDI out from sequencer is still in development. Now you can only record pads midi out when manually playing them.

Ok, I hope it will fast because the app is quite useless for me at the moment...

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Peblin said:
    @ElliottGarage

Thanks for an AMAZING app!

So many good things in it that deserves praise :)

Here are a few "things I tripped on for first run":

• When zoomed into the grid it doesn't really make sense to have to set snap/quantization in order to add 1/64 or 1/32 notes. When I'm at a "finger-friendly" resolution I was expecting to just be able to edit the steps without changing snap
    • In automation, I don't see the need for "prob" and "read" buttons. I tried just editing the stuff - nothing happened. Had to resort to the manual to figure it out, which feels unnecessary as I'm not likely to end up on the automation page by mistake and thus unlikely to do unwanted edits there anyway.
    • The top "info panel" with BPM, snap etc just invites me to tap to set snap/groove/bpm. It took me a while to figure out that it was just output. Feels logical to use it for nav as well.
    • I like being able to reach snap/swing, /mixer/auto/fx etc with my thumb when holding the iPad. The "main" nav pads/grid/mixer/song is not reachable, so I have to use two hands. Minor thing, but could easily be fixed by flipping the rec/play buttons with the pads/grids etc buttons. I'm way more likely to switch between pads/grid than press rec anyway - so most used at top left would be my argument :smile:

+1 for the info panel I keep pressing it expecting to open up but nothing be good if we could use it to change parameters keeping it all on the same page.

• @ElliottGarage said:
    @Peblin great feedback!
    About automatically switched to 1/64 when zoomed in, I had thought about it...I'm just afraid that user may not understand the change, but maybe it's pretty clear

I was thinking that maybe the grid could "subtly" light up when you have zoomed in far enough to be able to manipulate steps directly.

I feel Read and Prob button useful for not-advanced users.

For the record: I'm not advanced, a real n00b on drum machines :smiley:
    I think most users (advanced or not) would go for the most obvious - ie drag the large, friendly sliders to change stuff. Read/Prob are in that context hard to find, and I get no real feedback on my I can't modify anything when tapping probability etc. Compare to StepPolyArp, it has direct manipulation as soon as you show the automation lanes and that makes for a fun and fast workflow.

You're right about the display...need to think what can be done.

:smile:

I'm soo much looking forward to the evening/weekend to play more with this :)
    I absolutely LOVE the Files integration, this is a total game-changer for the AUv3 crowd!

• how do you start with a blank int.
    patch? i’d like to start with blank pads , and blank pattern. i’m sure i’m just missing it. anybody know?

• @eross currently only kits have a -init- ... I'm adding this on BANKS too.
    anyway deleting pattern is really fast, hold the button DELETE and press on all the steps buttons below corresponding to the 16 grooves stored in the current bank :)

• edited September 2019

@ElliottGarage Thanks for a great app. A few things from early use:

I find the Tempo dial really coarse in adjustment. A small finger movement makes a huge change to the value, so realistically the only way to get the tempo I want is to double tap and type it in.

I also found the tempo “display only” box unintuitive. In most other similar apps, I can adjust tempo by tapping on the tempo display.

Same with the BANK/KIT display. I didn’t find a Save icon intuitive as the way to bring up the Bank/Kit selector, as in almost every other app or plugin, tapping the name of the current patch brings up the Browser.

Tbh some of the Factory patterns e.g. the Techno and Jazz ones are quite far from what I’d associate with those genres and so not immediately usable but I guess I can edit them.

The order of the drum sounds in many of the kits seems quite random and i had to hunt around to find the kicks, which I usually expect to find at the beginning.

So being able to rearrange sounds in a kit by dragging would be really important. Maybe if I drag a sound from one pad over another pad, they swap positions, but the MIDI information for pads would not swap over.

Within a kit, would be cool if there was a way to tell which of the 16 pattern slots have a rhythm in by looking at the pad, maybe a small dot or something.

But lots of good stuff here ...

Keep up the good work!

• edited September 2019

@craftycurate said:
    @ElliottGarage Thanks for a great app.

I find the Tempo dial really coarse in adjustment. A small finger movement makes a huge change to the value, so realistically the only way to get the tempo I want is to double tap and type it in.

I also found the tempo “display only” box unintuitive. In most other similar apps, I can adjust tempo by tapping on the tempo display.

Same with the BANK/KIT display. I didn’t find a Save icon intuitive as the way to bring up the Bank/Kit selector, as in almost every other app or plugin, tapping the name of the current patch brings up the Browser.

Tbh some of the Factory patterns e.g. the Techno and Jazz ones are quite far from what I’d associate with those genres and so not immediately usable but I guess I can edit them.

Keep up the good work!

the Tempo Dial is actually quite clever,, it is coarse when you are adjusting over the knob but the further you slide yr finger away from it after touching the finer the increments you can get ..
    ( edit: I LIKE IT this way as you can do extreme tempo jumps from 20 to 240 if you want or subtle changes if you prefer.. though i would prefer higher than 240 as a limit to be honest.. )
    it’s the automation sliders that i have slight problems with .. reason being, in cubasis even full screen mode doesn’t cover the whole UI so there is always some scrolling happening and because the sliders are all vertical ie: in the same direction the Ui just moves around before you can get anything in there :(
    Mr Garage!! can something be done about adjusting Ui size for different hosts?? or is there a workaround to stop scrolling??
    p.s. great app,, and files app integration is amazing for drag n drop... BUT there is no folder available in the actual “on my ipad” files app.. and any sample i put into a kit doesn’t appear anywhere if i want to re-use those samples individually in another kit .. will we get access to user samples at some stage?
    looking forward to time stretch and ANY other enhancements to the samlple edit window..
    keep up the fine fine work...

• Good app. I will leave requests to everyone else at the mo. Might buy an additional controller but may not as I have 3 controllers now but might be able to remix volca drum etc. Whats good is you can record across the whole chained song mode. Thanks.

• Wow this is great!
    Deeply impressed by the depth and (same time) simplicity of the app. Well done!
    What I hope to see in an update is another (not so sensitive) way to set up BPM. It’s way too fast that scroll wheel thingy.

• @RockySmalls said:
    p.s. great app,, and files app integration is amazing for drag n drop... BUT there is no folder available in the actual “on my ipad” files app.. and any sample i put into a kit doesn’t appear anywhere if i want to re-use those samples individually in another kit .. will we get access to user samples at some stage?

yeah, I'm having the same problem. Trying to get to samples "on my ipad" via drag and drop or importing through edit mode and It just hangs as it's trying to load the sample folder.

I think it's the files app that's at fault, though. It's been giving me problems even if nothing else is running.

(I'm on the most recent ipados beta)

• This is great, thanks for the powerful AUv3 app :)

I know midi out and AU parameters are coming, but any idea if different lengths for each track for polyrhythms is on the agenda...?

Also ways of auto filling the different tracks in different ways would be a bonus, a bit like elastic drums has, like a randomiser for each part on the grids :)

• @ElliottGarage thank you for creating this wonderful machine!

sorry to jump on the feature request train.. but gotta add a +1 for Polyrhythms.

Maybe a little handle to slide the max number of steps over to the left for each lane?

• @Carnbot and @palms thansk for the kind words.
    Aboyut polyrhythms...what happens when playing a song?

• @palms said:

@RockySmalls said:

yeah, I'm having the same problem. Trying to get to samples "on my ipad" via drag and drop or importing through edit mode and It just hangs as it's trying to load the sample folder.

I think it's the files app that's at fault, though. It's been giving me problems even if nothing else is running.

(I'm on the most recent ipados beta)

I’m using AudioShare, which makes it easy to upload samples from another computer, create a file structure for the samples on the iPad and then drag them in to EGP from Files app.

• @ElliottGarage said:
    @Carnbot and @palms thansk for the kind words.

good question. Could simply follow the length of the first lane.

• edited September 2019

@ElliottGarage said:

well I was quite happy with the idea of just using two or three instances of Pulse with different pattern lengths to create polyrhythms. ( in fact thats why i bought it, Au multi instances n all that :] ) .. BUT in the manual it says if you use Host Sync it will ignore pattern length!! arrggghhh.. @ElliottGarage , could anything be done about this.. i don’t mind not having different lengths for each pad track ( though it would be extremely useful ) but surely there is no point having the pattern length setting if the host will ignore it?

edit: oh... maybe you mentioning Song mode was a clue... is that a workaround??

• @palms said:

@ElliottGarage said:

yeah good question, Step poly arp does it by waiting for the longest lane and then changing

• drag and drop from Files into the AU is brilliant :)

• Always going on about the volca. When you put Eg pulse through effects. It dosent sound anything like the original anyway but thats not the point. Is the sample feature going to be good for resampling? Of course.

• is there a triple option or 1/12th notes.? maybe i missed it?

• @Carnbot said:

@palms said:

@ElliottGarage said:

yeah good question, Step poly arp does it by waiting for the longest lane and then changing

Yeah, waiting for the longest lane is most intuitive, and also gives the best visual feedback for the user - you understand what's going on after having observed it once.

• edited September 2019

@bleep said:

@ElliottGarage said:
    @BiancaNeve at the moment Pulse changes immediately. I'll add, after the release, the possibility to set a different tempo for each pattern (now you can set length, swing and automations individually for each groove) and also the slew.

How would different pattern tempo work for an AU in a host? What happens if the new pattern has a different tempo from the host, and then later you change the bpm in the host?

Answering myself here: I guess the best solution is to let each pattern have a tempo multiplier instead of a BPM (with default multiplier set to 1). Changing host tempo would work fine, and slew between patterns would determine the time it takes to gradually change from one multiplier to the next.

• Great start. Definitely a few teething problems - many of which have been mentioned - but I’m sure it’ll come together in time. For me, the lack of midi out makes it pretty much unusable at the moment, but I’m happy to wait for it to arrive.it certainly needs an ‘init’ button, too, just to set everything to zero - no notes, no samples. I’m a little bit confused by parts of the interface at the moment, but maybe that’s just my problem.

• @ElliottGarage congrats on the release. Really great 1.0 release.

Noticed a big bug in AUM.
    If you enable the Host Sync of the AUV3 and hit Play in the host, and then attempt to modify recorded steps in the Grid view, the AUv3 loses its connection and must be reloaded.

Will be spending a lot more time with this awesome piece of kit. Great Work👊🏼™️