Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Can iPad be used as a sound module and send audio to separate tracks in a laptop DAW?

I read it can and several solutions were mentioned.
But is there a good demo of it. Could someone make a video pushing it to the limits by layering
any cord progression in a computer DAW? Especially interested in classic emulations like Korgs, Moogs, iVCS, maybe some Jupiter-like os CS pads from Sunrizer. I wonder how much a good iPad can handle. Thank you.

Comments

• I read Studiomux software can do that. But could anyone do a demo of that, if they actually use it. I’ve experienced too many glitches with iPad software to invest any further without making sure something actually works.

• If it is a Mac you don’t need studiomux, it is native built in IDAM

• @Turntablist said:
    If it is a Mac you don’t need studiomux, it is native built in IDAM

Is it multi channel?

• You can with a ICA4+ audio device.

• @[Deleted User] said:
    You can with a ICA4+ audio device.

Could someone do an actual demo? I wanna know how stable it is.

• @vov said:

@[Deleted User] said:

• @[Deleted User] said:

@vov said:

@[Deleted User] said:

I meant independent and up to date demo , not an ad from 2015.
    I’ve heard many complaints about its stability.

• edited August 2019

@vov said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@vov said:

@[Deleted User] said:

Oh really? rock solid for me on PC 👍 infact its the best audio device i ever bought 😊

• @[Deleted User] said:

@vov said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@vov said:

@[Deleted User] said:

Oh really? rock solid for me on PC 👍

With an iPad? Please do a demo with a few good synths on iPad streaming into PC and controlled by the DAW when you have time.

• @vov said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@vov said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@vov said:

@[Deleted User] said:

Oh really? rock solid for me on PC 👍

With an iPad? Please do a demo with a few good synths on iPad streaming into PC and controlled by the DAW when you have time.

What specifically do you want demoed? The ica4+? StudioMux? Windows PC? Mac? Model, specs, OS version ... not to mention which DAW. Also, is this for live playing or sequenced parts. It makes a difference due to latency. Some people are more sensitive to added latency when playing live.

It’s not going to be a meaningful demo unless the demo is made with a setup with similar specs to what you want to use. The choke point in streaming with Studiomux, for instance has far more to do with the capability of the PC than it does the iPad. A decent PC with good audio drivers can handle anything the iPad can throw at it with Studiomux. A crap pc, or one with a crap sound card, not so much ... and that isn’t the fault of the iPad.

Studiomux can be unreliable for some and oddly not for others on Windows. It’s reasonably reliable for me, but even if I was willing to take the time to make a video for you (which I’m not just to save you a few Rubles trying Studiomux out for yourself) there would be absolutely no guarantee you’d have the same experience.

Sorry, but I think you’re asking something too general to get the answers you’re looking for. Maybe if you provide some more specifics you’ll get some better answers.

Personally, I don’t mess with streaming between iOS and Windows DAWs much. I find it easier to export/import audio between the two.

Sorry, not trying to be difficult- just realistic.

• @vov said:
    I read Studiomux software can do that. But could anyone do a demo of that, if they actually use it. I’ve experienced too many glitches with iPad software to invest any further without making sure something actually works.

Studiomux was very hit or miss for me on PC. When it worked it was awesome and the performance was fantastic. But then it would just stop working for no reason and require a reboot or two. Too much tinkering in the end, which is a real shame as the concept is cool, the app was nice etc.

• I recommend using Ableton link to sync your iPad synth/groovebox/etc with your DAW, record the audio on iPad and send audio to DAW no complications or interface needed.

Streaming iOS to Desktop doesn’t seem like juice worth the squeeze.

• streaming iOS > macOS does not work with the CCK...which is odd...so you can’t use a USB midi controller ???

• Look up IDAM. You don't need the cck. Just plug your lightning charging cable into the Mac's USB port and AudioMidi setup on your Mac.

• But then, how do you control/play a app synth?

@espiegel123 said:
    Look up IDAM. You don't need the cck. Just plug your lightning charging cable into the Mac's USB port and AudioMidi setup on your Mac.

• @nerVe said:
    But then, how do you control/play a app synth?

@espiegel123 said:
    Look up IDAM. You don't need the cck. Just plug your lightning charging cable into the Mac's USB port and AudioMidi setup on your Mac.

do a Google search. You will find plenty of videos and articles that explain.

• @vov are you on a Mac or a PC?

• Multitrack streaming iOS to pc Ableton Live with Iconnectaudio 4 works great for me :smile: but no time to do a demo sorry.

• You have all the information about all the possibilities to do this with an iOS device in this link.

• wimwim
    edited August 2019

@vov, This google search will get you more than you’ll probably ever want to know about using StudioMux for this purpose. It’s a mixed bag for sure!

ipad studiomux site:forum.audiob.us

• @wim said:
    @vov, This google search will get you more than you’ll probably ever want to know about using StudioMux for this purpose. It’s a mixed bag for sure!

I searched this but there’s no up-to-date information and it wasn’t updated for a year, so it’s inconclusive.

• If it doesn't work you still have the possibility to get your money back...just sayin.

• @vov said:

@wim said:

I searched this but there’s no up-to-date information and it wasn’t updated for a year, so it’s inconclusive.

The app was updated a year ago and this thread (from the google search) is also from a year ago...

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/25856/studiomux-personal-frustration

..so for all intents and purposes it is the most up to date info on the current version available on the store.

Apps tend not to magically fix themselves over time and if anything iOS updates may cause them to acquire more issues that need fixing so I think you should probably just avoid Studiomux.

• wimwim
    edited August 2019

@vov said:

@wim said:

That’s as good as it gets. Nothing has changed over that period of time, but I say walk away if it ain’t good enough for you. Personally, I don’t recommend you try StudioMux given what I think I perceive of your risk / frustration tolerance.

There’s also the very real possibility that iOS 13 will break StudioMux. If it does, I don’t expect there will be resolution of the problem any time soon.

The iConnect Audio recommendations seem solid to me, but thats a significant expense.

You continue to limit the effectiveness of replies by not providing details of your setup. I’m certainly not inclined to spend more time trying to help since you don’t even put out minimal effort to provide details. Best of luck to you though.

• edited August 2019

Dance, monkies dance... and, oh yeah, make videos, too.

• @LinearLineman said:
    Dance, monkies dance... and, oh yeah, make videos, too.

😆🐵

• vovvov
    edited August 2019

Do I understand correctly that iConnectivity and Studiomux are the only options available to send MIDI in and multi channel digital audio out of iPads into a computer DAW?

• @vov said:
    Do I understand correctly that iConnectivity and Studiomux are the only options available to send MIDI in and multi channel digital audio out of iPads into a computer DAW?

for IPAD to PC DAW those are the options i know of (i use ICA4+) for ipad to MAC DAW there is also IDAM. 🙊

• @[Deleted User] said:

@vov said:

for IPAD to PC DAW those are the options i know of (i use ICA4+) for ipad to MAC DAW there is also IDAM. 🙊

Is IDAM multi channel?
    By the way, what do you mean by this monkey smiley?

• @vov said:

@[Deleted User] said:

@vov said:

Is IDAM multi channel?
    By the way, what do you mean by this monkey smiley?

I don't have a mac so you need to check yourself.