Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Why is Apple scamming us and itself?

vovvov
edited August 2019 in Other

iPad Pro exists for quite a few years but there’s no pro DAW for iOS.
Independent developers however hard they try simply can’t surmount this task and their attempts come out lacking features or unstable.
Major music software developers use iOS as an advertising platform. Just compare Cubase to Cubasis, Reason to Reason Compact. Those that are made for iOS are simply toys in comparison. Even Korg Gadget which originated on iOS has more features on Mac/Win.
If Apple tells us that iPad Pro works on the level of a computer and higher why there’s no Logic Pro X? It’s an Apple software, they could have port it. Or did they lied indeed?
Maybe Apple will win in the short term by treating their customers with such disrespect, but in the long term they will lose big time.

Comments

• edited August 2019

The first thing you've got to remember is that this is not a big market place for Apple. They equally have years were pro users of the Mac are all neglected and end up in arms (and that market - especially film is massive compared to iPad music).

iOS was crippled for files because of piracy - streaming has changed that logic and I think that's why we are seeing the thawing of the hard lines between iOS and MacOS.

Will that thaw include more pro software? - I'm guessing yes because of the move to make developing for the two platforms much more seamless - ie works on iPad works on Mac no extra effort required.

We aren't going to change it by grumbling

the thing that will make the biggest difference is big music production names being seen to use the iPad

they aren't disrespecting us. We are just beneath their radar. It is a small hobby market compared to say "people who watch Netflix"

I wouldn't be surprised if (assuming we stay on the current trajectory) that iOS14 (or 15) say has Final Cut and Logic - along with the full SDK that works on all their platforms. They'll be using them to sell that though and not the other way around

• Scamming? Really?

• Why do we need a pro DAW on iOS?

• @vov said:

Maybe Apple will win in the short term by treating their customers with such disrespect, but in the long term they will lose big time.

Yeah - let's get our shotguns and torches and head on over to Apple and show them who is boss!

The accusation that Apple is "conning us" because Logic is not available on iOS is juvenile.

• edited August 2019

Maybe in the future, as above said the market is not that big i think.
    All i know is in the mid 90’s where i grew up we drooled when we saw a pub that had 2 turntables with pitch control. The dj that worked there also had a roland groovebox, he was the coolest kid in town. Nowadays it is simply incredible what is possible on a device like an ipad. We are spoiled, that is my opinion. Just be patient, things are already good.

• @vov said:
    Independent developers however hard they try simply can’t surmount this task and their attempts come out lacking features or unstable.
    Major music software developers use iOS as an advertising platform. Just compare Cubase to Cubasis, Reason to Reason Compact. Those that are made for iOS are simply toys in comparison. Even Korg Gadget which originated on iOS has more features on Mac/Win.
    If Apple tells us that iPad Pro works on the level of a computer and higher why there’s no Logic Pro X? It’s an Apple software, they could have port it. Or did they lied indeed?

What do you call a "pro DAW" ?

• ‘Scamming.’ LOL INTERNET.

• Logic Pro x would be horrible on an iPad. Though a complete rewrite offering all the features in a format friendly for a single small touchscreen would be nice, especially if it were free or sub £50 ;).

• I don't think Apple 'scams' itself - why would they do that? What they have done, though, I think, is prematurely labelled the iPad "pro" devices, despite there not being the apps available at present to really make good on that claim. But the journey toward being "pro" devices is speeding up a lot, even in the music-making domain, and the claim has hastened the emergence os some great new apps, it seems to me. The release of the FabFilter and Eventide apps shows the way, but we also, thankfully, still have a lot of indie developers producing weird and wonderful things that make iOS, for me, a playground of musical fun. I hope it won't be too long before the likes of Cubasis become 'full' apps, absent the annoying flaws which, at present, make a lot of us a teeny bit frustrated from time to time. I think these are good times in iOS music-making, though, and they're getting better all the time.

• edited August 2019

No full photoshop and no full 3DS max and many more......scammers lol

iOS is like an 8 year old child that is still 5 years from puberty and a long way from maturity, and like me, it may never grow up fully like a real adult.

• Auria Pro literally has the word pro in the name

• Folks always seem to get angry or frustrated by what they haven’t got. Personally, I can’t believe how quickly iOS has progressed in a relatively short period of time. Think back to a time before even Audiobus existed. Look at the tools we had then for making music on iOS. That was, what, 8 years ago?! The iOS platform itself is only 10 years old! If you compare where we are now with how things were, I think everyone could agree that things are moving in the right direction at a relatively quick pace.

• @Beathoven said:
    Folks always seem to get angry or frustrated by what they haven’t got. Personally, I can’t believe how quickly iOS has progressed in a relatively short period of time. Think back to a time before even Audiobus existed. Look at the tools we had then for making music on iOS. That was, what, 8 years ago?! The iOS platform itself is only 10 years old! If you compare where we are now with how things were, I think everyone could agree that things are moving in the right direction at a relatively quick pace.

+1

• @Beathoven said:
    Folks always seem to get angry or frustrated by what they haven’t got. Personally, I can’t believe how quickly iOS has progressed in a relatively short period of time. Think back to a time before even Audiobus existed. Look at the tools we had then for making music on iOS. That was, what, 8 years ago?! The iOS platform itself is only 10 years old! If you compare where we are now with how things were, I think everyone could agree that things are moving in the right direction at a relatively quick pace.

+1, you could also compare iOS to music making on Android.

• @GrimLucky said:

@Beathoven said:

+1, you could also compare iOS to music making on Android.

Exactly. There are some amazing indie devs making fantastic musical toys for us on iOS, AND there are established desktop devs bringing their wares too. Not just any old desktop devs btw, but the best: Sugar Bytes, FabFilter, Eventide; plus other huge hardware names like Moog and Korg.

Every year that goes by brings new developments and true game-changing apps.

• @vov said:

Although this discussion is pure clickbait with immature rant inside, I can relate a little bit. There are few issues that Apple could address but ignores it for some reason (maybe good reasons, maybe only good for them):

• Making App store "pro" = allowing developers to release new major versions of apps e.g. every year or two, asking new customers for the full price, existing (upgrading) customers just a fraction of price - this is standard model in desktop "pro" world and it works for years, no one really complains. It's fair and sustainable and for some reason it's not a way in Apple's App store. This would also require allowing to easily also freeze the major version of iOS, as it is common in desktop world - keeping the security updates (until supported) but also compatibility with older version of apps.

• Loosening some restrictions - strictly sandboxing files so they can never be touched by other app is very limiting. If you e.g. want to have a central repository of sample banks, it's impossible. This will hopefully get better with external storage support on iPadOS.

• iOS (iPadOS?) should start treating apps less suspiciously. Currently, iOS is very dominant about killing apps, this is why we experience crashes so often. Did an AU host run out of allowed memory limit for AUs? Kill it. Did the app access data not existing in memory? Kill it. Did for some other reason iOS need more memory and your app is "suspiciously" asking for a lot of memory? Kill it. While this is good for "careless" users as they get more stable environment (and can handle occasional crash of facebook app), for "pro" users this is not desired behavior. I would prefer giving more power to app developers to handle the resources of the whole OS. As a user, I would like to trust the developer that he will treat my device nicely, to get the most of out it, rather than trust Apple that they will protect me from misbehaving developers...

On the other hand, it's still a miracle they made such a rich environment with a goddamn phone OS...! Imagine capabilities of mobile phone softwares when first iOS was released and where we're now. It's time to step forward, but if it was easy, others would be miles ahead Apple. Only that they're not, by far...

• iPad Pro “works on the level of a computer, even on a level higher”. - That’s exactly what Apple said on their site, at least here in Russia. Which is clearly untrue, and they should know that. Logic is their software, they know this market. I bet for many other pro goals the situation is very similar. So they purposefully misrepresented it to rev up the sales. So why do you object to my choice of word? If they said “It’s our new iPad Pro. It works great”, there would be no frustration on my side, but they lied.
    What is more perplexing to me, is why they invest in all those misleading PR campaigns instead of investing in software development for iPads. It surely would take more resources, but they could get a major boost in media production software/hardware market which is historically their core market, and which in turn could bolster their position on a media distribution market, which they are not so happy about lately.
    They surely know what a pro DAW is, Logic is their product and it’s one of the best out there.
    It works pretty well on an average laptop, so it should work fine on iPads, unless they also lied about the power of their new processors. For those who were asking what the pro DAW is, think about what Logic, Ableton and Cubase all have in common. I could name quite a few others which exist on Mac/Win, but those would be enough to interpolate a list of common features.

• Yes. the iPad Pro branding is ridiculous, but I don’t believe it was deliberate. Something went wrong internally and there’s a bit of egg on face.

Similar to how AirPower didn’t pan out - Apple “pro” software did not pan out on iPad Pro.

Also you may notice they are promoting Mac heavily (urgently?) again.

• In the mid 80's all I could afford was a Juno 106 and a MSQ100 sequencer. I dreamed about owning a Jupiter 8. But I sure did have a lot of fun with what I had. Later, I even had a Tuscan PortaOne 4-track recorder, a cheap guitar, and a few boss effect peddles.

I'll guess that I spent a total of around $2000 USD in the 1980's on musical stuff.

Just think of all the iOS stuff you can have today with that same money (without converting it into todays dollars).

It a damed miracle!

• edited August 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I tried to get info on total music production sales... could not get it, but I guesstimate around 50 mil US.
    Someone posted figures of around that for music accessing apps (surely a larger market than iOS music production). And if you take our niche market and separate out users who really would benefit from a truly pro DAW... maybe 10% ? That is a mighty small population! To expect Apple to create a music production platform on iOS that equals or out performs desktop for even 200,000 niche users is asking them to what? Cut their own throat? Doesn't compute IMO.

Meanwhile, the apps keep getting more pro, do they not? Add to that the teenage stage of evolution iOS is undergoing and it’s likely progress into adulthood, I don’t think there is much to complain of and a great deal to be thrilled about. Again, for maybe 90% of us this is a total dream come true.

• We can make music with fascinating tools while we sit on the toilet or while we wait for our girlfriend to pick out a g-damn purse. What in the hell is there to complain about.

• @BroCoast said:
    Why do we need a pro DAW on iOS?

Just because, we don’t need daws on desktop anymore😊

• @brice said:
    We can make music with fascinating tools while we sit on the toilet or while we wait for our girlfriend to pick out a g-damn purse. What in the hell is there to complain about.

Did you read what I wrote at all?
    They didn’t give it to me for free. I paid almost $2k for a misrepresented product.
    I’d be much better off with a laptop setup for this money.

• @vov said:

@brice said:
    We can make music with fascinating tools while we sit on the toilet or while we wait for our girlfriend to pick out a g-damn purse. What in the hell is there to complain about.

They didn’t give it to me for free. I paid almost $2k for a misrepresented product.

Get a refund then.

• Desktop-class Safari browser and Finder in iPadOS coming soon...

There are many cool features to mention at the risk of me sounding like a Brand Ambassador for Apple and iOS :(

Sign in with Apple in iOS 13 is one such initiative with privacy and no demographic data harvesting. This will disrupt all those sites offering “Sign in with...” and harvesting user data for marketing spam. Apple (Credit) Card is another initiative with no marketing data harvesting.

I like the new enhancements to Siri in iOS 13 - it sounds near-human and the voice is all generated using software and Neural TTS (text-to-speech) as opposed to "stitching" syllable audio clips in iOS 12 and below that sound like a robot. Now Siri’s human-sounding TTS can be used in so many ways:

Full demo of new Siri 13 here at 1:00:20 seconds - Stacey did a great job with the demo:

https://www.apple.com/apple-events/june-2019/

Many more cool features in iOS 13 like external storage support (thumb drives), SMB File Sharing (eg: work PC), Swift UI for developers, 9ms latency for Pencil, bringing desktop-class browsing to Safari on iPad, new enhancements to Photos making it super-cool and so easy to use, Dark Mode, etc - it's like disrupting the laptop market. iPads on iPadOS 13 are going to cost less than laptops for some people for their workflows with 10-hour battery!

Copycats are scrambling...

Apple is good at disrupting the market - they disrupted the Messaging market (with their successful Messages app) who was marking up the cost of text messages by up to 15,000,000,000% and costing $383,000 per GB - while actually using the data plan on user’s phone to send text messages !!!

https://www.extremetech.com/mobile/141867-price-gouging-it-costs-more-to-send-a-text-message-on-earth-than-from-mars

Some humor with Madonna...

• Pro in regard to iPad Pro is just marketing. Has no meaning other than the what you assign it.
    Same with apps that put Pro in their name.

IPad has a limited OS. Hardware may be capable, but isn’t fully utilized yet. Hope iPad OS/ iOS 13 starts to change that.

If you look for Pro software and experience now, you are too early. Look for original, innovative apps now and you will have a ton of fun as you slowly go broke.

I just have fun with my iPad and am constantly amazed at the quality of the results. If I had clients breathing down my neck, I wouldn’t ever have fun, and the computer/software would undoubtedly fail me in my most desperate hour, no matter what I would be using.

• @vov said:

@brice said:

Then you should've done your research. Return it if you can, and get what would make you happy. If you can't return it, then make the best of things. Everything is branded 'Pro' these days, professional or not.

• @oat_phipps said:

@vov said:

@brice said:

Then you should've done your research. Return it if you can, and get what would make you happy. If you can't return it, then make the best of things. Everything is branded 'Pro' these days, professional or not.

You can use them as a second touchable display if you connect it to your Mac. I think you need an app to do it though. I can’t remember the name, but just saw an ad for the app this past week.