Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Music made using Impaktor by BeepStreet.

Comments

• edited January 2014

I'm just missing an audiocard for the ipad (waiting for iconnectivity 4+) cuz I have plenty of drumpads with piezos to trigger impaktor. It's pretty cool for that but at the same time there's plenty of crazy effects to be done with the voice that bleeds through impaktor and the strike place definitely affects the color of the sound which is cool for that.

The audiocard will be cool also for using impaktor with loopy to record stems of bigger lenght. I'll be able to use footboard like the fcb 1010.

• edited January 2014

Sorry didn't quite get it. Are you already using drum triggers with impaktor? I'd be interested in how much dynamics are you able to get from this set up?

• Great tracks jacoB! I especially like the hand movements & gesticulations Inbetween rhythms.. ;)
    All the best! <3

• @jakoB_haQ said:

@supadom said:

Regarding microphones..
    Yesterday I got an email from Twitter saying that Tim Webb from Discchord had mention me in a blog post. It's tight here:
    http://discchord.com/blog/2014/1/30/jakob-haq-impaktoholic.html

A user called Mark.R also posted a reply that some Impaktor users might find interesting.
    I'll just Quote him:

"Greg, Impaktor works using the internal mic. So anything you place your device on becomes a surface to tap on and trigger the app. if you want to avoid having the mic pick up every sound in the room you can instead use an e-drum pad or piezo trigger through an iRig or similar."

Hopefully most iOS musicians here already know about Discchord.com, but If not, check it out now! I find that site very usefull when I need good app reviews.

Ok, got the contact mic and it works very well. I so far tested it just put against a table without taking the protective sticker off and the signal was a little weak and required more in app gain boost, worked well after that. So, while having a drum trigger sounds like a practical idea, triggering impaktor by rocking on a frying pan with contact mic connected to it has got so much more wow factor for me. Especially for busking/live performance. I'm good!

• edited February 2014

@supadom Sorry the last message was a bit misleading the way I wrote it. E-Drumpads use piezo triggers so it should work. I can't test it cuz I don't really have an audiocard for the ipad so I can't plug anything in. This guy on the beepstreet forum says that it works:
    http://beepstreet.com/forums/discussion/3225/impaktor-feature-request#Item_4

• Testing my busking impro rig

• supadom: Love it! Damn you're having fun! =D

• Lol. Safari crashed when you started singing...

• They need to service their d/a converters, just too much powa!

• Supadom: Following your Youtube channel!

• @supadom said:

This app is too good not to be used live.

Agreed! Glad to see this app still getta love. Def one of the moments I experienced the coolness of ios music making possibilities

• @gjcyrus said:

Def one of the moments I experienced the coolness of ios music making possibilities

^^^ This. Easily one of the best ratios of innovative app:useful music tool on IOS.

• Here's another one. It's not a performance just a noodle but this thing never fails to blow me away. @gjcyrus @syrupcore

I've only seen wavedrum on YT videos but with amount of control one has over the sound I'd say this thing absolutely smashes it.

• @supadom sounds good. Is that t-shirt from a Depeche Mode comic book?

• @jakoB_haQ said:

@supadom said:

Regarding microphones..
    Yesterday I got an email from Twitter saying that Tim Webb from Discchord had mention me in a blog post. It's tight here:
    http://discchord.com/blog/2014/1/30/jakob-haq-impaktoholic.html

A user called Mark.R also posted a reply that some Impaktor users might find interesting.
    I'll just Quote him:

"Greg, Impaktor works using the internal mic. So anything you place your device on becomes a surface to tap on and trigger the app. if you want to avoid having the mic pick up every sound in the room you can instead use an e-drum pad or piezo trigger through an iRig or similar."

Hopefully most iOS musicians here already know about Discchord.com, but If not, check it out now! I find that site very usefull when I need good app reviews.

Sorry, just seeing this now. (Same Mark R. as mentioned above.) I've used a Yamaha e-drum pad through an iRig and it works great. Now using a piezo in an old tobacco tin, and it works great as well. Sensitivity is fine, and of course adjustable within the app.

But what's blowing my mind right now is finally noticing that the "Rnd" button means random! I spent about half an hour playing with that and saved at least ten new sounds.

• edited March 2014

What, did you think it stood for 'rock n' drool'? ;)

You better watch your ears when using it. I'm secretly hoping someone in the know produces a step by step instructional video of how to program melodic patches. Anytime I need one I end up tweaking hang like patch but can't really say I know 100% what I'm doing.

There's plenty of piezo contact elements on ebay for ridiculous prices, they're also seem to be used as triggers by people who can't afford the branded stuff. Anyhow what's important is that they work and I'm absolutely loving the depth of the app. For me what it absolutely needs now is midi clock sync to use with sunrizer or something. That would be awesome. Hope the developer is listening in!

Happy times anyway!

• @MarkR cool man. I thought of buying an epad as you've suggested in the other forum but ended up experimenting with a contact pick up first. I found the experimentation frustrating but once I found the right 'container' everything just started working well. Including all of the built in presets. They're a good starting point but I feel it is possible to achieve even more usable sounds with a bit of time. I've tried the random button but god, some of the results are totally ear piercing. I just bought a set of cheap piezos to try with different containers. I'm trying to find something more comfortable to hold, the one I'm using at the moment is ok but not ideal.

• @supadom said:

Here's another one. It's not a performance just a noodle but this thing never fails to blow me away. @gjcyrus @syrupcore

I've only seen wavedrum on YT videos but with amount of control one has over the sound I'd say this thing absolutely smashes it.

Thnx! That was pretty cool

• edited March 2014

@supadom I have a wavedrum oriental. It's pretty deep for editing sounds and plenty of possiblities soundwise depending on where you strike it. You can also press on the skin to bend the pitch or lenght of the sound. Works with brushes too. Wavedrum and impaktor = great combo!

• @supadom said:

What, did you think it stood for 'rock n' drool'? ;)

You better watch your ears when using it.

That's for sure! The third sound that came out under RND was a spiky burst of white noise with a tiny bit of tone added in. I quickly dropped the iPad's volume down to 50% and proceeded cautiously. :P

• Since the app has six presets it would be amazing if there could be a trigger input for each, and then one could have the most awesome "drum" set!

• edited March 2014

@paradiddle One reason I like Impaktor is that it doesn't necessarily want to emulate real instruments (I asked it!). I also find, mostly from YT videos, that when one does faster rolls it sounds a bit artificial, sort of machine gun like. Possibly because all the sounds in the roll sequence are exactly the same timbre wise. This doesn't happen with impaktor afaik. I'm also more inclined to ad another acoustic instrument such as a djembe and/or cowbell on a pedal to mix it up a little (just in case I'm out of battery :)).

But yeah wavedrum must be amazing. I'm not going to the music shop to try it out as I'm worried I may 'accidentally' buy it ;)

• Haha, you should try it out! This will definitely change the way you might see electronic drums or percs in general. The newest version wavedrum global is even more sensitive. Anyway one of my best buy in a while.

• I have been looking at impaktor for a year now and yesterday I just had to give it a go. This thing is pretty amazing I must say.

• @supadom said:

Here I run the base beat through turnado.

Just been playing with this thang and would have liked to hear your effort here (it's been done been gone etc). Even more so I guess is wondering what you ended up deciding on this. Some of your thoughts here were a year ago, where do you stand/what do think today about this odd little object?

• edited January 2015

I love it even more now than I did one year ago! I do wish for som upgrades like a "shuffle/swing" feature among others things.

In my interview with Jarek Jacek (BeepStreet) developer of Impaktor, he gave me some very interesting answers.

I asked him;

"Another one of your wonderful creations is Impaktor. All of my projects and tracks are full of loops and sounds made with this very special drum synthesizer. Do you have any plans on expanding on the concept and even make an ”Impaktor 2″ in the future?"

And he answered;

"— I would love to. Impaktor 2 senses position, doesn’t need headphones and is more sensitive. But it’s impossible without a dedicated hardware part. I am still looking for someone, who can make a stereo piezo mic prototype for me. Is anybody there?"

I can't wait to se what he comes up with.

The whole interview with Jarek can be read here (if anyone missed it). ;)

http://www.ptc-crew.com/jakobhaq/interview-beepstreet/

• edited January 2015

@jakoB_haQ Thank you Mister J. It was your recent '5 things' piece which led me back to Impaktor. I sense much to be done with it, but need to get past my 'but that doesn't sound perfect' gene.

Got to get me a good dose of Wabi sabi I guess :)

• I've been using Impaktor with a contact mic I bought from RadioShack for a couple of bucks. I coated it with Plasti Dip, soldered it to a 1/4 jack input and run it through an iRig like device I made and in through the headphone jack. You can tap with your fingers or other objects to get a wide range of sounds. You can also clamp it or otherwise attach it to various objects to pickup their vibrations.

• edited January 2015

Sorry @JohnnyGoodyear I've done some tidying of my sound clouds as I was running out of sky. It wasn't anything to die for. I was basically live looping impaktor and occasionally giving it some turnado treatment. It's funny you should say your sound purist side doesn't agree with it. I have to say this applies to me too. It's a love hate relationship. I think great things can be achieved with this but the triggering and reproduction conditions wold need to be stable first. I've noticed that something great programmed using one pick up and speaker will sound absolutely shite in a different configuration. This can lead to a lot of frustration. Eventually I've programmed 10sounds that I like and sound reasonably clean and I'm intending to focus on those. Saying that, since I'm playing with a drummer at the moment I don't get a chance to experiment with it much as there's too much rhythm going on with drummer and impaktor running together. Also the fact that it doesn't sync with loopy is a bit of a killer which often leads me to using loopy as a recorder which without quantization can be a little more tricky but not impossible.

You're right Jacob. He spoke to me about impaktor 2 but the original widely and vaguely estimated release date was the end of 2014. This was before the ios8 mess and now I'm hearing he's porting his synths to PC so @jakoB_haQ i stopped holding my breath a long time ago.

• @Supadom: Yeah, that has been worrying me to ...eh...maybe Mr. BeepStreet will feel sorry for me and make an Impaktor 2 for iOS anyway, yeah! Than'ts what I choose to believe! =D