Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Music made using Impaktor by BeepStreet.

edited January 2014 in Creations

I've had too much fun with this app called Impaktor.

For those of you needing the visuals, check out the video!

Comments

• I started a group on SoundCloud for those of us that use Impaktor. Share your music here:

• Nice stuff dude, good to see someone really having fun. Shows of Impaktor really well.

• edited January 2014

Thanx! I haven't been able to let go of my iPad mini since I got that app a few months ago. Just hadn't had the nerve to "show of" with it until now. Luckily Impaktor corrects the timing of my performance. I am no drummer so my drumming is so not tight..

• Man, when I first got impactor about a year ago it absolutely blew my mind and I showed it to all who gave me their attention. I was planning to use it busking, then maybe live. I've experimented a lot with various mics, then with all sorts of pickups. Unfortunately somehow, possibly mostly due to failure to completely get rid of feedback and various artifacts I've given up until further notice. I saw a percussionist on youtube using it with a mic attached to a sauce pan, that was cool. I could not quite reproduce that though. Have you done any tests with mics/pickups?

• Sounds cool!
    But to be honest, I don't realy like that lowfi thing you did with your voice. But the rest is really cool!

• edited January 2014

@supadom said:

Unfortunately somehow, possibly mostly due to failure to completely get rid of feedback and various artifacts I've given up until further notice

You know this is one of those apps where you really need to use headphones....ofcourse you get feedback without it. Vio is also one of those apps. And Singaling doesn't even work if you don't have headphones plugged in. So I think you can't really use Impaktor live, it's a studio instrument.

• Mmmm, I haven't given up yet. The trick is to find a good broad frequency range contact mic and attach it to an object that doesn't pick up much ambient noise, that's all. Of course for the looks I used a recycle water tank from an office dispenser and that resonated a lot. But a box made of solid wood and thinner playing surface could work. Will get there one day. This app is too good not to be used live. The wow factor is immense.

• edited March 2014

• @supadom said:

Have you done any tests with mics/pickups?

No I haven't really gotten to that yet, but I know what you mean by unwanted feedback. One would need a soundproof booth during a live gig to pull it of. :)

• @Greg said:

Sounds cool!
    But to be honest, I don't realy like that lowfi thing you did with your voice. But the rest is really cool!

@Simon said:

@Greg said:

Sounds cool!

I had the opposite reaction - I loved the vocal treatment. A great rhythm base for the track.

I love how personal taste can be so different from one another. =D

• Mmmmh good work - the dirty fucked up beat has inspired me to start using the app! I'm definitely in the 'like the dirtcore beat' group ;)

• @skoptic said:

Mmmmh good work - the dirty fucked up beat has inspired me to start using the app! I'm definitely in the 'like the dirtcore beat' group ;)

If you have SoundCloud and decide to share your Impaktor made stuff, please share it here:
    =D

• Nice work there, jakoB. I bought this app last week after seeing a recommendation on this forum. I had no idea. Considering I spend most of my downtime tapping beats on my legs, the desk or whatever else, it's perfect. I'm surprised that I didn't know about this app earlier, given my app whore credentials. Anyway, great things planned...

• edited January 2014

@sickmoth said:

I'm surprised that I didn't know about this app earlier, given my app whore credentials. Anyway, great things planned...

There are so many apps out there, and I've found Itunes to be somewhat lacking when it comes to app recommendations or even using the search engine. I always check "iDesignSound" and "Synthopia" among others every morning.

Anyways, If you get Impaktor and make stuff with it. Fell free to share your tracks on SoundCloud. I started a group called "Impaktor". Have fun!

Edit
    Did you guys know that Impaktor and Sunrizer was both created by the same guy. He also made Gyrosynth for the iPhone!

• edited January 2014

• edited January 2014

Here I run the base beat through turnado.

• edited January 2014

@jakoB_haQ said:

Love it!

Sorry for the monotonous track. I was having too much fun tweaking! lol

I think with audiobus 2 a bass synth live tweaked through midi could be added to the mix. You could do it even now but AFAIK not record it.

• Yeah Im really looking forward to the release of Audiobus 2, though I will have to get a new iPad. I'm using the iPad mini 1st gen and I would need much more processing. I get like a stuttering mayhem when using Alchemy together with Cubasis just to name an example.

• Oh yeah, here's the first vid I made with Impaktor. Though the vid is really fuzzy. :)

• @jakoB_haQ said:

Yeah Im really looking forward to the release of Audiobus 2, though I will have to get a new iPad. I'm using the iPad mini 1st gen and I would need much more processing. I get like a stuttering mayhem when using Alchemy together with Cubasis just to name an example.

Yeah cubasis is a heavy app. Sunrizer synth is quite light (has good midi implementation) and mt daw in the output as a recorder should not give you any trouble. I'm not a big fan of mt daw in terms of features bus it has to be said it is very light on the system. Have you tried Turnado? It is highly customizable and it is insane on beats. I've only scratched the surface.

• I have turnado on my studio desktop and I love it, haven't gotten it for my iPad yet though, but I will.
    Yeah sunrizer has got a really FAT sound to it yet being very light on resources, nice coding! Have you Tried out Propellerheads synth Thor? I love that synth. I use it mostly for DubStep, Drum and Base and Dub, but it's really more versatile than that though. Just that making really heavy wobbling basses is so easy with Thor. It's almost as having access to native instruments Massive but on the iPad instead.

• edited January 2014

Liking the track with bass talker a lot. You're quite good at taming impaktor. I'm more into minimal techno/tribal when messing with this app. I personally was not a great fan of reason fan (despite having composed many tracks on it) that's why I never ended up getting the Thor synth.

• Just bought a contact mic off ebay. I'll let you know how it performs with impaktor when it arrives.

• @supadom said:

Just bought a contact mic off ebay. I'll let you know how it performs with impaktor when it arrives.

Interesting! Could you hook me up to a link with the mic?

• edited January 2014

Thanx! Im in Sweden, and I've done a lot of DIY stuff in the past, so I won't have problems finding something similar over here.

Check this out, it is one of my earlier DIY builds:
    http://www.ptc-crew.com/foonawp/?p=40

If you scroll down in that post you'll see me using that machine dubbing an old song of mine. ;)

• Looks good from pics, will check it out later, at work now ;)

• edited January 2014

quick jam with impaktor! Straight from the app. A little hot and needs some equing but... Took the quantize off, much more fun! The solo and mute are driving me crazy though. I wish we could assign them to midi.

• @supadom said:

Regarding microphones..
    Yesterday I got an email from Twitter saying that Tim Webb from Discchord had mention me in a blog post. It's tight here:
    http://discchord.com/blog/2014/1/30/jakob-haq-impaktoholic.html

A user called Mark.R also posted a reply that some Impaktor users might find interesting.
    I'll just Quote him:

"Greg, Impaktor works using the internal mic. So anything you place your device on becomes a surface to tap on and trigger the app. if you want to avoid having the mic pick up every sound in the room you can instead use an e-drum pad or piezo trigger through an iRig or similar."

Hopefully most iOS musicians here already know about Discchord.com, but If not, check it out now! I find that site very usefull when I need good app reviews.