Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Some thoughts for the iOS ecosystem - Eventide and other Audio Companies

2»

Comments

• @pagefall said:

Eventide should not burden the weight of the rest of the industry. Indies developers should either look for positions with these larger companies, or band together with other devs to make a new company. theres no other way to beat goliath here.

"beat Goliath" - none of us are trying to "win". This isn't a zero sum game. One of the things that I really like about the music equipment market place is that it is so lively and there is so much creativity in it. We all have our constraints - can I go out and do a mass production run of hardware? no but on the other hand I can make a polyrhythmic arpeggiator that might sell only a couple of thousand copies. Can Eventide do that? no - their board would be screaming and shouting if they wasted their time on low sales efforts. Look at all the boutique pedal manufacturers thriving despite the bigger manufacturers.

it is HEALTHY for a market place to have big fish and little fish.

Why are there lots of abandoned apps? because the barriers to entry are pretty low - anyone who can code a bit can have a go. Which is bloody brilliant. However sustaining the work and making income does require business and marketing skills etc - harder to come by and turn out to be hard (& for me certainly kind of dull) work. Same reason no doubt that most restaurants end up going bust - the step between "I love cooking and making food for people" to "bloody hell this is hard work and you have to pay an awful lot of attention to costs and be an employer" can be a killer

I appreciate people are bored of business talk but seriously - the more players the better. Us little developers don't and shouldn't need "charity" - we need to learn to run our own businesses. (and I'm pretty sure it's fair to say a lot of app developers don't even view it as a business - they just want to make some cool software and maybe earn a bit of pocket money)

Spot on !

• @oat_phipps said:

@RUST( i )K said:
    Such limited conversation on actual music making any more.......so much about money and developers....profits..scholarships..blah blah blah.

I love hearing about people making music and how they do it.

I hate politics.

Most people don't understand economics.

And the rest is just dribble.

I feel like so many people have little or no understanding on how to run a business or what it entails.

Some of this ignorance leads to over support of developers.

Some ignorance leads to over upset customers.

Either way these discussions are not helpful as a whole for me and using the forum as a creative resource conversation location.

This post is direct, to the point, and I like it.

To paraphrase my initial response to the first comment posted in this thread (and I'm surprised OP actually made it a thread after the response he got in the ultra-tap delay convo), why the hell shouldn't I buy a Prince album over my local indie band if I enjoy Prince 100x more than I ever could someone who 'needs' my money?

With this mentality, I should just give all my money to panhandlers who may or may not 'honestly' need my money and get nothing out of it versus buying goods and services that increase my happiness.

This is just a shitty idea. It doesn't coincide with reality and it isn't even rational idealism.

@barabajagal said:

@RUST( i )K said:
    Such limited conversation on actual music making any more.......so much about money and developers....profits..scholarships..blah blah blah.

I hate politics.

I feel like so many people have little or no understanding on how to run a business or what it entails.

Either way these discussions are not helpful as a whole for me and using the forum as a creative resource conversation location.

Eloquently put sir✊

@AndyPlankton said:

@CracklePot said:

@oat_phipps said:

@RUST( i )K said:

I hate politics.

To paraphrase my initial response to the first comment posted in this thread (and I'm surprised OP actually made it a thread after the response he got in the ultra-tap delay convo), why the hell shouldn't I buy a Prince album over my local indie band if I enjoy Prince 100x more than I ever could someone who 'needs' my money?

With this mentality, I should just give all my money to panhandlers who may or may not 'honestly' need my money and get nothing out of it versus buying goods and services that increase my happiness.

This is just a shitty idea. It doesn't coincide with reality and it isn't even rational idealism.

I get what you are saying, but for me if I have to choose between Corporate and Independent, I will nearly always go with Indie.
    Lingering Punk scene Idealism, I suppose.

Thanks @RUST( i )K for having the sense and nerve to post this.
    There is room for everyone....some will buy indie, some will buy corporate, some will buy both...absolutley no problem with that.
    What I don't get is people asking ask to buy apps just to support a developer, it seems to those people the actual app does not matter at all. Surely that is disconcerting for a developer, whoever they are. I'm pretty sure where they may welcome all income, they'd prefer to be getting it on merit and not out of pity.

Wipes tear from eye.

• @AndyPlankton said:

@CracklePot said:

@oat_phipps said:

@RUST( i )K said:

I hate politics.

I get what you are saying, but for me if I have to choose between Corporate and Independent, I will nearly always go with Indie.

There is room for everyone....some will buy indie, some will buy corporate, some will buy both...absolutley no problem with that.
    What I don't get is people asking ask to buy apps just to support a developer, it seems to those people the actual app does not matter at all. Surely that is disconcerting for a developer, whoever they are. I'm pretty sure where they may welcome all income, they'd prefer to be getting it on merit and not out of pity.

Someone actually suggested to buy an app just to support a developer?
    If so, that is a weird suggestion.

• @CracklePot said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@CracklePot said:

@oat_phipps said:

@RUST( i )K said:

I hate politics.

I see references to this very thing all through this forum

• @ExAsperis99 said:

@TheDubbyLabby said:
    I can see the point by @RUST( i )K and respect it but ATM I feel everything is politics. From the moment we are buying we are doing the most revolutionary politic act.

That video is both inspiring and easy to make fun of. I fear that the ingrained consumerism of the USA is easily manipulated by corporations. It's why you had jackasses proudly buying Hummers to own the libs.
    I don't know what the solution is. It's weird how protection of the environment and being stewards of our common spaces — conservation, by definition, is a conservative aim — have been ridiculed as left policies.

Well is the Walden history... also Decrease proposal from some authors in the International Sphere against the Infinite Growing from others...

All time the focus is consumism...

• edited July 2019

@CracklePot said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@CracklePot said:

@oat_phipps said:

@RUST( i )K said:

I hate politics.

I believe the suggestion was that Eventide should have to donate to indie developers because they have too much money already!

• @drez said:

@CracklePot said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@CracklePot said:

@oat_phipps said:

@RUST( i )K said:

I hate politics.

I see references to this very thing all through this forum

I have seen people claiming they buy all of certain developers’ apps, even if they might not use them all, as a show of support.
    But I don’t think I have seen people saying everyone should do it, or even suggest it to another forum member.

I also see people saying to buy these expensive Fabfilter and Eventide apps for reasons other than want/need. If they don’t see enough money, they will abandon iOS.
    But if I don’t want/need these apps from these developers, why would I care? I feel these comments are directed at people who want these developers on iOS, and actually want to buy these apps to use them. I think the suggestions, in these cases, are made to convince people who want these, but are balking at the high prices.

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:

@CracklePot said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@CracklePot said:

@oat_phipps said:

@RUST( i )K said:

I hate politics.

I believe the suggestion was that Eventide should have to donate to indie developers because they have too much money already!

That is a crazy suggestion. Maybe change Eventide to Apple, and it wouldn’t seem so crazy.
    Not donating money, but offering some free classes or workshops to help out indie developers. Or just helping them in some way. That is, if Apple still see indie developers as a vital part of the iOS world. If that is the case, then Apple would benefit from supporting indie developers.
    I cannot see how any of this would benefit Eventide though. That would be breeding and supporting competitors to their own company, it seems.

• This comes down to user type, and why this platform gets so much crap.

Professional Users

Hobbyist/Enthusiast

The pro user cannot make iOS work for music production because the system is not stable enough yet. It can do many parts of the job well, but it is a struggle to get the whole job done. Apps suddenly no longer having support is a terrible condition for professional users. So Eventide and FabFilter jumping into the game is a great thing for stability and growth in the platform. It may be overkill for casual users, and honestly provides nothing new to the industry, but its optional in the end.

For enthusiasts, the crazy indies apps are a breath of fresh air and are just fun to use. Some pros may have use for these apps too, but overall, this is the playground. developers get to make things based on their passion whether its needed, practical or not.

We no doubt need both sides, and up until now, its been the burden of indies developers to make this platform work as well as it does. These big companies coming in shouldn’t kill the little guys. Ideally it would just all help the platform grow and everyone could benefit. As it is now, the price difference will for sure begin to split users down the line.

• @chocobitz825 said:
    This comes down to user type, and why this platform gets so much crap.

Professional Users

Hobbyist/Enthusiast

The pro user cannot make iOS work for music production because the system is not stable enough yet. It can do many parts of the job well, but it is a struggle to get the whole job done. Apps suddenly no longer having support is a terrible condition for professional users. So Eventide and FabFilter jumping into the game is a great thing for stability and growth in the platform. It may be overkill for casual users, and honestly provides nothing new to the industry, but its optional in the end.

For enthusiasts, the crazy indies apps are a breath of fresh air and are just fun to use. Some pros may have use for these apps too, but overall, this is the playground. developers get to make things based on their passion whether its needed, practical or not.

We no doubt need both sides, and up until now, its been the burden of indies developers to make this platform work as well as it does. These big companies coming in shouldn’t kill the little guys. Ideally it would just all help the platform grow and everyone could benefit. As it is now, the price difference will for sure begin to split users down the line.

Agree.
    It also seems iOS is in flux right now.
    It definitely began as the Indie playground you describe.
    Now it seems Apple are trying to market iPads as Pro-level devices. Having big brands developing apps for iOS would probably be something Apple would want, but I hope they don’t ditch the Indie spirit of the platform when trying to rebrand iPads as Pro devices.

I suspect Apple are looking for the money. That is why they promote subscription apps, and probably welcome the arrival of $50 plugins. I just fear Apple will start playing favorites, and destroy our little corner of the iOS ecosystem.

Sorry for the doom-and-gloom.
    Probably will never happen.
    Carry on.
    B)

• Apple had Korg and Moog on board since the very beginning, as well as $50 and above apps like the Fairlight (now Peter Vogel) CMI.
    My most stable IOS is version 5.1.1 on my first iPad One, which is still on duty.
    (it sucks in network connectivity, but possibly that's the clue...) o:)

• edited July 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @Telefunky said:
    Apple had Korg and Moog on board since the very beginning, as well as $50 and above apps like the Fairlight (now Peter Vogel) CMI.
    My most stable IOS is version 5.1.1 on my first iPad One, which is still on duty.

Those were more the exception than the rule, though.
    Hell, even Different Drummer was like $200 at first (can’t remember exactly, but was shocked when I looked the price history once).
    These few big companies and handful of expensive apps being around, iOS was still promoted as a platform for anybody and everybody to build an app if they had an idea for one. That is why we have so many great, original music apps. Not because a few big companies have been around, or a few more are entering now.

• @EyeOhEss said:
    People worry too much....

Moog, PPG, Audio Damage, Fabfilter, Waves, Korg have been available on iOS for a while now. Moog even going as far as ONLY releasing those apps on iOS...

There’s nothing afoot to panic about....just fabfilter converting to AU (as opposed to Auria only) and then dropping new releases and couple other devs showing up (Eventide, tonebusters). It’s moving in the right direction for sure, but it always has been. There have been ‘big player’ devs on iOS for a long time..

:D

• @CracklePot said:

@Telefunky said:
    Apple had Korg and Moog on board since the very beginning, as well as $50 and above apps like the Fairlight (now Peter Vogel) CMI.

Wrong conclusion - the iPad One was a brand new thing and not even Apple could predict it's future.
    Image Line sacked it's hardware Lemur and went app-only.
    PPG was an early adaptor, too, SamplR was a touchscreen revolution, Jordan Rudess is a big name in keyboard domain, Yamaha didn't take that much longer to join.

I mentioned it only because Eventide's recent entry is considered something special.
    The appstore content was always quite balanced, with the ultra-low price model as a new marketing alternative. Which of course got the main press focus. ;)

Regarding price history: it's a common tool to increase price to an absurd level to prevent buying, but keep the app in store.

• @Telefunky said:

@CracklePot said:

@Telefunky said:

Wrong conclusion - the iPad One was a brand new thing and not even Apple could predict it's future.
    PPG was an early adaptor, too, SamplR was a touchscreen revolution, Jordan Rudess is a big name in keyboard domain, Yamaha didn't take that much longer to join.

I mentioned it only because Eventide's recent entry is considered something special.
    The appstore content was always quite balanced, with the ultra-low price model as a new marketing alternative. Which of course got the main press focus. ;)

Regarding price history: it's a common tool to increase price to an absurd level to prevent buying, but keep the app in store.

@CracklePot was wrong about different drummer, it only cost $150 when released! The developers reasons were that it had some magic and he had been in the business since the 80s.

I think we can agree that Eventide can make a similar claim?

• @BlueGreenSpiral said:

@Telefunky said:

@CracklePot said:

@Telefunky said:

@CracklePot was wrong about different drummer, it only cost $150 when released! The developers reasons were that it had some magic and he had been in the business since the 80s.

I think we can agree that Eventide can make a similar claim?

Yeah, I’m sure I was wrong about a lot more than that.
    :D

• @Telefunky said:

@CracklePot said:

@Telefunky said:

I think those companies were curious about touchscreens, and Apple had the best platform to experiment on. Still, with your expanded roll call of early corporate adopters, it is about 1000 to 1, corporate vs. indie developers.
    And why do you list SampLR? That was an indie app, right?

I only put this out there because I don’t see any real benefit to having iPad turn into another desktop. We already have that desktop stuff available, but will lose the opportunity to ditch that for iOS.
    The bottom line is what Apple does. If Apple wants to rebrand iPads as Pro devices, they will probably start focusing on bigger, known companies to develop apps. Add to that the AppStore monopoly lawsuits, and chances of all of this changing for the worse is pretty high.
    If Apple can’t make billions of dollars with the current model anymore, they will change it to their benefit, without regard for all the small developers or the people who love using their apps.

I agree that having big and small developers on iOS is good for everyone. But a huge shift towards big, at the expense of the small, now that would be terrible for most of us.
    Maybe not for you, though.
    But then, you are more the exception than the rule.
    B)

• @CracklePot The appstore business model was a (smart) new idea never tried before.
    It opened up worldwide business coverage for the average Joe and Jane for a ridiculously low entry fee.
    But that was a business plan, not charity.
    Apple never cared much about 'small' developers - in pre IOS days some of their strategic turns drove quite a lot of them close to ruin.

It's a natural matter of fact that few developers stand the test of real world business.
    But size (of the team) doesn't matter in highly specialized domains like audio developement.

I mentioned SamplR because it was the first app (in the music section of the store) that fully revealed the potential of IOS and a touch interface. It's the better MPC - or a blueprint for the future of the original design.
    (opposed to the annoying stuff the buyers of the Akai brand shell out today - jmho)

If you're good, you have good chances to succeed even as a one man show.
    Sure - it's hard to compete with an(y)established brand.
    If something is labelled Moog, Akai or Eventide it will be bought, regardless of content... at least once. ;)

ps: yes, you're right - I prefer be the exception and not the rule. o:)

• @Telefunky
    I get ya.
    Rock on, and long live the Exceptions!
    B)

• @Philandering_Bastard said:

Eventide earn £31,000,000 per year according to this link

https://www.owler.com/company/eventide

For the umpteenth time: revenues are not profits. Far from it. Eventide has 60 employees as per your link. I’d be pleasantly surprised if they even turn a profit.

So, yes, they ‘earn’ 31m p.a. But they also spend 31m, or close to it.

I'm a little late to this conversation and hopefully won't get blasted for chiming in. I just wanted to confirm that we (Eventide) indeed do not make 31m in profit. We've always believed in reinvesting in technology and remaining independent. Our expenses are quite high and we are in this business because we are all musicians (95% of our employees are) and we believe in pushing the envelope over trying to make a quick buck. We spend a ton in R&D and overhead.

We believe in quality over quantity. It is this reason why we've never made a stompbox under $100. We are not part of a big conglomerate like Harman or Yamaha. Yes, we are more established than some of today's smaller, boutique companies but in 1971 we were like them when we created the world's first digital delay.

Yes, some products have been rehashed but that is because there are new platforms and new musicians that have never experienced our sound. In addition, we continue to make our ported products better so that they are as faithful as possible to the original unit. Case in point, this year we did a complete overhaul of our Instant Phaser and Instant Flanger plug-ins to make them indiscernible from the original hardware units. That being said, we are also breaking new ground with other products such as the H9000 and our spectral effects plug-in, Physion which independently processes the transient from the tonal elements of a sound.

To summarize, we are a bunch of nerdy engineer musicians and very grateful for anybody that wants to try our products. Eventide is not the huge, evil corporation some paint us to be. We're a local NJ business that participates in lots of philanthropic endeavors. Being a pioneer of digital audio, we'd like to keep up with the times and continue to develop for iOS and are honored to be a part of your community.

• edited August 2019

Perhaps someone got the fine and hardworking Eventide company mixed up with the similarly-named Eviltide . They are a stompbox manufacturer, which guarantees their products will make you sound better than Jimmy, Jimi, and Eddie PUT TOGETHER! And achieve wordly riches and fame. The only catch for one of these majical pedals, one must forfeit their immortal soul. Bummer. I bought one couple years ago. It’s great and all, but I’m kinda having some buyers regret. 🤭

• @Orville, thanks for the background. It sounds like a lot of hard work and fun. I am sure just about everyone here appreciates your efforts and good vibes. Keep on keepin’ on, please.

• @Orville said:

@Philandering_Bastard said:

Eventide earn £31,000,000 per year according to this link

https://www.owler.com/company/eventide

For the umpteenth time: revenues are not profits. Far from it. Eventide has 60 employees as per your link. I’d be pleasantly surprised if they even turn a profit.

So, yes, they ‘earn’ 31m p.a. But they also spend 31m, or close to it.

I'm a little late to this conversation and hopefully won't get blasted for chiming in. I just wanted to confirm that we (Eventide) indeed do not make 31m in profit. We've always believed in reinvesting in technology and remaining independent. Our expenses are quite high and we are in this business because we are all musicians (95% of our employees are) and we believe in pushing the envelope over trying to make a quick buck. We spend a ton in R&D and overhead.

We believe in quality over quantity. It is this reason why we've never made a stompbox under $100. We are not part of a big conglomerate like Harman or Yamaha. Yes, we are more established than some of today's smaller, boutique companies but in 1971 we were like them when we created the world's first digital delay.

Yes, some products have been rehashed but that is because there are new platforms and new musicians that have never experienced our sound. In addition, we continue to make our ported products better so that they are as faithful as possible to the original unit. Case in point, this year we did a complete overhaul of our Instant Phaser and Instant Flanger plug-ins to make them indiscernible from the original hardware units. That being said, we are also breaking new ground with other products such as the H9000 and our spectral effects plug-in, Physion which independently processes the transient from the tonal elements of a sound.

To summarize, we are a bunch of nerdy engineer musicians and very grateful for anybody that wants to try our products. Eventide is not the huge, evil corporation some paint us to be. We're a local NJ business that participates in lots of philanthropic endeavors. Being a pioneer of digital audio, we'd like to keep up with the times and continue to develop for iOS and are honored to be a part of your community.

Glad to make your acquaintance.

Good to hear your philosophy straight from the horses mouth as it were.

I'm liking what I read.

Looking forward to experiencing the sound of Eventide on iOS.

Peace.

• @Orville said:

Welcome to the AB Forum Orville, glad to have the likes of yourselves here on the iOS platform.
    You may have guessed already but you sometimes need a very thick skin on this Forum... at times it will make you question your own good sense and intentions, and make you feel like you have to justify everything that you do, BUT it will also make you laugh out loud and feel very loved and appreciated.

B)

• @Orville welcome! Loving your plugins and apps. Real quality. Keep them coming!

• Thank you for the love! Much appreciated to be a part of such a great community.

• @Orville great response and even better apps by your company released for iOS. Good GUIs, great sounds, and value for your money.

• @Orville and thanks for releasing some ios apps that not only sound great but just work without issues. And thanks for creating a ios app Gui interface with knobs that don't move when you release your finger from the screen.