Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Xequence 2 is now available!

Comments

• Man I miss xequence’s editing interface. The way it does automation and piano roll hasn’t been bettered by any of the AU midi apps.
    I’d definitely by Xequence 3: AU Edition @SevenSystems 😉

• Look at that! It’s pretty sweet stuff this
    @wim I tried the(not so exelent?) google to search for multi take recording Xequence 2, before I posted btw, heh. Now I definetly have to read the manual before I post next! ^
    @gregsmith
    I was thinking the same, but I am kind of enjoying it taking me outside «the mixer» for some reason. I’m using ipad mini 5 maybe that’s got something to do with it?
    Cheers

• edited November 2021

How I dis?
    I recorded automation with a slider, but I couldent figure out how to remove it. I only used a slider to map it in, and you can see peaks and valleys in the backround of the clip, but I can’t see it in the «draw place»

• @_smund said:
    How I dis?
    I recorded automation with a slider, but I couldent figure out how to remove it. I only used a slider to map it in, and you can see peaks and valleys in the backround of the clip, but I can’t see it in the «draw place»

Hey,

it looks to me like you have multiple overlapping clips on the "Moog" track, and it's one of the clips BEHIND that has the automation.

You could either move the top clip out of the way first and then double-tap the clip with the automation to edit it, or you can draw a small selection rectangle (tap + hold + drag) over all the overlapping clips, and then tap "Process" -> "Join" to merge them into a single clip which contains all the data.

The artifacts you're getting around 0:30 are because multiple clips with automation in them are "fighting" for priority.

By the way, the "Draw" feature is for drawing in automation by hand, it's not necessary to activate it to record slider movements -- these will always be recorded. (but this actually raises a good point -- I guess it would make much more sense if the "Draw" and "DATA TYPE" buttons were swapped. Note taken.)

Hope this helps!

• @McD said:
    @SevenSystems Isn't it time for Xequence 3? After all there are 7 versions planned, right?
    You're the George R. R. Martin of IOS or maybe J.K. Rowling with 7.

Yeah, I guess you have a point here... the next major Xequence update is now taking SO long that it could just as well be Xequence 3 altogether :D (sorry for that!)

I don't know either George R. R. Martin or J.K. Rowling... but then again I haven't watched TV since 1999 and not listened to anything that remotely resembles "pop" music in my whole life, so maybe that's why I don't get references :#

• @gregsmith said:
    I’d definitely by Xequence 3: AU Edition @SevenSystems 😉

I'd definitely cobble that together right now if I could :) (the plans are there at least!)

@wim thanks as always for being the best unpaid customer support employee on the iOS music scene!

I don't know either George R. R. Martin or J.K. Rowling... but then again I haven't watched TV since 1999 and not listened to anything that remotely resembles "pop" music in my whole life, so maybe that's why I don't get references :#

👍:)

• @wim @sevensystems
    Lets pay him with AudiobusforumTokens!
    I think Mr.Wim disserves all the apps for free, right? :) lol
    Glad you’re still working on Xequence Seven, flippin amazing (and Thanx for the help)

• @SevenSystems said:

😅😅😅

George R. R. Martin is author of the "A song of ice and fire" fantasy book series, which got filmed as "Game of Thrones" TV series.

J.K. Rowling is author of the "Harry Potter" books, which also were made as movies.

I would assume that you at least heared those names 😅

• @_smund said:
    @wim @sevensystems
    Glad you’re still working on Xequence Seven, flippin amazing (and Thanx for the help)

No bother. Thanks for the kind feedback. Any iOS-related compatibility fixes will still be done with minimal delay should the need arise, and the mid-term goal is still to release a major update in the... mid-term future B)

• @tja said:

@SevenSystems said:

😅😅😅

George R. R. Martin is author of the "A song of ice and fire" fantasy book series, which got filmed as "Game of Thrones" TV series.

J.K. Rowling is author of the "Harry Potter" books, which also were made as movies.

:D okay, yeah, sorry... I told ya! I have heard of both "Game of Thrones" and "Harry Potter" though. I have no idea what "Game of Thrones" is at all apart from the name, but I do know Harry Potter is some kind of magician or so...

• @SevenSystems what flippin music do you listen to?
    Why don’t you like release the AUM version and have a fireplace chat with Jakob Haq or everyone. I bet it would take first place in sequencing in AUM easily. Better have some individual ribbon windows for drawing CC changes, It’s my impression that’s kinda wanted in AUM aswell? Im not sure? I couldn't get Midi Mixer to twist all my knobs anyhow.

• @_smund said:
    @SevenSystems what flippin music do you listen to?

Here's the current top songs straight from my music player ;)

Why don’t you like release the AUM version and have a fireplace chat with Jakob Haq or everyone.

I have ideas for better integration with AUM and I plan to have a chat with Jakob at some point. I'm not sure about the fireplace though. :#

Better have some individual ribbon windows for drawing CC changes, It’s my impression

Can you explain in a bit more detail?

• edited November 2021

@SevenSystems said:

@tja said:

@SevenSystems said:

😅😅😅

:D okay, yeah, sorry... I told ya! I have heard of both "Game of Thrones" and "Harry Potter" though. I have no idea what "Game of Thrones" is at all apart from the name, but I do know Harry Potter is some kind of magician or so...

Unless you're pulling a prank here (in which case, well played 👌), I'm in awe. You've got to be a hermit of some kind to not have heard of these authors in this day and age. And I don't mean that as a bad thing at all - rather a rarely reached, impressive level of managed media consumption. Respect.

Well, either that, or you really are working day and night on new Xequence stuff. 😶

• @SevenSystems said:

@_smund said:
    @wim @sevensystems

No bother. Thanks for the kind feedback. Any iOS-related compatibility fixes will still be done with minimal delay should the need arise, and the mid-term goal is still to release a major update in the... mid-term future B)

Please take my money :)
    Glad to read you here !

• @SevenSystems
    Just that apps for recording/sending midi CC change information are not a comprehensive list on AUM. I think Ribbin might be the most intuitive, but in Xequence you can have as many as you like. It would be nice to be able to configure your own small windows with as many ribbons or pads as you like to use in AUM

• wimwim
    edited November 2021

@_smund said:
    @SevenSystems
    Just that apps for recording/sending midi CC change information are not a comprehensive list on AUM. I think Ribbin might be the most intuitive, but in Xequence you can have as many as you like. It would be nice to be able to configure your own small windows with as many ribbons or pads as you like to use in AUM

I'm not sure I understand you, but Xequence AU Keys and Xequence AU Pads have configurable MIDI CC control surfaces. Keys is especially nice as you can also set them up to respond on the up/down axis of keyboard keys.

IMG_B5276E4D3E06-1.jpeg

IMG_D5E4CD68BAF4-1.jpeg

• edited November 2021

My dudes, I’m saying In my perception there are not enough apps for midi CC controlling/automating knob twistings in AUM.
    Xequence in AUM should let you configure your own small/or big windows with it’s midi control tools.
    What midi CC control apps do you use in AUM?
    @wim
    @SevenSystems

• @ervin said:

@SevenSystems said:

@tja said:

@SevenSystems said:

😅😅😅

Unless you're pulling a prank here (in which case, well played 👌), I'm in awe. You've got to be a hermit of some kind to not have heard of these authors in this day and age. And I don't mean that as a bad thing at all - rather a rarely reached, impressive level of managed media consumption. Respect.

Well, either that, or you really are working day and night on new Xequence stuff. 😶

You know you're really off-mainstream if people ask you if what you're telling about your life is a prank :D I appreciate it though! Don't be in awe though, I'm not sure this is actually healthy...

(I used to be working day and night on Xequence stuff (or other stuff), but I haven't as much energy as I used to... still hoping for improvement :))

@crony said:

@SevenSystems said:

@_smund said:
    @wim @sevensystems

Please take my money :)
    Glad to read you here !

:) Thanks!

@_smund said:
    My dudes, I’m saying In my perception there are not enough apps for midi CC controlling/automating knob twistings in AUM.
    Xequence in AUM should let you configure your own small/or big windows with it’s midi control tools.
    What midi CC control apps do you use in AUM?
    @wim
    @SevenSystems

I've once started work on an app focused on building your own MIDI control surfaces, but then again, there's already so many apps that do this that I stopped thinking it was worthwhile at some point and it's become one of the projects that are "almost finished", but not finished enough and I ran out of breath on the last mile.

• Noo fuckof maan, tell me; what are the Midi control apps (auV3) you are speaking of? I think it would be great this..
    I only know Ribbin and Midi Mixer(4pockets), and that one just has trouble written all over the interface.
    What other midi control apps are there?
    @SevenSystems
    @everyone

• @SevenSystems said:

OK... you need culture translations.

"Game of Thrones" = What the ABF would become without @Micheal's "benevolent dictatorship" to enforce basic civility and manage bullying.

"Harry Potter" = @Michael... a chosen wizard with magical powers to defeat the dark forces that see to enslave all creatives. Your quest who the dark forces might be... personally I think it's PC software license managers and click trackers. We are not profiled here... yet.

If you Google for "IOS Evil" is brings up a ton of dark games... like "Evil Nun Maze". Games be evil but I've heard many have great music scores.

Please ship Xequence 3 before you get ill. Someone might have put a spell on you since you dominate IOS MIDI apps.

• This would be dynamite, but only if it was an AUv3. Currently (though not for long I bet) there is nothing to get exited about for control surfaces that run as an AUv3 inside hosts, while the ground is pretty well covered for standalone apps.

That said, there is a very strong contender in this space in beta at the moment. It has a broader focus than just this, but will be quite good. I still think a focused app just for this purpose, and with your (IMO) outstanding design sense would be well received.

@SevenSystems said:
    I've once started work on an app focused on building your own MIDI control surfaces, but then again, there's already so many apps that do this that I stopped thinking it was worthwhile at some point and it's become one of the projects that are "almost finished", but not finished enough and I ran out of breath on the last mile.

• Is there an advantage of something like Xequence for a Cubasis user. I imagine I could use it as an IAA to have all midi setup. Load Cubasis project and tracks should remember routing etc.

• edited December 2021

@Ailerom said:
    Is there an advantage of something like Xequence for a Cubasis user. I imagine I could use it as an IAA to have all midi setup. Load Cubasis project and tracks should remember routing etc.

Yes, you can use Xequence to control instruments hosted in Cubasis without much hassle by configuring the MIDI routing for each track in your Cubasis project accordingly. Then, just launch Xequence normally and for each Cubasis track, create a Xequence instrument and under "Select MIDI Destination", choose "Cubasis" and select a separate MIDI channel for each. Xequence is very good at keeping MIDI connections "alive" and will have no problems restoring any connections at any time, even if you relaunch Cubasis or Xequence.

The advantage of using Xequence would be that you have more and deeper editing and arranging tools available, and rumor has it that many Xequence users report a higher editing efficiency and robustness in Xequence, but I won't take a stand here ;)

• @SevenSystems Thanks for confirming that. Which app would start playback? Cubasis i I assume, or can it be done from either?

• @Ailerom said:
    @SevenSystems Thanks for confirming that. Which app would start playback? Cubasis i I assume, or can it be done from either?

You can only play (and sequence) instruments hosted in Cubasis -- i.e., send notes, controller data, or program changes. However, you cannot control Cubasis' transport (Start/Stop etc.) externally, as Cubasis unfortunately doesn't support any kind of external sync.

(Cubasis does support sending MIDI sync (start/stop/clock etc.), however, Xequence does not support receiving it :( )

So, the only thing that Cubasis would be useful for in combination with Xequence is as an instrument host, i.e. in a similar fashion to AUM.

• So it would (or can) start with the Cubasis transport? I have a range of audio and midi tracks together so, audio in Cubasis, midi in X sort of thing.

Also wondering how much, if any additional cpu demand this could add.

• @Ailerom said:
    So it would (or can) start with the Cubasis transport? I have a range of audio and midi tracks together so, audio in Cubasis, midi in X sort of thing.

Also wondering how much, if any additional cpu demand this could add.

I do this with AUM and also have a combo of midi and audio tracks. The midi is hosted in Xequence and the audio is generally a time offset track in AUM. Or I just listen to the song from the start and record audio at the desired time. Not ideal of course. But yes, AUM start/stop also starts Xequence. And as @SevenSystems hints at, sounds like it would be similar to Cubasis. Not sure about the additional CPU issues…I find it’s not a matter of CPU generally in Xequence but more the number of tracks/ instruments/ AUv3 loaded in AUM. There are some advanced workflows that some have mentioned (somewhere on this forum) where they use Xequence to also trigger their audio tracks at given times…

• Thanks @mjcouche Just curious about the audio being time offset. Does that mean I would need to offset audio track in Cubasis? Is there a latency issue?

• @Ailerom said:
    Thanks @mjcouche Just curious about the audio being time offset. Does that mean I would need to offset audio track in Cubasis? Is there a latency issue?

No, likely not. AUM has no visual, scrubbable timeline so this is how I cope.