Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Xequence 2 is now available!

Comments

• @crony said:

Collapse + Expand folders with markers to open/close automatically with the right focus on the folder with his midi tracks, in a live situation : killer feature :wink:

Hehe. Live use is not really the primary focus of the app, but your idea is interesting for sure.

• @crony said:
    Hi,
    Just to let you know, I think you may add notes on AUM already, might be interesting ?

Collapse + Expand folders with markers to open/close automatically with the right focus on the folder with his midi tracks, in a live situation : killer feature :wink:

One can do it in AUM but not Xequence.

• @SevenSystems I know, but I have to ask...still no Modstep 2 coming, and your midi import features looks greater on every updates...
    I’d love to switch to X2 with just some “minors” improvements for live situations...

Did you see my post on page 31 ? Some of these options asked (begged...;) ) available yet ?...

Thanks 🙏

• @RajahP said:

@wim said:
    Xequence 2 is one of the few apps I see no need for AU.
    The piano roll, and a modular mini-timeline would be handy for jams I guess, but other than that I just don't see what AU adds. What am I missing?

Well, I have not been using it in AB3:: Seems like most people use it there.. but switching back and forth is a challenge... seem like every thing that ATOM can deliver and more.. right now..

Every AU app that I've tried in AUM has a smaller screen than in standalone mode - at least for those apps that can run standalone, some can't.... Given that the purpose of X2 is to edit MIDI notes and events, I would not want its screen to be forced into a smaller size.

There is only one reason I would switch back and forth between AUM and X2 - tap the Record button in X2, and tap the Play button in AUM for AU apps that won't run otherwise - eg. the Rozeta Collider app. That seems to be the main reason AB3 is added to the setup - for its transport controls that would trigger Play in AUM and Record in X2 at the same time.

I suppose IAA state saving is the other reason peeps AB3, though I don't use IAA myself.

• @crony said:
    @SevenSystems I know, but I have to ask...still no Modstep 2 coming, and your midi import features looks greater on every updates...
    I’d love to switch to X2 with just some “minors” improvements for live situations...

Did you see my post on page 31 ? Some of these options asked (begged...;) ) available yet ?...

Thanks 🙏

Yes, I did see it, sorry for not replying yet. Currently moving the company and it's a busy time.

@crony said:

1.Can I assign Program Change or CC’s to a midi track, a sort of timeline, to start my sequence from there ?

Sorry, not currently possible... but doable.

2.Also does start/stop link is starting the track from the beginning of a song all the time or next to the closest bar in sync ?

Link Start does exactly the same as hitting the "Play" button in the app, so it will sync-start from the nearest bar position.

3.Can I midi assign loop on/off using midi while X2 is playing ? (As I see that the latest version is fixing the lag issue while activating/deactivating the looping sequence mode)

Not currently, but a generic "MIDI Learn" system for basic commands (such as loop on/off) is on the roadmap!

4.Can I load songs using PC's or CC's ? Does it stop Link if the track was playing before loading a new track ?

That would also be an interesting thing to control once the MIDI Learn system is in place, yes... however, loading a new project will definitely force a re-sync.

1. I think I'll use 3 instances of X2 on 3 iPads, so loading a new song on an iPad won't stop the others iPads ? (I guess I'll have to test to ask for some features... ;) )

Loading a new song currently stops the transport if it is running, that is unfortunately "unfixable".

Your ideas for workarounds are interesting, but I don't think "shoehorning" a live looper into something that has deliberately been designed for the opposite (composition) is the best way to go! 🙁

Hope you're not too disappointed.

• Glad to read you’re busy, but as usual responding super quickly ! 😊

I’m not disappointed by your answers, but I came to the conclusion that a pure clip launcher, and how modstep is not user friendly is not “sustainable” on iOS...

I’ll switch to X2, no doubts, i just couldn’t with X1...(due to link limitations...)

With “just” features on points 1 and 3 I’ll be good to go...folders feature would be great also I must admit...

Points 4 and 5 are finally useless, as with import/export I can create a “super song “ with all my songs, then change the tempo during playing.
    I kind of remember that tempo changes can be included on the timeline also, right ?

Having one “super song” brings also stability (I have some crash actually loading different songs on each iPad while playing) but due to midi limitations of import/export of modstep it’s too complicated to make that kind of “super song”.

So finally a linear sequencer, with some limited midi loop functions and transport to different songs is a better solution for me...

• edited August 2019

@GovernorSilver said:

@RajahP said:

@wim said:
    The piano roll, and a modular mini-timeline would be handy for jams I guess, but other than that I just don't see what AU adds. What am I missing?

Well, I have not been using it in AB3:: Seems like most people use it there.. but switching back and forth is a challenge... seem like every thing that ATOM can deliver and more.. right now..

Every AU app that I've tried in AUM has a smaller screen than in standalone mode - at least for those apps that can run standalone, some can't.... Given that the purpose of X2 is to edit MIDI notes and events, I would not want its screen to be forced into a smaller size.

There is only one reason I would switch back and forth between AUM and X2 - tap the Record button in X2, and tap the Play button in AUM for AU apps that won't run otherwise - eg. the Rozeta Collider app. That seems to be the main reason AB3 is added to the setup - for its transport controls that would trigger Play in AUM and Record in X2 at the same time.

I suppose IAA state saving is the other reason peeps AB3, though I don't use IAA myself.

Maybe I’m a bit impatient for ATOM’s update.. But the features in X2 do have you wanting.. Midi import/export etc. in Au..

Guess I’ll just need to have patience...😊

• edited August 2019

@RajahP said:

@GovernorSilver said:

@RajahP said:

@wim said:

Maybe I’m a bit impatient for ATOM’s update.. But the features in X2 do have you wanting.. Midi import/export etc. in Au..

Guess I’ll just need to have patience...😊

Man, looking at how small the Atom window is, I'd have to have to do tons of MIDI editing in that window. That's why I wouldn't be happy if X2 was forced to shrink to that size. But I'm not stopping you from wanting that if that is what you really want.

Let me ask you this then.

Does Atom record when you tap Record in AUM?

I think @wim was using Atom as part of his workflow - record AUM jams or whatever to Atom, then some kind of workaround to get the MIDI into X2.

• edited August 2019

I've been using Photon AU to record sequences in AUM and then exporting those midi files to Xequence for arranging.

Photon is better recorder than Atom which is good at being a piano roll.

• You can send Atom’s MIDI out to Xequence and record it there, but I haven’t bothered lately. The workflow of X2 with Audiobus (plus AUM when needed) is fluid enough for me. Photon is a great way to capture MIDI as @aumux says, but again, I’ve just been going straight to X2.

Atom’s record start/stop isn’t linked to AUM’s record button. However, if you press record in Atom with AUM’s transport stopped, recording will start when you press Play in AUM. The only trip-up is you have to stop Atom recording before it loops around if you’re using input such as Rozeta. Otherwise you get doubled up notes. I hope Atom gets a one-shot record option at some point.

I really, really like Atom, but X2 is only a tiny bit more trouble to set up, and a lot less trouble to continue to develop ideas in once they strike.

• @crony: Sorry to disappoint yet again 😉 Xequence does not have a tempo track. It's under consideration for an update though.

• @SevenSystems as long it’s not for X3, and as long I have to start to build my tracks again before thinking of a full live, I guess I have a strong solution sustainable 😁

• Just had a cup of coffee and I just realized what you’re saying here😳🤓😂

I get it. So in AB3 I’m able to send the incoming midi to whatever number of destinations I wish to send to. So only one midi track is playing in X2.

You know, I’m having such a treat getting Funk Drummer to trigger so many variations for drums in KEW! It’s like a customized Drum Machine and one is able to load custom drum samples too!
    I’m going to try to build a really cool drum kit in KEW and hopefully share it.

@wim said:

@Tones4Christ said:
    Is there a way to have a single midi track in X2 be able to send midi out to various midi channels at once? I can only select one channel at a time. I wonder if this could be a future possibility?

No. An instrument is defined by the combination one destination and channel. @SevenSystems would need to address the question of whether it would be a future possibility.

There are many, many ways around this though. You can always point the same MIDI channel to multiple instruments in AB, AUM or just about any host. There's also MIDI Clone and Filter from AudioVeek's MIDI tools -and other apps as well.

What do you see as the problem that this would address?

• edited August 2019

Please forgive my ignorance but how do I delete a blank first bar in a track?

Sorry just figured it out 😳🤪

• edited August 2019

• Can xequence 2 record midi from incoming audio, for example from an electron octatrack?

• @waterdrop said:
    Can xequence 2 record midi from incoming audio, for example from an electron octatrack?

No audio to midi conversion.

• Trying to get an Audiobus/AUM/Gadget setup going with Xequence2 but I can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong. Looking to run Gadget as a sound module only, using Autony in AUM to trigger a couple of Gadget synths and recording the midi to Xequence 2. I was hoping to layer more Autony over top of the recorded notes in Xequence. Anyone doing this that might have an Audiobus 3 preset? I’m stumped.

• @RJB said:
    Trying to get an Audiobus/AUM/Gadget setup going with Xequence2 but I can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong. Looking to run Gadget as a sound module only, using Autony in AUM to trigger a couple of Gadget synths and recording the midi to Xequence 2. I was hoping to layer more Autony over top of the recorded notes in Xequence. Anyone doing this that might have an Audiobus 3 preset? I’m stumped.

Have you read the section of the Xequence manual about getting it set up with Audiobus/AUM and Gadget?

• edited August 2019

Xequence 2.1 has just hit the App Store!

This is mostly a "general improvements all around the app" update, but contains one major new feature: MULTIPLE TAKES in loop recording!

Here's the full changelog. Enjoy!

NEW:

• MUL­TI-TAKE LOOP RECORD­ING: New "Sep­a­rate tracks" mode (en­abled by de­fault) in set­tings -> [ MIDI / Record­ing ] -> [ Loop Record­ing in Arranger ] -- each new loop will be record­ed onto a sep­a­rate arranger track au­to­mat­i­cal­ly. New takes are added only if notes or con­trollers have ac­tu­al­ly been played / re­ceived dur­ing that loop. Any and all takes can be pre­viewed by just un-mut­ing them one by one af­ter record­ing. When the per­fect take is found, tap­ping on the "..." menu of that take's track and then "Use this take" will delete all un­used takes of the cor­re­spond­ing record­ing ses­sion and move the se­lect­ed takes to the orig­i­nal­ly se­lect­ed track.

GEN­ER­AL IM­PROVE­MENTS:

• Tog­gling the song loop on or off dur­ing play­back no longer caus­es a glitch.
    • Au­diobus: In­creased the num­ber of avail­able MIDI In Ports from 8 to 16.
    • Undo: Sig­nif­i­cant­ly im­proved in­tel­li­gent view­port restora­tion af­ter "Undo" in all ed­i­tors.
    • Make loop progress in­di­ca­tor more vis­i­ble dur­ing record­ing.
    • Arranger: It is now pos­si­ble to delete the "main" track for an in­stru­ment with­out delet­ing the in­stru­ment it­self (the next track be­low it will be­come the "main" track).
    • Arranger: Im­proved draw­ing of mut­ed tracks.
    • Arranger: More ac­cu­rate con­troller data pre­views.
    • Pi­anoroll: Only cen­ter the view hor­i­zon­tal­ly on the new notes af­ter us­ing "Du­pli­cate", not ver­ti­cal­ly.
    • MIDI Out­put: Op­ti­mize all edit­ing op­er­a­tions so that they do not turn off run­ning notes dur­ing play­back when not log­i­cal­ly nec­es­sary (for ex­am­ple, when edit­ing con­troller data or note ve­loc­i­ties).
    • Make work­ing with triplet grids more cor­rect in var­i­ous edge cas­es.
    • In­creased PPQ from 16384 to 24576.
    • Var­i­ous op­ti­miza­tions.

MIDI FILE IM­PORT IM­PROVE­MENTS AND FIX­ES:

• More ro­bust im­port of MIDI files with a large num­ber of events or in­valid events.
    • Fix for an is­sue where the very first con­troller event on a track some­times wouldn't be im­port­ed.
    • Pro­gram changes are now im­port­ed at the cor­rect po­si­tion (i.e., not snapped to whole bars).
    • Pre­vent zero-length clips when a MIDI file track con­tains only one sin­gle con­troller event.
    • Make cen­tered con­trollers like Pan and Bal­ance ac­tu­al­ly use the "Cen­tered" op­tion.

MIDI FILE EX­PORT IM­PROVE­MENTS AND FIX­ES:

• Each arranger sub-track can now be ex­port­ed as a SEP­A­RATE track in the MIDI file even if it be­longs to the same in­stru­ment. New tog­gle "Sep­a­rate sub-tracks" in MIDI ex­port menu.
    • Fix in­creas­ing­ly in­ac­cu­rate tim­ing of ex­port­ed notes to­wards the end of a track (bug in­tro­duced in 2.0.7)

FIX­ES:

• Cor­rect­ed a few text la­bels.
    • Fix a pos­si­ble crash in cer­tain sce­nar­ios when record­ing dur­ing count-in with "Record dur­ing Count-In" dis­abled.
    • Fix a rare crash af­ter record­ing con­trollers into the pi­anoroll ed­i­tor, es­pe­cial­ly when us­ing "Gate" mode.
  • Thanks so much for your hard work!!!❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️🤗😉🙏

• Thank you... off to test..

• Well done, thanks !

• Loving the multi-take recording!

B)

• Never give a sucker an even break, it would be nice if the multi take loops could be comped....

• @BiancaNeve said:
    Never give a sucker an even break, it would be nice if the multi take loops could be comped....

Could you give a few more details on the workflow you imagine?

• @SevenSystems is there a little video demo about how the new multi takes feature works? I tried it on my iPhone SE and didn’t quite figure it out. Will try on the iPad later on the bigger screen, but a quickie demo video would be sweet.

Thanks for the update! :)

• edited August 2019

@skiphunt said:
    @SevenSystems is there a little video demo about how the new multi takes feature works? I tried it on my iPhone SE and didn’t quite figure it out. Will try on the iPad later on the bigger screen, but a quickie demo video would be sweet.

Thanks for the update! :)

Yes, there's an older video, but nothing much has changed since then:

But the manual has already been updated as well. (see the "Recording" chapter, section "Multi-Take Recording").