Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

WWDC 2019 - live discussion

Comments

• edited June 2019

@brambos said:
    iPadOS, ugh no. Let's hope this doesn't mean maintaining universal apps is going to be twice the amount of work.

There was a time when iOS was synonymous with "no fragmentation"... :/

Next WWDC we’ll have an os per device iPadOS, iPadMiniOs,iPhonexOS, iphoneXSOS, ...

In two years one OS per person : TimOS, BamOS,...
    😊😊😊

• @brambos said:

@Carnbot said:

@Samu said:
    I'm so happy the iPad Air 2 made it to iPadOS!

Yeah it's a real survivor that model. :)

Also still feels surprisingly capable and zippy for such an oldie.

I would agree - my wife has my old Air 2 and it's still crankin' along just fine.

• All supported devices

iPadOS

12.9-inch iPad Pro
    11-inch iPad Pro
    10.5-inch iPad Pro
    9.7-inch iPad Pro
    iPad (6th generation)
    iPad (5th generation)
    iPad mini (5th generation)
    iPad mini 4
    iPad Air (3rd generation)
    iPad Air 2

iOS 13

iPhone XS
    iPhone XS Max
    iPhone XR
    iPhone X
    iPhone 8
    iPhone 8 Plus
    iPhone 7
    iPhone 7 Plus
    iPhone 6s
    iPhone 6s Plus
    iPhone SE
    iPod touch (7th generation)

• @Samu said:

@brambos said:

@Carnbot said:

@Samu said:
    I'm so happy the iPad Air 2 made it to iPadOS!

Yeah it's a real survivor that model. :)

Also still feels surprisingly capable and zippy for such an oldie.

I love mine even though the battery is not as good as it used to be but I mostly use it hooked to the wall apart from casual movie watching and in those cases it lasts for 6-8 hours without major problems.

Also happy that my MacBook Air (13" Mid 2013) made it to macOS10.15!

Yeah the battery is basically gone in my Air2 so I use it plugged in but it's more in support of my 12.9 these days. But it's still really useful.

• Not sure that ARM would work out that well for Macs. Maybe for AIRs, but the performance of ARMs still lags Intel on the desktop/situations where power saving is less important. And Apple would lose a lot of cost savings as they'd have to start building their own hardware.

• @Jeezs said:

@brambos said:
    iPadOS, ugh no. Let's hope this doesn't mean maintaining universal apps is going to be twice the amount of work.

Next WWDC we’ll have an os per device iPadOS, iPadMiniOs,iPhonexOS, iphoneXSOS, ...

In two years one OS per person : TimOS, BamOS,...
    😊😊😊

BramOS? It'd be Mozaic all the way down

• @Samu said:

Where did you see those system reqs? Did the Mid 2012 MacBook Pro make it too? I'm using one of those at the moment.

• Anyone an idea if this USB function also works with Lightning to USB adapter, so for older iPad models?

• @ricksteruk said:

@Samu said:

Where did you see those system reqs? Did the Mid 2012 MacBook Pro make it too? I'm using one of those at the moment.

Bottom of this page...
    https://www.apple.com/macos/catalina-preview/

You should be good to go too :)

• @Jumpercollins said:

Any improvements to the iOS music world !

Separate emoji and globe keys, obvi.

• @greengrocer said:
    Anyone an idea if this USB function also works with Lightning to USB adapter, so for older iPad models?

No guarantee, but they have a footnote on the Dolby Atmos playback feature, saying it's only supported on the lastest Pros, and no such footnote on the External drive support feature: https://www.apple.com/ipados/ipados-preview/features/

• @brambos said:

So very this.

• @Samu said:

@ricksteruk said:

@Samu said:

Bottom of this page...

I was just about to ask the same question - looks like my MBP and Air 2 have just scraped through :)

• edited June 2019

@Samu said:

@SevenSystems said:
    Where's Phil Schiller?

Was just about to ask the same.
    Maybe he has to pay for 'being courageous' to remove the 3.5mm jack or something...

WWDC is Craig‘s show.

• A lot has been announced and all I can say is for some reason I fear this wonderfully-weird-middle-of-discovery era for iOS music is closing. I feel things are the best they have ever been for a hobbyist electronic/hip-hop/whatever gene mobile musician/producer who doesn't have hundreds of dollars for a DAW and quality-sounding, well-designed plugins.

With that said, I think I'm gonna go buy my first hardware synth and begin looking at hardware a lot more than I ever did before. I'm just really sceptical suddenly.

• @Samu said:

@ricksteruk said:

@Samu said:

Bottom of this page...

Awesome news :smiley: Thanks for the link @Samu

• Quite bizarre that support for iPod touch 6th Gen is dropped, while Apple was selling it till a month ago. First time for an Apple device that this happened AFAIK

• If the promised ‘desktop’ features really do deliver - in particular file saving onto an external drive, then my next laptop might be a bigger iPad.

• I’m not a developer so I might be wrong, but I got the impression that the new „multiple windows from the same app“ feature won’t work automatically for all apps. It seems to be more of an API to simultaneously edit several documents with one app, but we won’t get two IAA Animoogs side by side. Thoughts on this?

• I really hope we see some form of CPU throttling management, which is by far the biggest nuisance with the current Pro devices.

• edited June 2019

@greengrocer said:
    USB mouse support?

https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/06/03/new-ipados-lets-you-use-a-mouse-to-control-your-ipad-apps
    Some will love other hate, but if used correctly by the dev it can be great !!!

• edited June 2019

I found the new Mac Pro at lower price!!

• What puzzles me is the 3,5mm headphone jack on the Mac Pro. Hmm at the end of the day this seems to be a pro model. One year ago Apple told me that Pro models don’t need the headphonejack...

• Installed it just now can confirm that the old usb camera adapter works with usb 2.0 thumb drives. Using a hub I was able to use a usb 3 thumb drive cause the power message came up. Also have my wireless mouse adapter connected as well. The iPads will definitely be replacing the cheaper MacBooks and I’m all for it selfishly.

• Sidecar seems very promising for ableton live control with the apple pencil.
    Can’t wait to try this out!

• edited June 2019

@Philippe said:
    Sidecar seems very promising for ableton live control with the apple pencil.
    Can’t wait to try this out!

That’s just what I was thinking :smile:

Time to buy a 12in iPad!!

• edited June 2019

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/ios_ipados_release_notes/ios_ipados_13_beta_release_notes

Two highlights in the Audio section (not sure what the AVAudio new features mean):

• Audio Unit Extensions now support user presets that are available across all host applications.
    • Inter-App audio is deprecated. Use Audio Units for this functionality moving forward.

Edit: bah, I see that there's another thread with this info

• Well, we lose IAA (and Audiobus?), but at least there’s this:

Redesigned volume control
    The redesigned volume control appears in the upper-left corner, so it doesn’t interfere with your content.

https://www.apple.com/ipados/ipados-preview/features/

• edited June 2019

@whiteout said:
    Well, we lose IAA (and Audiobus?), but at least there’s this:

Redesigned volume control
    The redesigned volume control appears in the upper-left corner, so it doesn’t interfere with your content.

https://www.apple.com/ipados/ipados-preview/features/

And a lot of functions only supported for iPad Pro 2018 :(