Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Daw concept on ios is obsolete

Comments

• Everyone has their opinions, mine is that Daws are far from obsolete on IOS, I record a lot of live guitars , Bass and vocals, and I’m a fan of Aum, but for certain things their are much better solutions for me personally.

• edited April 2019

@McD said:

@jonmoore said:
    And for the record regarding the discussion, my frustrations are with the hype that makes people think and act in totalitarian ways.

Try to stick with ideas and not make it personal. I can think of many developers that could
    have been the poster child for "selling and moving on" as an IOS business model. Balancing the business, the software effort and marketing (which is "hype") is so hard only a few have figured it out.

If the product doesn't succeed we really get abandoned as the developer just moves on to other business opportunities.

You picked a developer to use that has a huge amount of goodwill in this community and probably lost 1,000 Karma points in the effort to make a point.

I did that once with BeatMaker 3 as an "example" and learned a simple lesson. Keep the opinion but apologize for the pain you caused without intending to do so. If you feel OK causing pain then you'll probably have to accept consequences. You knew you were sorry but wanted to make the point about some developers and you knew you'd be torn apart for hitting some nerves.

Ideas are worth fighting for but attacking people in a good natured community is not.

I appreciate all your ideas. I'd hate to see you pushed you out as being too angry and mean. That's how it came across.

Don't worry say what you feel. I've always enjoyed our exchanges.

But I didn't attack @brambos. I wrongly suggested that he doesn't add features to apps after launch and have apologised for that suggestion.

Sure, I suggested that he's hyping an unproven iOS concept over more traditional DAWs when more traditional DAWs provide great value for money and a constant stream of support, improvements and innovations. And for many potential customers, a traditional DAW is a better purchase decision for those reasons. The independent developer behind Nanostudio has just as much right as @brambos to earn a living but he decides to do it with a different business model.

I'm not blaming @brambos for the unpleasantness that saw the Nanostudio 2 thread closed by Michael last night but much of that unpleasantness was of the DAW Wars variety.

Where I disagree with you is that hype is fair game. Advertising and marketing are not synonyms for hype. Unfortunately, in the age of web marketing, hype is the only form of advertising and marketing.

When I worked in advertising I found hype-laden viral marketing debasing to any concept of brand values. And now that I'm no longer in the game, that view has only grown stronger.

Rather than believing that good quality developers abandon iOS because they lack expertise in the dark arts of hype. I strongly believe that it's hype itself that means that high-quality developers are unable to secure the share of voice necessary to have a sustainable business model.

Every time I see I developer infringe another's copyright by designing the interface to look like a real-world product even though it sounds nothing like it or worse still to name the product with an existing product name, it makes me think that both we the customers and other good quality developers are losing out to these cowboys.

I don't consider myself to be mean or mealy-mouthed, and I'm pretty certain that my friends don't regard me in that vain either. But neither am I afraid of saying what I think, even if it means I lose kudus-points.

• @jonmoore said:
    And for the record regarding the discussion, my frustrations are with the hype that makes people think and act in totalitarian ways.

You'll get fanboys on any platform. I've had my ass chewed on the NS2 thread, but that's all part of the fun.

One of the good things about this forum is there's a clump of us who will tell it as it is, without any bias, not caring if they get their asses chewed. There are folks on here who's opinions I take seriously as they'll happily point out bugs or missing features, and I'll wait to hear what they say about a new release before I dive in. If they say it's good, I know it will be. You just need to learn who to listen to, and who to ignore.

@jonmoore said:
    If I'm mistaken about @brambos moving on from apps after launch, I apologise for getting that wrong. But yet again, I never accused him of not fixing bugs.

I think it's fair for me to say that it's not unreasonable for customers to hope that the products they purchase are subject to further innovation after launch.

But not fair to tag him and quote "once you launch an app you seldom add features based on customer feedback", because that's simply untrue, and unfair on a dev that's worked very hard to keep us miserable buggers happy.

• @MonzoPro said:

But not fair to tag him and quote "once you launch an app you seldom add features based on customer feedback", because that's simply untrue, and unfair on a dev that's worked very hard to keep us miserable buggers happy.

And that's what I'm apologising for.

I believe I was left with that impression recently with regard to enhancements to the LFO feature in @brambos Rozeta. Something to do with the existing time options not being long enough. But I'm sure I took that out of context. And seeing as the Brambos rule seems to be that any feature request to be of benefit to over 80% of customers, I can see why what might appear to be a reasonable request was turned down.

• edited April 2019

@jonmoore excellent post. (Except the @brambos stuff. I disagree with that. )

@OnfraySin said:
    Maybe is good idea starts a new topic about one thought that I said a few times here.

The fact that the DAW concept on ios in obsolete. Specially after the long hype waited for NS2....and fading interest about it.

Brambros starts a new paradigm with Rozetta suite. The “modular framework” that AU midi provides to iOS changes radically a lot of users workflow.

Even changes others developers. There are a lot of examples of this.

The way that “all the forum” waits and asks and use Atom, for example, is another example towards this shift conception.

Imho, iPad/iPhone is heading to a powerful creation platform, where one idea develops very well with a huge available modular tools.

Inspiration, creation, experimentation....and with a touchscreen in a DAW, you lost a lot of this.

Anyone agrees?

Seems like you more have a beef with NS2 because you’ve not been able to use it do what you want to do. Just because you can’t write a tune in it doesn’t mean others can’t do it. Some might actually prefer to. It’s your worldview, but not the worldview. Why wouldn’t you just encourage people to use whatever they want instead of presuming you know what’s going on with all the people out there? You have literally no idea any more than anyone else does on what people use and how. You claim it as fact which is silly.

For my own music, i’m not creating 60 tracks in AUM and try to generate some orchestral pieces. If you want to do that, have fun. I’m more than pleased with NS2 and see peeps cranking out songs of all sorts of variety. You can’t put all iOS musicians in the same box any more than you can do it with anything else in life. We do what we want. If I want to start and finish a song in one box, that’s my choice. And apparently developers and companies are still writing software that support that. I don’t have to export my crap onto the desktop. I can and have, but I also just like to say “what can I get out of just using NS2 or BM3 or Auxy” (NOTE: my own preferred sequencers, not all others suck :wink: ). I’ve exported stuff from Auxy and NS1 into Live on my desktop and had fun there too. I don’t have to only do it one way. I’m working in NS2 right now end to end because I enjoy it and don’t care if the end result could be better if I migrated all the MIDI to the desktop and replaced plugins or used partially rendered stuff from NS2 or whatever. I just like to say hey, I did all this right here all in NS2. I think it’s fun.

That said, I can write music on anything and in anything. I don’t care. I’ll use whatever makes sense for whatever i’m doing. It’s all just brushes for a canvas.

To say that “the DAW is dead” is presumptuous. I see no evidence of that at all and your Anecdotal evidence is flimsy to me. People want ATOM’s Piano Roll because they want to have more of the capabilities of sequencing. To me it sounds like they want some more control of the chaos. I bought it as well and have started to experiment with it in AUM and it’s amazing. It’s what I’ve been missing from AUM!

But personally, it’s not converting me away from linear for actual song creation. For those that choose to do that, however, that’s great for them and encourage it! I hear what people are doing with just AUM, some AU’s and just Fugue, like this absolutely amazing live piece done by PerplexOn...

)

I’m Just stunned at his creativity. But he could do that in whatever he wanted to because...he’s f***ing good. That’s the key. There’s a ton of bad randomly-generated music out there just like there is a bunch of bad linear music out there. It’s the artist that dictates that end result. For example, I suck at randomization. The _music_ (if you could call it that), to me, sounds terrible. I dabble in it and want to improve because _jamming_ is fun and creative in its own way. I don’t care though because it’s just another thing for me to learn and get better at. But it doesn’t just have to be on an iPad or desktop. I like to play the piano and let my mind wander and not record or worry about playing whatever came out ever again. Just that it happened. But that doesn’t mean that’s all I ever want to do :lol:

So yeah, Non-random/linear thought out music isn’t dying off. Ever. I know what notes I want to play, so I like to actually play them myself. And I don’t think i’m alone. I’m a musician and like to do stuff on my own. You can’t stop me! :lol:

@McD I thought your summation as to why you use AUM for your creative outlet was elegant. And your nod to the thoughtful song creator is appreciated. We all want to be creative in our own way and it absolutely doesn’t have to be the same way. That’s what makes it fun!

• I'm glad I had friends that know me. One of mine suggested once:

"Stop poking the bear. Would you rather be right or effective?"

"I'd rather be right."

"OK. That's why people don't like you. Can you pretend to be wrong about anything?"

"Sure."

I can never stop poking that damn bear. I recognize the righteously indignant like looking in the mirror. I crave strong, well-stated opinions so I can make them mine.

Carry on with the food fight. Just don't use the cutlery as weapons.

• @drez said:
    To say that “the DAW is dead” is presumptuous.

It's a writing prompt. A really good one obviously.

You make a solid case for a workflow that is most efficiently managed by an excellent DAW.

• @MonzoPro said:
    Not really. At the end of the day you need something to put all the bits together with.

I’m a big fan of AUM based jamming, but the results on their own don’t really cut the mustard.

Use everything, that’s my motto.

Thread over in 3 posts. I normally hate when people claim 'thread over' but in this case I feel very strongly about this being a sensible post that combats a pretty clueless blanket statement. If that's the way things are for you OP, more power to you; carry on. There's no way I could create, and especially finish, a 'professional-quality' track without Auria.

• there are times i work with a daw, there are times i'm just noodling, there are times i like to work in a closed environment and there are times i play with auv's and iaa's. as long as you enjoy writing music!

i'm an appholic, so it doesn't really matter. ;)

• edited April 2019

I like the freedom to jam at will with whatever I’m feeling at the moment inside of, AUM. It keeps me in check and reminds me of how it was before I actually started using a computer, then my iPad and iPhone. Back then for me it was DIN sync and control voltage. Then the mmt8, then the Roland MC50 with cv to midi. I like the idea of AUM because it makes me work for it as far as getting results in a much different way of composing compared to arranging in a DAW. I’m very happy that we have CB, Auria, Stagelight, NS2, ect. For me there’s no real limitation anymore on the iOS platform. I’m grateful that I’ve worked so hard to make iOS work for me for so long. I’ve almost given up a few times but there’s no excuse to now. Because of all the workaround and troubleshooting I’ve learned an enormous amount in a relatively short time. iOS music creation has forced me to work hard and to not be lazy. This is completely priceless and motivating to me as a musician/ audio freak. So imho AUM has allowed me to remember the huge value in just syncing stuff up and using my ear and acquired audio skills to get not only great but fun results. Taking that and then having another stage to create after the jamming, discovery stage, into my DAW of choice to further work and surgically try and perfect! I wouldn’t change it for today. Awesome!!!

• Hmmm, everyone sure has been having a lot of fun. Just to make sure I have gotten this clear... the op was riled on the NS2 thread? And that was closed? And then he dressed the gutted pig in lingerie and began again? Have I got it? Probably not.

@brambos, you have gotten so much praise here, and from what I can tell, well deserved. Yet all those accolades will not help you sleep because just one person (and he admits he was mistaken) hurt you with his comments. I would feel the same. We all would. That is our human nature. If we could be conscious of the tremendous power of a negative remark I am sure we would limit making them. But we prefer to feed ourselves even if others will starve because of it. That is the nature of human unconsciousness. I am Spartacus!

I just bought a new app on sale.... Dance Your Ass Off for iOS. It revives that centuries old plug in “How Many Angels Dancing On Your Pin(head)? Perfect for someone with as much leisure time as I have. Well, so far I have 10,597 angels dancing on my host pin. Oops...just had a glitch. Only three angels left and they are frozen in rather unangelic attitudes. Well, it is iOS after all... and I do have the rest of the weekend. Can’t wait for the update!

Ralph Waldo Emerson: “A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds.”
    Yogi Berra: “When you come to a fork in the road... take it.”

• When is this thread going to be closed? Soon I hope. :/

• @richardyot said:
    When is this thread going to be closed? Soon I hope. :/

Why ?

• @Korakios said:

@richardyot said:

Why ?

There's nothing here but pointless bickering. Sometimes a good bun fight can be fun, but this one is all noise and no signal.

• A lot of people misunderstood my post.

Some things,

• I have only one daw-app....NS2
    • I use Ableton on desktop
    • I will continue use NS2 and Ableton.
    • I don’t think that all daw’s are dead.

But the new apps, the users requests....all of this seems oriented to a more modular workflow.

• ...and @jonmoore has finally given me the motivation to add the much requested ignore functionality to the forum! You were being a right ass, plain and simple Jon. It's not ban worthy, but it's certainly ignore worthy, and enough to push me over the threshold.

For others reading this: discussion and debate, fine. Personal attacks? I'd rather you leave this community.

• @richardyot said:

@Korakios said:

@richardyot said:

Why ?

There's nothing here but pointless bickering. Sometimes a good bun fight can be fun, but this one is all noise and no signal.

Noise is nice :)

@OnfraySin said:
    A lot of people misunderstood my post.

Some things,

But the new apps, the users requests....all of this seems oriented to a more modular workflow.

Maybe people are tired of waiting new features on big DAWs ?

• @Korakios said:
    Maybe people are tired of waiting new features on big DAWs ?

The model app on Appstore is more convenient for a lot “little” apps rather than a big and closed app.

Even for the developers!!! I think is more attractive make and maintain Atom or Rozetta than Cubasis or NS2

• @OnfraySin said:
    A lot of people misunderstood my post.

Some things,

Oh...sorry @OnfraySin, I guess I did misunderstand your post? To me, it sounded matter of fact, though. Like you were declaring this is the way it is moving based on what you perceive as poor sales of NS2. Plus, based on your previous posts I've read from you recently:

So my post above was coming from the angle of why it seemed like you believe the current iOS DAW's are dead, because...it seems like you feel that way. Which is fine! But, because its a discussion forum, people are going to go ahead and...discuss :lol: ...and you've gotten a bunch of different opinions! Which is what we all would expect :smiley: I think its been a very enlightening thread. I don't understand why everybody wants threads closed all the time. Other than the named incident by Michael, there's been no personal attacks. Its just been dicussion. If you don't like the discussion, just walk out of the room? Nobody has a gun to anyone's head forcing them to read it (...I hope)

• edited April 2019

@drez said:
    So my post above was coming from the angle of why it seemed like you believe the current iOS DAW's are dead, because...it seems like you feel that way.

I’m talking about daw concept. And I’m talking about NS2 because after a months of hype and the feeling that NS2 will be the next standard....the big wave from au midi apps seems amazing and generates more interest.

I’m not talking about that DAW ARE DEAD. I’m talking that the daw concept seems obsolete or at least, old-fashioned

• edited April 2019

I think the whole debate can be summed up pretty concisely: There's simply two different types of USERS, NOT of DAW concepts. One of them is the "noodler", which is probably 90% or 95% of them. They just want to "play around", enjoy and combine the sounds and effects, etc... that's probably also the demographic that thinks that the DAW is "obsolete". And for them, it is, or rather, it never was "mainstream".

Then there's those who actually want to compose, arrange and mix whole productions on iOS. Yes, that's possible, and no, that cannot be done with AUM + plugins (at least not currently, and not in a practically useful manner), no matter how far you stretch the concept, because there's no way to put together and structure "the whole thing". That's the other 5% to 10% of users.

This "divide" slowly occured to me after I released Xequence and realized that I'm feeding pretty much a non-existant market :D (I've always been very talented at making stuff that nobody wants or needs!).

So you can all go back to bed now! ;) (IMPORTANT: I do NOT intend "devalue" the "noodlers". Both demographics are equally "valid" and both markets are, too. But the DAW is definitely not obsolete. It just never was what most people on iOS wanted or needed.)

Hobby psychologist out! ;)

• @mistercharlie said:
    AUM is a digital audio workstation. What else could you call it?

Übermixer

• @LinearLineman said:
    Hmmm, everyone sure has been having a lot of fun.

If it said "Cubasis is obsolete" what would you reply? It's a writing prompt. @LinearLineman has often asked these types of implied 'questions' to start a conversation.

Anyone that doesn't want to continue the discussion should use the "back" button and scan for a better topic. It's a bicycle vs skateboard type of comparison but it brings up details and ideas that open doors into new rooms.

Writing "This should be over" implies we all have something better to be doing.

• iOS DAW’s are an obsolete game changing paradigm shift...

• @MonkeyDrummer said:
    iOS DAW’s are an obsolete game changing paradigm shift...

Oh my goodness, I reckon that's my buzz-word bingo card full. :)

Nicely down good sir.

• I love the idea behind the AUM modular approach, the biggest thing keeping it from being my goto workflow on iPad is stability.
    I can hardly remember the last time Gadget crashed, making it the ideal distraction-free environment for me. (Plus the whole limitation breeds creativity thing going for it)

Nothing throws off my inspiration & flow more than having AU or IAA devices shut down or glitch out halfway into a project. Perhaps my collection is just too large, w/ a few wildcards that may be causing the lions share of problems and I just need to narrow it down to the most rock solid of the bunch.

• Thanks @Michael for the ignore feature. I think it will do a lot to help people (myself included) to consider well before making things personal. And, since there are often vast differences in what some people consider as offensive and others do not, everyone has a way to adjust to their preference.

One of the greatest unpleasantness of reading some threads is the vast struggle to keep my mouth shut when someone sets me off ... and the misgivings I have when I fail. I’m very happy to have a way to avoid this!

One question ... does the ignored person have any indication that someone has ignored them?

• @SevenSystems. Very levelheaded. I am a bit shocked at the disparity you describe (being in the 5%). I know what I think about my own involvement, but not sure what to think about the alleged “noodlers”, or hobbyists. There are so many knowledgeable folks on this forum that it seems way beyond being a hobby for many, even if their tracks are not in song form. I am biased because I hate when someone talks about my musical “hobby”. Maybe it is not such a loaded word for most.

@McD, what! Cubasis is obsolete! Now you tell me!! Btw, Steinberg is owned by Yamaha. Not much chance abandonware will set in.

• @LinearLineman I don't have serious statistics about that, of course. But my gut feeling is that the vast majority of users at least on this forum do not finish songs, but prefer to just "indulge in sound and experimentation". And that's OK if that's what the majority wants. We have free markets (at least in Ireland :))

• @wim said:
    One question ... does the ignored person have any indication that someone has ignored them?

No worries! I held out on principle but yep, I can see it's going to be helpful. No idea about notifications, but I doubt it. Here, I'll ignore you now, see if you see anything.

This discussion has been closed.