Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Daw concept on ios is obsolete

Comments

• edited April 2019

nevermind

• @Michael said:

@wim said:
    One question ... does the ignored person have any indication that someone has ignored them?

No worries! I held out on principle but yep, I can see it's going to be helpful. No idea about notifications, but I doubt it. Here, I'll ignore you now, see if you see anything.

Nope. But my cat just hissed at me, and my wife dumped my PJ’s and pillow on the couch ...

• @wim said:

@Michael said:

@wim said:
    One question ... does the ignored person have any indication that someone has ignored them?

No worries! I held out on principle but yep, I can see it's going to be helpful. No idea about notifications, but I doubt it. Here, I'll ignore you now, see if you see anything.

Nope. But my cat just hissed at me, and my wife dumped my PJ’s and pillow on the couch ...

Yep that's it!

• If only we could learn to ignore people after they have written the unforgivable text.
    All we usually want is an apology for any personal pain inflicted.

"I meant no harm" does not constitute an apology just an excuse.

Ignore me.

The problem with using "ignore" is you know they are still writing the unforgivable only you
    don't know for sure. Only YOU won't know. So, you'll create another account to peek and
    so it goes. The pain is not addressed effectively.

• wimwim
    edited April 2019

• edited April 2019

@Michael said:

@wim said:

@Michael said:

@wim said:

Yep that's it!

Where is the ignore feature? Or, are you two just goofin’?

I’m on an iPhone at the moment. If there really is an ignore feature... praise be!!!!

Edit: never mind, I just found hit. Yaaaayyyy!!!!

• Funny thing though... I started ignoring on Facebook (or snoozing for 30 days) everyone who annoyed me. Within a couple weeks, my newsfeed was nearly empty.

At this point, instead of missing all the annoying chatter, I began to realize how much I actually loathe Facebook. ;)

• edited April 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @skiphunt said:

Where is the ignore feature? Or, are you two just goofin’?

I’m on an iPhone at the moment. If there really is an ignore feature... praise be!!!!

Edit: never mind, I just found hit. Yaaaayyyy!!!!

Yeah, I like the implementation. Thanks, @Michael!

• @SevenSystems said:
    Any examples of complete, at least 3 minutes long, fully arranged ;) ;) ;) songs, with a normal buildup and drops (Intro / Verse / Chorus) that have been created purely using AUM and plugins? (Atom is not allowed!) 😁

Excellent point that everybody is ignoring 😄
    The “Dawless” approach is clearly not for all music in general, but for a few and very specific genres. DAW concept is very alive and it will be for a loooong time...

• Cubasis is there...but seriously , i dont know what changed whether it was an ios update or a cubasis update but it freezes all the damn time now.

Bm3, aum, ab3, and cubasis collectively work as a daw for me. i dont mind multiple apps. i actually like tying them all together but they dont always play nice.

Cubasis is so close

• The freezing thing is probably because of an exciting new iOS MIDI bug. Hopefully be fixed some time

• Aw man.
    I can’t ignore myself?
    :D

• I’m all in on AUM and AU midi. I mean I’d love to trust a DAW but I can’t seem to find one that routes AU midi and audio well enough without having stability issues. Pairing AUM and Xequence is great but I’d love to stay within one app. NS2 will be interesting to watch. Hope to see a BM3 update soon as that was where I was most comfortable. I’d like to see the scene switcher for Atom. Recording in photon is great for jamming. For now I’m pretty happy noodling but between Atom and photon my noodles have lengthened. That sounds so dirty...

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited April 2019
  • edited April 2019

i'm doing lot of jams in NS .. i found it less limiting for jamming than AUM or ApeMatrix.. I allows me to have control over more complicated setups and audio/midi routings..

most of my tracks started as random jams from empy project - i just keep addding and adding, recording etc etc - usually i save result of that jam, then i return it after some time, deleted 80% of recorded material but from the rest of that stuff i usually build full length track..

From this point of view i alway liked jto am inside DAW - just for that theoretic possibility that i would later want to move things to next level, add proper mixing, edit details, automations, etc...

So, i don't think this os some kind of paradigm fight. Simply there are apps which works for you and there are those which not. It is strongly related to your music genere, your origins, background, your motivstions and intentions.. It's not objectivr reality, just pure subjective mixture of feelings and inspirations..

In creative art, nothing is obsolete and never will be...

@drez @Morgman73 @EyeOhEss I like guys what you added to topic, very much agree with your opinions in this thread !

• @EyeOhEss said:
    Ah, the internet....

The ’Ignore button’ joy makes me sad. Sounds like folks would rather construct echo chambers than find common ground :(

This !

• wimwim
    edited April 2019

It’s not productive or pleasant for certain people to interact with certain other people, that’s all. I don’t see that as a problem.

• @EyeOhEss said:
    The ’Ignore button’ joy makes me sad.

Me too but it's good to have the option if someone keeps coming at you with
    negatives. I "ignored" someone and it's trivial to undo it. Just another tool like the Emoji with braces on it's teeth :#

• edited April 2019
  • Yep, I find the "ignore" button rather disappointing as well. From the gut it says more to me about the ignorer than the ignoree. Simply that we have about enough stress in life as we can handle and coming to the playground just to get into a fight is not what most of us need. Maybe.

If you look at our little community as an entity one could apply Ekhart Tolle's concept of "pain body" to the inevitable, periodic outbreaks of anger and frustration. Here is how Tolle defines it...

Quote...There is such a thing as old emotional pain living inside you. It is an accumulation of painful life experience that was not fully faced and accepted in the moment it arose. It leaves behind an energy form of emotional pain. It comes together with other energy forms from other instances, and so after some years you have a “painbody,” an energy entity consisting of old emotion.

It lives in human beings, and it is the emotional aspect of egoic consciousness. When the ego is amplified by the emotion of the painbody, the ego has enormous strength still — particularly at those times. It requires very great presence so that you can be there as the space also for your painbody, when it arises.

That is everybody’s job here — to be there, to recognize the painbody when it shifts from dormant to active, when something triggers a very strong emotional reaction. At that moment, when it does take over your mind, the internal dialogue, which is dysfunctional at the best of times, now becomes the voice of the painbody talking to you internally. Everything it says is deeply colored by the old, painful emotion of the painbody. Every interpretation, everything it says, every judgment about your life, about other people, about a situation you are in, will be totally distorted by the old emotional pain. End quote.

Of course denial is an easy way to avoid the rising in the gorge known as painbody. I utilize it myself whenever possible and to excess. However, avoidance does not help one to become conscious of the habitual process that snatches our wellbeing on a regular basis and replaces it with the frothing fear and self righteous anger (amongst other reactive states) of a desperate and inchoate child. If we, as a community, could recognize these moments (and some individuals here do) we might have a different perspective into the value of a painbody triggering thread as an opportunity for greater consciousness. On the other hand, many can rightfully contest that this is not a consciousness raising forum, but simply a fun and informative way to pursue one's "hobby".

I would agree with this, except for the uniqueness @Michael, and core participants over the years, have instilled into the fabric of this place. There are minds here with broad horizons and well defined dreams. The connection of music, consciousness and society are so closely interwoven (in my mind, anyway) that it is a disservice to fellow musicians not to explore the deeper underpinnings of music creation in whatever format. Sure, maybe less than 10% are interested in such stuff, but the painbody provoking thread is very useful IMO as it is an opportunity for self awareness. It is my belief that the connection between making music and self awareness is so close as to be, for all intents and purposes, indistinguishable.

In other words, the more self aware the better the music. Even banal fora will address the needs of all of its members once in a while. Though, from my limited experience, they lack the emotional maturity to even attempt to become self aware. Here the case is somewhat different. More respect, more humility, more willingness for new insights are present. If I had to think of one member who exemplifies this for me it would be @drez (and not just cause he likes my stuff). Whenever I read his evenhanded posts I am impressed by the goodwill he projects, his openness, willingness to learn and contribute and conscious neutrality at times of conflict. I don't know how he does it, but he projects a strong personality without ego. Definitely someone to learn from.

So, (in conclusion), for me, the ignore button is not helpful. To artificially shut out the regular pain triggers to our often tormented egos does not lead anywhere. To meet them head on with awareness is the ultimate solution and elimination of the "inevitable" and periodic suffering we, as unconscious beings, must face on the road to self awareness.

The mystic, Gurdjieff, felt that putting people in contexts of unavoidable friction ( I.e. Working together) creates the opportunity to see and take advantage of these moments for potential growth. He would walk into the barn and say "freeze!" Then everyone would take inventory of their state of being. Without constant exposure of the egoic wound to the light of awareness, impossible without periodic strife, we will always be victim to our collected memories of pain and thus always react with defensiveness in its various forms.

Tolle also writes of the collective painbodies of groups. Jews, African Americans, Germans, America Firsters, etc... it is easy to see the constantly smoldering tinderbox of pain that erupts when the painbody must be fed. Group consciousness can only be accomplished one mind at a time until a tipping point is reached. Then something magical is indeed possible. My opinion, but Tolle might agree.

And, no, I do not think the DAW concept is obsolete. I just never thought anyone could connect it to the painbody. Ah, the power of the human imagination.

• edited April 2019

On topic , the modular approach (instead of ‘traditional’ linear DAW) would be more efficient IMO ,if the host could support scenes. It could be emulated with mute/solo macros inside a sequencer ,but hopefully AB3 (or AUM ,apeMatrix) will include it some day....

Hopefully other users would use the “spoiler” button for off topic stuff :)

• The thing that saddens me this morning is that I've been singled out for one I'll judged post. And this has resulted in nasty PM's to both my SoundCloud and Facebook fan pages and a number of passive/aggressive posts where I'm tagged even though the post doesn't directly name me. In all the nastiness in the Nanostudio 2 thread I made one (uncontroversial) post, yet today I'm being singled out as the villain of the piece. The AudioBus forum has a reputation for heated debates that often become unpleasant, and I'm in no way the cause of that, yet today the focus is on me.

None of what I'm saying here is ego-centric, but I am a relatively well-known producer working with some pretty major acts. Only last week I had a well-received Roxy Music remix in stores as part of a project to remix their debut album. And I used an iOS tool on that remix (Audio Damage Enso). And was actually in the process of organising some PR for Audio Damage to celebrate the fact of using an iOS Looper to rework Eno's original tape loops, on a track which was the first time he used the technique on a commercial release (the track in question is 2HB).

Since before christmas, I made a decision to be an active member of this community as I'm a huge believer in iOS as a music technology platform. I think I've also been generous with my time so as to answer questions and share knowledge when it's been requested. I don't force music on anybody but occasionally mention the music I've released when it seems contextual (but I'd say that's happened on less than 1% of posts I've made).

I admittedly only see iOS as a part of the production mix of tools available to me and still use a desktop DAW as my primary production hub. And I don't cower from sharing my opinions. But I've never used harsh aggressive language when communication those opinions. Even in yesterdays, ill-judged post, I don't believe I was aggressive. It definitely lacked tact but it certainly wasn't aggressive

I now feel that my voice is an unwelcome one and am considering whether to continue as an active voice in this community.

• @jonmoore said:
    The thing that saddens me this morning is that I've been singled out for one I'll judged post. And this has resulted in nasty PM's to both my SoundCloud and Facebook fan pages and a number of passive/aggressive posts where I'm tagged even though the post doesn't directly name me. In all the nastiness in the Nanostudio 2 thread I made one (uncontroversial) post, yet today I'm being singled out as the villain of the piece. The AudioBus forum has a reputation for heated debates that often become unpleasant, and I'm in no way the cause of that, yet today the focus is on me.

None of what I'm saying here is ego-centric, but I am a relatively well-known producer working with some pretty major acts. Only last week I had a well-received Roxy Music remix in stores as part of a project to remix their debut album. And I used an iOS tool on that remix (Audio Damage Enso). And was actually in the process of organising some PR for Audio Damage to celebrate the fact of using an iOS Looper to rework Eno's original tape loops, on a track which was the first time he used the technique on a commercial release (the track in question is 2HB).

Since before christmas, I made a decision to be an active member of this community as I'm a huge believer in iOS as a music technology platform. I think I've also been generous with my time so as to answer questions and share knowledge when it's been requested. I don't force music on anybody but occasionally mention the music I've released when it seems contextual (but I'd say that's happened on less than 1% of posts I've made).

I admittedly only see iOS as a part of the production mix of tools available to me and still use a desktop DAW as my primary production hub. And I don't cower from sharing my opinions. But I've never used harsh aggressive language when communication those opinions. Even in yesterdays, ill-judged post, I don't believe I was aggressive. It definitely lacked tact but it certainly wasn't aggressive

I now feel that my voice is an unwelcome one and am considering whether to continue as an active voice in this community.

I am the only one who read this, as I have not implemented the ignore function.

• @ALB said:

@jonmoore said:
    The thing that saddens me this morning is that I've been singled out for one I'll judged post. And this has resulted in nasty PM's to both my SoundCloud and Facebook fan pages and a number of passive/aggressive posts where I'm tagged even though the post doesn't directly name me. In all the nastiness in the Nanostudio 2 thread I made one (uncontroversial) post, yet today I'm being singled out as the villain of the piece. The AudioBus forum has a reputation for heated debates that often become unpleasant, and I'm in no way the cause of that, yet today the focus is on me.

I am the only one who read this, as I have not implemented the ignore function.

Well, it appears that my decision has been made for me.

Echo chambers have never been healthy places of debate. Confirmation bias made large! :(

• tjatja
    edited April 2019

@jonmoore The way you seem to believe that what you do, or for whom, plays any role or is interesting in this forum may even explain your behavior a bit.

Just let me tell you that it is totally unimportant if you are successful or even famous, it plays no role for any other person here and you should not let your own opinion of yourself color what you write.

I am often lacking tact myself and can get aggressive in what i write, esp. if i feel helpless against something, but i believe that i never realy get personal or unfair in that. My feeling was, that you did get so.

• edited April 2019

@tja I don't believe that my success or otherwise makes me better than anybody else or means that my opinions carry any more weight. But I do believe that my experience hopefully means my opinions are considered.

I've apologised more than once for what I said about @brambos.

However, is it wrong for me to be of the opinion that Ruismaker and Ruismaker FM should provide a consistent UX. e.g. In Ruismaker, you can load individual pads with drum sounds via a tap on the tooltip, in Ruismaker FM that option doesn't exist. Is it wrong of me to expect that Ruismaker and Ruismaker FM should offer the ability to save and recall individual drum sounds as well as banks as the AUv3 tech spec now allows for instruments and performances as well as banks to be saved (to use Layr Synth naming conventions) and this only seems sensible with regards to the delivery of multitimbral saving capabilities. Is asking those questions disrespectful to the developer? And are any of those questions I raise fringe cases that aren't relevant to 80% of Ruismaker customers? Is the integratation of any of those options what might be considered to be feature-creep. Both Ruismaker and Ruismaker FM are still being sold on the App Store so is it wrong to hope that their available features should stay current with the AUv3 technical standards as they change over time?

These are some of the questions in my mind that informed my questioning of @brambos's approach to ongoing support with regard to feature requests. I didn't get into this yesterday, as I realised I had caused offense and was attempting to be graceful.

I've asked similar questions in recent weeks about Plugin Delay Compensation in iOS hosts in general or the synthesis capabilities in VirSyn AudioLayer. Does this mean I'm being unfair to the respective developers?

I'm making no accusations here, simply asking questions.

This discussion has been closed.