Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

SlenderSalamander44khz16bit EXS.zip For AudioLayer

To use:

Download the original SlenderSalamander44khz16bit at the following site, and copy the samples into the SlenderSalamander44khz16bit EXS subfolder named, "Samples".

Slender Salamander is here (44k/16-bit):
https://musical-artifacts.com/artifacts/534

Comments

• edited March 2019

Hm. It starts to import the samples but always crashes during import - sadly.

It never finishes the instrument itself.
    Doesnt matter if iCloud is turned on or off (regarding the storing method).
    Sorry

——

Update:
    Starting it all on the iCloud Drive-meaning the whole import made it work.
    So - got it working in the end.

• @Audiojunkie Very nice!!!

Does the same procedure work for the full sized Salamander (which should be the version within Auria Pro)?

The smaller version already works for me in bs-16i, but sadly not the large version - this is why I hoped that AudioLayer could jump into the gap and save the day :)

• @tja said:
    @Audiojunkie Very nice!!!

Does the same procedure work for the full sized Salamander (which should be the version within Auria Pro)?

The smaller version already works for me in bs-16i, but sadly not the large version - this is why I hoped that AudioLayer could jump into the gap and save the day :)

Do you mean, “Is the translation procedure the same with the bigger version as it is with the smaller version?” (Yes). Or are you talking to @MrBlaschke and referring to the installation procedure?

• tjatja
    edited March 2019

@Audiojunkie said:

@tja said:

Do you mean, “Is the translation procedure the same with the bigger version as it is with the smaller version?” (Yes). Or are you talking to @MrBlaschke and referring to the installation procedure?

To be honest, I just assumed or hoped that I could load the big library and use the ESX together with that.
    Just wanted to get the (big) Salamander into AudioLayer.
    I don't understand nothing about the process and am also totally iPad-based.

• Sl> @tja said:

The full Salamander can also be ported but needs a different EXS24 file since the full Salamander uses additional samples not in slender salamander.

@MrBlaschke : what hardware and is are you using? Did you power-cycle or soft reboot before importing?

I have had a few instruments that crashed the first time I tried to import that imported fine the second time.

I've managed to load full Salamander in AudioLayer on an iPad 6th Gen and an even larger piano (an adaptation of Ivy in 162). I am still tweaking them and will share the AL files when I figure out the right settings for the hammer release, harmonics and pedal layers. Not sure how Lyra deals with those.

• @Audiojunkie said:
    To use:

Download the original SlenderSalamander44khz16bit at the following site, and copy the samples into the SlenderSalamander44khz16bit EXS subfolder named, "Samples".

Very cool. Tx. I am curious to try it. Did the tool come up with good settings for the hammer noise and harmonics? (I won't get to try these out today, probably).

• I am intrigued. Hopefully some day will there be a sort of manual that will be explain dumbasses like me how to make a AudioLayer Salamander for dummies 🙈

• @espiegel123 said:

@Audiojunkie said:
    To use:

Very cool. Tx. I am curious to try it. Did the tool come up with good settings for the hammer noise and harmonics? (I won't get to try these out today, probably).

I haven’t tested them at all. I converted them and uploaded them. 🙂 I figured you guys would test them and give me the feedback. I’m getting ready to convert the first full Salamander now (not Slender). 👍🏼

• @david_2017 said:
    I am intrigued. Hopefully some day will there be a sort of manual that will be explain dumbasses like me how to make a AudioLayer Salamander for dummies 🙈

There are some instructions about converting sfz format to exs format(which AudioLayer can import) here: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/32001/audiolayer

• @espiegel123 said:

@MrBlaschke : what hardware and is are you using? Did you power-cycle or soft reboot before importing?

Hi there. @espiegel123
    I am using an iPad Pro 12“ 2018. No Restarts just the status it sat there. I am no believer in „restart fixing“ - at least not when using windows :smile:

I had crashes when trying to import the EXS doing it local as „On my iPad“. Did not make any diff if iCloud storage option from AudioLayer was on or off - I tried both.
    I then had the idea (As i am preferring iCloud storage) to start the import from my iCloud AudioLayer folder.
    Every instance exported fine from there with the first try.
    Don’t know how to explain better.

Kind regards

• @MrBlaschke : some people have found that cloud storage imports work better for them. I don't use it as it isn't practical for me (particularly for large sample sets). Soft-reboots have often worked for me. Great that you found a solution for yourself.

• edited March 2019

I was able to load it without issue On My iPad. BUT, the AL file needs tweaking afterwards. It seems that sfz to EXS24 translation tools don’t know how to deal with a few of the layers which are supposed to be triggered by the note release and which should be at very low volume.

Also, they don’t map the velocity layers correctly.

To fix the hammer sound. Go to Layer 13 (called sfz group 13). Set the layer volume to something like -36db. And set it to be triggered by key release. Turn the volume up if you want more release noise. You can delete the layer if you don’t want hammer noise.

The full salamander seems to map the velocity layers correctly. I’ll try to have something to share soon.

EDIT (added after original post): I just took a look at the full Salamander and Slender Salamander sfz files. Slender Salamander defines its velocity layers in a different way than the full Salamander and this seems to confuse the translator programs. I'll play around with getting it right.

• @espiegel123 said:

@david_2017 said:
    I am intrigued. Hopefully some day will there be a sort of manual that will be explain dumbasses like me how to make a AudioLayer Salamander for dummies 🙈

There are some instructions about converting sfz format to exs format(which AudioLayer can import) here: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/32001/audiolayer

Thanksfor your pointer and help mate, and i actually got it to work in AudioLayer but somehow it’s not chromatic. I have on B and and C the note C and some of the sharps don’t get to play. But this piano sounds good. Hopefully this will work.

• Added this topic to my favorites to not miss anything :) :) :)

• @david_2017 said:

@espiegel123 said:

@david_2017 said:

Thanksfor your pointer and help mate, and i actually got it to work in AudioLayer but somehow it’s not chromatic. I have on B and and C the note C and some of the sharps don’t get to play. But this piano sounds good. Hopefully this will work.

That's surprising about the pitches being wrong. Did you make any changes ? I will try to get Audio Zlsyrt versions of both slender and full Salamander up soon.

• I loaded the Slender EXS version and the pitches don't vary across the configured ranges.
    I thought that was a "One Shot" setting so I tried changing to "Forward" but the pitches don't get shifting to the proper note being struck. I imported the EXS and samples into Mainstage's EXS and couldn't get it to play the notes there. Not sure how to fix it to make a useful piano instrument. I did figure out how to make the pedal and release noises work on "key release" for those layers so I did pick up one new skill in the effort. I could also learn to control the volume of these noisy hardware sounds. But mapping pitch across the keys is job #1.

• I have a version that works. Will share tomorrow.

In the version that sudiojunkid shared. Find the layer that is madd up of samples whose names start with 'rel' . Set the the layer's volume to the minimum (40db) and set the layer to be triggered in release and see if that fixes most of your problems.

• edited April 2019

After you have installed Slender Salamander per @Audiojunkie’s instructions. Drop these into the Audio Layer folder (zipped as they are) and click on them in Files. That should make two instruments (using your already installed samples) available. Slender Salamander - e and Slender Salamander e - dark

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3llbeikbi7woqnj/SlenderSalamander-e.instrument.zip?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o09o9vx4t33fyfm/SlenderSalamander-e-dark.instrument.zip?dl=0

These could probably use some additional adjustment of the harmonics layers, but I thought no they are a good starting place. I will try to have a reasonable full salamander versions n soon.

PLEASE UPLOAD THE VERSIONS FOUND DOWN-THREAD I have posted improved versions of the files below. Please grab them.

• @espiegel123 thanks for all your effort and work you invested. I am a whole lot further now. I even identified the layer 12 is the pedal noise layer and muted it. But somehow I still don’t get every key. Some sharps are not playable ... strange. I will try it again a fresh on the iPad this evening. Thanks 🙏🏼 anyways!!!

• @david_2017 said:
    @espiegel123 thanks for all your effort and work you invested. I am a whole lot further now. I even identified the layer 12 is the pedal noise layer and muted it. But somehow I still don’t get every key. Some sharps are not playable ... strange. I will try it again a fresh on the iPad this evening. Thanks 🙏🏼 anyways!!!

Have you tried the versions I posted a little while ago?

• Here are improved AudioLayer instruments to go with the Slender Salamander sample set. See the instructions up thread for information about getting the Slender Salamander Sample Set and the EXS instrument needed to get them imported into AudioLayer.

Once you have successfully installed SlenderSalamander. Download these zip files. Put them in your AudioLayer folder as-is: DO NOT UNZIP THEM.

In the Files app, navigate to the AudioLayer folder and tap on the zip file for the instrument that you want to load. AudioLayer will unzip the file itself and add the instrument to the list of available instruments. **You must have already installed the samples and EXS file for this to work. **

These are slightly improved versions of the files that I uploaded earlier. (I adjusted the harmonics layers a bit and turned off pitch-tracking for the hammer noise layer)

If you don't like the hammer noise, you can delete the layer. It is turned down as far as AL currently allows.