Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

What about Impc pro 2 keeps it from being a real contender?

Comments

• edited December 2019

@gregsmith said:
    How do people feel about this app now? The bit I don’t understand is the fact that there’s a separate much cheaper iPhone app. What’s the iPad app got that the iPhone app doesn’t?

They’re both on crazy sale atm.

Same here...I know from other posts that iPhone version runs OK on iPad too, only a smaller UI but pretty usable.
    I was wondering if is it worth buying (ATM only € 3.49) or it would be only money thrown away...

Maybe on iPhone only could be useful? Any suggestion, thanks!

• @Sinthemau said:

@gregsmith said:
    How do people feel about this app now? The bit I don’t understand is the fact that there’s a separate much cheaper iPhone app. What’s the iPad app got that the iPhone app doesn’t?

They’re both on crazy sale atm.

Same here...I know from other posts that iPhone version runs OK on iPad too, only a smaller UI but pretty usable.
    I was wondering if is it worth buying (ATM only € 3.49) or it would be only money thrown away...

Maybe on iPhone only could be useful? Any suggestion, thanks!

I also wonder if there’s anything that it can do that I can’t already do with eg pulse

• edited December 2019

I still want file system that really supports Apple files.
    Because of lacking normal audio output from iPhone small version is useless.
    It has the most useful sampler options, but other thing keeps me using Beatmaker 3, to sample, chop, make layers and other stuff.
    We also have old iMaschine which could be the beast, but No.
    That’s sad.

• @eve_ripper said:

Sorry what do you mean with this?
    I was thinking to use like a sort of BM3 sampler on an iPhone...is it not possible?
    Thanks

• Also does it have a good timestretch, pitch algorithm? Would be worth £2.99 for that and the sample from Spotify alone

• I’m tempted to cop the iPad version whilst it’s on sale, can it load AU effects ?

• @CRAKROX said:
    I’m tempted to cop the iPad version whilst it’s on sale, can it load AU effects ?

No, only au instruments, no effects

• edited December 2019

I find the UI of IMPC and Beatmaker 3 to be uninspiring. Flat designs, monochrome and or dark designs are logical but the longer one has to look at them... it's like modern architecture to me, boring and inhumane. I like Cubasis and Gadget for the contrast of colour and curved surfaces, NS2 is flat looking but it's got the colour, Gadget even more so for the unapologetically bold skeuomorphism.

Also if one has GR-16 there's no real need to look elsewhere for a pad based synth/sampler. Akai should hire @jimpavloff

• @Sinthemau said:

@eve_ripper said:

I was thinking to use like a sort of BM3 sampler on an iPhone...is it not possible?
    Thanks

yes what do you mean with that?

• Well I ended up getting the iPhone version. I actually love the interface design, and the sample from Spotify thing is brilliant. Just need to figure out how to export sounds and timestretch (it you even can) but at this price it’s pretty much already paid for itself.

I would love to know what’s different about the iPad version.

• @gregsmith said:
    Well I ended up getting the iPhone version. I actually love the interface design, and the sample from Spotify thing is brilliant. Just need to figure out how to export sounds and timestretch (it you even can) but at this price it’s pretty much already paid for itself.

I would love to know what’s different about the iPad version.

Hi, me the same: I bought the iPhone version and just tested a very little; it seems OK, no problems in main functions.
    UI is not bad and at this price could be a useful add to my Apps collection

• Maybe it’s because developers are aiming at universal (iPhone)designs we see so much of this kind of thing. Not my cup of tea but to each their own.

• For me, it’s that the iMPC apps have no way to loop samples. But then, not everybody needs that feature...

• @Sinthemau said:

@eve_ripper said:

Thanks

I mean that iPhone nowadays do not have 3,5 output which helps in many situations. Yes, I can export, import and other things.

• After a quick flick through the documentation, the only thing I can see that’s unique to the iPad is the 3D Perform mode which I’m not interested in.

• @eve_ripper said:

@Sinthemau said:

@eve_ripper said:

Thanks

I mean that iPhone nowadays do not have 3,5 output which helps in many situations. Yes, I can export, import and other things.

Ok thanks, I got it now...with luck I'm using an iPhone SE that has the 3.5mm jack ;-)

• @Sinthemau said:

@eve_ripper said:

@Sinthemau said:

@eve_ripper said:

Thanks

Ok thanks, I got it now...with luck I'm using an iPhone SE that has the 3.5mm jack ;-)

Neither my iPad or iPhone has a 3.5mm jack but never mind! 😆

• @gregsmith said:

@Sinthemau said:

@eve_ripper said:

@Sinthemau said:

@eve_ripper said:

Thanks

Neither my iPad or iPhone has a 3.5mm jack but never mind! 😆

I still appreciate much the 3.5mm jack, would like it remains forever :-)

• @Retronyms

So I’ve found my first showstopper:

1. Imported a sample using audiocopy. All good
    2. I then sliced to pads, all good.
    3. I then went in to tweak the start and end points. First and second pad changed perfectly, third pad doesn’t save changes. Doesn’t matter how many times I press ‘edit sound’, tweak the end points, then click ‘ok’, my changes don’t stick 🤷‍♂️
  • I once asked their support about importing Midi clips and they asked me what kind of wav file these Midi clips were. That‘s what keeps them from being a real contender... ymmv

• I like the UI and find it very playable. I went through the excellent tutorial course when v2 came out and made a couple tracks.

Ultimately I was disappointed by the new song mode support. It seemed like an add-on. The reliance on Audio Copy was also annoying.

Has MIDI import been added yet?

• @mojozart said:
    I like the UI and find it very playable. I went through the excellent tutorial course when v2 came out and made a couple tracks.

Ultimately I was disappointed by the new song mode support. It seemed like an add-on. The reliance on Audio Copy was also annoying.

Has MIDI import been added yet?

Any idea how its time-stretching compares to BeatMaker?

Can it export loops that GarageBand recognizes for use as Apple Loops?

• How is iMPC Pro 2 after all the updates?

Akai make their Fire hardware controller for Fruity Loops Studio. Plus the original Push controller for Ableton Live.

Imagine if they made a hardware controller for iMPC Pro 2, though I bet it would cut into MPC hardware sales.

If the MPC Studio Black controller was updated to work with the app, plus added an audio interface, that would be killer.

• @Sequencer1 said:
    How is iMPC Pro 2 after all the updates?

Akai make their Fire hardware controller for Fruity Loops Studio. Plus the original Push controller for Ableton Live.

Imagine if they made a hardware controller for iMPC Pro 2, though I bet it would cut into MPC hardware sales.

If the MPC Studio Black controller was updated to work with the app, plus added an audio interface, that would be killer.

Impcpro2 will not be cutting into anything hardware MPC anytime soon....not even the same thing at all
    I own the Akai force and the akai mpclive and I erased impcpro2
    It’s just not where it should be in relation with the hardware.
    I guess we will have to see what impcpro3 can do one day? I wouldn’t hold my breath that it would be good.

My advice to retronyms would be figure out how to port MPC software from the computer over to iOS.
    With the same expansions
    Same engine
    Same plug ins

Don’t waste time re-inventing the wheel...then you will have a winner

• edited April 2020

Well I’m I am one of the few on this forum that enjoys iMPC pro2 but I am not a advanced user .

I think it sounds great has good quality samples available from AudioCopy It’s not that bad at all it’s the lack of their ability to make it what People expect from a MPC I guess or from my experience only on IOS just make it bad ass like you know you could ;we know you should but they don’t it must be on purpose ??? And it crashes like it’s been pretty stable or me but now it won’t open right now . I still like the app for me as a dabbler but I can see the frustration from the more experienced users who need things to work in an optimized fashion... oh yeah audio copy sucks a lot 👍🏼 But the paste sounds feature from iMPC pro packs is nice

• @Shabudua said:
    For me, it’s that the iMPC apps have no way to loop samples. But then, not everybody needs that feature...

@Sequencer1 said:

@Sequencer1 said:

The MPC Element works great with iMPC Pro 2.

• edited April 2020

@Sequencer1 said:

Akai did make a dedicated iPad hardware controller. The mpc fly.

• edited April 2020

@BiancaNeve said:

@Sequencer1 said:

Akai did make a dedicated iPad hardware controller. The mpc fly.

Yeah, shame they only sold it in a garish red, would have bought one immediately if it had been black. Don’t forget MPC ELEMENTS is iMPC compatible too.

• A smart solution would switch the screen design if the pad controller is detected, freeing the huge pad space for something more useful ;)

• edited April 2020

MPC Fly and Element are pretty basic? Not enough buttons, Q-Links, etc.
    MPC Studio Black with an audio interface would be perfect with the iPad, if the MPC software (PC/Mac) were available for the iPad.
    But that would be like begging for Live or Logic on the iPad.
    Anyway, just thinking aloud.