Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Abandoning your DAW of choice for NS2?

Comments

• @brattcave : NO SUSTAIN PEDAL SUPPORT? Can that be for real??

• edited December 2018

@Telstar5 said:
    @brattcave : NO SUSTAIN PEDAL SUPPORT? Can that be for real??

It is until someone can plug one in and tell me they have got it working. You're pretty much the first person that's reacted like I have! Assumed it was user error and still hoping it is. Someone else replicated the issue using Korg Nanostudio. I've tried a range of Roland (FA-08, FP-7) and Novation / Akai controllers with no luck... There's a thread over on NS2 on it. Most people don't seem that bothered. Perhaps not many of us use larger keyboards with iOS rigs???

• edited December 2018

@brattcave said:

@Telstar5 said:
    @brattcave : NO SUSTAIN PEDAL SUPPORT? Can that be for real??

It is until someone can plug one in and tell me they have got it working. You're pretty much the first person that's reacted like I have! Assumed it was user error and still hoping it is. Someone else replicated the issue using Korg Nanostudio. I've tried a range of Roland (FA-08, FP-7) and Novation / Akai controllers with no luck... There's a thread over on NS2 on it. Most people don't seem that bothered. Perhaps not many of us use larger keyboards with iOS rigs???

Whats a sustain pedal? 100% not joking.

• edited December 2018

Sustain pedal support was a request I put in from the NS1 days. Added my 2 cents to the post in the NS forums to get that fixed. With all the Auv3 support, it really seems a lot more necessary now.

And speaking of which, not being able to access the mod wheel in Auv3 instruments also seems like a pretty major oversight. I'm planning on using a ton of Synthmaster One in NS2, and it feels fairly hobbled right now with being able to use the mod wheel. Hopefully that's also an easy fix.

• edited December 2018

@brattcave said:
    Ah... this is frustrating. For me there still isn't one DAW without a major flaw for the way I work.
    I currently flit around from Beatmaker 3 for sampling, Xequence for midi, cubasis for general starting things off.

For me the (current) NS2 issues that stop me fully embracing it are:

1. Sustain Pedal support - I'm pretty staggered there's no support for this - most of my tracks feature some type of keys playing. ALL the other major DAWs allow this (Stagelight, Cubasis, BM3, AP). As silly as this seems, this is THE big one for me - the rest I can live with. Each to their own :)

Yea, that sounds like a 'game over' omission (that's thankfully probably not too difficult to fix). The sustain pedal is as important a part of a keyboard instrument as the keys itself (possibly more! I actually perform a lot of keys parts using a pad controller and sustain pedal).

It seems like a fundamental feature for any keyboard based app to listen to CC64 for sustain on that instrument's channel? I've been very happy with how sustain pedals work in BM3 -- for example I have a single sustain pedal that sends CC64 on channel 1, then I'll have a variety of pads (lets say 2-4, 15 & 16) that listen for their pad channel for MIDI notes while all listening to the same CC1 pedal for performance in addition to CC64 on their own channels, if that is set on their sequencer's control data tracks. Allows a lot of flexibility in performance and sequencing, and I would be forced to drop BM3 instantaniously if that functionality was not present.

@peanut_gallery said:
    Sustain pedal support was a request I put in from the NS1 days. Added my 2 cents to the post in the NS forums to get that fixed. With all the Auv3 support, it really seems a lot more necessary now.

And speaking of which, not being able to access the mod wheel in Auv3 instruments also seems like a pretty major oversight. I'm planning on using a ton of Synthmaster One in NS2, and it feels fairly hobbled right now with being able to use the mod wheel. Hopefully that's also an easy fix.

Yea, wouldn't a missing modwheel totally destroy a lot of AU synths? I can't imagine using Model D without it? I don't know the specifics of this as I'm not an NS2 user. I'm kind of assuming though that when the AU is just listening for CC1 on it's channel, that operating from a controller will work fine?

Anyway I don't really know anything in reality as I haven't used NS2.

• yeah, absolutely +1
    Sustain Pedal support is essential! For me its part of DAW-Basics.
    Modwheel also!
    Must have before buy!

• @Fruitbat1919 : I am still learning the ins and outs of Cubasis and Auria Pro. Can you say a little about why you prefer Cubasis to Auria Pro for the tasks you mentioned up-thread?

• @OscarSouth said:
    Yea, that sounds like a 'game over' omission (that's thankfully probably not too difficult to fix). The sustain pedal is as important a part of a keyboard instrument as the keys itself (possibly more! I actually perform a lot of keys parts using a pad controller and sustain pedal).

Was starting to think I was going mad... THANK YOU!

@peanut_gallery
    Yeah... also noticed this Mod wheel omission but I'm already coming across as the 'crazed sustain guy' - :| glad someone else pointed this out. Surely these are absolutely fundamental features?! It's actually got me thinking that I must be an alien on this platform... the beta testers cannot have missed these things - they must just have thought it wasn't important.

To the theme of Braveheart:
    They may take our home button.
    They may take our head headphone jack.
    But they will never take... oh, they have. They've taken our sustain pedals and mod wheels as well. B)

• @espiegel123 said:
    @Fruitbat1919 : I am still learning the ins and outs of Cubasis and Auria Pro. Can you say a little about why you prefer Cubasis to Auria Pro for the tasks you mentioned up-thread?

Fair question. The reasons I’m keeping Cubasis are for:

1. Audio track pre mixing in Auria
    2. For adding high resource AU apps to the mix and freeze them. Trying to do this in NS2, I would kill any processor room in no time. Apps like Model D, Zeeon and Syntronik (which I use for these for my main Analog sounds) eat up any processor head room in no time at all.
    3. Using Roli Noise. I like odd little whishing and wooshing sounds made in Noise.
    4. Adding any tracks that require IAA apps, as Cubasis is the most stable app using these imo - not that I use many these days.
    5. Cubasis, like NS2 is quite good for getting material into it and out of it.
    6. Cubasis adds little in complexity into the whole process.
    7. Cubasis lets me record AU midi apps
    8. Like NS2, Cubasis is pretty stable.

Why I keep Cubasis for jobs when I have Auria Pro:
    1. I find Cubasis easier to do basic jobs than Auria
    2. Cubasis freeze makes an audio track that can still be edited.
    3. Cubasis has baked in keyboard and drum pads specific to the Roli Noise app.
    4. IAA use in Cubasis is imo more simple to use than Auria
    5. Auria does a lot, but has a higher level of complexity to it than Cubasis imo.
    6. The AU midi setup is a pain to use in Auria.

Why I keep Auria Pro:
    1. The shop of plugins like Fabfilters is just outstanding.
    2. Mixing in Auria is far nicer from the mixer itself, to the use of the Fabfilters, to Auria being used in portrait orientation with long throw faders, to its sub groups and busses.

• Just for @AudioGus... A pic and a vid link below, even though I know he's 'tooling'. ;)

@AudioGus said:

But to really understand sustain... you have to listen B)
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=lL4kJL_NDR0

• 100% not tooling. I honestly thought it was maybe a guitar fx pedal thing. I am totally not a real musician. I know what sustain is as a sound phenomena just didn't know it was next to the clutch.

@brattcave said:
    Just for @AudioGus... A pic and a vid link below, even though I know he's 'tooling'. ;)

@AudioGus said:

But to really understand sustain... you have to listen B)

• I haven't read the whole thread, but can't you just map CC 64 to Release?

• Lol it was a 50/50 thing if you were or not. If you're not a musician there's a chance you haven't seen 'Spinal Tap' then. After seeing that you count as a proper muso :)

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:

@Approach said:

@Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:
    Ive had a bit of a play with NS2 now and I’m really impressed.

One of the biggest disappointments for me is there there are no ‘scale lock’ options in the piano roll. That’s a shame, but hopefully that might be coming. Anyway, guess you can’t have everything (on release).

Yes definitely need scale lock on the piano roll. I’m a terrible musician so I need all the help I can get to make the noise I’m compelled to produce. Wish I could Frankenstein BM3, SL and NS2 together.

The automation is a thing of beauty. In that it actually, you know, works. In so many apps, including in some ways Gadget, it isn’t implemented very well. It’s very imprecise and/or it’s a pain to edit. Whereas in NS2 I can immediately tell an awful lot of thought and user testing has gone into it. You can quantise, duplicate, move whole chunks up, down or left/right. You can even compress or expand your automation curves. It’s great.

And remember you can do this to 10 AU instrument parameters, which you can also of course record live automation from via the macro knobs. Very nice.

I miss:

• better scale lock / keyboard options
    • freezing of AU tracks
    • automation of AU FX
    • a mod wheel (maybe able to be applied to the y axis of the keyboard?)
    • Midi AU recording
    • Audio tracks (a bit)
    • And of course an iPhone version

• oh and MPE support would be the icing on the cake in the future

Glad you posted that re: Automation of AU FX. It was driving me bonkers trying to figure out how to get that to work. I'm so used to automating FX in everything else I use, I guess I just expected it to be there.
    I would abandon every other iOS daw if it gets full automation of everything and track freezing...everything else I can take or leave.

Such a wonderful start though, I'll still be getting a lot of use out of it. It's like a master class on interface design, something I hope other devs learn from.

• @brattcave said:
    Lol it was a 50/50 thing if you were or not. If you're not a musician there's a chance you haven't seen 'Spinal Tap' then. After seeing that you count as a proper muso :)

Oh, I am on a level of music snobbery that sits high above such lowly common mass-media entertainment. I do hide it well in public however.

• @brattcave said:
    Lol it was a 50/50 thing if you were or not. If you're not a musician there's a chance you haven't seen 'Spinal Tap' then. After seeing that you count as a proper muso :)

Whoot, oh yah I have seen it!

• @SevenSystems said:
    I haven't read the whole thread, but can't you just map CC 64 to Release?

Yep, that's what I've suggested over on the NS2 forum. Not elegant but it works. However, you can't seem to access this on the AUs yet though and that's arguably where you might need it the most.

• Am I missing something? How can NS2 replace any DAW when it doesn’t record any audio tracks that I can see ? It does sound amazing from what I’ve heard demoed , and I own every DAW practically on IOS? Why ? Because 20-50 bucks ain’t shit .. I can buy 10 DAWs and still spend less than one good one costs on a desktop . Those people that argue a desktop DAW is better, is kind of like saying , I’d rather just have huge RV and then park it where I can never move it than have an RV and a commuter car. Both serve different needs. However , I’ve actually found that while I can do more and faster on a desktop , there are just too many cool touch based instruments on an iPad and touch based innovations period , and the portability factor has me making music on the crapper , at the DMV, the doctors office , my moms house, in a traffic jam, at stoplights and in bed. So bottom line ... I record and finish more music . Now there is one pet peeve . Developers need to give us the option to lock certain areas of the screen to prevent accidental deletions or moving things we didn’t intend on moving , and event specific history undo if you can’t do the lock thing . Nothing worse that realizing two hours later that half of your intro tracks got deleted or shifted around and now to undo the damage , using undo , would make you forfeit all the work ... or have to manually reconstruct the mess.

• @bedheadproducer said:
    Am I missing something? How can NS2 replace any DAW when it doesn’t record any audio tracks that I can see ?

Beats me. The app description avoids the word DAW... so I dunno... people eh?

It does sound amazing from what I’ve heard demoed , and I own every DAW practically on IOS? Why ? Because 20-50 bucks ain’t shit .. I can buy 10 DAWs and still spend less than one good one costs on a desktop . Those people that argue a desktop DAW is better, is kind of like saying , I’d rather just have huge RV and then park it where I can never move it than have an RV and a commuter car. Both serve different needs. However , I’ve actually found that while I can do more and faster on a desktop , there are just too many cool touch based instruments on an iPad and touch based innovations period , and the portability factor has me making music on the crapper , at the DMV, the doctors office , my moms house, in a traffic jam, at stoplights and in bed.

I am just exporting my first batch of couch composed stems (holy slow export though, how the heck is BM3 so much faster than NS2 and Cubasis at this??) and will be exporting the midi as well to desktop to see just how well that workflow goes. The first sketch was bloody fast and I think Obsidian holds up not bad next to the bigger guns... but yah... I think this has amazing productive waiting room/crapper potential.

• edited December 2018

@bedheadproducer I think there is a bit of a workaround if you import or record the audio file onto a pad in 'Slate'. Apparently it can handle audio of up to 2 hours worth. I feel you though...

• edited December 2018

@bedheadproducer said:
    Am I missing something? How can NS2 replace any DAW when it doesn’t record any audio tracks that I can see ? It does sound amazing from what I’ve heard demoed , and I own every DAW practically on IOS? Why ? Because 20-50 bucks ain’t shit .. I can buy 10 DAWs and still spend less than one good one costs on a desktop . Those people that argue a desktop DAW is better, is kind of like saying , I’d rather just have huge RV and then park it where I can never move it than have an RV and a commuter car. Both serve different needs. However , I’ve actually found that while I can do more and faster on a desktop , there are just too many cool touch based instruments on an iPad and touch based innovations period , and the portability factor has me making music on the crapper , at the DMV, the doctors office , my moms house, in a traffic jam, at stoplights and in bed. So bottom line ... I record and finish more music . Now there is one pet peeve . Developers need to give us the option to lock certain areas of the screen to prevent accidental deletions or moving things we didn’t intend on moving , and event specific history undo if you can’t do the lock thing . Nothing worse that realizing two hours later that half of your intro tracks got deleted or shifted around and now to undo the damage , using undo , would make you forfeit all the work ... or have to manually reconstruct the mess.

One of the best and most logical descriptions of why iOS music that I've read.

Only thing I'll throw in is this:
    On desktop (Windows, Mac, Linux) you can often pick up Harrison Mixbus -- the greatest DAW for MIXING that (at least) I've ever used -- for $20-50. I got it for $20 myself which is unbelievable. It smokes any iOS based solution (but doesn't replace, for reasons given by @bedheadproducer ) for an iOS price point. It's the perfect destination for mixing/mastering projects that start their life on iOS. I actually run my iOS channels through the mixbus channels/busses in realtime using an iCA4+, so that I can make my mix tweaks in advance and print to the timeline before final export.

I didn't just mention this to rant and rave but to show that there are equally priced options on all platforms that operate at the highest possible levels of functionality.

• Does anyone know if 'Slate' allows routing of velocity to 'sample start/offset'. Couldn't find any mention of it in the manual...

• OT
    @OscarSouth I’m curious if you tried Reaper plus built in plugins before Mixbus on the desktop? It seems like they are both capable of pro mixing/mastering at low cost.

• I won’t be abandoning Cubasis for NS2. That wouldn’t make any sense. But I’ll keep an eye on NS2 development and check it out another time.

• @brattcave said:
    @bedheadproducer I think there is a bit of a workaround if you import or record the audio file onto a pad in 'Slate'. Apparently it can handle audio of up to 2 hours worth. I feel you though...

Slate feels very very clunky to me for this. Particularly because it demands that you crop the audio and also when I select a pad with an hour long audio file to edit it the samples plays... and plays... and plays... and I have no idea how to stop it, lol. So I cannot edit long sound files as I don't want to wait an hour for the sample to stop playng before I edit it. Could be I missed something... ummm, pretty sure I must have missed something.

• @gusgranite said:
    OT
    @OscarSouth I’m curious if you tried Reaper plus built in plugins before Mixbus on the desktop? It seems like they are both capable of pro mixing/mastering at low cost.

I tracked a few projects using the trial of Reaper a few years ago but never did any mixing. Too in love with mixbus's propriety DSP for mixing these days.

• @brattcave said:
    For me the (current) NS2 issues that stop me fully embracing it are:

1. Sustain Pedal support - I'm pretty staggered there's no support for this - most of my tracks feature some type of keys playing. ALL the other major DAWs allow this (Stagelight, Cubasis, BM3, AP). As silly as this seems, this is THE big one for me - the rest I can live with. Each to their own :)
    2. Audio files - okay - these are coming...
    3. AU integration with a decent size window
    4. Limited/No Audiobus (Or AUM?) compatibility (Hey this is the AB forum!)
    5. Apparent limited CC automation for AUs. (So far).
    6. IAAs are a bit of a rats nest granted but without support I've lost access to some useful tools...until they get ported to AUs. (Maybe)

Did you write those points on the NS2 forum?
    If not, please do so.
    Matt is very open to feature requests as soon as he understands that many people want something.

So, do i just wait, post there!

• @OscarSouth said:

@MonzoPro said:

@wim said:

@MonzoPro said:
    It’s a funny old place this forum - I haven’t been following the NS2 stuff, but had a read through this one. And instead of tempting me to buy that, it inspired me to revisit Auria - based on the positive comments about it.

I used to use Auria a lot, until AUM turned my head. But had a play with Auria earlier and was reminded how flipping good it is.

I’ll still be using AUM, and now ApeMatrix, but for doing more DAW type stuff on the iPad, Auria’s back in the game.

I used to gravitate toward Auria Pro just because Everything I needed to finis, I mean really finish, tracks, was there in one place. I learned to get along with the clunkiness of some of it because I could streamline things.

Unfortunately, AU midi has become important to me, and it’s just too broken in Auria Pro.

So, I’m still casting about for a the ultimate workflow. I have some favorites, but no clear favorite.

Yeah I think that’s why AUM turned my head. What I’ve been doing is creating live jams in that, recording them live and exporting to desktop.

Nice and spontaneous though that is, I think I need to get back to a bit more structured iPad stuff. So I’ll still use AUM for the MIDI stuff and just record this in as audio in Auria. But with less going on so I can build up songs gradually, rather than jamming it all live.

As Richard said there’s no one thing that does it all, so it’s a case of connecting the boxes that do the job you’re after.

From reading your writing about your workflow with Rozeta and how you like to compose, I kind of feel that AUM+Modstep (optional AB for ease of use) is going to deliver exactly what you want. It's a combo that I keep coming back to again and again -- maybe the most flexible workflow on the platform!

I’ve never really clicked with Modstep...I’ll give it another go though :)

• @MonzoPro said:

@OscarSouth said:

@MonzoPro said:

@wim said:

@MonzoPro said:
    It’s a funny old place this forum - I haven’t been following the NS2 stuff, but had a read through this one. And instead of tempting me to buy that, it inspired me to revisit Auria - based on the positive comments about it.

I used to use Auria a lot, until AUM turned my head. But had a play with Auria earlier and was reminded how flipping good it is.

I’ll still be using AUM, and now ApeMatrix, but for doing more DAW type stuff on the iPad, Auria’s back in the game.

I used to gravitate toward Auria Pro just because Everything I needed to finis, I mean really finish, tracks, was there in one place. I learned to get along with the clunkiness of some of it because I could streamline things.

Unfortunately, AU midi has become important to me, and it’s just too broken in Auria Pro.

So, I’m still casting about for a the ultimate workflow. I have some favorites, but no clear favorite.

Yeah I think that’s why AUM turned my head. What I’ve been doing is creating live jams in that, recording them live and exporting to desktop.

Nice and spontaneous though that is, I think I need to get back to a bit more structured iPad stuff. So I’ll still use AUM for the MIDI stuff and just record this in as audio in Auria. But with less going on so I can build up songs gradually, rather than jamming it all live.

As Richard said there’s no one thing that does it all, so it’s a case of connecting the boxes that do the job you’re after.

From reading your writing about your workflow with Rozeta and how you like to compose, I kind of feel that AUM+Modstep (optional AB for ease of use) is going to deliver exactly what you want. It's a combo that I keep coming back to again and again -- maybe the most flexible workflow on the platform!

I’ve never really clicked with Modstep...I’ll give it another go though :)

If you use it as MIDI only, it's basically a highly flexible timeline/non-linear clip launcher for AUM with a few extra bells and whistles (including tempo/time sig changes + polyrhythms) tacked on.

• I’m sticking with GarageBand for now. I know it so well that I don’t really have to think when I’m using it. I can concentrate on making music instead.

NS2 looks neat, but until it’s finished (audio recording) then it’s no good to me anyway. Actually, it looks beautiful. I would love to stare at this instead of GB, which is looking pretty dated these days.

I’m following it with interest, but changing DAW is a huge deal in terms of the amount of time required to learn it. Add in all the workarounds I’d need to do just to arrive where I am with GB already (no Audiobus or IAA!?).

GarageBand certainly has its own list of missing features and oddities, but I’ve already come to terms with those.