Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Abandoning your DAW of choice for NS2?

Ok, I know it’s early . Not even one day yet .. But c’mon , you know you downloaded it .. You’ve played with it..

1- Anyone abandoning a main workhorse for this (Garageband, Cubasis, Stagelight) for this puppy? I’m still learning g Stagelight and like what I seenin NS2 but still not tempted to jump ship .

2-..or have you opted to incorporate it into your workflow, sticking with your old favorites also as opposed to abandoning them?

Comments

• Why abandon anything? I'm a dedicated NS1 user for 8 years, but I still use bits and pieces from other DAW and synth apps, and still use IAA/AB apps in a separate workflow that I use to add audio clips into my NS2 workflow. If a person is entrenched in other apps, that's fine. Try NS2 for a while and see if you can find a place for it in your creative process. I'm partial, so NS2 is the main part of my workflow. We are lucky to have a choice between such great apps for such a cheap price. Now, back in the 90's or early 00's and I was paying $350+ per DAW - yeah. Then I could only use one. Now...? Enjoy the availability. I think it will be great to see how people can come up with new ways to incorporate various apps into creative workflows.

• No way I'm abandoning Auria, I'm a guitar player first and foremost. But I love the idea of being limited to one drum machine with imported samples and one synth just to create some tracks.

• Honestly: The $30 cost of entry has me waiting to buy. But like most App purchases for me a Demo of decent Acoustic instruments gets me every time. It's a character flaw.

It feels like an "All-in-One" world with some openings for using AUv3's too. I have Gadget, KEW, BM3, SoundStage, Cubasis, Auria Pro, BeatMaker and AEMS already... so I'll wait for the sale to feel the urgency to own.

I waited on BM3 for what felt like forever but $1 IAP's on Black Friday did it. A Ludwig Drumset instrument to take it full-circle to my first personal instrument. For $1. The $25 for BM3 was just a detail. The additional Stand-Up Bass for my $1 was just extra joy. I grabbed the Acoustic Piano and have the complete Trio loaded. (I do prefer RC275 by the way).

• NS2 is nice but I’m really not seeing it as a DAW replacement.

• So far Im not at all interested. NS2 would have to be significantly better than other DAWs Ive already used for it to be worth my time learning another one at this point.

After a recent stint with BM3 (which I found fine) Im still happiest going back to AUM and then finishing on a desktop DAW. Theres no comparing any iPad DAW to the mighty Ableton Live and my iMac screen is literally ten times bigger than an iPad.

• I bought into NS2 today as a replacement for GarageBand. I’ve only sketched ideas out in GB and never really clicked with it. Spent today using NS2 and I’m in - there’s a lot to like plus it’s size compared to GB.

• NS2 fits in nicely with what I use already.

NS2 will be one of the apps I use to initially start a song off - an ideas pad if you like.

• No way is it a DAW replacement. I'll definitely write some tunes with it but the stems will go to Auria. I'm happy to use GarageBand, Gadget, Cubasis and BM3 to write tunes, but the only DAW I'll consider actually finishing stuff in is Auria, because it's still way ahead of the competition when it comes to finishing a mix.

Maybe once the FabFilters are all AUv3 that might change, and it's great to see that NS2 has got flexible routing, but it doesn't have Pro C, Pro R, or Pro L (yet).

• Honestly my DAW of choice isn’t on iOS. But a new app like NS2 often sends me back to other similar apps, to test my approach and compare the new to the others in my preferred set. The new NS2 sent me back to BM3, FLSM so far, to feel differences in features and feature sets - the ease of delivering my stuff, how the workflow affects my stuff etc etc

Sometimes I enthuse about a new one so much I’ll load 20gb of samples into it, delete all the other similar apps...but I’ve learned to chill and keep all my tools at the ready

• So, no way can I abandon my other DAWs, or any other apps for the sake of one superApp. One of my favorite luxuries of iOS music making is the affordability of lots of DAWs, Synths, Effects, etc. I can afford to get bored using one great daw and switch to another anytime. I basically make this decision every time I buy a new app.

• @oat_phipps and @richardyot . That’s precisely why I didn’t include Auria Pro in my header . Because w the Fab Filter plug ins it’s not even a fair comparison. A combination of say Stagelight, Sampletank a d Auria while not being equal to desktop yet , certainly gives me way more than enough tools to work with . And the gap is shrinking every day.
    @Slam_Cut : Because I’m a slow learner and it takes me longer to wrap my head around an app than most .

• It does seem like a great start. And I hope it will succeed, so this brand new framework can grow in the future. My personal preference is session/scene view when laying down ideas so on that front I'm leaning towards BM3, but latest development doesn't look like it's going to be my final destination. On the other hand polished workflow that supports creative juices seems like the biggest benefit of NS2 at least for me at its current form.
    So, I'm trying to learn from my experience with BM3 and instead of jumping in I'll wait and see. In the meantime AUM has everything I currently need and since its release been my go to anyway.

• edited December 2018

Nothing to abandon for me since NS2 might be the first DAW since iOS 11 i even want to use on iOS to make full tracks.

• @richardyot said:
    No way is it a DAW replacement. I'll definitely write some tunes with it but the stems will go to Auria. I'm happy to use GarageBand, Gadget, Cubasis and BM3 to write tunes, but the only DAW I'll consider actually finishing stuff in is Auria, because it's still way ahead of the competition when it comes to finishing a mix.

Maybe once the FabFilters are all AUv3 that might change, and it's great to see that NS2 has got flexible routing, but it doesn't have Pro C, Pro R, or Pro L (yet).

Damn. I wish I had valued your input before Black Friday. Maybe next year or the AUv3's will get released and I'll follow your lead for Pro quality mastering advice. Learning who to trust and why is a key to using this Forum well: trust comes from shared values. Slowly, I'm building profiles of members that give me added context for their reviews.

• Yeah, I bought all of the Fab filters on Black Friday lol

• I love ns2 and deff am going to build almost full tracks in it, and maybe some complete tracks...
    But I am one of the few that still uses a few synths very heavily that are not auv3 so I can't rely on it totally, plus I love AUM, Ab3, Modstep , krft and some other things that give a different work flow, I love all the options we have, but I can deff get down with ns2 for a lot of things

• @Telstar5 said:
    Yeah, I bought all of the Fab filters on Black Friday lol

Rub it in. I deserve it. It's the bad rap Auria gets around here when it's still the Mastering tool without peer. I get it. Pay for quality or ship substandard music products. This is not like the world of gear where you need to practice for 20 years to benefit from the top line gear. The top line gear makes the newbie's work sound better.

• Sticking with AUM on iOS and Ableton as the DAW.

• @Cib said:
    Nothing to abandon for me since NS2 might be the first DAW since iOS 11 i even want to use on iOS to make full tracks.

This.

I don’t have BM3, Cubasis, Auria or SL

NS2 is another story. Not a DAW, not a Workstation....On iPad, the typical approach is not valid. Rozetta and Bram Bos is the best example. Rozetta suite changes our perception about how works with this environment.

This is NS2

• @[Deleted User] said:
    Sticking with AUM on iOS and Ableton as the DAW.

Im afraid to even look into Ableton... addictive personality disorder. I hear rumors about the high of heroin and "Just say no." Just sayin'. I started listening to the Music Production Podcast and it's all Ableton (with the exception of the Matt Fecher interview which opened the door). Abelton is Opium. Of course, it could be pure Loopy Shit but why take the risk? (That's a cry for help).

• Too early to confirm but my feeling is that yes it might become my main DAW in iOS (working on Ableton in Mac).
    BM3 is the best sample tool but the workflow in arrangement mode is “missing” something, I can't work 100% on it.
    Cubasis is great but it seems to be one try to port the classic DAW concept to iOS which is not working 100% for me. The file management (no subdirectories) is a really stopper for me.
    Auria is great for mixing and mastering with all the available professional plugins but I prefer to work with only one tool...

So far NS2 looks at the best option for me: great file management as BM3, DAW type workflow like Cubasis but looks more “intuitive” to me, could bypass Auria with the Fabfilter plugins..
    But it is still too early, a lot of work to do, may be I find a workflow stopper (looking forward for audio tracks but I can do without them in the meantime).

• I’ll leave auria out of this because I don’t EVER make beats in it. It’s an audio powerhouse and that’s how I use it. Just like I don’t make beats in pro tools but would record/mix songs in it on desktop (logic/Maschine/Ableton/FL Studio is better for beatmaking/composing etc IMO) Honestly if NS2 had a ‘spinfx’ like cubasis, ‘note repeat’ while finger drumming and midi hardware control/assignability like BM3 id probably abandon those 2. It’s been stable with 0 crashes after hours of use and multiple sessions, even when AUv3 that usually give me trouble did crash inside of it (they always crashed any host I’ve used) and auto save works great. The mixer is gorgeous and just the interface inspires beatmaking for me. BM3 has almost to many menus for me a times to do anything and Cubasis annoys me with all the transport weirdness (metronome is always on or always off instead of just being on for recording only)

• Bought BM3 once. Hated it. Deleted.
    Bought Cubasis. Meh. Deleted.

When I'm feeling experimental = ApeMatrix.
    When I'm feeling clippy and external = ModStep.
    Everything else will be NS2 and that will be the lion's share. Happy days for us ios musicians.

• Don’t even want to look at the videos, don’t want any more synths or daw’s. just want to pick up cool fx here and there and use/enjoy what i have and have figured out.

• I will just keep on using FL Mobile, with the occasional SunVox session for when I truly hate myself.
    :p

• Never that, but Obsidian is a very good synth! Props where props are due!

I will definitely use NS2 in my workflow, but it’ll never ever ever beat my mpclive...!
    Or LPX or Reason 10 or Auria Pro

Instead it will take turns like everybody’s girl down the block

• The app that crashes the least is the one I’ll use the most. I’ll leave it at that.

• Abandoning NS1 for NS2. Have tried Cubasis, GB, Gadget and Auria (and a half-hearted attempt at BM2). Could never get into any of those. I'm too wed to the NS workflow.