Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

NanoStudio 2 official thread

Comments

• @Rodolfo said:

@AudioGus said:

@klownshed said:

@AudioGus said:

@klownshed said:

@AudioGus said:

Which iPad you using? I had problems saving projects on my 2017 base iPad running Aparillo but on the 10.5 Pro it is smooth sailing.

iPad Air 2.

Armchair diagnosis/hypothesis: maybe it is a 2gigs of ram issue.

Probably. But it’s quite inelegantly handled by Ns2. Perhaps you should get a warning that ram is running low when you try and load another plug in? It’s a very basic project, only a few tracks and one instance of Eos2 in an aux track.

Are there any hosts that do give memory warnings regarding AU usage?

Yes, Auria Pro.

Cool, I would be fine if hosts said ‘No Sir. Ain’t gonna load it.’ rather than load and crash which seems a bit harsh.

• The only issue I’ve ran into with NS2 is with iSymphonic and I believe it’s a memory issue when you try to load too many instances as an AU. The string libraries eat up a bunch of the 300meg limit you can have for all instances of the same plugin. I had the same issue in BM3.

I easily solved the problem by not using that plugin anymore.

Using Obsidian only now and it’s good enough. If I really want to put the effort into quality orchestral patches, I wouldn’t do it on iOS. I’ve considered dumping the midi to desktop and rendering out using the NI Symphonic libraries but that defeats why I use the iPad in the first place. Maybe I’ll do it as a science project but I don’t really care if the strings sound better on my desktop. I use the iPad for different reasons that are satisfying in their own right.

• In my particular case I bought NS2 after reading a lot of positive comments in this forum and other forums too. It’s really well designed and seems to be rock solid, but it turned to be a big dissapointment when I found I can’t use the sustain pedal for playing piano/keyboards. The app literally blocks the possibility to pass through CC64 to any AU plugin and there’s no possible workaround at current version. The guys at their forum were really nice and helpful, but insisted that I “need to understand that my needs are not the same as the ones from other users”. I’m still shocked to realize that there’s an app that is considered a DAW but you can’t use your sustain pedal to play piano as in any other DAW/sequencer out there since about 30 years ago.
    Hopefully they will solve the issue some day, I’d really love to use NS2, meanwhile I just deleted the app as it’s completely useless for me as it is.

• @AudioGus said:

@Rodolfo said:

@AudioGus said:

@klownshed said:

@AudioGus said:

@klownshed said:

@AudioGus said:

Which iPad you using? I had problems saving projects on my 2017 base iPad running Aparillo but on the 10.5 Pro it is smooth sailing.

iPad Air 2.

Probably. But it’s quite inelegantly handled by Ns2. Perhaps you should get a warning that ram is running low when you try and load another plug in? It’s a very basic project, only a few tracks and one instance of Eos2 in an aux track.

Yes, Auria Pro.

Cool, I would be fine if hosts said ‘No Sir. Ain’t gonna load it.’ rather than load and crash which seems a bit harsh.

Well, in the case of Auria Pro it’s just a warning message, if you continue to work it eventually crashes.

• edited March 2019

@Rodolfo Agree. That is one of the craziest omissions I’ve seen.

But you did the right thing and went to the forum and stated your case and I’m very confident it will show up in an update.

• @drez said:
    IMO, if you can’t be bothered to go to the official forum that the developer/beta testers hang at to try and get your problem solved, you’re either trolling and don’t actually use it (most likely) or you like to be right in your own mind to feel like you have some sort of justification for it. You surely can feel that way, but it’s just an opinion that isn’t really with merit. Due diligence is for the initiated.

It’s like having a hammer and holding it on the wrong end saying “this hammer sucks, it can’t pound nails” and some folks then point to a group of other people saying “the guy who made that specific hammer and those that tested it are standing right over there. Why don’t you just walk up and ask them how to make it work better” and the guy who just bought said hammer responding,... “nah, I’d rather just say this hammer sucks” :lol:

While I think reporting bugs is important, I can understand preferring not to use a public forum to do so. Hopefully, the dev has a support email or support form set up for reports. It is often the case in public forums that fans can be critical of bug reports and user critiques in a way that discourages valid bug reports and critiques.

• @Rodolfo said:

@AudioGus said:

@Rodolfo said:

@AudioGus said:

@klownshed said:

@AudioGus said:

@klownshed said:

@AudioGus said:

iPad Air 2.

Yes, Auria Pro.

Well, in the case of Auria Pro it’s just a warning message, if you continue to work it eventually crashes.

Even that is great then for sensing the danger zone. See this line... you cross this line... ...

• @drez said:

But you did the right thing and went to the forum and stated your case and I’m very confident it will show up in an update.

That’s correct, and I really hope they solve the issue. It’s a great app, but being a piano player it’s like trying to drive a car without pedals... 😄

• @Rodolfo said:

@drez said:

That’s correct, and I really hope they solve the issue. It’s a great app, but being a piano player it’s like trying to drive a car without pedals... 😄

On the bright side I did get to learn what a sustain pedal is.

• @espiegel123 said:

@drez said:
    IMO, if you can’t be bothered to go to the official forum that the developer/beta testers hang at to try and get your problem solved, you’re either trolling and don’t actually use it (most likely) or you like to be right in your own mind to feel like you have some sort of justification for it. You surely can feel that way, but it’s just an opinion that isn’t really with merit. Due diligence is for the initiated.

It’s like having a hammer and holding it on the wrong end saying “this hammer sucks, it can’t pound nails” and some folks then point to a group of other people saying “the guy who made that specific hammer and those that tested it are standing right over there. Why don’t you just walk up and ask them how to make it work better” and the guy who just bought said hammer responding,... “nah, I’d rather just say this hammer sucks” :lol:

While I think reporting bugs is important, I can understand preferring not to use a public forum to do so. Hopefully, the dev has a support email or support form set up for reports. It is often the case in public forums that fans can be critical of bug reports and user critiques in a way that discourages valid bug reports and critiques.

What’s wrong with criticism from others? That’s what’s going on right now in this thread. It’s the internet!

How are more eyes on a problem bad?

I choose to use all the resources at my disposal. If I get a good answer from anybody, it doesn’t matter who that anybody is.

The developer is most likely going to ask one of the testers to look at it anyway...and they are already on the forum, so just ask there ¯_(ツ)_/¯

• @AudioGus said:

@Rodolfo said:

@drez said:

😂😂😂

• edited March 2019

@Rodolfo said:

@AudioGus said:

@Rodolfo said:

@drez said:

😂😂😂

Yeah @AudioGus NS2 was hand crafted for you. WE DON’T NEED NO STINKING.... scrolls through forum ...SUSTAIN PEDALS!!!

:wink:

• @drez said:

@espiegel123 said:

@drez said:

What’s wrong with criticism from others? That’s what’s going on right now in this thread. It’s the internet!

I choose to use all the resources at my disposal. If I get a good answer from anybody, it doesn’t matter who that anybody is.

The developer is most likely going to ask one of the testers to look at it anyway...and they are already on the forum, so just ask there ¯_(ツ)_/¯

No one said more eyes are bad. But someone should be able to report a bug privately. You personally might not mind people commenting about what you write in public but lots of people (quite reasonably) have a preference not to have their words scrutinized by others not critically involved in a matter. I completely sympathize with preferring to be able to report a bug to a developer and having my interaction being solely between me and the developer/support team.

A considerable percentage of people prefer private communication.

• edited March 2019

@drez

IMO, if you can’t be bothered to go to the official forum that the developer/beta testers hang at to try and get your problem solved, you’re either trolling and don’t actually use it (most likely) or you like to be right in your own mind to feel like you have some sort of justification for it.

I’m glad you’ve decided the most likely reason is that I’m a troll that hasn’t even used the app.

That says way more about you than it does me.

And as if I needed any more confirmation that you can’t say anything negative about Ns2 no matter how justified without being insulted, here it is

• @klownshed said:

To be honest I probably would have posted something on the blip forum already if it wasn’t for the fact that they are so fiercely defensive of their baby and don’t like to hear anything other than sycophantic praise.

If the developers are listening to this thead I’m more than happy to help. Just don’t make me go through the guard dogs ;-)

I haven’t seen any ”fiercely protective” replies to your posts on the NS2 forum, could you point out some so we can address the issue? What I have seen is suggestions for workarounds where functionality doesn’t exist and good natured discussion. If there’s a problem, don’t you think it’s better we know about it?

• @espiegel123 said:

@drez said:

@espiegel123 said:

@drez said:

No one said more eyes are bad. But someone should be able to report a bug privately. You personally might not mind people commenting about what you write in public but lots of people (quite reasonably) have a preference not to have their words scrutinized by others not critically involved in a matter. I completely sympathize with preferring to be able to report a bug to a developer and having my interaction being solely between me and the developer/support team.

But what if you post an issue in one public forum (this forum...this thread) but then say I can’t do that same thing over there because...scrutiny. You face the same scrutiny anywhere. This is a public forum too.

And I don’t think anyone said you couldn’t send an email. But if you’re going to publicly gripe about it in one forum, you should be able to publicly go out and find some answers in the ideal place that will get you the answer you are looking for. You’ll face scrutiny in either place. IMO, people just want to gripe to gripe and put more effort into that then actually figuring out a solution or possible root cause which would help the developer and anyone that reads the thread.

• @drez said:

@espiegel123 said:

@drez said:

@espiegel123 said:

@drez said:

But what if you post an issue in one public forum (this forum...this thread) but then say I can’t do that same thing over there because...scrutiny. You face the same scrutiny anywhere. This is a public forum too.

And I don’t think anyone said you couldn’t send an email. But if you’re going to publicly gripe about it in one forum, you should be able to publicly go out and find some answers in the ideal place that will get you the answer you are looking for. You’ll face scrutiny in either place. IMO, people just want to gripe to gripe and put more effort into that then actually figuring out a solution or possible root cause which would help the developer and anyone that reads the thread.

Please re-read what I posted. I was advocating that people need to report bugs if they want them fixed and that NS2 is solid. And now you seem to be suggesting that I am griping or advocating griping without reporting.

I am merely pointing out that some people prefer to report bugs privately and that I assume one can report NS2 bugs privately..and you jumped all over that. Please step back.

• @Stiksi said:

@klownshed said:

To be honest I probably would have posted something on the blip forum already if it wasn’t for the fact that they are so fiercely defensive of their baby and don’t like to hear anything other than sycophantic praise.

If the developers are listening to this thead I’m more than happy to help. Just don’t make me go through the guard dogs ;-)

I haven’t seen any ”fiercely protective” replies to your posts on the NS2 forum, could you point out some so we can address the issue? What I have seen is suggestions for workarounds where functionality doesn’t exist and good natured discussion. If there’s a problem, don’t you think it’s better we know about it

My comment was suffixed by a ;-) and a bit tongue in cheek.

But look at the replies that precede yours. And compare the names of those that are trying to be insulting, bless them, with those on the ns2 forum. Do they match? So it’s a case of guilty by association in this case. I’ve not had any problems on that forum and I don’t want to start now.

The flak I’m already getting for saying here that I haven’t submitted a bug report yet as it’s quite a lot of work is quite enough thank you.

And no, I’m not going to another forum to tell them there’s a problem. That would go down swimmingly wouldn’t it?

You do get an awful lot of flak for saying anything negative about NS2 here. And as those being defensive are also ‘over there’ I’m not going to take flak on two forums at the same time.

• @espiegel123 said:

@drez said:

@espiegel123 said:

@drez said:

@espiegel123 said:

@drez said:

Please re-read what I posted. I was advocating that people need to report bugs if they want them fixed and that NS2 is solid. And now you seem to be suggesting that I am griping or advocating griping without reporting.

I am merely pointing out that some people prefer to report bugs privately and that I assume one can report NS2 bugs privately..and you jumped all over that. Please step back.

You are reading this as if you meant you specifically in my statement. I should have been more succinct in my pronouns. I was not meaning you the human. Replace that with someone or anyone.

• Oh and just to state the obvious this thread is titled “Nanostudio 2 official thread”. Is it not actually official?

You can’t trust anything online. :smiley:

• @drez said:

@espiegel123 said:

@drez said:

@espiegel123 said:

@drez said:

@espiegel123 said:

@drez said:

You are reading this as if you meant you specifically in my statement. I should have been more succinct in my pronouns. I was not meaning you the human. Replace that with someone or anyone.

Sigh

• This thread is getting very confusing. I can’t work out who is insulting whom with the way the replies are threaded..:

“It’s all kicking off Pru.”

• if You don’t want to use the forum, then use the Blip Interactive contact form to submit NS2 questions or bugs: https://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/contact.php

• @klownshed said:
    This thread is getting very confusing. I can’t work out who is insulting whom with the way the replies are threaded..:

I haven’t seen anybody insult anybody. I’ve seen disagreements and explanations. That’s what happens when people communicate and it’s very difficult in written forum as apposed to real life conversation.

Simply, I don’t understand why you don’t just post the same exact text you posted about NS2 hanging up earlier in the thread onto a new thread on the blip forum which is the official forum for the product. I just searched for what you posted in the blip forum already and I could not see an issue with any response you received. And you posted about not having audio tracks and the responders gave you work arounds with slate, you said that wouldn’t work for you and that was it. There were no guard dog responses to you. At all.

So you’ve already proven that you can post something over there that shows the shortcomings of NS2 and come out unscathed, what’s the problem with doing it again and possibly figuring out why it doesn’t work for you?

• edited March 2019

I can’t wait to try NS2 once audio tracks, AU FX automation, and AU midi business gets sorted. I’m just really pleased for the developer that he got it out there. What a labour of love. I also like that he was bold enough to drop IAA support. It is those kind of strokes that moves the scene forward in my view. Generally I think NS2 is great for iOS and I hope it takes off and brings more people in. The support forum is looking really healthy with great advice and resources being shared, etc. Good stuff!

I would love to see Matt, the developer, shooting the breeze here on ABF as well with our other cherished devs, but the same goes for Intua, and the Auria developer, too. Now I do ask myself what NS2 might have looked like on release if half the beta testers were beat crazed pad bangers but that’s just pure speculation! We’re spoilt for choice though. Lucky us. Can’t to see where it lands.

• @klownshed said:

@Stiksi said:

@klownshed said:

I haven’t seen any ”fiercely protective” replies to your posts on the NS2 forum, could you point out some so we can address the issue? What I have seen is suggestions for workarounds where functionality doesn’t exist and good natured discussion. If there’s a problem, don’t you think it’s better we know about it

My comment was suffixed by a ;-) and a bit tongue in cheek.

But look at the replies that precede yours. And compare the names of those that are trying to be insulting, bless them, with those on the ns2 forum. Do they match? So it’s a case of guilty by association in this case. I’ve not had any problems on that forum and I don’t want to start now.

The flak I’m already getting for saying here that I haven’t submitted a bug report yet as it’s quite a lot of work is quite enough thank you.

And no, I’m not going to another forum to tell them there’s a problem. That would go down swimmingly wouldn’t it?

You do get an awful lot of flak for saying anything negative about NS2 here. And as those being defensive are also ‘over there’ I’m not going to take flak on two forums at the same time.

Since this is not our forum, I’m not going to comment on what is being said here, but we’re very committed to keeping the tone constructive on the NS2 forum. If you have a bug to report or you are having problems with NS2, that’s the best place to get help.

There have been a good number of AUv3 related issues and Matt is working with the AUv3 devs to resolve them, so if you have a bug that we aren’t aware of, this would be the perfect time to report it.

• @Stiksi this IS your forum. Mine too. That’s the way @Michael let’s it flow. Open to all. Amazing really! 🙂

• @gusgranite said:
    @Stiksi this IS your forum. Mine too. That’s the way @Michael let’s it flow. Open to all. Amazing really! 🙂

Ok, I will clarify, as an individual commentor, I’m not responsible for the overall tone of this forum but I am a part of the mod team on the NS2 forum, so I do carry responsibility for the tone there.

• @Stiksi said:

@gusgranite said:
    @Stiksi this IS your forum. Mine too. That’s the way @Michael let’s it flow. Open to all. Amazing really! 🙂

Ok, I will clarify, as an individual commentor, I’m not responsible for the overall tone of this forum but I am a part of the mod team on the NS2 forum, so I do carry responsibility for the tone there.

Right, I see what you're saying. The mods do a great job here, too. They tend to let minor disagreements play out and only jump in when absolutely needed. In fact, I see there has been some 'self-modding' a couple of posts up which is the best way I'm sure you'll agree. :smiley:

Well nice to have you here. Have you been producing on iOS for a while? Any tunes you care to share?

Cheers.

• @gusgranite said:
    I also like that he was bold enough to drop IAA support.

As long as he doesn't drop the headphone jack! 😁 (sorry)

This discussion has been closed.