Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

NanoStudio 2 official thread

Comments

• @espiegel123 said:
    can the sniping about BM3 and NS2 just stop. Please.

@espiegel123 exactly..i tried to diffuse but I think drez is getting old. Chill @drez

• @drez said:

@stormbeats said:
    @dendy @drez i just do not understand why all the arguments . I think to end it there should be a musical collaboration b

etween you (ns2) and @Turntablist @winconway @5pinlink (bm3) combining the 2 apps. That way as we say in London then everyones ‘APPy (happy) mate.

I use BM3 everyday. I use it more than NS2. I basically haven’t worked on NS2 in a month. Is it because no audio tracks? No, its because I haven’t had the time to dedicate to finishing this song. Lately I try to work on a single song and finish it. I’ve got hundreds of ideas, I don’t need to keep building crap loops, I need to finish songs :lol: . BUT, I use BM3 everyday for finger drumming because it’s like shoving Maschine into an iPad. I love it. Even the stuff like polyphony per pad actually work right. Unlimited layers. And my favorite, the giant velocity trigger pad next to the 4x4 pads. It’s glorious on my 12.9” iPad Pro. Bottom line IMHO, it’s the best Maschine rip off without the hardware you can buy. Hands down.

I’m almost fifty years old. I try to keep dexterity up with my fingers and give them a change from the mouse and keyboard for work so I finger drum throughout the day. It’s helped with the finger numbness a bit and the CT.

So no I don’t need to collab with anybody to prove the two can coexist. I can collab with myself :lol: For proof, here’s a song I did in BM3

https://soundcloud.com/dreznicek/a-day-off-wip-1

My issue has zero to do with BM3. Or NS2. It’s not a software problem. It’s a hardware problem :lol: It’s the sweeping drive by jabs like nobody uses NS2 anymore with no evidence to prove the claim that I take issue with. I mean sure, you can say such a statement without empirical evidence of it or even with it (which was done in this thread)... but then prepare to be challenged also with empirical evidence ¯_(ツ)_/¯ . Welcome to the scientific method.

Nobody in the discord group had anything overtly negative to say about NS2 or anything like that. I think we all have agreed on that.

So if that’s the case...why would everybody stop using it? :lol:

...and if the claim is yes, nobody is using it anymore because there’s no audio tracks then just show me the data to back that up. Speaking it into existence doesn’t make it so. Are there some amount of people that aren’t using it because of audio tracks? Sure...but not everybody. I mean...if you bought it...you knew there wasn’t audio tracks in it yet :confused: . It says so right on the box!

It’s like if I said...

Drez: Nobody uses BM3 anymore because it doesn’t have a built in synth.
    Others: Can you prove this, drez?
    Drez: Well, a few of my friends told me directly, so it must be true for everybody. Ima go let everybody know this is fact in the BM3 channel.

Like...why would I ever make that statement? Even if my buddies and I didn’t use BM3 because of this, it doesn’t mean nobody is. It’s extrapolation from an extremely small set of users. Not only that...I can’t prove it to be true! Therefore, I don’t say it as truth. Could it be that...other people use BM3 with an AU or IAA synth? Obviously...the answer is yes. Then...most likely...they are still using BM3 :lol:

Well...could it be that...people are using NS2 in conjunction with...other applications that DO have audio tracks? If the answer is yes, we could probably agree that there are users that are actually doing that. Therefore...the absolute of nobody is probably a false statement,

NS2 has 77 people that rated NS2 at 4.8 at the App Store. That doesn’t seem to show people stopped using it because of no audio tracks. They rated it at 4.8 without audio tracks anyway :smile: I’d say that’s pretty good evidence that folks still see it useful in a non audio track world.

@drez Okay drez Ok .

• Ok @stormbeats and @espiegel123, let me know what to post and when. I’ll be ready! :+1:

:lol:

• @drez said:
    Ok @stormbeats and @espiegel123, let me know what to post and when. I’ll be ready! :+1:

:lol:

@drez ok drez ok

• edited March 2019

@drez
    Welcome to the scientific method.

:heart:

@espiegel123 said:

Man, try read between lines. I don't see any BM3 vs NS2 snipping in last 2-3 pages.

What is @drez trying to say (and to prove!) is deep profound thing. It fact, it has nothing to do with app1 vs. app2. App1 and App2 are in this case just symbolic objects used for describing true issue which is spreading beyond this small forum. Issue which pollutes whole world.

It's about conflict between empiric objective world of facts and science vs. irrational subjective world of pseudofacts, desinformations and missinterpretations.

• I know, since after all this channel is about NS2, let’s talk about all the positive things you’ve noticed or that have helped you when you are using NS2? That will change the mood :lol:

The best thing for me is since Obsidian doesn’t have the 340Meg memory limit on all instances like AU’s do, I can run 50 of them mixed with different oscillator types and never have it blow up because of an OOM on my 4Gig iPad Pro. I didn’t really realize this because I just kept loading them up and they just...work. UsualIy when I work with AU’s, I’ve been forced to watch out for some of the sample based AU’s because it limits the instances I can use. I tried to use 4 iSymphonic instances but it kept blowing up. I replaced those and now have 10 orchestral sample based Obsidian’s running with no hiccups. I’m think I’m going to sample my NI Symphonic VST’s to see how far I can push it.

@stormbeats @espiegel123 how about you guys? What’s your favorite or cool thing you’ve found when working in NS2?

• wimwim
    edited March 2019

@dendy said:

@drez
    Welcome to the scientific method.

:heart:

@espiegel123 said:

Man, try read between lines. I don't see any BM3 vs NS2 snipping in last 2-3 pages.

What is @drez trying to say (and to prove!) is deep profound thing. It fact, it has nothing to do with app1 vs. app2. App1 and App2 are in this case just symbolic objects used for describing true issue which is spreading beyond this small forum. Issue which pollutes whole world.

It's about conflict between empiric objective world of facts and science vs. irrational subjective world of pseudofacts, desinformations and missinterpretations.

Feeding trolls is feeding trolls. Whether done scientifically or not it is unwise.

• edited March 2019

@drez said:
    I know, since after all this channel is about NS2, let’s talk about all the positive things you’ve noticed or that have helped you when you are using NS2? That will change the mood :lol:

The best thing for me is since Obsidian doesn’t have the 340Meg memory limit on all instances like AU’s do, I can run 50 of them mixed with different oscillator types and never have it blow up because of an OOM on my 4Gig iPad Pro. I didn’t really realize this because I just kept loading them up and they just...work. UsualIy when I work with AU’s, I’ve been forced to watch out for some of the sample based AU’s because it limits the instances I can use. I tried to use 4 iSymphonic instances but it kept blowing up. I replaced those and now have 10 orchestral sample based Obsidian’s running with no hiccups. I’m think I’m going to sample my NI Symphonic VST’s to see how far I can push it.

@stormbeats @espiegel123 how about you guys? What’s your favorite or cool thing you’ve found when working in NS2?

@drez not knocking Ns2 but I launched it and for me it all felt but clustered the menu structure etc and being an Akai MPC dude those pads in NS2 look weird to me like the UI is not finished. Each to their own though but Bm3 is more for me being a sample dude for near 30 years.Will have another look at Ns2 when I complete my projects in bm3 - I recently downloaded Modstep and stepped away pun intended It was like spaghetti junction or the London Underground Map.

• @stormbeats said:
    @drez said:
    I know, since after all this channel is about NS2, let’s talk about all the positive things you’ve noticed or that have helped you when you are using NS2? That will change the mood :lol:

@drez not knocking Ns2 but I launched it and for me it all felt but clustered the menu structure etc and being an Akai MPC dude those pads in NS2 look weird to me like the UI is not finished. Each to their own though but Bm3 is more for me being a sample dude for near 30 years.Will have another look at Ns2 when I complete my projects in bm3 - I recently downloaded Modstep and stepped away pun intended It was like spaghetti junction or the London Underground Map.

I understand what you mean. If you are used to working the MPC then Slate in NS2 is probably not what you are used to seeing. The pads don’t have any space between them in Slate! I cannot finger drum on it nearly as well as I can BM3. I do like the bussing in Slate. I thought it was pretty limited when I started because I couldn’t do insert effects per pad, but that’s not really what blip is going for. I heard somebody else refer to it more as “a drum machine” and that seems pretty accurate. I can trigger other Slates on other channels through Midi Send and I have done it to isolate some specific sounds I want to trigger but it’s a bit of a nusaince to do. I own Maschine and having BM3 with everything right on the same screen with inserts is amazing. So for straight up drums and sampling, throwing them on pads, I’m still used to the BM3 workflow.

But primarily my style of music isn’t sample based, it’s more on the “melodic” side so the drum programming becomes “less important” in that style...meaning I’m just chunking down pretty standard drum kits, not cutting up a break. For that, I’m in BM3.

The one thing that I really like for “programming” drums in NS2 is the piano roll. I’ve been a user of NS1 as well so I’m kind of used to the layout so I was able to be proficient pretty quickly. Since I work mostly with Midi and less audio, its been a good match for me.

A cool thing dendy pointed out was that you can automate the sample start time in Obsidian, so you can do some pretty wicked things with vocal samples. Unlike chopping the vocal across transients, you can assign the start time to a knob and automate sweeping through the position as you retrigger. Kind of a cool granular effect if you do it slow with a ton of fast note retriggers. I was going to hook up some of the Midi FX with some randomization to see what kind of odd stuff would come out, but waiting until MIDI FX recording is implemented.

• @drez lovely journey, thank you for sharing!

• edited March 2019

Sample offset (and loop offset and loop length) automation / modulation is dope stuff..

And one of, for me totally most favourite things is using Rand1 / Rand2 modulation sources on Osc phase (or Sample offset if using Sample oscillator) to get "free running" oscillators like in old analogue synths .. it makes huge difference in sound, especially in combination with unison ... This is one of those "under the hood" features, not obvious for beginners, but with massive sound design power ...

Second great thing is using FM oscillator as stack of 3 independent oscillators .. you can virtually get patch with 9 oscillators thanks for this, every one with own envelope ! That's super powerfull ..

@drez
    I’m think I’m going to sample my NI Symphonic VST’s to see how far I can push it.

Please, just do it ! I'll buy it from you !!

• @dendy said:
    Sample offset (and loop offset and loop length) automation / modulation is dope stuff..

And one of, for me totally most favourite things is using Rand1 / Rand2 modulation sources on Osc phase (or Sample offset if using Sample oscillator) to get "free running" oscillators like in old analogue synths .. it makes huge difference in sound, especially in combination with unison ... This is one of those "under the hood" features, not obvious for beginners, but with massive sound design power ...

Second great thing is using FM oscillator as stack of 3 independent oscillators .. you can virtually get patch with 9 oscillators thanks for this, every one with own envelope ! That's super powerfull ..

@drez
    I’m think I’m going to sample my NI Symphonic VST’s to see how far I can push it.

Please, just do it ! I'll buy it from you !!

Very cool. Do you rate any other iOS synths? Interested to know what your favourites are.

• edited March 2019

@gusgranite said:
    Very cool. Do you rate any other iOS synths? Interested to know what your favourites are.

• Sunrizer (had JP8080 few years ago, one of my most favourite hw synths, sunrizer is very close, just a pity it lacks feedback oscillator from JP)
    • KQ Dixie (most faithfull DX7 clone on all platforms, and very clean interface. )
    • Troublemaker ( :heart: 303)
    • Ripplemaker ( great for experimentation, best oscillator FM modulation on iOS, period)
    • iOddysei (had Korg Arp Odyssei, this SW sounds like real thing, incredibly smooth satin sound)
    • Arturia iSEM (had original SemBlance module, again most faithfull reproduction from all arturia SW synths, beautifull filters and oscillators)
    • Korg iM1 - for classic oldschool '90 sounds
    • Waldorf NAVE - for me still best wavetable synth on iOS, somehow i cannot connect with any other even through it is not AUv3
  • edited March 2019

Oh and regarding FX, my ultimate collection is :smile:

• FAC Transient !! (totally crucial plugin for me, works like magic on everything)
    • BramBos Rozetta (mostly using Arp)
    • BramBos Perforator
    • AD Discord4
    • AD RoughRider
    • 4pockets Shimmer

For rest i'm using NS2 build in plugs .. But looking forward to FabFilter Saturn, after it will be available as AUv3 it will share first place with FAC Transient in my list

• @dendy said:

• Waldorf NAVE - for me still best wavetable synth on iOS, somehow i cannot connect with any other even through it is not AUv3

NAVE is great. And sample import always results in something interesting.
    Although I have to say I'm using the wavetable synth in Groove Rider much more often.

• FAC Transient !! (totally crucial plugin for me, works like magic on everything)

Just curious: How does it compare to NS2's built-in compressor used as a transient shaper?

• edited March 2019

@rs2000
    Just curious: How does it compare to NS2's built-in compressor used as a transient shaper?

I must admit that compressors aren't my strong side. I use build-in compressor mostly for sidechaining or for lowering dynamic range of sounds.. Didn't tried it for transient shaping - also FAC i don't use as "tweaker-user" but more as "preset-user" :)) - i just found few presets which works perfectly in certain situations, so i use them in those situations ...

For transient shaping FAC is total winner on iOS nothing is even remotely close to my experience :)

• Good stuff @dendy - I still don’t have Nave but my other synths give me enough options.

• @gusgranite said:
    Good stuff @dendy - I still don’t have Nave but my other synths give me enough options.

Just for the impermanent record, NAVE is one of those thing that I am happy to have irrespective of end musical use almost. Will open it up and poke and prod at it happily for half an hour...a simply interesting piece of software.

• @stormbeats : for synth-based music > @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@gusgranite said:
    Good stuff @dendy - I still don’t have Nave but my other synths give me enough options.

Just for the impermanent record, NAVE is one of those thing that I am happy to have irrespective of end musical use almost. Will open it up and poke and prod at it happily for half an hour...a simply interesting piece of software.

Do you have other wavetable synths? Wondering (since it is on sale) if Poseidon scratches the same itch as Nave.

• edited March 2019

@espiegel123 said:
    @stormbeats : for synth-based music > @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@gusgranite said:

Do you have other wavetable synths? Wondering (since it is on sale) if Poseidon scratches the same itch as Nave.

FYI, Poseidon is not currently AU, so loading it directly into NS2 isn’t possible.

EDIT: I LIED! They do have support for it! They should change their description text to reflect that

• @drez said:

@espiegel123 said:

@gusgranite said:

FYI, Poseidon is not currently AU, so loading it directly into NS2 isn’t possible.

EDIT: I LIED! They do have support for it! They should change their description text to reflect that

Fwiw, if a tool sounds great, I could care less if it is AU. (I realize NS2 is AU only but my interest in wavetable synths isn't limited to what NS2 can host.)

• @espiegel123 said:

@drez said:

@espiegel123 said:

@gusgranite said:

Fwiw, if a tool sounds great, I could care less if it is AU. (I realize NS2 is AU only but my interest in wavetable synths isn't limited to what NS2 can host.)

I think Poseidon is under-rated. Is it as elegant as NAVE? Not in my book, no.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@espiegel123 said:

@drez said:

@espiegel123 said:

@gusgranite said:

I think Poseidon is under-rated. Is it as elegant as NAVE? Not in my book, no.

Tx

• edited March 2019

just small evening experiment - delay time modulated by envelope in Obsidian :) Maybe interesting for somebody :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9aqzk6sr016z1u6/delay-time-mod.wav?dl=0

• @dendy said:
    just small evening experiment - delay time modulated by envelope in Obsidian :) Maybe interesting for somebody :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9aqzk6sr016z1u6/delay-time-mod.wav?dl=0

Woah. Can you post the patch?

• edited March 2019

https://www.dropbox.com/s/617l4ihgmdwueqp/ModDelay.zip?dl=0

just with different basic ocillators - i didn’t saved that original patch, there were used some single cycle model d waveforms, but that doesn’t matter for this example ... this one is with original obsidian oscillators, rest (modulated delay part) is same

basically most important is Env5 > Delay Time modulation

• I’m getting so much mileage out of Obsidian. So versatile. I find that I can load up a lot of AU’s and mimic a patch pretty well. Not everything, but most of the stuff I find useful I can recreate well enough. I would definitely like 32 notes of polyphony because Unison steals quite a bit if you are supersawing. If Matt kept adding devices, I would gladly IAP those. Would be a great way to sustain growth. I hear he’s still working on his convolution reverb, which would be very welcomed. A multiband compressor would be the ultimate, IMO.

• I would definitely like 32 notes of polyphony because Unison steals quite a bit if you are supersawing

hah yes ! I was fighting for 8 voices unison and 32 voices poly limit but Matt wanted to hold things efficient on older devices... i will
    definitely open topic again at some phase :trollface:

I hear he’s still working on his convolution reverb

yes, i already tested some pre alpha version and damn, that thing is great and SOO unbelievable efficient ... dope stuff !

A multiband compressor would be the ultimate

and multiband waveshaper !! Dreaming about that... hope one day...

• I poke in here to look for clues and this one is huge (while I wait for audio to be added).

@drez said:
    4 iSymphonic instances but it kept blowing up.
    Now have 10 orchestral (iSymphonic) sampled Obsidian’s running with no hiccups.

I need to look into this. Can someone make a video to show the way? Or point to a decent demo of this sampling feature using AU instruments for making "clones".

Bottom line: people love tools that can scale up without crashing. Scaling up keeps getting easier and but that crashing result is more and more common.

This discussion has been closed.