Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

[SOLVED] How to get Rozeta X0X to trigger Patterning 2 in AUM/Apematrix?

Quick tutorial, someone, preferably with apeMatrix? I've tried all combinations of MIDI in and out that I can see, and X0X is set to the Patterning template.

Comments

• edited December 2018

Well, I figured it out in AUM at least, but it seems pretty worthless because the Patterning pads don't obey the choke group rule. And AUM seemingly can't send multiple notes at a time or Patterning can't receive them, one or the other. I created a pattern using all 8 instruments, and after putting a bd on all 16 steps, all that plays is that kick.

Disappointing, but them's the breaks I guess.

• Ape Matrix
    1. Load Patterning 2. Make sure you select the Main Output. You can also load individual outputs, but you must have the main input loaded. You can mute it if needed.
    2. Load Rozeta XOX make sure it’s enabled
    3. On the midi window in Ape Matrix, touch the midi symbol at the top row, leftmost position. Put a check mark next to the Patterning 2 output
    4. Enable the connection between Rozeta and the midi out symbol
    5. Change Rozeta from channel 10 to channel 1
    6. Load the Patterning 2 Rozeta template
    5. In Patterning 2 go to the Record tab, then touch the Midi button at the bottom left. You should see a menu pop up. Keep Patterning 2 for the port, and keep channel 1. Then hit the Generate button. This will make the bindings to the pads.

• @wim said:
    Ape Matrix
    1. Load Patterning 2. Make sure you select the Main Output. You can also load individual outputs, but you must have the main input loaded. You can mute it if needed.
    2. Load Rozeta XOX make sure it’s enabled
    3. On the midi window in Ape Matrix, touch the midi symbol at the top row, leftmost position. Put a check mark next to the Patterning 2 output
    4. Enable the connection between Rozeta and the midi out symbol
    5. Change Rozeta from channel 10 to channel 1
    6. Load the Patterning 2 Rozeta template
    5. In Patterning 2 go to the Record tab, then touch the Midi button at the bottom left. You should see a menu pop up. Keep Patterning 2 for the port, and keep channel 1. Then hit the Generate button. This will make the bindings to the pads.

Thank you, this works with multiple simultaenous hits unlike in AUM, so it's infinitely more useful, but the Patterning pads still don't behave according to choke group. Gotta have my hats behave properly. If you've heard an LM1 open hihat, you'll understand that it's a real deal-killer.

Thanks again for your time though.

• Both X0X and AUM work with multiple simultaneous MIDI notes, so it must be some setting on Patterning's end in this case.

• @brambos said:
    Both X0X and AUM work with multiple simultaneous MIDI notes, so it must be some setting on Patterning's end in this case.

I don't doubt you on X0X, but AUM I'm not so sure there isn't a bug...I've had problems in the past getting X0X to trigger Ruismaker polyphonically in AUM as well (but never in apeMatrix). I changed nothing in Patterning 2 after getting it to work only monophonically in AUM then switching to apeMatrix, the polyphony indeed worked just fine.

Maybe I've screwed up some AUM settings somewhere, but either way, I know for sure the problem is not with your apps. The choke problem is Patterning's flaw as well.

• I've just tried again in AUM to be sure. The bass drum overrides everything else when sending multiple notes to Patterning. Ruismaker functions properly, though.

• @oat_phipps said:
    I've just tried again in AUM to be sure. The bass drum overrides everything else when sending multiple notes to Patterning. Ruismaker functions properly, though.

That kind of proves that X0X sends out multiple MIDI notes and AUM conveys them properly to another destination, doesn't it?

I suspect that Patterning doesn't support MIDI packets containing multiple simultaneous MIDI events and that ApeMatrix breaks those packets apart before sending the MIDI data onward to Patterning where AUM conveys the multi-event packets. Auria has the same issue with MIDI packets containing multiple events.

• @oat_phipps said:
    I've just tried again in AUM to be sure. The bass drum overrides everything else when sending multiple notes to Patterning. Ruismaker functions properly, though.

You’re right. I can replicate that in AUM with Patterning 2. Never had any issues with other apps and XOX though. I use it all the time with many different apps.

• edited December 2018

@brambos said:

@oat_phipps said:

That kind of proves that X0X sends out multiple MIDI notes and AUM conveys them properly to another destination, doesn't it?

I suspect that Patterning doesn't support MIDI packets containing multiple simultaneous MIDI events and that ApeMatrix breaks those packets apart before sending the MIDI data onward to Patterning where AUM conveys the multi-event packets. Auria has the same issue with MIDI packets containing multiple events.

Yes, that's what I was getting at. To be sure, I was never suggesting the problem was with X0X and edited my original post to clear that up for anybody who happens to read so they won't get the wrong idea.

And cool information on the packets, thanks for explaining it to the layman and for your input on this thread.

• Because I am trying to get one specific app to control Patterning 2 I was finding this thread helpful. Though it looks like the original intent was resolved I hope to still get some input on to how to solve a similar problem. It seems that Patterning 2 is still not set up right to allow for midi control and channel filtering options in AUM. @brambos, does yo your drum machine Ruismaker allow for other midi controller apps to control it and if so can you change the channel to to what ever you need and lastly are each drum sound linked to a different channel or different note?

For my needs I am looking for a drum machine that can be programmed to channel one and that each drum sound is on a midi note.

Thanks!

• _ki_ki
    edited December 2018

Midi channel or note replacement could done with a simple StreamByter script - but you can already configure specific notes in XoX and set the midi output channel for all notes.
    To split the XoX notes onto different midi channels i did write a SB script some time ago.

I also checked that the initial problem can be solved by just routing the XoX output through StreamByter (without a script) before routing it to Pattening 2. It seems that StreamByter splits the multi-note midi event into single midi events.

• @_ki said:
    Midi channel or note replacement could done with a simple StreamByter script - but you can already configure specific notes in XoX and set the midi output channel for all notes.
    To split the XoX notes onto different midi channels i did write a SB script some time ago.

I also checked that the initial problem can be solved by just routing the XoX output through StreamByter (without a script) before routing it to Pattening 2. It seems that StreamByter splits the multi-note midi event into single midi events.

do you have a link to that script mate?