Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

QuantiChord From Laurent Colson

13»

Comments

• I like to see midi assign option to presets changes.

• edited November 2018

@[Deleted User] said:
    I like to see midi assign option to presets changes.

Yeah me too and maybe some kind of sequencer like SPA so you can program a sequence of changing chord patterns which advances by incoming midi trigger or changes in beats/bars etc. And a strumming option with delay timing would be nice.

But I'm finding it fun when used with a chain of other midi fx so will get some use from this one for sure.

• @[Deleted User] said:
    I like to see midi assign option to presets changes.

Indeed it’s a shame actually that this didn’t just go into StepPolyArp, which is readily laid out for that.

• What are "AU Parameters" and how would I use them?

• edited November 2018

@_ki said:
    @Jumpercollins Here is a AB3 session wrapping the AUM session containing Rozeta Suite, QuantiChord and Sunrizer

Audiobus preset 'Generative QuantiChord - Abstract Music'

At first i tried to rebuild a pure AB3 but failed when trying to route Rozeta LFO to the QuantiChord parameters ...

Cheers great setup.

• @jigglypuff said:
    What are "AU Parameters" and how would I use them?

Comparable to MIDI CC, but with meaningful names and almost unlimited resolution. E.g. a synth AU could expose an AU Parameter named "VCF Cutoff" and let you set (or automate or record) the cutoff frequency with 10 decimals directly from the host. Also, there can be as many as the developer likes. They're vastly superior to the oldfashioned mechanism of MIDI CC. :)

• edited November 2018

@brambos said:

@jigglypuff said:
    What are "AU Parameters" and how would I use them?

Comparable to MIDI CC, but with meaningful names and almost unlimited resolution. E.g. a synth AU could expose an AU Parameter named "VCF Cutoff" and let you set (or automate or record) the cutoff frequency with 10 decimals directly from the host. Also, there can be as many as the developer likes. They're vastly superior to the oldfashioned mechanism of MIDI CC. :)

Wow, I didn’t know that! Great info.

• Just got this, does seem a bit bare bones at first, until you start using the quantize to get some variety going. A handy AU midi controller in the least. AU parameter expands it even more.

• @e121 said:
    Just got this, does seem a bit bare bones at first, until you start using the quantize to get some variety going...

The quantize... Then also using with the custom scale keyboard in apeMatrix. You can get some great progressions going.

Using all this on an iPhone by the way, where screen space is scarce, so the custom scale keyboard helps even more.

• Finally decided to drop some store credits on QuantiChord since Santa was so nice to me...
    (And well got a bunch of others too EG WaveShaper, Turnado, Camera 2+, ReasonCompact IAP and before Christmas NS2 and will get the AB3 IAP too to show my support)

It's an instant 'Techno & Trance' machine when combined with an arpeggiator such as Rozeta Arp or Step Poly Apr Unit. QuantiChord could be 'levelled up' a notch by allowing optional 'step duration' for strumming effects.

I've forgotten the nick for the developer but feel free to tag him in this thread :)

• It has strumming effects or do you mean in order to build them?

• @Telstar5 said:
    It has strumming effects or do you mean in order to build them?

It doesn't have them yet so...
    ...in order to build and do strums(one-shot mode) and arpeggios(loop mode) a step-delay option would be needed.

That's about the only features I miss in it.

It is growing on me. Using Rozeta Cells or Step Poly Arp Unit to sequence single notes playing very slow and feeding it to a synth app thru QuantiChord creates very nice pad back-drops...

For one-finger chords QuantiChord is hard to beat :)

• You could try feeding it through a streambyter script for strumming, maybe there’s a script already for that, might be one to ask Nic the SB developer about if not. Although yeah I’d like to see a native strumming function too.

Ironically I still prefer using steppolyarp for chords because even though it’s longer to setup you have more options overall, so I find QC can be fun to play around with but I’d love to see some of chordpolypad make it’s way as an AU as well, since using this as an IAA can be unstable for me in Audiobus.

• @Carnbot said:
    You could try feeding it through a streambyter script for strumming, maybe there’s a script already for that, might be one to ask Nic the SB developer about if not. Although yeah I’d like to see a native strumming function too.

Ironically I still prefer using steppolyarp for chords because even though it’s longer to setup you have more options overall, so I find QC can be fun to play around with but I’d love to see some of chordpolypad make it’s way as an AU as well, since using this as an IAA can be unstable for me in Audiobus.

Yeah, StepPoly Arp Unit works too in the 'sequencer' mode in particular where the sequence can be re-started on each key-press making it easy to 'play' the chord :)

• edited December 2018

I’m fairly certain the dev has said CPP won’t be AU as he didn’t see the need. I use it all the time in split screen/side by side mode (whatever you call it). I understand wanting it as AU for state saving but one thing I often find annoying with AUs is constantly having to move windows out of the way. First world problems I know.

• @yowza said:
    I’m fairly certain the dev has said CPP won’t be AU as he didn’t see the need. I use it all the time in split screen/side by side mode (whatever you call it). I understand wanting it as AU for state saving but one thing I often find annoying with AUs is constantly having to move windows out of the way. First world problems I know.

Overall I just find AUs are more stable, recently for me CPP is just not staying in the session and needing reloading etc, in the end I’m looking for an AU solution for stability and yeah, easy session saving. The window arrangement is basically up to the hosts to organise but AB just gives a single screen view like IAA anyway.

• Ooops i totally see this for the first time. Completely missed this plugin. If one has KB-1 is there something one can get out of quantichord which will not be provided by KB-1?! There are only a few videos on tube. Laurent’s one was really great ;) Doug’s Videos will be checked later - thanks!

• @david_2017 said:
    Ooops i totally see this for the first time. Completely missed this plugin. If one has KB-1 is there something one can get out of quantichord which will not be provided by KB-1?! There are only a few videos on tube. Laurent’s one was really great ;) Doug’s Videos will be checked later - thanks!

If or when KB-1 gets a 'chord memory' feature for one-finger chords things will start cooking :)

• @Samu said:

@david_2017 said:
    Ooops i totally see this for the first time. Completely missed this plugin. If one has KB-1 is there something one can get out of quantichord which will not be provided by KB-1?! There are only a few videos on tube. Laurent’s one was really great ;) Doug’s Videos will be checked later - thanks!

If or when KB-1 gets a 'chord memory' feature for one-finger chords things will start cooking :)

Thanks Samu. I don’t quite get it. Is there a feature that will allow these cool chords but let’s say in key of c the app knows I have a major chord on root key (c) and on the second (d) it’s minor that is Dminor and the third is minor again, Eminor the forth is major again.... and so forth. So I have these cool jazzz chords and the apps knows which one will be major and minor automatically?!?

• @david_2017 said:

@Samu said:

@david_2017 said:

Thanks Samu. I don’t quite get it. Is there a feature that will allow these cool chords but let’s say in key of c the app knows I have a major chord on root key (c) and on the second (d) it’s minor that is Dminor and the third is minor again, Eminor the forth is major again.... and so forth. So I have these cool jazzz chords and the apps knows which one will be major and minor automatically?!?

That is where the 'scale quantise' comes to play in QuantiChord(Just un-tap the notes that are off-scale).

For me one-finger chords are for lazy times and fat chords.
    Let's say you have the root, 5th and then one octave above.
    That would be 0,7,12 for transpose values and work in all keys.

Or maybe one would need to trigger just root-note but at different octaves.
    (so -24,-12,0,12,24).

For a C-Major triad the note values would be 0,4,7 and then you'd just remove 'off scale' notes in QuantiChord and it will automatically move the miss-matched note one semi-tone up.

Then we have other options like -5,0,2,7. QuantiChord invites one to play around with 'stuff' :)

• Thanks for the tips Sami!

• Great app, just like StepPolyArp. Very helpful.

• @Samu thank you bro! I may need to read the manual and see if I have a use case for it in my workflow. It really looks awesome when combined with SPA, I like Laurent’s stuff. Well thought through ;)
    Have a good one!!!

• @david_2017 said:
    @Samu thank you bro! I may need to read the manual and see if I have a use case for it in my workflow. It really looks awesome when combined with SPA, I like Laurent’s stuff. Well thought through ;)
    Have a good one!!!

You can kinda ’simulate’ the QuantiChord effect in StepPolyArp using it’s sequencer to trigger chords and use the keyboard to transpose the sequence.
    (Ie. Set it to run at slow speed 1/1 or so, the sequence will stop when you lift the keys so depending on the need to sustain chords set their lenght to the maximum you need).

• :'(
    A warning for fellow travellers :

• Requires iOS 12