Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

QuantiChord From Laurent Colson

Comments

• @Daveypoo said:
    Does QuantiChord map the same chord to every note played, or can you map it to a scale and have it play the correct chords up and down the scale?

If I understand you correctly, the latter.

• edited November 2018

@ExAsperis99 said:
    Surely you're not restricted to a single chord — can't you program a sequence? It seems to be like an AU Navichord? Seems unfair to frame it this way right out of the gate. Has anybody used it yet?

I got it and I send it's output to Rozeta Arp with excellent results using AUM, apeMatrix to create an AU MIDI a matrix. Then I also sent it's output to a Synth PAD and to Rozeta Bassline to pick roots for a bass synth.

It becomes the generator for a chord progression which suits my training from Arranger Keyboards: C major, A minor, F major, G sus4-G sus2 (loop). It was on sale so I made the leap into sequanced AU MIDI chords.

Sounds like I should invest in some of the "upscale" polyphonic sequencers too. Eventually I'll own everything. I just need to figure out how to reclaim disk space and not have to delete big Apps.

• _ki_ki
    edited November 2018

@McDtracy How do you manage to automatically generate your chord progression (C maj, A min, F maj,G sus4 G sus2) from QuantiChord AU ?
    What is the input note(s) ? and the transformation steps needed ?

• @_ki said:
    @McDtracy How do you manage to automatically generate your chord progression (C maj, A min, F maj,G sus4 G sus2) from QuantiChord AU ?

Oops. Looks like I bought NoviChord and use it as I indicated. Sorry for the confusion.

NoviChord makes my generative experiments a lot more musical with progressions as the initial AUv3 MIDI source into Riffer, Rozeta Arp, Basslin, etc.

• @Samu said:

@thesoundtestroom said:
    Here is my demo for QuantiChord

Just as I suspected...

Nice video but to bring this app to a 'must have' status for me it could use a strum/one-shot sequence mode.
    (I've become a lot more picky in my road to curing my app-o-holism).

This could be done by setting the 'step interval'. At 0 it would be just as it is and with other values it could strum or step-thru the notes.

Yes like to see it progress into something like Plugin boutiques Scaler with the strum functionality that gives you.

• Mind if you midi link inside AUM, SPAU Into QuantiChord it’s quite a powerful combo changing presets on the fly once parameter control come even more so.

• edited November 2018

Questions:

1 ) Can a different chord be set up for each note of the 12 in an octave?

2 ) Does this do anything a little more "musical" like a "harmonised scale"?

My Keith McMillen 12 Step can be programmed to do something like this. As can Navichord to some extent.

3 ) Can this app "quantise" notes played to the harmony/scale-type for an incoming chord played on a separate channel ?

• This App has the Piano key velocity wrong - it gets louder when you play more up on the keys.
    Exactly contrary to a real Piano, which is quite confusing.

• @McDtracy said:

@_ki said:

Oops. Looks like I bought NoviChord and use it as I indicated. Sorry for the confusion.

NoviChord makes my generative experiments a lot more musical with progressions as the initial AUv3 MIDI source into Riffer, Rozeta Arp, Basslin, etc.

I tried the NaviChord driving Rozetta Arp into a synth setup in AUM on my iPhone and Navichord fails to drive anything at all with it's MIDI out. Arg.

• @tja said:
    This App has the Piano key velocity wrong - it gets louder when you play more up on the keys.

Many apps suffer from this and could use a 'flip y-axis' option.
    Stand-alone Moog's Model D and Model 15 are just two of these examples.

Thankfully I mostly use Model D & 15 as AUv3's where I can use the host keyboard.

• edited November 2018

Wow, this app looks like exactly what I've been looking for. Very cool. My hardware synth has a chord memory (play a single note and it plays the massive chord you snapshot), but it is "dumb" chords, it won't switch the majors to minors and keep in key. I'd used some of the chord apps before, but it took a lot of headscratching to create a set of chords that all were in key, and midi learning each to be triggered by their root note. It would be fine for a song you wrote, but cumbersome for exploration.

For use case, here are a few ideas.

• midi harmonizer. With analog synths with two oscillators you can tune differently, it sounds great to tune them to an interval, like a third, great, but then as you play other notes, it sounds sour, because the harmony isn't changing from major third to minor third, to stay in key. For this sad limitation, I usually stick my tail between my legs and tune the oscillators to "safe" intervals, like a fifth, or an octave. Yawn.
    • With a keyboard split to do two sounds, playing chords by triggering the root note with your left hand, while you play something more complicated with your right.
    • using a midi foot keyboard, like the roland PK-5, to play synth chords, while you play guitar. Really fun for jamming ideas where you don't have a chord progression nailed down. Your accompaniment can follow your meandering changes.
    • sending big chords to arps, with one hand, while you're playing something with the other hand. The arps would stay in key. StepPolyArp does this, but hey, you could use this with other arps that aren't as evolved.
    • Sound design. Some thin synth sounds will sound magical with a big chord that spans a few octaves, and not necessarily like a big chord, more, just a thick note. Something like this utility would allow you to get the thirds in there without limiting your choice in notes. This would open up possibilities with synths that can change parameters over the range of the keyboard.
  • _ki_ki
    edited November 2018

An update including AU parameters just arrived, i already have something generative running in AUM :)

Rozeta Bassline & Paricles as rythmic note inputs into QuantiChord with 3 LFOs modulating the chord offsets - output to Sunrizer AU. Sounds like someone improvising B)

• edited November 2018

@Samu said:

@tja said:
    This App has the Piano key velocity wrong - it gets louder when you play more up on the keys.

Many apps suffer from this and could use a 'flip y-axis' option.
    Stand-alone Moog's Model D and Model 15 are just two of these examples.

Thankfully I mostly use Model D & 15 as AUv3's where I can use the host keyboard.

actually, prefer it this way due to the disparity of velocity between the black and white keys when using the touchscreen.

• @[Deleted User] said:

actually, prefer it this way due to the disparity of velocity between the black and white keys when using the touchscreen.

Yeah, it's a matter of taste. My preference comes from the way I play the traditional keyboard as it's easier to smash the keys at higher velocity at the edge of the keys rather than on the top :)

• @Samu said:

@[Deleted User] said:

Yeah, it's a matter of taste. My preference comes from the way I play the traditional keyboard as it's easier to smash the keys at higher velocity at the edge of the keys rather than on the top :)

solution is a button to change direction in this case :-) inverted y-axis is much better for subtle playing when using both white and black keys on touchscreen.

• edited November 2018

Ok the AU parameter update pushed me off the fence :) Very nice. Hope he does the same for StepPolyArp.
    velocity sliders too would be a bonus.

• You can drive QuantiChord by using a midi AU chain within AUM, by putting SPA unit into it which works quite nicely.

• _ki_ki
    edited November 2018

For my test „generative QuantiChord setup“ i drive it by a Rozeta Bassline changing between 7 rythmic patterns and a Rozeta Particles for additonal note events in higher pitches.
    The chord itself is manipulated by 3 tempo-synced and scaled LFOs and that output runs through QuantiChords quantizer to stay in scale.

• Love to see some videos of this, getting confused with the recent spate of keyboard chord gizmos...

• @MonzoPro said:
    Love to see some videos of this, getting confused with the recent spate of keyboard chord gizmos...

Same. @_ki has a lovely description and screen shot--and I fancy myself a pretty astute fellow. But that looks like boffinery even when squinting.

• @_ki said:
    The chord itself is manipulated by 3 tempo-synced and scaled LFOs and that output runs through QuantiChords quantizer to stay in scale.

By doing it that way, you end up with collections of notes, but not necessarily musically accurate chords though right?

I was really hoping AU parameters would allow setting actual, legit, chord voicings, not just random, scale constrained notes.

Doing it this way is no different from just running Particles or some other au that poops out random notes and running it through Scaler.

It seems the entire POINT of a chord app is to generate legal, musically legit chords. This app doesn't seem to do that.

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@MonzoPro said:
    Love to see some videos of this, getting confused with the recent spate of keyboard chord gizmos...

Same. @_ki has a lovely description and screen shot--and I fancy myself a pretty astute fellow. But that looks like boffinery even when squinting.

Yeah, I’m also eyeing up the KB-1 app, so trying to work out which is best for my needs.

Lots of clever stuff going on above, just need to check it’s not too clever for my old head.

• @MonkeyDrummer By doing it that way, you end up with collections of notes, but not necessarily musically accurate chords though right?

Hmm, you are right - in my example the quantizer limits the notes to C,E,F#,G,B which are part of a G scale - so my test session can build only harmonies from these limitd notes like Cmaj CEG and others that fit. So that’s why it sounds consistent.

I was really hoping AU parameters would allow setting actual, legit, chord voicings, not just random, scale constrained notes.

In case of QuantiChords one would need to animate the selected preset (which is not possible) - or 8 offsets plus 12 on/off switches (would need a complicated script)

Doing it this way is no different from just running Particles or some other au that poops out random notes and running it through Scaler.

If i think about it, i must admit the only difference to Particles/Collider or Physicles is that this setup always spits out multiple simulaneous notes that run through scaler. But in fact i could replace QuanitChord by a StreamByter script generating 2-4 additional notes in random offsets and feed that to a Rozeta Scaler.

• @_ki said:
    For my test „generative QuantiChord setup“ i drive it by a Rozeta Bassline changing between 7 rythmic patterns and a Rozeta Particles for additonal note events in higher pitches.

@_ki Any chance you can save this setup you have shown to AB3 and post a Audiobus preset?

• _ki_ki
    edited November 2018

@Jumpercollins Here is a AB3 session wrapping the AUM session containing Rozeta Suite, QuantiChord and Sunrizer

Audiobus preset 'Generative QuantiChord - Abstract Music'

At first i tried to rebuild a pure AB3 but failed when trying to route Rozeta LFO to the QuantiChord parameters ...

• edited November 2018

@MonkeyDrummer said:

@_ki said:

By doing it that way, you end up with collections of notes, but not necessarily musically accurate chords though right?

It seems the entire POINT of a chord app is to generate legal, musically legit chords. This app doesn't seem to do that.

Looks like you use a quantiser to allow your chord to become diatonic to any scale you wish so it can be musical 🎶 pretty clever.

• @_ki said:

Do you know if you can switch presets via midi?

• This is a great app if you don't have Step Poly arp. If you do have it, it perhaps only adds a few extra things you can't do with that already. Still worth it but perhaps it'd be great to see some of ChordPoly pad features make it's way into this app as well, to give it a bit more chord power :)

• Hold on hold on hold on...

I just had a wow effect here...

I have used QuantiChord in AUM together with scaleBud (should work with KB-1 either).

Just set the scale in scaleBud, midi out into QuantiChord midi out into a piano app...

Very impressive, highly recommended!

• Great app. Nicely laid out. Does not need any other features. It is perfect.